• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Players to watch in 2014 - The Goal of the NRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindside

Stan Wickham (3)
Expecting a big year for David Porecki in 2014. Coming off the back of his debut year in 1st grade, which included a good old fashioned scrum duel with Paddy Ryan in the semi final, word from Marlin territory is he has packed on a bit of bulk and is really stepping things up. Look for him to feature in the NRC in a big way in the hope of securing a Super Rugby contract.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I expect most of the players who will shine in the NRC will be current members of S15 teams. At the end of the Super season, only 30 players will be missing due to Wallabies' duties, and probably another 12 - 15 due to injury, retirement etc. Even allowing for the extra number of teams in the NRC, the bulk of the players will come from existing S15 teams and EPS.

From the Brumbies' squad, I expect Siliva Siliva to shine, and move up the pecking order of potential Wallaby hookers, Ruaridh Murphy and Ruan Smith to form the top front row in the comp with the Wallabies missing, Jordan Smiler to be outstanding at 6 and Stephan van der Walt to have an eye-catching series on the wing. I'm also looking very forward to seeing how Jack Whetton goes at lock. Fotu Auelua will be a standout at 8 if he's not then in the Wallabies' squad.

Newbies I'm looking forward to watching include Jonah Placid and Michael Gunn (QLD), Kotoni Ale and Patrick Sio (NSW), and Staniforth (ACT).

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I think you will find that Wallaby duty and injuries will remove at least 60 players leaving about 115 players. If there are 8 teams of 30, then 240 players are required and there will be about a 50/50 split between super and club rugby. If there are 10 teams, then the majority will be club players.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I think you will find that Wallaby duty and injuries will remove at least 60 players leaving about 115 players. If there are 8 teams of 30, then 240 players are required and there will be about a 50/50 split between super and club rugby. If there are 10 teams, then the majority will be club players.

Great opportunity for young up & comers now. Guess thats why the Comp was formed. Wonder whether all players will get a few $$ out of this.

T

Train Without a Station

All I was getting at was that of the Reds 4 centre options, last year CFS and Harris were called up to the Wallabies due to injuries, so there is potential of 4 contracted players playing to fill 4 starting spots, and then that's not even considering if the Reds want players to get time in different positions that they cover but don't play regularly (e.g. Lucas at 12, Turner at 13, etc.), so to say anybody who is playing club rugby HAS to be first choice in any position for any team is a bit of a stretch.

T

TOCC

The bulk of the starting players in both teams will be made up of those currently involved in the Reds system...

There's almost 45 players training regularly at the Reds when you include wider training squads etc... So even minus the Wallaby contingent and those injured, you are going to have around 30 players to select before you even really look at the club scene..

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
15 players to make up the Wobblies and rehab teams!
Either you are being too pessimistic regarding National train on squad,or you are being to optimistic about injuries.
Or both.
IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.