• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ domestic competitions 2018

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Geez that was one great game of rugby to watch, Manu and Rayisi are a couple of good young players aren't they?

It speaks to the shambles at the Blues that Manu was called in to the Blues this season due to injuries and not once did Tana think about playing him in the midfield. Instead he stuffed around with Rieko at 12 and at one stage Collins at 13. Great job Tana...

As for Rayasi yes he looks a class winger - be interesting to see whether he picks up a Super contract or goes back to 7s - he looks Super Rugby quality for sure.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In case anyone's wondering where the Ranfurly Shield could potentially end up this year the good people at mitre10cup.co.nz have put together this handy road map:

Who can hold the Shield this year?

"Waikato: Waikato are the current holders and face two more challenges this year against Southland in round seven and Otago in round nine.

"Southland: The Stags challenge for the shield in round seven. If they are successful they will face challenges from Bay of Plenty in round eight and Auckland in round nine.

"Otago: Otago will challenge for the shield in round nine provided current holders Waikato get past Southland in round seven.

"Bay of Plenty: If Southland lift the shield from Waikato in round seven, Bay of Plenty will challenge for it in round eight.

"Auckland: If Southland lift the shield from Waikato in round seven and defend it against Bay of Plenty in round eight, Auckland will challenge Southland in round nine.

"Northland: If Bay of Plenty lift the shield from Southland (should they beat Waikato), then Northland will challenge Bay of Plenty in round nine.

"North Harbour: If Auckland lift the shield from Southland (should they beat Waikato then defend against Bay of Plenty), North Harbour will challenge Auckland in round nine."

I seriously doubt Southland's ability to win it (paying ~$10 atm) so for mine it's Waikato or Otago.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Extraordinary half of footy in Napier, 62 points scored inc nine tries. Jack Deb having a pretty good outing for Taniwha.

EDIT: J-J Taulagi going well for 'pies as well.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Second 40 just as remarkable as the first but for different reasons.

Highlights usually run to just over three minutes, this one's just under six.............

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Meanwhile mighty 'nua have officially marked both their 125th anniversary as a Union, and the 25th anniversary of their legendary Division Three triumph with a series of events:

https://www.hkrfu.co.nz/125th-year-anniversary-celebrations/

Plenty of familiar faces in those pics, eh Dan54 :)

By geez is there what WOB, I see Sam Tovo got back for it, and for the Aussies, the Man at the front left hand side as we look at it, next to Carlos Spencer is the Dad of Ben O'Donnell the Aussie 7s player! Geez there is a few there I have had a beer with over the years WOB! Also didn't realise that Selica Winiata from the Black Ferns was an ex Athletic player.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Second 40 just as remarkable as the first but for different reasons.

Highlights usually run to just over three minutes, this one's just under six.....

By geez highly entertaining game, not sure I would want to watch too many more like it though, making tackles seemed to be at the defender's option! There was some good attack at times, but what I did enjoy was watching that young 10 for the Bay, 1st year out of school he looked pretty, seemed to read the game well and more importantly when he took ball to line held it in 2 hands to keep defence guessing a bit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty ordinary game that one between BOP and the Tu, not one I would bother watching a replay of. Christ they spilt some ball!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't say I saw this coming........

Aucks still on top c/- bonus points but at least we now know they're vulnerable in certain areas.

Wellys v Mako tonight now assumes even greater significance.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep WOB, have to say I was mightily surprised with the result to! Not sure if Auckland weren't switched on before game, but by geez Ieremia and co must of been a bit pissed with the effort or lack of it by some of the players. Akira was a case in point, does some great stuff then just seems to stand around, I saw him hit only one ruck all game, he actually came in and leant on a couple more, I a bit of a fan of Pa'apilii, and reckon on what I been seeing looks more future AB material than Akira, but maybe i just being harsh on Akira after last night's game as I know there a few fans of his on here. I really hope he proves me wrong! That young 9 for Otago looked not bad, as did of course Faddes who always seems to go well.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting backgrounder on Southland's woes & coupla egqually interesting comments (plus the inevitable drop-kick one, this being stuff.co.nz :)):

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/p...not-the-answer-for-struggling-southland-stags

Mind boggling that East Coast have now strung together 39 straight losses. By most measures they're the smallest & poorest of the Unions but that's gotta be soul-destroying for the players, fans & the volunteers who keep the game alive out those ways.

EDIT: make that 40 consecutive losses, thumped 7-56 by Mid Canterbury.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mooloos too good for Stags who led at QT before giving up 35 unanswered:

Meanwhile mighty 'nua have upset King Country & leap-frogged them into fourth in the Heartland Championship.

http://www.heartlandchampionship.co.nz/News/33168/tight-contest-at-head-of-heartland-table

Wanganui consolidated their lead but South Canterbury got tipped over so they, Thames Valley, mighty 'nua & King Country are now scrapping for the other SF berths & makes next week's TV v 'nua match crucial. I may have to see if I can get over to Te Aroha for it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wanganui consolidated their lead but South Canterbury got tipped over so they, Thames Valley, mighty 'nua & King Country are now scrapping for the other SF berths & makes next week's TV v 'nua match crucial. I may have to see if I can get over to Te Aroha for it.
Think nephew is hoping to be AR at the Nua/TV game WOB, sister was over here last week and says regardless she will probably go down from Auckland for the game, loves the Heartland comp she says!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ if I do get across I'll be sure not to advise the AR's as to which optometrist they should've visited, wouldn't want to inadvertently offend your nephew :).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
сайтовs move into second:

Aucks only a point back & have a game in hand, albeit they've yet to have their three-games-in-eight-days Round, so still looking pretty good for top qualifier.