• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

One Dayers v SAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Aus with the Hasie Brothers fighting back but ending 36 runs short. Great bowling from the rookies Tjotsie & Parnell and SA now official nr1 in One day Cricket. :thumb

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I also think Botha should have been man of the series, but it seems bowlers don't get man of the match awards in one dayers. It was astounding for me when Morkel got the man of the match in the 4th game.

I'm can't recall one man of the match going to a bowler in this series, but I can't be bothered to confirm.

The commentators went very close to calling Botha a chucker last night, replaying his action and saying 'he's had problems in the past', and 'the problems have been with his action'. The replays seemed to focus on his elbow, with the ball off the screen for part of it. This will sound like sour grapes from my part (even though South Africa would have won without him), but we can't continue to allow bowlers that don't have correct actions in the game. It it continues as it does, then it will ruin the basis of bowling in the sport. (I see that a bowler was reported in a domestic cricket game in Oz, but it seems umpires are too scared to report players in international cricket).

Hopes gave a few looks to both umpires when he got out - strange, I thought, considering he was bowled. I just wonder if he was thinking 'how could he have bowled it that fast without chucking', and 'they should be calling a no ball'. Botha had just bowled a 107 km/h fast ball with no noticable difference in arm speed.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A couple of his deliveries I thought were borderline at best - there was one wicket he took in Melbourne where he looked nearly as bad as Murali!

Fucking pathetic effort from our top order bats - Warner extremely unlucky but Marsh fell right into the trap after getting all gooey over the 4 he hit. Ponting should give himself an uppercut.

But the bowling is atrocious. Mitchell Johnson gets that pissed-off look on his face when the batsmen get him away outside leg stump. Here's a hint Mitch: BOWL AT THE FUCKING OFF STUMP. You tool. If he wants to see how to take wickets, he should take a good long look at Tsotsobe's pitch markings from the Channel 9 crew - the debutant never strayed more than a metre or two from the perfect line and length to frustrate the hell out of batsmen. Johnson is so overrated - one good Test spell this summer and he's the second coming. The commentators keep wanking on about him, but what has he really done since then? Produced the odd brilliant delivery and a whole bucket of tripe.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Come on NTA tell us what you really think. By the way I agree with you about Johnson.

Shit we suck at cricket all of a sudden. It might take a bit of getting used to. Maybe if the selector started picking the form team instead of the one who has "done the job for us in the past" or the players who are "great in the change room" we might do better.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Sully said:
Come on NTA tell us what you really think. By the way I agree with you about Johnson.

Shit we suck at cricket all of a sudden. It might take a bit of getting used to. Maybe if the selector started picking the form team instead of the one who has "done the job for us in the past" or the players who are "great in the change room" we might do better.

We don't 'suck' per se, as we were beaten by the world number 1 side. Hopefully we can shit all over the Black Caps in coming days and calm the nerves before the SA tour.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scotty said:
The commentators went very close to calling Botha a chucker last night, replaying his action and saying 'he's had problems in the past', and 'the problems have been with his action'. The replays seemed to focus on his elbow, with the ball off the screen for part of it. This will sound like sour grapes from my part (even though South Africa would have won without him), but we can't continue to allow bowlers that don't have correct actions in the game. It it continues as it does, then it will ruin the basis of bowling in the sport. (I see that a bowler was reported in a domestic cricket game in Oz, but it seems umpires are too scared to report players in international cricket).

Hopes gave a few looks to both umpires when he got out - strange, I thought, considering he was bowled. I just wonder if he was thinking 'how could he have bowled it that fast without chucking', and 'they should be calling a no ball'. Botha had just bowled a 107 km/h fast ball with no noticable difference in arm speed.

Aaron Bird from NSW has been reported for a suspect action for the second time in three seasons and faces a minimum three-month suspension if it's deemed illegal. It's insightful to note it's an Australian umpire calling an Australian bowler, exactly as it was in the 50s and 60s when there was spate of calling in Sheffield Shield cricket. Chucking was a problem in cricket world-wide at the time and Australia was the only country prepared to address the problem internally. Things were a bit more drastic those days and called chuckers had their careers ruined, unfortunately. But we had the courage to address the problem, exactly as the umpires did against Aaron this season.

Let's not forget it was an Australian umpire who called Ian Meckiff at the Gabba in December 1963, against South Africa of all opponents! Meckiff never bowled another ball in first class cricket. If only other umpires showed the same courage.

F

formeropenside

Lindommer - some umpires have, and had their careers ruined because of it. Still, I'd like to see the top umpires get together and take a stand: axe one of, axe all of us.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Botha is fine. Of course when a bowler has had a problem commentators are goign to raise the issue and some people are going to start to look for something that isn't there.

Because of his past issues I found myself watching him carefully all series and I for one am quite convinced he is legit.

Now about that Tait bloke and his Chucktar impersonation... ;D

T

Turban

Blue said:
Botha is fine. Of course when a bowler has had a problem commentators are goign to raise the issue and some people are going to start to look for something that isn't there.

Because of his past issues I found myself watching him carefully all series and I for one am quite convinced he is legit.

Now about that Tait bloke and his Chucktar impersonation... ;D

Yeah but Tait looks like he's hindering himself more than helping the way he bowls. I can't even watch him on the slow-mo, it's horrible.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If you did to your knee what Tait does to his elbow, you'd be in a wheelchair!

Kyle Mills is a chucker too.

T

Turban

NTA said:
If you did to your knee what Tait does to his elbow, you'd be in a wheelchair!

Kyle Mills is a chucker too.

Tait aint exactly easy on his knee either!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Tait's fine - watch it slow-mo. It's all elbow twist and wrist snap. Lee's worse with his effort ball. Botha's fine too. Within the allowed angles. Mills a chucker? Bollocks I say, NTA.

T

Turban

cyclopath said:
Tait's fine - watch it slow-mo. It's all elbow twist and wrist snap. Lee's worse with his effort ball. Botha's fine too. Within the allowed angles. Mills a chucker? Bollocks I say, NTA.

I don't have an internal mental protractor to measure the degree of bend in a bowlers elbow, what I was talking about is it looks horribly painful the way he bowls.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I know, Turbs, I was mainly answering the other posts. Tait looks like a good recipe for ongoing breakage for sure.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Looks to me that Tait starts pretty straight and the force on his arm actually hyper extends his elbow, so I don't think you can call him a chucker.

Botha is either over or close to the limit and no doubt starts with a bent arm and straightens it. Same as Murali, and I don't really care what the legal limits are - they are were made to ensure the games leading wicket taker wasn't forced to stop bowling.

Status
Not open for further replies.