• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Super 15 Teams 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Not sure if anyone has seen this, but we have a sighting of Richie McCaw...probably not the place I expected to see him during his sabbatical. Sure he's having a great time over there.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/8385340/Reason-NZ-teams-play-rugby-from-the-heavens

"It has become apparent that New Zealand rugby is now on a different planet from the rest of the world"

Really Mr Reason? Seems like NZ teams went 0-3 this weekend against South African opposition. Or perhaps, you were just talking out of Uranus?
;) Don't worry Tang, Reason will come up with some other gem in next couple of weeks, his dad obviously gave him a lot of lessons on journalism.:rolleyes:

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Since when did the offside rule get removed from rugby? Doesn't matter that the Highlanders take 65% possession every game when the defense rushes up whenever they want. That and the fact we make about 3 or 4 errors every game when try bound is why we don't score.

Man, Aaron Smith is still completely out of form. Add Colin Slade's kicking to that, jeez.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Jesus, Colin Slade's intercept. That is where the Chiefs have been defending THE ENTIRE GAME.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
ffs, replace Aaron Smith already. The guy has just watched the ball sit on the ground about 4 times this game. So complacent.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
So it's a knock on for us but if the chiefs score a try, there's "no obvious knock on". Ahem. I don't need much more inspiration. Conspiracy, someone contact the PM.

Nonu, Smith have been terrible.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
FFS, a team that taps all of their penalties don't deserve to win. Gah, the problems with the Highlanders are the exact same things they have been for that last two years.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
That is absolutely disgraceful refereeing. Complete hands in the ruck there on the goal line. Should have been a yellow card and a penalty try. He just shrugged his shoulders.

God Jeff Wilson, loves the sound of his own voice. Give it a rest Goldie.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Sometimes I think Jonathan White just doesn't give a toss. This guy.

Ah, the Highlanders have been been second best in every game by about 10% (except Cheetahs). Just can't stop making errors when it's try time and the lord strike me down, we sure as hell don't get the rub of the green. We surely deserve to have more than 1 bloody point after 4 games but oh well.

Problems:
  • Locks with the ball handling of a turtle and the IQ of a cheese block.
  • Injuries, Injuries, Injuries. Almost exclusively to useful players.
  • Deciding to take quick taps on our 40? Come on meow. Get real. Decision making in general.
  • Error rate at key moments.
  • Penalty kicks (0 from 3) vs (4 from 7, e.g. the winning margin from converted penalties)
  • Playing against NZ opposition. Chiefs twice in 4 games. What?
  • Nonu being Nonu, Aaron Smith out of form. Lost Manu, Thomson, Croswell (the back row).
Good stuff:
  • Ben Smith being Ben Smith. Legend.
  • Plenty of potential (like that matters) lol.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Ben Smith is seriously incredible right now. IMO would have to be in the best 3-5 players so far this season for any team if not the best.

Kade Poki's form would have to be a positive ACR?

Gareth Anscombe playing miles better than I'd expected too.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez ACR, you having a bad day aren't you?? I not sure Smith is playing quite as bad as you seem to think, though he has got lost a couple of times, but agree about not sure why this 7s style rugby seems their only thought at moment. No doubt you were also upset that White allowed Smith's try??? Don't worry mate, the sun WILL still raise in morning, and the Clan will come right.......eventually!!

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Ben Smith is seriously incredible right now. IMO would have to be in the best 3-5 players so far this season for any team if not the best.

Kade Poki's form would have to be a positive ACR?

Gareth Anscombe playing miles better than I'd expected too.

Kade Poki is certainly playing well, add Gear and even Popoali'i is playing well off the bench. Problem is getting them into a position to finish it off, not create it themselves. Anscombe's a decent player, as he showed last year in the ITM Cup. Don't know why the Blues completely let him go.

Geez ACR, you having a bad day aren't you?? I not sure Smith is playing quite as bad as you seem to think, though he has got lost a couple of times, but agree about not sure why this 7s style rugby seems their only thought at moment. No doubt you were also upset that White allowed Smith's try??? Don't worry mate, the sun WILL still raise in morning, and the Clan will come right...eventually!!

Eventually... lol.

A mediocre week you might call it. Nothing like capping it off watching the Highlanders make the same mistakes they've been making for many years, and effectively the season is a gonski. 11 years since they made the finals. I wouldn't care if they were bad but they are always 'just not quite there' (recently anyway).

I'm pretty certain A.Smith is playing as bad as I think. Complacent at the back of the ruck, not making it to the ruck (rare), passes that are putting the receiver under pressure (high, low, in front). It's easier when your forwards are winning but nonetheless.

Smith's try was obviously dodgy and I STILL think we didn't get the rub. I can cancel that out with one play, the Chiefs dodgy hands in the ruck under the goal posts on their line at 75 minutes. Stopped a certain try and they escaped with 15 players left on the park.

Bah, I'm also quite certain the 8 or so penalties we conceded were optical illusions, nifty camera work or something.

Onto the Reds next week. :)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You're not alone ACR. Jonathan White should be immediately sacked, he got about 20 things completely wrong. How on earth did the TMO miss not one but TWO clear as day knock ons in the lead up to TNW's try!?

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Such a shame Kahui's off to Japan next year. Looking the goods straight off injury. I'd throw him in at 12 if if the AB's got picked this week.

I heard the old commentators mention last week's chiefs defensive effort as "dubious, straight out cheating". Guess the bleeding obvious came out in the review during the week.

Can't help but keep saying it, while the Chiefs have been and are bloody good, they push the boundaries. All this 'rush up' defense is great but a lot of it is just plain old offside (looking at you Messam). They get so much quick ball because they came straight in the side at ruck time. Kaplan's picked them up once or twice this week, finally. I don't know, they are usually the better team anyway and sometimes the good teams earn the benefit of some favourable decisions.

I think this year has also been blighted by the attacking team going straight off their feet at the ruck, across all teams. Maybe because the defense doesn't commit to a lot of rucks anymore.

I'm only whinging about refs because the Highlanders season is over. Venting. :(

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They're bloody cheats. Offside, diving off their feet, taking out players beyond rucks, obstruction beyond rucks, slow the ball down by falling on the ball, obstruction in the backline. It's incredible no referee has the balls to ping them.

Status
Not open for further replies.