• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Oz U20 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Bugger.

DHP will probably come into the wing spot on my notional no.1 starting team now and Zipper go to 13.

It took him a long while to get over that hammy strain he got in the S14 and it looks like it never got right.

Hope it's not a congenital injury.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Gerrard had the hamstring virus first. He passed it to Tahu and now Tahu has given it to Horne.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The record crowd for JWC matches was broken for the second time this tournament as 10,693 people turned out to watch the Pool B match between Japan and Samoa at the Prince Chichibu Memorial Stadium in Tokyo.

impressive numbers. I assume they were free give aways to schook kids, but still good.

P

poolersaint

Hi guys,
Wales had a pretty poor 6 Nations in the U20's. Our best player at that level flyhalf Dan Bigger was involved with the senior squad (although he didn't play) and missed the whole series for the U20's.
We have another couple of talented backs - Jason Tovey a 15/10 (not in the current tournament - had to stay home to help his regional side the Dragons play a Heineken Cup playoff game) and winger Kristain Phillips, who is really quick but misses this tournament through injury.
The forwards, although a decent unit are on the small side for international rugby. To give you an example when we played Scotland in the 6 nations our 2nd row's were 6'3" and 6'4" tall and their opposite numbers in the Scots team were 6'7"and 6'8" (don't know those in metric sorry !)
Most of the Welsh squad have another season at this level so are still pretty young but I'll be surprised if any of the forwards make the grade as pro's.
The 3 point punishment is pretty harsh, the two unions should have been given bigger fines and the players involved suspended for longer. To penalise this crop of players for someone else's wrongdoings is bonkers !! :nta:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
poolersaint said:
We have another couple of talented backs - Jason Tovey a 15/10 (not in the current tournament - had to stay home to help his regional side the Dragons play a Heineken Cup playoff game)...

Welcome aboard, poolersaint, do we call you Bobby, Charlie or Graham?

It's disappointing to read not all the best under 20 Welsh players are in Japan. I think I can speak for my SANZAR brothers when I say we don't understand the club v country conflict in the NH. We in the SH always want to see our best players involved in representative matches. This is one of the defining differences in our rugby philosophies: every team in our rugby pyramids is vitally concerned for the success of the team immediately above them. You should see the pride rugby clubs place in listing representative players, at any level, on their honour boards.

There's still rugby being played in Wales in mid-June? Sounds like too much rugby to me, especially for a 19 year old.

P

poolersaint

The only rugby played was the Heineken Cup play off against an Italian side, the Italian season was still running but the Welsh season had finished a month or so earlier. The Italians and French tend to play well into June with their finals etc - which is a really long season.
Nice to see the name of Pooler is still known outside Wales too !! 8) (thats Pontypool rugby club for those who don't know)
Oh, and well done to the Oz U20 side on their comfortable victory over Wales ! :(
And as I write this France have just turned over the All Blacks 27-22 !!! Well done the Froggies !!!! ;D

R

rugbywhisperer

Great win for the Aus u20 38 - 5 over Wales.
One step further than last year and now for the Kiwi's.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I could not had a look at our U20s (chopping wood for the firplace)but the scoreline look flattering. Was behind 20-0 at one stage but become good towards the end.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
I could not had a look at our U20s (chopping wood for the firplace)but the scoreline look flattering. Was behind 20-0 at one stage but become good towards the end.

I watched it. Thoroughly deserved win. Can we be assured the Bokke will give the Wallabies 20 points start, as your kids did for the Frogs?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
poolersaint said:
The only rugby played was the Heineken Cup play off against an Italian side, the Italian season was still running but the Welsh season had finished a month or so earlier.

So this kid Tovey missed an iRB Under 20 World Cup to stay back in Wales to play one match in a month against an Italian club. Wouldn't the Dragons second stringers clean up most Italians? I wonder if any their players chose to miss the OZ/NZ tour to play for that club. This is where we in the SH worry about the priorities of NH rugby.

S

Spook

rugbywhisperer said:
Great win for the Aus u20 38 - 5 over Wales.
One step further than last year and now for the Kiwi's.

I might be forced to eat my words but the kiwis u20 don't look very good IMO.

P

poolersaint

Lindommer said:
poolersaint said:
The only rugby played was the Heineken Cup play off against an Italian side, the Italian season was still running but the Welsh season had finished a month or so earlier.

So this kid Tovey missed an iRB Under 20 World Cup to stay back in Wales to play one match in a month against an Italian club. Wouldn't the Dragons second stringers clean up most Italians? I wonder if any their players chose to miss the OZ/NZ tour to play for that club. This is where we in the SH worry about the priorities of NH rugby.

Tovey was actually selected for the full Wales tour to North America, so he missed out on two full caps to play a one-off meaningless game against the Italians ! Crazy isn't it.
There were actually 4 players from the Dragons selected in the initial tour party and all were then told they'd have to stay at home to play in the play-off game and miss out on the Wales tour. The Dragons won the game away in Italy by 40-odd points anyway and as you say the 2nd teamers could have done the job out there.
Most people over here couldn't see why he couldn't have gone to the iRB junior RWC as they didn't leave for Japan until a week or two after the playoff game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Bugger - Beale out with a hammy. Can't see that coming good in 4 days.

Australia into Semi Finals at IRB Junior World Championships
June 14, 2009 - 12:06am
Story by: ARU
Albert Anae in action

Albert Anae was among the tryscorers for Australia Under 20s
Australia will play New Zealand in the semi finals of the IRB Junior World Championships after downing Wales 38-5 in their final Pool D match in Fukuoka tonight.

The Australian Under 20's ran in four second half tries to crush the Welsh after four penalty goals from halfback Richard Kingi had them heading to the break with a 12-0 lead.

Queensland winger Rod Davies crossed twice during the second half points-scoring flurry, while second rower Rob Simmons and prop Albert Anae also collected tries.

The one disappointment for the Australians was a hamstring injury to fullback Kurtley Beale which forced him from the field after 20 minutes.

Scans tomorrow will determine whether he plays in the semi final showdown with tournament favourites New Zealand in Tokyo on Wednesday.

"It was a good performance, clearly our best of the championships to date," said Australian Under 20 coach David Nucifora.

"The forwards really upped the ante. They dominated the Welsh in all areas.

"Even at halftime we were travelling well.

"We had to run into the wind in that first half and to go to the break with a 12-point advantage was an indication of how well we combined across the park.

"Obviously we're hoping Kurtley will be OK for the semi final. He's certainly played and trained well since we arrived here."

The Australians opened their campaign with an 86-0 win over Canada.

They followed up with a 40-6 victory over Tonga.

The win over Wales gave them a total of 164 points from their three pool matches, with only 11 against, and just one try conceded.

AUSTRALIA 38 (Rod Davies 2, Rob Simmons, Albert Anae tries; Richard Kingi 4 pen goals, 2 cons, Nick White 1 con) def WALES 5.

Australia will play New Zealand in the semi finals with the other semi final between South Africa and England.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Beale has officially been sent home and will take no further part at the u/20 world cup.

It's a shame that this has happened, as well as Horne being injured, and O'Connor obviously not there.

We might be lacking some leadership in the backline now. Hopefully Kingi and To'omua step up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Betham flying accross, he looked quite good on the weekend

Australia U20s lose Beale for IRB

June 14, 2009 - 4:21PM

The Australian Under 20 team has lost star fullback Kurtley Beale for the remainder of the IRB Junior World Championship in Japan.

Scans have revealed a tear in one of Beale's hamstrings, sustained midway through the first half of the 38-5 pool victory over Wales in Fukuoka on Saturday night.

The Australians will play New Zealand in a semi-final on Wednesday in Tokyo, with South Africa playing England in the other semi-final the same evening.

"It's disappointing to lose Kurtley," said coach David Nucifora.

"He was contributing very well on and off the field since we arrived."

Beale, from the NSW Waratahs, is flying out of Japan Sunday night and Peter Betham, from the ACT Brumbies, is heading to Tokyo to join the squad.

Betham, 20, played at the IRB Junior Worlds in Wales last year.

At 98kg and 1.92m, he is a powerful runner with good pace.

The Australians advanced to the final four after topping Pool D with victories over Canada (86-0), Tonga (40-6) and Wales (38-5).

The 164 points they scored in the pool rounds was the best of any nation.

Against Wales, the Australians ran in four second half tries to crush the after four penalty goals from halfback Richard Kingi had them leading 12-0 at halftime.

Queensland winger Rod Davies crossed twice during the second half, while second rower Rob Simmons and prop Albert Anae also collected tries.

"Even at halftime we were travelling well," said Nucifora.

"We had to run into the wind in that first half and to go to the break with a 12-point advantage was an indication of how well we combined across the park."

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Bugger - and he was looking as fit as a trout at the trial game before they left for Japan.

But if our forwards front up we are still a good chance against the Kiwis, I reckon. Wasn't impressed by them in their one televised game against Ireland.

Yeah Pete is a good player but his progress at the Brumbies disappointed me, though maybe injuries had something to do with that. Played OK on the weekend but would have been disappointed having the ball ripped out of his hands for Eastwood to score. He's been playing 2nd grade this year but now that winger Jenkins has gone to NZ to play for Taranaki he may get a bit more rugby in the Uni ones.

Don't know who will play fullback now, but probably DHP who was a gun Schools fullback. Corey Brown will get a wing spot now. Geez, this team has a different look to the one that was originally picked with Rabbit O'Connor, Kurtley Beale and Robbie Horne in it.

Come on forwards.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So we play the Poms. Hell I'll be disappointed if we lose again against them in the semi. Those of you up north, how did they go in the 6 Nations?

Status
Not open for further replies.