• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Oz U20 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah but what do you expect when they're high school or college kids living in a third-world rugby environment? Guys like Beale and Kingi are getting paid to play rugby and it shows.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
PaarlBok said:
Look like the Ebersohn twins also had a big jol against Fiji and a few cards flying around. SA 36 Fiji 10.

I hate those big scores first up. More some grinding wins first up.
36-10 doesn't sound like too bad a score for the Fijians. Thought the Junior Boks might have put on more.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SARugby release
South Africa Under-20 team to play Italy

South African Under-20 coach Eric Sauls on Monday announced his team to play Italy
in their second Group C fixture at the IRB Junior World Championship in Osaka, Japan
at 15h00 (RSA time - 08h00) on Tuesday.

Eight changes were made by the Baby Boks coach to his side that defeated Fiji 36-10
on Friday in their opening match of the tournament.

Wingers Gerhard van der Heever and Seabela Omphile replace Clayton Blommetjies, who
is included on the bench and Sampie Mastriet, who falls out of the match day 22.

Vodacom Western Province Under-20 centre Nicolaas Hanekom, who will partner the Baby
Boks captain Robert Ebersohn, comes into the side in the place of Johan Sadie. The
South African side also boasts a new half-back combination with Lionel (flyhalf) and
Ross Cronje (scrumhalf) making the starting lineup in place of Francois Brummer and
Rudy Paige.

SA Under-20 coach Sauls also changed his front-row combinations with Caylib
Oosthuizen (prop) and Zane Botha (hooker) making the side instead of Morne Mellet
and Kyle Cooper.

Baby Boks flank Yaasir Hartzenberg comes into the side ahead of Tendayi Chikukwa
while lock Jan Andre Marais drops out of the match day 22 and is replaced by
Kenechukwu Ofakor.

SA Under-20 Team: Sias Ebersohn, Gerhard van der Heever, Nicolaas Hanekom, Robert
Ebersohn (c), Seabela Omphile, Lionel Cronje, Ross Cronje, Christiaan Stander,
Yaasir Hartzenberg, Marnus Schoeman, David Bulbring, Kenechukwu Ofakor, Julian
Redelinghuys, Zane Botha, Caylib Oosthuizen. Substitutions - Kyle Cooper, Coenraad
Oosthuizen, Morne Mellet, Tendayi Chikukwa, Rudy Paige, Johan Sadie, Clayton
Blommetjies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Interesting one on the Ebersohn Twins. Write this names down, think Robert will become our next Danie Gerber
IRB
Twins propel South African title charge
(IRB.COM) Monday 8 June 2009

Twin brothers Robert (left) and Sias Ebersohn are playing in tandem for South Africa in JapanTen. The number on Sias Ebersohn's jersey and the scant number of points not scored by him and twin brother Robert in South Africa's opening 36-10 win in Japan against Fiji on Friday.

The older brother by just 30 seconds, Sias scored 21 points in their IRB TOSHIBA Junior World Championship opener - one try, two conversions, three penalty goals and one drop goal - to earn himself the second highest tally in the tournament so far and also become only the second person to register a 'full house' in JWC history. He even upstaged his captain and brother, who crossed for a single try.

For much of the past year Robert has been a full-time Sevens player in South Africa, helping Paul Treu's side to its first ever World Series title, but the two still live together. They also went to the same school and play rugby for the same team, the Free State Cheetahs, but somehow they have escaped any problems often encountered through sibling rivalry.

“We don’t play in the same position, he is the fly half and I used to play number 8," said Robert.

"Then, when I was 18, I moved to centre so we have never had a rivalry. Instead, we inspire each other to play better.”

In fact, both on and off the pitch the relationship borders on the telepathic. Away from the game they finish each other's sentences with wry grins and, when playing in tandem for their country, the passes and lines of running are unusually 'in sync'.

Influential father figure

“We have a good link and maybe some special understanding, but that is because we’ve spent a lot of time together and not in a psychic way," said Sias. "The teams always see us as a good combination. I always pass to him when everyone is tackling me so he can score a try.”

The two started playing rugby when they were just six years old at Free State's famous rugby nursey Grey College, but even before that rugby was in their blood - both their father and grandfather were also rugby men and Greys Old Boys.

“We were privileged to have our father on our side, specifically in primary school. Then, he taught us more than the school coaches did," said Sias.

"As we get older the game changes so other people know more than him but he gave us the good foundation and other coaches just went further from that foundation."

“Also, it’s good to go back home where you’ve got someone to talk to," echoed Robert.

"He understands and he can have an opinion on your game and can give us advice. It is not always the best advice but at least he knows he can relate to what we are saying. He is always our best supporter, but also our critic."

South Africa's next opponents are Italy, who were beaten by France 43-13 in their opening Pool C match, and the twins are two of only six players retained from the Fiji game.

Different tastes

“I think it’s a good thing playing together with Sias in the same team. I know what his best is because I've played with him since we were [“born,” laughs Sias].. six. So when he is not good I'm not afraid to go to him and say, ‘this is not your best, you can play better than this’.

“With other guys, I’m a bit afraid to say that because you don’t really know them that much. And when I am not my best, Sias will criticise me positively. I can trust him, and I can tell him what I won’t tell anyone else,” said the captain.

Sias agreed: “Against Fiji we struggled a bit at the beginning because it was the first match of the World cup. As we went on, we managed to get more rhythm and our condition will be better in the next games.”

Rugby aside, however, the two young men are quite different: Sias loves the great outdoors - fishing, hunting and mountain biking - while Robert prefers to relax at home; Robert loves chocolate, Sias cannot stand it; Robert guards his possessions proudly, Sias is more open and sharing. So it's not all happy families then..

“Sometimes we fight, a big, big fight," and the prospect is baffling as the two heads nod in agreement.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
PaarlBok said:
Interesting one on the Ebersohn Twins. Write this names down, think Robert will become our next Danie Gerber

Wow - that's big talk PB; Danie could play. It's a pity that the bulk of his career was during a time when SA Rugby was isolated.

Have seen Robert in 7s and he looks handy in that discipline, though that is no great recommendation. Willie Bishop is a pretty handy player for Oz 7s, but he can't get a start in my local amateur club team 1st XV.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Just saw our lot beating Italy 65-3 for what its worth.

No seriously Lee, Robert remind me a lot to Danie with ball in hand and the way he run. Think he is a bit small in statute but is still very young. He could have played easily for the Cheetahs S14 and made the right decision, also Snyman of the 7s. The Cheetahs will have some debt in the midfield once the CC kicks off, in fact I am sure the Cheetahs will have some debt once their structure has repaired with all the Sharks poaching stopped.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wallabies beat Tonga 40-6

Team was:

1 Kesomi Lolotonga
2 Nathan Charles
3 James Slipper
4 Kane Douglas
5 David McDuling
6 Tom Murday
7 Andrew Shaw
8 Lala Lam
9 Nicholas White
10 Matt To'omua (C)
11 Rodney Davies
12 Robbie Coleman
13 Afusipa Taumoepeau
14 Corey Brown
15 Dane Haylett-Petty

16 Ben Whittaker (R)
17 Albert Anae (R)
18 Rob Simmons
19 Jake Schatz (R)
20 Richard Kingi (R)
21 Mark Swanepoel (R)
22 Kurtley Beale (R)

Rodney Davies 2, Afusipa Taumoepeau, Nathan Charles, Tom Murday, Mark Swanepoel tries
Nicholas White 4 Con; Kurltey Beale conv

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
NTA said:
Sorry I must be missing something - is Fitzpatrick injured?

Probably just rested. That is a second string team, so I just think its a case of giving Charles and Whittaker a bit of game time. Jeez our depth at hooker isn't too bad eh?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Match report
Baby Boks comprehensively defeat Italy

The South African Under-20 team ran in 10 tries as they completely outclassed Italy
by 65-3 to win their second Pool C fixture at the IRB Junior World Championship in
Osaka, Japan on Tuesday.

Vodacom Blue Bulls wingers Gerhard van den Heever, Omphile Seabela and Vodacom Free
State Cheetahs flyhalf Lionel Cronje each scored a brace of tries. Baby Boks captain
Robert Ebersohn, fullback Sias Ebersohn and reserves Tendayi Chikukwa and Johan
Sadie also all crossed the try-line for the South Africans.

The SA team scored three tries before the break to boast a comfortable 20-3
half-time lead. Van den Heever ran in with two tries while Seabela was the other
try-scorer for the Baby Boks in the first-half.

However the South Africans were in rampant mood after the break with Cronje crossing
the try-line twice in second half. Italy's only points came via a penalty kick by
reserve fullback Michele Mortali in the 28th minute of the first half.

The Baby Boks will play France in their final round-robin fixture on Saturday to
determine the winner of Pool C. The French also secured their second win at the IRB
Junior World Championship on Tuesday after scoring seven tries in their 48-25
victory over Fiji.
Scores: South Africa - Tries: Gerhard van der Heever (2), Omphile Seabela (2),
Lionel Cronje (2), Robert Ebersohn, Sias Ebersohn, Tendayi Chikukwa, Johan Sadie;
Conversions: Sias Ebersohn (4), Lionel Cronje (2); Penalty: Sias Ebersohn. Italy -
Penalty: Michele Mortali

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
barbarian said:
Jeez our depth at hooker isn't too bad eh?

Watch this space in a few years time.

I hope that Charles, Sydney Uni's 1st Grade hooker, gets promoted by the Brumbies to get a rookie contract next year. He's a top player, but with the likely reduction of squads he may find himself left behind.

By contrast Damien Fitzpatrick, though a year behind Charles at school, has already played Super 14 for the Tahs and is reportedly close to signing with the Force. Likewise Ben Whittaker, also in the U/20 team, and plucked from rugby obscurity for the Force Academy last year, has already appeared in the Super14.

Luke Holmes will be dumped by the Force and is back where he belongs: playing for the Rats, and the Force are looking at getting Pom Andy Titterall, though he is no great shakes. He's played for England, but whenever I saw Gloucester this year he was on the bench. He's a small bloke and a Schalk Brits type of hooker rather than a bruiser. He can shift.

Thus Fitzpatrick may find himself starting in some S14 games next year, whereas he may have found himself to be 3rd string with Freier healthy again, had he stayed in Sydney.

He may have made a good move, but I hope he comes back to Sydney some day.

But I digress.

[Edit: Oops called him Kirkpatrick - so this to counter any more sarcasm. It was 2 o'clock in the morning Your Honour.]

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
You reallly are getting old Lee. Can Lindo confirm he was ok on Saturday. Bit worried when you cant recall your own flesh and bloods name. Or am I missing a joke here?

P

poolersaint

Bit worried bout what Oz will do to Wales on saturday. We(wales) don't have the strongest squad at the moment which hasn't been helped by the non-selection of many of our better players- who are on the full Welsh tour to North America and Heineken Cup playoffs back home in Wales.

S

Spook

poolersaint said:
Bit worried bout what Oz will do to Wales on saturday. We(wales) don't have the strongest squad at the moment which hasn't been helped by the non-selection of many of our better players- who are on the full Welsh tour to North America and Heineken Cup playoffs back home in Wales.

poolersaint (welcome by the way), how did your blokes go in the u/20 6Ns this year?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah, welcome mate. What's your view on Wales (and France) losing 3 pool points in 2009 and 2010 because of the fight they had in the 2008 U/20 comp.

It was a great fight but the penalty to mostly other players is a bit harsh.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
FULL TIME: AUSTRALIA 40-6 TONGA

Australia remain in control of Pool D after beating a brave Tonga 40-6 at the Best Amenity Stadium in Saga on the second match day at the IRB TOSHIBA Junior World Championship 2009.

Despite leaving four-try heroes Richard Kingi – who scored a Junior World Championship record 26 points in their opening 86-0 defeat of Canada – and the elusive Kurtley Beale on the bench, a much changed Australia made a flying start with centre Afusipa Taumoepeau opening the scoring in the fifth minute after some impressive running from full back Dane Haylett-Petty. Nicholas White kicked the conversion to make it 7-0.

However, Tonga weren’t discouraged by Australia’s attack and were quick to hit back with a ninth minute penalty from Johnnie Morath-Hansen. Tonga backs showed their speed and running skills as the first quarter drew to a close, positioning themselves deep in Australia’s half but the defence held firm and kept their try-line intact.

Tonga did reduce Australia’s advantage to a point with another Morath-Hansen penalty in the 24th minute, but hooker Nathan Charles and wing Rodney Davies crossed for Australia to send their side in leading 21-6 at half time with White having converted both scores.

Australia, who are one of the favourites to be crowned champions in Japan, made the perfect start to the second half when wing Corey Brown made a great counterattack and passed to flanker Tom Murday to score the bonus point securing fourth try to make it 28-6 after 45 minutes following White’s conversion.

If the floodgates were expected to open then they didn’t despite Australia controlling the ball in Tongan territory and not allowing their opponents any space to again showcase their running skills. Australia did finish with a flourish, scoring 12 points in the final five minutes with tries from Davies and replacement Mark Swanepoel.

The margin of victory didn’t reflect Tonga's determined effort as throughout the passionate islanders chased and tackled Australia throughout the match and were unlucky not to be rewarded with a try for their concerted efforts in Saga.

Australia now look forward to playing Wales in the Pool D decider on Saturday, knowing that victory will see them head to Tokyo for the semi finals and a guaranteed improvement on last year’s fifth place. Tonga now turn their attention to Canada and ending the pool stages on a high with victory.

POST MATCH REACTION

Australia Coach David Nucifora: “Tonga was very determined and forced us to make mistakes. We are happy to come through without injury. It was a scrappy game, but we are happy to get a victory. For Saturday’s game against Wales, we would like to improve our ball control and a combination.”

Australia captain Matthew To’omua: “Tonga was a very physical team. We are happy to face Wales without losing any players by injury.”

Tonga Coach John Edwards: “We had no space to run and our scrum struggled to feed a ball to our backs. We made many mistakes, so we would like to improve that for Saturday’s game.”

Tonga Captain Halaleva Fifita: “It was a great experience for us to match up against Australia, who contained many players from the Super 14. We would now like to train hard and prepare for a game against Canada.”

No tries against yet - that's good.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Injury has forced strike weapon centre Rob Horne out of the Australian Under 20 team's campaign at the IRB Junior World Championships in Japan.

Horne damaged a hamstring in the opening match, an 86-nil thrashing of Canada on Friday, and was told after tonight's second game against Tonga that his participation in the titles was over.

The NSW Waratahs youngster will fly back to Australia tomorrow.

Clinton Sills from Sydney University will replace Horne in the squad.

"The medical staff has decided Rob will not recover in time to play any further part in the tour," said Australian Under 20 coach David Nucifora.

"His replacement (Sills) recently made his Australian Sevens debut in the IRB World Series Sevens tournaments in England and Scotland."

There are 16 teams playing four pools of four at the Junior World Championships.

The top team in each pool will advance to the semi finals.

Australia is in Pool D alongside Canada, Tonga and Wales.

The Australians beat Canada in a 14-try romp before downing Tonga earlier tonight 40-6.

They play Wales on Saturday to decide which of the two nations advances to the semi finals.
Back

another injury? Concerning?

Status
Not open for further replies.