• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ domestic competitions 2018

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hey Dan, I wouldn't have thought learning their trade would involve starting in the semi finals of the Mitre 10 Cup competition.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I hope Dan54 was watching.

Akira played the damn house down.

Scored 2 powerful close range tries. Set up another try.

Won lineouts, made a heap of tackles, won turnovers.

Was the best player on the field and frankly made Hansen look silly.

dbcooper

Frank Nicholson (4)

Two nice driving tackles that took the Wellington players over the sideline.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I was watching, and thinking, why can't you do this more often you f***en plank!! There is no question of his ability , as I have said ad nauseam,it's his attitude that is his problem. All he needs to do is repeat this performance at super level a few times, and hit a couple of rucks and he will be in!! You cannot build a career with one good game a year, well not outside Auckland:p

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I was watching, and thinking, why can't you do this more often you f***en plank!! There is no question of his ability , as I have said ad nauseam,it's his attitude that is his problem. All he needs to do is repeat this performance at super level a few times, and hit a couple of rucks and he will be in!! You cannot build a career with one good game a year, well not outside Auckland:p

It's amazing what happens when he gets some decent coaching (same goes for a lot of the Auckland boys).

Thankfully with Coventry on board at the Blues next year (and MacDonald with the backs) the Blues players might actually have half a chance.

Overall - absolutely stoked to get a home final. As an Auckland fan this season has been so refreshing. An Auckland team that is well drilled, smart and tough. Whatever happens in the final it has been a great season.

Awesome work that the final at Eden Park is free entry - should make for a good crowd.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You do have to pinch yourself to remind yourself it's Auckland you are watching sometimes don't you Kiwi? They certainly are a joy to watch, as I might add the other finalists in both divisions. Would be pretty happy toe see Auckland take it out, as I believe they have set the standard this year!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FINAL MATCH-UPS

Mitre 10 Cup Premiership Final
Auckland v Canterbury
Saturday 27 October
Eden Park, Auckland - kick off 4.05pm (Free Entry)

Mitre 10 Cup Championship Final
Waikato v Otago
Friday 26 October
FMG Stadium Waikato, Hamilton - kick off 7.35pm

Mitre 10 Heartland Championship – Mead Cup Final
South Canterbury v Thames Valley
Saturday 27 October
Alpine Energy Stadium, Timaru - kick off 1.05pm

Mitre 10 Heartland Championship – Lochore Cup Final
Horowhenua Kapiti v Wairarapa Bush
Sunday 28 October
Levin Domain, Levin - kick off 2.35pm

Coupla strange KO times in there, presumably Eden Park have used up their quota of after-dark finishes for the year (nice one, Residents or Neighbours Ass'n, whichever is the anti- one) & why would you start thevMeads Cup before the Lochore?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pretty sure the big boys final is (also) early because the All Blacks test is at 7pm the same night.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^^^^^^ Alama Ieremia called it "a statement and a half":
Yep but then adds he still got things to work on to get to next level!

"Yes, he's still got areas to work on for the next level, but hopefully today is an endorsement of the potential he can offer a team. " Couldn't agree more, so Alama agrees with me!

In a good note ARU are allowing free entry to final next week. Great stuff!!
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...emiership-final-declaring-our-fans-deserve-it

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
FINAL MATCH-UPS

Mitre 10 Heartland Championship – Lochore Cup Final
Horowhenua Kapiti v Wairarapa Bush
Sunday 28 October
Levin Domain, Levin - kick off 2.35pm
Geez WOB, I going to be in Levin a couple of weeks late :mad:. Just throwing in a quick trip over to NZ Levin via Chch as I seem finally found I am great at something, even if I could only do it by becoming a Great Grandfather, but can't get over to explain the meaning of life, the importance of body position when entering rucks etc until early November because of work !!

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep but then adds he still got things to work on to get to next level!

"Yes, he's still got areas to work on for the next level, but hopefully today is an endorsement of the potential he can offer a team. " Couldn't agree more, so Alama agrees with me!

The issue is there are a heap of loose forwards currently in the ABs that have just as much to work on in their games as Akira does.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The issue is there are a heap of loose forwards currently in the ABs that have just as much to work on in their games as Akira does.

For sure, but I still think Akira's main work on, only Akira can sort out, not something that can be coached. And that's to stop being a lazy bastard! I was just pointing out even his own provincial coach pointed it out he needs to work on it BEFORE he makes the step up!

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Auckland team to play Canterbury:

1 Sam Prattley (Pakuranga)
2 Robbie Abel (College Rifles)
3 Marcel Renata (University)
4 Fa’atiga Lemalu (Papatoetoe)
5 Michael Fatialofa (Ponsonby)
6 Evan Olmstead (Suburbs)
7 Adrian Choat (Waitemata)
8 Akira Ioane (Ponsonby)
9 Jonathan Ruru (University)
10 Harry Plummer (Grammar TEC)
11 Salesi Rayasi (Marist)
12 TJ Faiane – Captain (Pakuranga)
13 Tumua Manu (College Rifles)
14 Melani Nanai (Manukau Rovers)
15 Jordan Trainor (Ponsonby)

16 Mike Sosene-Feagai (Mt Wellington)
17 Jarred Adams (Suburbs)
18 Marco Fepulea’i (Ponsonby)
19 Taleni Seu (Grammar TEC)
20 Hoskins Sotutu (Marist)
21 Leon Fukofuka (Marist)
22 Daniel Kirkpatrick (University)
23 Caleb Clarke (Suburbs)

The sides have played a total of 101 times with the honours split straight down the middle at 48 wins apiece and 5 draws.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Graham Henry on Sumo Stevenson's podcast this week.

He has a dig at the All Blacks for not picking Akira.

Sumo himself then also gets stuck into the ABs for not picking Akira.

Excellent stuff.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/watch-the-short-ball-s03e40-sir-graham-henry-pops-in-for-a-chat

I found the most interesting thing was Henry saying how the coaches have developed such a good culture for the players to thrive and use their skills, same as what I have read about Razor Robertson at Crusaders, giving the players ownership of their game seems to pay dividends!

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Canterbury:

George Bridge, Josh McKay, Braydon Ennor, Phil Burleigh, Caleb Makene, Brett Cameron, Mitchell Drummond (captain), Luke Whitelock, Billy Harmon, Reed Prinsep, Mitchell Dunshea, Luke Romano, Sef Fa'agase, Nathan Vella, Alex Hodgman
Reserves: Brodie McAlister, Harry Allan, Chris King, Tom Sanders, Tom Christie, Ere Enari, Sam Beard, Ngane Punivai.