• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

One Dayers v SAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So apparently this is the team for today:

Australia 1 Shaun Marsh, 2 David Warner, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Hussey, 5 David Hussey, 6 Cameron White, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 James Hopes/Nathan Hauritz, 9 Mitchell Johnson, 10 Nathan Bracken, 11 Shaun Tait.

Again, we have White there and now Hauritz is bracketed with Hopes. I think it might be good to give Horry a shot, as he's a very decent 1 day bowler, but I would ditch White and bat Hopes (or even Haddin) higher in the order. I don't think it impacts on the batting order too much and instead you then have 5 legitimate bowlers, plus David Hussey.

But I know I'm preaching to the converted here about White... :banghead

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ricky Ponting has got the toss right and has chosen to bat first. Johnson will have to wait until the second dig to get the cherry in his hand. Johan Botha admits he would have batted as well. South Africa have made no changes to their XI. Shaun Tait and Nathan Hauritz are back for Australia. Hauritz's last ODI was in 2003. Cameron White is out, meaning Brad Haddin will bat at No. 6.

Here are the teams:

Australia 1 Shaun Marsh, 2 David Warner, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Hussey, 5 David Hussey, 6 Brad Haddin (wk), 7 James Hopes, 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Nathan Hauritz, 10 Nathan Bracken, 11 Shaun Tait.

Excellent :thumb

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Haddin somewhat of a let-down. Warner fired like a rocket today.

Amla dropped twice in the first over by Tait :banghead Fuck our fielding has gone to shit in the last few years.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But then plays a very Gibbs-like stroke to get out. Getting a bit too clever for his own good with that one.

Cricketing karma struck when Amla ran himself out after being dropped twice, while AB dV must still be feeling that hip a little to swipe at a delivery like that.

Proteas should win at a trot.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So they did. :thumb Morkel clubbering in the end and they finish it of with still plenty to spare. Lead now 2-1 and 2 to go. :huxley

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ponting so inept as to leave Hauritz as his only bowling option? Jeez bring on Hussey for some medium change-of-pace at the death! Can't be any worse than Hauritz who produced one decent delivery for a wicket. Why is Hauritz even close to our national squads?

F

formeropenside

Ponting captaincy does appear to lack a fair bit of eptness, there's no doubt. Add in the 6-man discussions between each over, and I start to wonder whether he has a functioning spine.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
My only other observation from the games so far- how classy is Nathan Bracken? Hands down the best one-day bowler in the world. It's sad his style doesn't convert to the longer form of the game.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Regarding captaincy Ithink Johan Botha surprise all & a sundry. Yesterday when Warner went full trotttle and the pressure was on he stick to his guns by taking himself off and brought Steyn back. That brought him immediate rewards. It do help if you have old hands like Boucher & Kallis but honestly Botha's captaincy surprise all of us. Leading by example and sticking to a workout plan. On the other side Pointing looks a bit off the block when the pressure comes and giving Morkel a change to pick his spot where to land them in the pavillion. Surely if we bat first on Aidelaide and put up a decend score it will be interesting to see if Pointing and kie will handle our bowling and pressure. on Aussie Day. :nta:

Great series.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I get the feeling that your boys will choose to bowl first if they win the toss. They seem much more comfortable in knowing how much they are chasing. I think they are worried about what sort of total to set, and not being able to pace themselves well - particularly guys like Morkel and Gibbs, who would always want to try and set a 320+ no matter the position of the game, if it was up to them.

Conversely, with Mike Hussey and to a lesser extent Dave Hussey out of form at the moment it is also very difficult for Australia to chase a total. In fact, if your middle order isn't performing it is almost impossible to chase down a target!

Australia are desparately missing Clark and Symonds at the moment, and that for me is the difference between the two teams.

The Aussies need to find a way to get 5+ runs per over off Duminy and Botha, and I think Punter or Marsh need to get close to 100 if we are to win this one.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The question should be why dont Pointing dont let our lot bat first then. He won every toss so far and bat first.

My self think its much easier to bat first, not the same amount of pressure.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
The question should be why dont Pointing dont let our lot bat first then. He won every toss so far and bat first.

My self think its much easier to bat first, not the same amount of pressure.
Because historically the Aus team has done better by batting, setting a target and defending it. Of course there are exceptions to this. In Aust, the stats would support this approach - with mostly day / night games the team batting first wins more often than not. Ponting is not very imaginative as a captain, and he has a less than ideal bowling attack at the moment, so he isn't going to change much. The totals posted so far have been 10-20 runs below what was needed. I think the teams are just very close.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hope you lot enjoy yur Aussie day. Warner & Marsh gone and Pointing the next one we will want. With Boucher out & AB to wickey, Morne Morkel will strength our bowling no doubt.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
pointing survive now two appeals, first a LB then a clear nick and the ump not interest. Then Gibbs missed a run out. How many Aussie Days gifts will they get. :nta:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Aus getting 222 in the end all out. Look pretty easy but Taite in full trottle on his homeground may change that. Our lot have to deal with him first and Gibbs will be under pressure. Anyway Johan Botha getting a lot of accolades for his bowling and captaincy and deservely so. Pointing pick his power play pretty much to late with all the main batters out. Dont help much if you have a tail to bat against the likes of Steyn, Morkels & Ntini. That dried the runs up completely and also brought the catches in.

Anyway three quick wickets and all can change pretty quick.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Aussie day gifts? Rubbish!

How about being called one run short when it clearly wasn't - I have never seen that in a cricket match before. I also think Hussey was unlucky - looked to be going over the top to me.

Oh, and South Africa's most effective middle order bowler clearly has an illegal action. I can't believe the commentators don't say anything about it - they have to grow some balls. This is the only time I want Ian Chappell commentating.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Agree on Husseys one. So that cancelled out 1 at least. Well 222 or 223 wont have help your cause. Gibbs look like finish this in a hurry. Sctottie the gift have stop early on.

For some reason I knew you will start that Botha action one. :lmao: Cancelled out by Taite's action. :nta:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Agree on Husseys one. So that cancelled out 1 at least. Well 222 or 223 wont have help your cause. Gibbs look like finish this in a hurry. Sctottie the gift have stop early on.

For some reason I knew you will start that Botha action one. :lmao: Cancelled out by Taite's action. :nta:

Actually if you watch them slow-mo they are quite different. Tait twists his elbow dramatically with minimal straightening, but has a big wrist action; Botha has less twist with the elbow, and straightens more, but in this day and age basically anything goes, so it's no big deal. I honestly don't know why they bother reporting bowlers anyway - they get sent for "rehab", have some tests done where they modify their action, the testers are happy, and they go back to it again and seemingly are then immune to further scrutiny since they've been pinged once. And I am not singling anyone out here, before someone wants to start some ridiculous tit-for-tat argument. I have no real problem with Botha's action - can't see how it would help someone who essentially a flight bowler anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.