• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Provincial Rugby - ITM Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
There is about 4 and a half million still there and their population is rising not falling. I would guess this would be because of immigration but still, the point stands.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
my addition was entirely tongue in cheek. I know the lighthouse keeper over there. He has already been given the task of switching the lights out and on as the case may be.

seriously it seems that way with the amount of saffers and kiwis you see at the rugby ovals over here.

The key point is how can they afford to sustain these games on pay tv with a population smaller than Sydney, when we struggle to cover one game per week on Aunty ABC, and nothing domestic on Foxtel.

How soon before our kids are worshiping kiwi players cause they see them on the TV like they idolise US Basketballers and yet could not name any homegrown NBL players. I don't think I can name a domestic Aussie Basketballer, yet am familiar with the names of many Yank BBallers.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
NZ rugby is more viable because they don't make shit, which is ok because the ones that play for the smaller unions live in the middle of nowhere which is cheap.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have a mate in Mackay whose property is nearly larger than the whole of NZ.

NZ does not understand the middle of nowhere. To them the middle of nowhere is two hours drive. There are property owners in the NT that drive 1 hour to their letter box on the main road.
The kiwis have a multi sport run, bike and canoe race where they run Coast to Coast in one day! Middle of nowhere - huh.

In western NSW players drive over one hour to training. Games are often several hours away.

Makes for awesome aftermatch parties. Specially when there is a B&S on the same weekend. Oh those were the days......

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
I have a mate in Mackay whose property is nearly larger than the whole of NZ.

NZ does not understand the middle of nowhere. To them the middle of nowhere is two hours drive. There are property owners in the NT that drive 1 hour to their letter box on the main road.
The kiwis have a multi sport run, bike and canoe race where they run Coast to Coast in one day! Middle of nowhere - huh.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand that "remote" doesn't have to mean "a long way away". What ever you do, don't come and find out for yourself, just make assumptions.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hope the MooLoo men puts that fancy Cantabs away today. How de fuck can they allow our chainsaw man to retire. Vokket he need a replacement was part of the Waikato culture.

]C'Mon Waikato. Win it for Possum!!!

4264594.jpg

[
After 20 years the man known simply as Possum will give his chainsaw one last run at the Waikato Stadium tonight.

Warren "Possum" Allen has picked the national provincial rugby championship game against Canterbury as the last time he will pull out his trusty chainsaw and cherry-picker in support of the Waikato team.

He has been a fixture at Mooloo and Chiefs' games.

Possum's duties also include turning up three hours before kickoff, setting up the cherry picker, throwing out lollies to the young fans, walking around the stadium and introducing himself to the patrons, interacting with the crowd and revving the chainsaw when the opposition are kicking at goal and when the home team score a try.

Possum first got the gig after his former business partner suggested they should take part in a parade when the Waikato rugby team won the Ranfurly Shield 20 years ago. The two entrepreneurs featured in the parade using a cherry-picker and a couple of chainsaws.

Possum said he made the decision to put away his chainsaw because he wanted to spend more time with his family.

"I always knew that there was going to be a time when I was going to stop doing this and I was thinking that it might be this year.

"Now, because of a change in circumstances, I have decided that I want to spend more time with my partner and grandkids."

He said he would miss the razz-ma-tazz, but was stoked about some of the opportunities he's experienced as the "chainsaw guy".

His fondest memory is of running late for a game and being only half-way up in his cherry-picker when the whole crowd in one grandstand at Waikato Stadium turned around and collectively asked: "Heya Possum, where ya been?"

"I love the atmosphere at the games and, as a born and bred Hamiltonian, I love the passion we have for our rugby," Possum said.

"I'm honoured to be a part of our local team. I'm sad I will be leaving my post and it was a struggle to say that I was retiring. But I'm now moving into a new era where I will be in the stadium with my family and the Waikato rugby family. You never know, I might have a few lollies on me."

The Waikato Rugby Union have given Possum a three-year family membership to share with his partner, three daughters and two grandchildren

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
yeah man, really happy about that win! Alwayws good to be Canterbury & Auckland.

Shame about Possum. I used to go to every game when I was a student there and loved the redneck, imbredness of having a bloke on a chainsaw revving up the crowd! That was 15 odd years ago, a great innings by the chap.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What gives with the Manawatu "Bucketheads" ?

Watching the wooden spoon battle Manawatu vs Otago and I see plenty of bucketheads.

Google tells me that the Bucketheads are Manawatu supporters but not why the bucket? Is this a university student inspired gag? What is the background to the bucket?

R

Red Rooster

I note Mooney has not improved the Otago team

3 years as a Head Coach has seen him finish 12th (3 wins), 13th (3 wins) and now 14th (2 wins) - something of a pattern

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The other pattern is that he didn't have the cattle in the Reds years - though some of them were mooing pretty hard for McKenzie in 2010 and a good part of that must have been due to Farmer Mooney. Otago is not a great side either and has only one player touring with the NZ EOYT squad, though let's not go there.

The important point is whether or not Mooney got the most out of the players he had. The Otago alickadoos will be nutting that out as we speak.

Saw the Southland v Wellington game yesterday. I have mentioned a few times that the Kiwis bring on their players more slowly than we do, but that opinion got turned on on its head in this game.

We talked earlier about Lima Sopoaga, the NZ Schools captain and first-five from 2009, slotting in as 10 for Wellington this year and looking as though to the manor born. Well, yesterday the Lions used TJ Perenara, this year's NZ Schools captain and half-back. Weepu had crocked himself and Mathewson took his place in the NZ EOYT team; so they were running low on 9's. You'd think they'd have a senior third stringer in the windy city, but apparently not.

The 18 y.o. threw a few ropey passes but did well otherwise. He's back to school on Monday though.

Can anybody remember a pairing of 18 and 19 year olds starting as the "halves" for a team at such a high level of rugby?

Incidentally, the commentators mentioned that Sopoaga has got a spot in the Highlanders Super squad.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In the Schoolboys test, the commentators said that that Peranara had played all year as a run on #9 for a club team in the first grade (Northern suburbs or some such name - forget now).

So while Wellington may be running low on #9's after losing two All Black class #9's, they simply promoted one of their first grade club #9's (who just happened to be still at school). Still a great pat on the back for the young lad.

Sounds like greater things are in store for Mr Perenara when he matures a bit more. Any chance of a job in Aust for him?
I don't think that national Schoolboy representation prevents him from subsequently becoming a Golden Boy? Think we used that same clause with Willie O.

Enzedder

Frank Nicholson (4)
Afternoon all. Just come across to join with my mate Paarlbok in congratulating the Mighty Mooloo's for their demolition job on Canterbury on Friday night. Not enough to see the Sheep Shaggers fall away from top spot but certainly pleasing to see them getting onto the plane home with feather cushions tied to their posteriors.

Semi finalists will be:
Canterbury 45 Points
Auckland 45 points (when they demolish Tasman this afternoon)
Waikato 44 points
Welington 43 Points.

Waikato v Auckland at Eden Park next Saturday. Sounds great.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Can anybody remember a pairing of 18 and 19 year olds starting as the "halves" for a team at such a high level of rugby?

We had 9. Nic White and 10. Robbie Coleman starting for Brumby Runners which I'd say to be a close standard, and obviously Aus U20's. Closest halves I can think off the top of my head.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There's a team called Sheep Shaggers in New Zealand? Well, I never...

Welcome UnZudder, you'll enjoy it here.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Hey lee saw Lima Sopoaga a few weeks back and he looked decent and then they said he was 19 and i was a bit shocked. How did he play this week? The gap student at my school was Head Boy at wellington college and knew Lima, he said that when his year was in year 9 they played against the first 15 and beat them mainly because of lima. Pretty impressive from a 13/14 year old.

I have this weeks wellington game recorded is it worth watching?

The highlanders have also signed Kurt Baker, as well as Telusa Veainu (cant winger) and Stags No8 Elliot Dixon.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

16 March 2007.

Reds v Force in Perth.

10 Quade Cooper born 5th April, 1988 = 18
9 Will Genia born 17 January, 1988 = 19

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Afternoon all. Just come across to join with my mate Paarlbok in congratulating the Mighty Mooloo's for their demolition job on Canterbury on Friday night. Not enough to see the Sheep Shaggers fall away from top spot but certainly pleasing to see them getting onto the plane home with feather cushions tied to their posteriors.

Semi finalists will be:
Canterbury 45 Points
Auckland 45 points (when they demolish Tasman this afternoon)
Waikato 44 points
Welington 43 Points.

Waikato v Auckland at Eden Park next Saturday. Sounds great.
Enz glad you join us in the Aussie house. Hope to see much much more posting from you.

So its MooLoo vs fancy pansy Bluesers in the semi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom