• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nz domestic rugby 2020

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez another bloody good game and best of all the good guys won!! Glad the ref pulled up both obstructions early in game, for an lod bugger I really dislike how often players have got away with looping around behind teammates . That was pretty good in conditions, As rightly pointed out Aumua had a tasty game, thought Fletcher Smith went ok at 10, I still think the difference there the last couple of weeks is Jordie back at 15 coming in and taking a lot of pressure off the 10s. I think I will decide I have seen some good rugby over the weekend which always sets me up for week ahead!

Something else that pleased me 30 minutes after game (I was still watching tragic that I am) the Canes and Clan were still out signing autographs and doing selfies etc, it was pissing down, and just as good was to see the number of fans still there getting them!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The Hannan Shield Unions (North Otago, South- & Mid Canterbury) & Buller will play each other home & away in September & October.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-hera...ition-saves-south-canterbury-rep-rugby-season

Hopefully something similar can be arranged in the North: King Country, Wanganui, Horowhenua-Kapiti & Wairarapa Bush would make a good grouping.

I think the Mighty Nua playing Wairarapa in Otaki , the Wellington Lions are playing the Turbos (preseason) as curtainraiser, part of fundraiser for Sam Doyle.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Seems Sotutu looking doubtful for this weekend, just another 8-9 to go and the Canes got em on toast!!;)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hurricanes: Jordie Barrett, Kobus van Wyk, Peter Umaga-Jensen, Ngani Laumape, Ben Lam, Jackson Garden-Bachop, TJ Perenara (cc), Ardie Savea, Du’Plessis Kirifi, Reed Prinsep, Scott Scrafton, James Blackwell, Tyrel Lomax, Dane Coles (cc), Ben May. Reserves: Asafo Aumua, Fraser Armstrong, Alex Fidow, Isaia Walker-Leawere, Vaea Fifita, Jamie Booth, Billy Proctor, Wes Goosen.

BLUES: Beauden Barrett, Emoni Narawa, Rieko Ioane, Harry Plummer, Mark Telea, Otere Black, Finlay Christie; Akira Ioane, Dalton Papalii, Aaron Carroll, Josh Goodhue, Patrick Tuipulotu (capt), Ofa Tu’ungafasi, Kurt Eklund, Alex Hodgman. Reserves: Tolai Luteru, Marcel Renata, Sione Mafileo, Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, Tony Lamborn, Jonathan Ruru, TJ Faiane, Matt Duffie.

DC was meant to debut but withdrew due to a calf injury:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-by-calf-injury-beauden-barrett-remains-at-15

Caleb Clark at his granddad's funeral & no Sam Nock again so he's gotta be either injured or done something wrong.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wish I could make up my mind on this one WOB, obviously Canes bias is showing head is saying Blues, but they will be stuffed after that game last weekend............................

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ 'canes by three in extra time c/- a JBar monster penalty, possibly taken from 10m in front of where the infringement occurred:). Already looking forward to Dismal's reaction piece.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I can't actually believe the Canes brought back JGB to 10 and left Fletcher Smith out of the 23. Smith was very good last week and really energised the Canes attack I thought. JGB is like the 10 version of Ruru.

Beaudy vs Coles part 2 - bring it on haha.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
akira-ioane.png

Just leaving this here re: Akira.

https://tiponrugby.substack.com/p/centre-of-attention

His workload over 2018 and 2019 included 80-minute performances in 28 of his team’s 32 games, and between 2016 and 2019 he bore the highest workload in attack of any of the players charted above: he contributed 9.4% of his team’s carries during this period, while also beating defenders the most regularly and making more metres per carry than everyone except Ardie Savea and Dalton Papali’i. (Ioane averaged 2.1 more carries per 80 minutes than Savea over this period, and 6.3 more than Papali’i.)

This data cannot prove or disprove that Ioane met the standards that the All Blacks selectors were asking him to meet, but it does provide evidence to contradict the assertion that only now is he providing an acceptable level of on-field performance.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cruden benched, Trask to start at 5/8:

Chiefs: Damian McKenzie, Sean Wainui, Anton Lienert-Brown, Alex Nankivell, Solomon Alaimalo, Kaleb Trask, Brad Weber, Pita Gus Sowakula, Sam Cane (c), Lachlan Boshier, Mitchell Brown, Tupou Vaa’i, Nepo Laulala, Bradley Slater, Aidan Ross. Reserves: Samisoni Taukei’aho, Reuben O’Neill, Ross Geldenhuys, Adam Thomson, Mitchell Karpik, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Aaron Cruden, Quinn Tupaea.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-benched-as-winless-chiefs-look-to-the-future

Josh Ioane back for Clan so no room for Bryn Gatland:

Highlanders: Michael Collins, Josh McKay, Rob Thompson, Sio Tomkinson, Scott Gregory, Mitch Hunt, Aaron Smith (cc), Marino Mikaele-Tu’u, Shannon Frizell, Dillon Hunt, Jack Whetton, Pari Pari Parkinson, Siate Tokolahi, Ash Dixon, Ayden Johnston. Replacements: Liam Coltman (cc), Ethan De Groot, Jeff Thwaites, Manaaki Selby-Rickit, Jesse Parete, Folau Fakatava, Josh Ioane, Jona Nareki

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ers-name-josh-ioane-on-bench-for-chiefs-clash

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
HT 15-15.

Blues went better when dipshit newbie kid on the wing was in the bin. Lost in space. Dont think he even touched the ball in the first half.

Jordie is such a putz. He'll roger up 2 things for every good thing he does and never get called out on it. Certainly not by Ian Smith.

Good game though, frenetic. TJP driving everyone insane. Some sumptuous running lines