• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Oz U20 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
THE AUSTRALIAN TEAM TO PLAY NEW ZEALAND TOMORROW (WEDNESDAY, 17 JUNE)

15. Dane Haylett-Petty
14. Rod Davies
13. Afusipa Taumoepeau
12. Ben Tapui
11. Robbie Coleman
10. Matt To'omua
9. Richard Kingi
8. Jake Schatz
7. Sam Latinipulu
6. Andrew Shaw
5. Robert Simmons
4. David McDuling
3. James Slipper
2. Damian Fitzpatrick (capt)
1. Albert Anae

Reserves

16. Nathan Charles
17. Ben Whittaker
18. Kane Douglas
19. Tom Murday
20. Nick White
21. Peter Betham
22. Corey Brown

Robbie Coleman into the first XV. Interesting.

I think this is on Fox Sports (highlights) on Thursday morning, but can be streamed live on the irb web site.

F

formeropenside

9 Queenslanders (including To'omua) in the run on 15. 8 of them have Reds or Reds Academy contracts.

I've reached the point of giving up on recruiting, or trying to get lapsed Queenslanders to come home, just dont lose the players we have and want to keep.

We'd contribute the Finger twins, and possibly Turinui, to this "5th team" come 2011 though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Robbie Coleman, the Oz Schools flyhalf from last year and ahead of Corey Brown for the wing spot, is a huge surprise. Fair enough that he should be on the bench to back up To'omua, but on the wing??

McDuling ahead of Kane Douglas is a bit of a surprise too, but Nucifora probably wanted a bit more grunt and McDuling has that.

The others are as expected, given that O'Conor was pulled out of the original team and Beale and Horne were injured over there.

2 hookers on the bench looks a bit goofy, but Fitzpatrick can play in the backrow if needs be, and Whittaker is probably the reserve prop.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
formeropenside said:
9 Queenslanders (including To'omua) in the run on 15. 8 of them have Reds or Reds Academy contracts.

I've reached the point of giving up on recruiting, or trying to get lapsed Queenslanders to come home, just dont lose the players we have and want to keep.

We'd contribute the Finger twins, and possibly Turinui, to this "5th team" come 2011 though.

Quite seriously, I doubt the Reds will hold on to most of them.

Kingi is a good 'un, but will struggle for game time behind Lucas and Genia. Which is fine in a way, as all have great potential as half backs. Can see him going elsewhere.

Tapui will struggle for game time behind Barnes, Chambers, Turinuri. Like Kingi, can see him going elsewhere.

I think that Slipper is more promising than Anae at prop, and he has time to develop. With all the Australian sides now pretty settled in the propping stakes, Slipper will probably hang around at the Reds and maybe leapfrog Edwards in a year or two as the second THP. Anae will maybe lose a contract behind Holmes and Daley.

Simmons litmus test will come maybe not next year, but the year after when Van is sure to be gone and he'd be fighting the ill tempered Byrnes (and maybe Taylor) for a starting spot. If 3M was gone, I doubt the Reds would keep Simmons.

My biggest hopes are for Shaw and Schatz. Shaw to develop as an openside the Reds need, and Schatz to bulk up to a combatative number 8 in a few years. The Reds will either really be relying upon Shaw or Luafutu soon.

I am really keen to watch this game to see how this side goes. Really disappointed not to be seeing Beale and Horne running around though.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ash said:
Really disappointed not to be seeing Beale and Horne running around though.

Yes. They are both Deans projects who have had shocking "luck". It's a year now since Robbie first tried to send them to an U20 World Cup to get great experience in a world cup environment. Didn't get much value either time.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Didn't think Betham was in the original squad so maybe he has been flown in to cover for injuries? Would have though that maybe he, DHP and Davies would have been the starting back three.

Despite those missing through injury it is still a strong team. Hope they do well.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Pete got flown over to cover for Beale but he hasn't been in great form. He played first grade last Saturday but he's been playing 2nd Grade mostly.

Still, I'd rather have a real winger starting as wing instead of a flyhalf. It's ironic: flyhalf Coleman replaced Rabbit O'Connor, a fullback or centre, in the team and now he's wearing the 11 jersey.

Yeah, it's a strong team but it was last year too. They had better take their chance this year because I'd predict that the 2010 team won't have the same standard of players as in 2008 and 2009.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the Oz v Small Blacks game is now live on Fox Sports 3 this evening starting at 5.51pm precisely.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
14-7 to Oz early in the 2nd half. Try was scored after good pressure forced a very bad NZ kick and Tapui got a lucky bounce.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Kiwis just scored again off a chargedown - poor pass to Kingi. 14-14 now.

Make that 19-14 as a shocker of a bounce fools Haylett-Petty and allows Guildford through.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, the best we can help for is Third place now. Our boys look a shot duck. Hope I'm wrong :(

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
31-17 as their fullback brushes the three-quarter line off to touch down. These kids tackle like me - all arms, no shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.