• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Oz U20 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formeropenside

Eight Qld reps in Aust U20 team for opener

Richard Kingi - scrumhalf for Aust U20sThursday, 4 June 2009
Eight players with QR Reds or QAS Reds Academy experience have been named in the starting team for the Australian Under 20's iRB Junior World Championships debut match, against Canada in Japan tomorrow.

Lock Robert Simmons, blindside flanker Andrew Shaw, scrumhalf Richard Kingi, wing Rod Davies and inside centre Ben Tapuai all made their Reds' debut in this year's Investec Super 14 season, while No 8 Jake Schatz, tighthead prop James Slipper and loosehead prop Albert Anae are all in the QAS Reds Academy.

The U20 backline also features Super 14 playmakers Kurtley Beale from the NSW Waratahs at fullback and Matt To'omua from the Brumbies at flyhalf.

The match will be played at Best Amenity Stadium in Fukuoka with kickoff at 5pm local time (6pm AEST) Friday.

Australia also played Canada in last year’s tournament, winning 81-12.

The Australian team, coached by David Nucifora, is:

15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Rod Davies, 13 Robert Horne, 12 Ben Tapuai, 11 Afusipa Taumoepeau, 10 Matt To'omua, 9 Richard Kingi, 8 Jake Schatz, 7 Sam Latinipulu, 6 Andrew Shaw, 5 Robert Simmons, 4 Kane Douglas, 3 James Slipper, 2 Damian Fitzpatrick (c), 1 Albert Anae. Reserves: 16 Nathan Charles, 17 Kesomi Lolotonga, 18 David McDuling, 19 Tom Murday, 20 Nick White, 21 Robbie Coleman, 22 Dane Haylett-Petty.

The IRB Junior World Championships involve 16 teams split during the preliminary stages into four pools of four.

Australia is in Pool D with Canada, Wales and Tonga.

The Australians play Tonga on June 9 and Wales on June 13.

The top nation from each pool will advance to the semi finals.

POOL A
New Zealand
Argentina
Ireland
Uruguay
POOL B
England
Samoa
Scotland
Japan
POOL C
South Africa
France
Fiji
Italy
POOL D
Australia
Wales
Tonga
Canada

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That could be the no. 1 team - or at least the 1st XV could be the best run on XV. Everyone else will get a run against Tonga and the best team 22 will play against Wales.

If it is the best team:

- Zipper got the nod for the other wing spot (Davies was always going to be there IMO). if so, DHP was unlucky because he had a terrific trial game on Friday night.)

- Kingi got the nod at scrumhalf where we have a bit of depth.

- Locks Simmons and Douglas had better toughen up.

- Fitzpatrick is preffered to Charles, and is captain, which I predicted provided he was rated the no.1 hooker.

It's a good looking backrow and the backline should rock, but the Wales game will be the true test.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
What are the backgrounds of Nick White and Robbie Coleman. Haven't heard too much of these guys before. Is Coleman the inside back from OZ schools last year? If so he has done well to make the side ahead of the likes of Jonno Lance.

Good to see Latinipulu there. I was a fan when he played OZ schools in 07 against England and was surprised he was dropped to the A side after that game.

Keen to hear how Schatz and Slipper go as well.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I just looked at the IRB site. It is boasting live coverage but, as with Fox, there is no coverage of the Australians unless they make the semis.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hope you lot dont mind if I pump in the SA U20s with this thread. Myself always love to see the young ones and will appreciate if you can give live links to these matches. ???

Here is our team for the Fiji clash:
South African Under-20 Team - Josias Ebersohn, Clayton Blommetjies, Robert Ebersohn
(C), Johann Sadie, Sampie Mastriet, Francois Brummer, Rudy Page, Christiaan Stander,
Tendayi Chikukwa, Marnus Schoeman, David Bulbring, Jan Andre Marais, Julian
Redelinghuys, Kyle Cooper, Morne Mellett. Substitutes: Zane Botha, Coenrad
Oosthuizen, Caylib Oosthuizen, Rynhardt Elstadt, Kenechukwu Ofakor, Ross Cronje,
Nicolaas Hanekom.

OK a bit of background because I follow them from schooldays and Johann Sadie , I know personally and his parents. Johann of course a Swartlander , grow up in Malmesbury and a Paarl Gim boy (myself stayed there for 15 years and watch him with a close eye from U7 level). He sure is a all riound talented kid, played provincial sport in 5 different sports (hockey, rugby, cricket, pluimbal (batmington) & athletics) for Boland as a U13 boy. The other Paarl Gim boy is Nicolas Hanekom on the bench. His dad played for Maties and WP and better known as Stokkies. You all should know the Ebersohn Twins playing 15 & 13. This kids dad played also for WP & Maties many a year as a midfielder and known as Frikkie Ebersohn. Interesting their younger sister also a provincial & SA netball player. As schoolboy players at Grey and the Free State this two twins played in the final against Sadie & WP and destroyed them in the CW final.

Brummer played Vodacom Cup for the Brutes and this just show the Brutes strong structure. Brummer still a youngster and third in line after Steyn & Francis.

Also know Ross Cronje, one from another twin who play for the Sharks U19s. Ross was on the bench this year for the Sharks S14 team when Ruaan was injured.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Hope you lot dont mind if I pump in the SA U20s with this thread.

I do mind :angryfire: :) :)

The IRB site (irb.com) is saying that its schedule for streaming is:

Friday 5 June
Samoa v Scotland, 17:00 local time (09:00 UK time, 10:00 Johannesburg time, 20:00 New Zealand time)
England v Japan, 19:00 local time (11:00 UK time, 12:00 Johannesburg time, 22:00 New Zealand time)

Tuesday 9 June
Argentina v Uruguay, 17:00 local time (05:00 Buenos Aires time, 09:00 UK time, 10:00 Johannesburg time, 20:00 New Zealand time)
Ireland v New Zealand, 19:00 local time (11:00 UK time, 12:00 Johannesburg time, 22:00 New Zealand time)

Saturday 13 June
Fiji v Italy, 13:00 local time (05:00 UK time, 06:00 Johannesburg time, 16:00 New Zealand time)
France v South Africa, 15:00 local time (08:00 UK time, 08:00 French/Johannesburg time, 18:00 New Zealand time)

Wednesday 17 June
Semi final 1, 17:00 local time (09:00 UK time, 10:00 Johannesburg time, 20:00 New Zealand time)
Semi final 2, 19:00 local time (11:00 UK time, 12:00 Johannesburg time, 22:00 New Zealand time)

Sunday 21 June
Third place play-off/Japan match, 13:00 local time (05:00 UK time, 06:00 Johannesburg time, 16:00 New Zealand time)
Championship Final, 15:00 local time (08:00 UK time, 08:00 French/Johannesburg time, 18:00 New Zealand time)

Don't ever say I am not nice to you ;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Think its prett kak, only a few live games and they are on our TV also. Look like they havent schedule the other matches for TV. Flippen piss poor from Japan or whatever.

Hey and thanks Biff. ::) If it was Lee I would obey, luckily its a biltong vreter. :nta:

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Think its prett kak, only a few live games and they are on our TV also. Look like they havent schedule the other matches for TV. Flippen piss poor from Japan or whatever.

Hey and thanks Biff. ::) If it was Lee I would obey, luckily its a biltong vreter. :nta:

Yeah, K-A-K. Don't blame "Japan". Try IRB for wanting too much money. Try TV companies for offering too little.

Now, let's talk about those three promising young sashimi beef-munching props you were promising to send to us :). All right if we just take our pick from your squad in Japan and take them home with our blokes?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
spectator said:
What are the backgrounds of Nick White and Robbie Coleman. Haven't heard too much of these guys before. Is Coleman the inside back from OZ schools last year?

Good to see Latinipulu there. I was a fan when he played OZ schools in 07 against England and was surprised he was dropped to the A side after that game.

Nick White went to St. Gregs in Campbelltown Sydney and played for NSW II Schools in 2007, but I don't have any notes on him in my programme; so it's obvious that I didn't rate him then. St. Gregs is a league school, but the boarders play union on the weekend and because Nick is from Scone he was probably a boarder and perhaps got into rugby that way.

He didn't make either of the Oz School squads; so it just goes to show that a kid can make it after school - though sometimes I think some schools selections are bunk.

He's in the Brumbies Academy.

Yeah Robbie Coleman made the Oz Schools team lasy year and all because of the last game in the 2008 Oz Schools tournament IMO as he was just competent before then. I think he was added to the squad when Rabbit O'Connor was withdrawn from the original team, but I could be mistaken.

Yeah Sam Latinipulu is a good player. He's playing 1st Grade for Northern Suburbs in Sydney and has appeared for the Junior Waratahs. He has a great joy for the game and his career path is going nicely. He's a pocket rocket 7, just like Phil Waugh; so let's hope that he can have a similar career. He looked pretty good in the trial at Sydney Uni a week ago and never leaves any petrol in the tank..

TV Coverage - yeah the games on TV were pretty sparse last year too. Oz was shown in one pool game but that was probably because they were playing England. I was hoping that the Wales game would be televised.

I notice they are giving out the UK, RSA and NZ times for the semis. It's obvious that we aren't rated.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Australia won 86-0

Try Scorers:

Kingi - 4
Beale - 4
To'omua - 2
Fitzpatrick, Tapuai, Coleman, Davies - 1

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for positng that Reddy.

Wow - but it doesn't mean a lot because it it not a measure of how well Oz can play against a hard team.

Geez that England team looks good doesn't it?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interesting that Wales and France have to start this U/20 tournament, and the 2010 tournament, with a minus 3 points in the pool table. It is because the two teams got into a ding-dong fight in the tournament last year. I remember it - it was a cracking fight.

The difference between rugby league and rugby union - can you imagine the league equivalent of the IRB imposing such a 2 year sanction?

Me neither.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee Grant said:
Thanks for positng that Reddy.

Wow - but it doesn't mean a lot because it it not a measure of how well Oz can play against a hard team.

Geez that England team looks good doesn't it?

The England team might look good, but they have played alot of games together already in the U/20 6 Nations, while the Aus. team has only assembled recently.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Kurtley Beale and Richard Kingi scored four tries apiece as Australia made an impressive start to their IRB Toshiba Junior World Championship campaign, running out 86-0 winners against Canada at the Best Amenity Stadium in Fukuoka, Japan.

Boasting nine players contracted to Super 14 provinces, the Australians built on a 31-0 half time lead to score 55 more unanswered points in the second period, scoring 14 tries in all.

On a muggy, overcast day in Tosu city the Australians quickly put their opponents under the kosh and Kingi, a regular on the IRB Sevens World Series this year, went over for their first score on just six minutes.

The scrum half also added their second six minutes later as the young Wallabies piled on the pressure.

Canada found some time and rhythm, full back Harry Jones showing some elusive running, but too often they squandered possession in the middle third of the pitch and captain Damien Fitzpatrick, Matt To'omua and Kurtley Beale all crossed for further Australian tries.

To'omua landed three of his five conversion attempts to give David Nucifora's physical side a healthy lead at the break.

The second half started in much the same fashion as the first except this time it was Kingi's half back partner To'omua first onto the score sheet, a clever side-step taking him in under the posts.

Kurtley Beale, another of Michael O'Connor's international Sevens players, ? ? ? ? ? crossed for his second and third tries in quick succession as the professional looking Australian outfit capitalised on a tiring opposition.

Both sides made a raft of substitutions but Kingi remained to seal his hat trick after just 57 minutes and the final quarter of the game produced a further five scores for the SANZAR team through Ben Tapuai, Kingi, Rodney Davies, Robbie Coleman and a fourth for Beale.

POST MATCH REACTION

Canada coach Tim Murdy: “Obviously it was a difficult game and our boys are disappointed. The Australian side is incredibly talented and we can’t do anything more about this game.”

Canada captain Harry Jones: “It was a tough game, the Aussies have a lot of good players. We will build from here and learn from our mistakes. The pitch was the best I have ever played on, excellent, hard and fast.”

Australia coach David Nucifora: “We’re obviously very happy with the win and the scoreline was very good for us. There were nerves in the first half but later we relaxed and started to play a bit more rugby. The teamwork will get better from now on.”

Australia captain Damien Fitzpatrick: “In the first 20 minutes we showed nerves and it took a while to get into the game. Finally we got our rhythm and things went our way. There are good things we can take going forward.”

Hope the physical bit is right and prevails in the other games.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Look like the Ebersohn twins also had a big jol against Fiji and a few cards flying around. SA 36 Fiji 10.

I hate those big scores first up. More some grinding wins first up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its always hard for nations like ours - with a fairly well established schoolboy program - to find decent opposition in the pool rounds Paarl, because nations like Canada have a very limited teenage rugby program. How many of those Fijian or Canadian boys are playing pro rugby like Beale etc in the S14?

As long as our boys stuck to the basics (go forward, then wide) and the points came off solid play rather than just chucking it around, I'm happy.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
SubstitutionsPlayer On Player Off Time
Tom Murday Andrew Shaw 6
Robbie Coleman Matt To'omua 21
David McDuling Kane Douglas 25
Dane Haylett-Petty Robert Horne 26
Kesomi Lolotonga Albert Anae 33

This doesn't make sense.....

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
fatprop said:
SubstitutionsPlayer On Player Off Time
Tom Murday Andrew Shaw 6
Robbie Coleman Matt To'omua 21
David McDuling Kane Douglas 25
Dane Haylett-Petty Robert Horne 26
Kesomi Lolotonga Albert Anae 33

This doesn't make sense.....

That's a worry.

BTW Eurosports Pacific channel, of which I have written before, tonight has 90 minutes of highlights of yestarday's games. I am hoping to see a fair bit of our blokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.