• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pacific Rugby Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Just out of curiosity how full strength are the Pacific teams in this? Is it made up of players from their local leagues or are there professionals involved?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Mostly A teams from the Pacific Islands so it's more about developing depth for these teams.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Anyone got a take on Bill Meakes?
I'ver seen him play a few times and not seen much to write home about but he always seems to make these sort of teams - he must be 24 as he was in the same year (or a year behind?) beale at school - Junior world cup for isntance.
i dont think he's ever had a contract with s15 franchise.

Bill is two years younger than Kurtley and turned 22 last month. He played in the Oz U/20 team in 2011 - and if memory serves, he was called in when Joel Faulkner was injured.

He's one of those unfashionable, big (94kg) inside centres who likes to bend the line. His point of difference in the Shute Shield was that he was able to impose his physicality in 1st Grade at a young age.

Now he is older he will have to get a few more arrows in his quiver, or the rugby world will pass him by.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
How did Damon Anderson play? He's been around for a while now and has been a solid Shute Shield player. Is he worthy of S15 contract anywhere?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Team lists for today's matches:

National Academy (Brisbane) v Junior Japan
10 Jake McIntyre (C) -Sunnybank
15 Jonah Placid - Easts

It's good to see these 2012 Schoolboys getting an early chance for the National Academy - Qld.

McIntyre played for NSW Schools but he is from Alstonville, up in Northern Rivers country, and was already doing some Academy training north of the Tweed last year.

He can play 10 or 15 with equal facility and though there's not a lot of him he is a brave rooster. As a flyhalf he has an all-round game, including sound organisation skills. As a fullback he is a good custodian, as well as being a fine support player running from the back.

These attributes in two positions in a (2012) schoolboy are rare. It will be interesting watching him as a senior player down the track to see if he can retain that high-level versatility playing against men.

Those who saw the 2012 Oz Schools v NZ Schools game on TV will remember Jonah Placid. He's a bit like leaguie Billy Slater on the run and I look forward to seeing if he can add a bit of custodial stuff to his repertoire.

And, just in passing, the same goes for Jesse Mogg at the Brumbies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
How did Damon Anderson play? He's been around for a while now and has been a solid Shute Shield player. Is he worthy of S15 contract anywhere?

He got smoked once by the Tonga A fullback, but shouldn't feel too bad about it. The Tonga lad looked like Lelia Masaga on that run and smoked a few other Academics.

Anderson has been with the Oz Sevens team and the Junior Tahs back in the day, but is just 21 years old. 2013 will have to be his moving year because other young players are emerging.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
Absent Friend said:

Always interested in your opinion Lee:
*what does "moving sideways" mean?
* Where is Quinn planning to play this season (clubland)
*Is Cameron from NS?
*How did the two "Brothers Bopper" (Mikey and Alan) handle the scrums
*What about Miller? How did he handle a return to the front row?

Thanks Lee

I stuffed up editing Absent Friend's quote in his post but readers can probably make sense of things - I'm answering his question.

LG

qwerty is right: Roach isn't getting any taller so there is just one way to go - sideways.

The scrums were very good on both days; so LHP Mike and THP Alan obviously did their jobs well. They are right on track at their age - well, scrub that - they are ahead of most props at their age. A part of that is because they matured physically sooner than their contemporaries - who will catch up later - but you suspect that a part of it is talent also.

21 year old Mike has been training with the Tahs and does OK at training, thank you very much. Alan, the heavier and taller of the brothers, has just turned 19 and thus has two more IRB U/20 tournaments to look forward to.

I criticised Mike for being overweight in a Shute Shield game last year but I must have been looking at the wrong bloke. Both the lads look fit and had no trouble getting around the park for as long as they were on it.

Sorry, I didn't notice Millar much when he came on last Thursday or yesterday.

PS - can anybody tell me anything about Tomasi Kolo - obviously a prop - who was a reserve yesterday instead of Jed Gillespie? A huge mother - seen here on the left. (He didn't get long on the park.)

IMG_3169.JPG

PPS - I've just googled him - represented Fiji in the 2011 U/20s and played already for Eastern Suburbs 1st Grade in 2012.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Moving sideways as in he's not getting taller but wider. Roach was the best of the field both games for me as well. Big engine.
Quinn plays for Uni and is a Kiwi I think, played 1st colts last year but didn't stand out.
NS? North Sydney? He plays for Norths
Sydney always had a dominant scrum, both love the physical stuff.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hope Hugh Roach is given an EPS contract at the Tahs next year.

He'd be a good replacement for Fitzpatrick.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
PS - can anybody tell me anything about Tomasi Kolo - obviously a prop - who was a reserve yesterday instead of Jed Gillespie? A huge mother - seen here

Gillespie broke his thumb in last weeks game v Samoa

George King

Frank Row (1)
National Academy (Sydney) v Junior Japan 24th March Griffith Park Canberra 4pm

Name
Club
Mike Ala'alatoa
Southern Districts
Hugh Roach
Eastwood
Allan Ala'alatoa
Southern Districts
Will Skelton
Sydney University
Steve Cummins
Eastwood
Michael Wells
Norths
Kotoni Ale (C)
Manly
Pat Sio
Norths
Waldo Wessels
Southern Districts
David Horwitz
Randwick
Pete Schuster
Norths
Tommy Hill
Eastwood
Billy Meakes
Northern Suburbs
Jac Cameron
Norths
BJ Hartman
Manly

Sione Kolo
Easts
Will Weakes
Northern Suburbs
Guy Millar
Sydney University
Matt Phillip
Manly
Sam Ward
Warringah
Jock Merriman
Sydney University
Apolosi Latunipulu
Souths
Jack Debreczeni
West Harbour

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)

Name
Club
Billy Meakes
Northern Suburbs
Will Weakes
Northern Suburbs
Is this a case of extremely similar names? :)

Putting that aside, this is a pretty strong looking squad in the circumstances, not that I am particularly qualified to comment (but that's never stopped me before).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Pat Sio
Norths

Good to see Scott's young brother getting a game. Showed a lot of promise last year in SS. Will be interesting to see if the Tahs take him on board or let another slip through their fingers.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
.....LHP Mike and THP Allan (Ala'alatoa).....I criticised Mike for being overweight in a Shute Shield game last year but I must have been looking at the wrong bloke. Both the lads look fit and had no trouble getting around the park for as long as they were on it.

Michael WAS overweight and carrying too much puppy fat last year; I saw one photo of him with a most unflattering roll of something hanging out of his jumper. But he seems to've knuckled down over summer and looks a picture of prop fitness this year. I spoke to Michael at the airport four weeks ago (he was on his way to Melbourne for a Tahs A match, I was going to Brisbane) and congratulated him on his fitness work; he admitted he'd pulled his finger out.

Nice to see Michael get a start at rep rugby (he and Scott Sio played all their junior club rugby with my son, from about under 8s) and I wish him well. Allan, on the other hand, has the potential to be the better prop of the two. He's got the perfect body shape for a prop and has had a hard edge of physical toughness since he was, about, 6. Allan'll go a long way.

TBH, during all the years I've watched Michael play I reckon he'd make a damned good number 8. Perfect body shape for it combined with the way he likes bashing the ball up in traffic. I suggested it to him one day ("just have a go playing at 8") but his heart lies in the fiery furnace of the front row.

JT0406

Allen Oxlade (6)

Name
Club
Mike Ala'alatoa
Southern Districts
Hugh Roach
Eastwood
Allan Ala'alatoa
Southern Districts
Will Skelton
Sydney University
Steve Cummins
Eastwood
Michael Wells
Norths
Kotoni Ale (C)
Manly
Pat Sio
Norths
Waldo Wessels
Southern Districts
David Horwitz
Randwick
Pete Schuster
Norths
Tommy Hill
Eastwood
Billy Meakes
Northern Suburbs
Jac Cameron
Norths
BJ Hartman
Manly

Sione Kolo
Easts
Will Weakes
Northern Suburbs
Guy Millar
Sydney University
Matt Phillip
Manly
Sam Ward
Warringah
Jock Merriman
Sydney University
Apolosi Latunipulu
Souths
Jack Debreczeni
West Harbour

Name
Club
Mike Ala'alatoa
Southern Districts
Hugh Roach
Eastwood
Allan Ala'alatoa
Southern Districts
Will Skelton
Sydney University
Steve Cummins
Eastwood
Michael Wells
Norths
Kotoni Ale (C)
Manly
Pat Sio
Norths
Waldo Wessels
Southern Districts
David Horwitz
Randwick
Pete Schuster
Norths
Tommy Hill
Eastwood
Billy Meakes
Northern Suburbs
Jac Cameron
Norths
BJ Hartman
Manly

Sione Kolo
Easts
Will Weakes
Northern Suburbs
Guy Millar
Sydney University
Matt Phillip
Manly
Sam Ward
Warringah
Jock Merriman
Sydney University
Apolosi Latunipulu
Souths
Jack Debreczeni
West Harbour

According to Syd Uni website, Millar & Merriman are listed to play in the curtain raiser (Tahs vs Blues) game.

Status
Not open for further replies.