• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pom Vs Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

Noddy said:
This is a big game, in my eyes, for Stirlo. No. Scratch that. A big tour.

I am a massive fan of the man and this year he was 'officially' named in the "All Time (since 1984) Noddy First XV" (surpassing Jason Little for the 13 jersey). But I have been concerned about his form. Sure he can still bring it on, but his consistency seems to be slipping. Not the same high quality every game. To me this was the first (and continuing) sign of the demise of Gregan and Larkham. They just weren't happy to play the high standard of rugby every test.

I reckon Stirlo MAY be going down the same route. I'd be very surprised if he is around in 2010 and we may even have a new skipper come 2009

Totally agree, the intensity just isn't there and he just seems to be going through the motions.
hey, test rugby coupled with S14 takes ahuge toll, particularly on a 13 so it is no surprise his body can't deliver all the time.

F

formeropenside

As far as I can tell, the game is ONLY on Channel 10 as follows:

Rugby Spring Tour 2008

Sunday 16th November / Special
1:00AM - 3:30AM

(I think thats Brisbane time).

No Foxtel, no nothing.

Thats an interesting all time (since 1984 for me too) idea. I might see what I can come up with.

1. Tony Daly
2. Moore
3. Topo Rodriguez
4. McCall
5. Eales
6. Matt Cockbain
7. Stinky Wilson
8. Steve Kefu
9. Nick Farr-Jones
10. Lynagh
11. Campese
12. Horan
13. Dan Herbert
14. Ben Tune
15. Chris Latham

16. Tom Lawton
17. Dan Crowley
18. Troy Coker
19. George Smith
20. Gregan (until about 2001 model)
21. Jason Little
22. Stirling Mortlock

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
RE: Mumm-MMM
I agree that Mumm is very unlucky to miss out but with Brown starting at 8 I think MMM is a better option. If Palu was starting then you would have to pick Mumm.

Palu & MMM are better ball runners but I see Mumm & Brown more as the dirty workers. MMM will want to be our best ball carrier on saturday & he has to eat up plenty of yards.

RE: Stirlo
I agree with Noddy, he is the man but Stirlo is like Larkham last year still a good player but his great games are becoming few & far between.

I hope he lifts just one more time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
FOS, 1984 was my awakening to the world of sports. Grand Slam tour. LA Olympics, Wally dominated league that year (his best ever year), we toured the Windies (AB was awesome) and then they came here.

I think it came from following the Americas Cup in 83. I realised that this 'watching sport' thing was alright. Plus I was 11, a little more mature as to what I liked.

My team, by the way, is:

15 Matty Burke
14 Ben Tune
13 Stirling Mortlock
12 Tim Horan
11 David Campese
10 Michael Lynagh
9 Nick Farr-Jones (9)
8 Tim Gavin
7 David Wilson
6 Willie O
5 John Eales
4 Steve Cutler
3 Ewen McKenzie
2 Phil Kearns
1 Topo Rodrigez

As I said, I finally committed to Stirlo over Little at OC. Smith v Wilson is the next consideration.

H

hi-jinks

I love these best of teams.
If it is post 84, then here goes:

1. Top
2. Lawton
3. McKenzie
4. Cutler
5. Eales
6. Poido
7. Willi O
8. Fefu
9. Nick Far
10. Noddy
11. Campo
12. Horan
13. Mortlock
14. Lote
15. Burke

As far as Sheridan goes for this week, I would like to see him tested this week. By all accounts he sounds like a real work horse and trains very hard. His success is no fluke. Hearing (from a former Sale conditioner) that he has a massive work desire to scrumage and lift massive weights I can only be an admirer.
We all know Vickery is a massive workhorse.
The test will be if we are "up for it" or not.

S

Spook

formeropenside said:
Thats an interesting all time (since 1984 for me too) idea. I might see what I can come up with.
15. Chris Latham

Burke was far more reliable over his career. I don't think Latho achieved quite as much for Oz as people might like to think. I can't remember him ever winning a match for us against one of the big sides. I could of course be mistaken ;)

S

Spook

Noddy said:
This is a big game, in my eyes, for Stirlo. No. Scratch that. A big tour.

I am a massive fan of the man and this year he was 'officially' named in the "All Time (since 1984) Noddy First XV" (surpassing Jason Little for the 13 jersey). But I have been concerned about his form. Sure he can still bring it on, but his consistency seems to be slipping. Not the same high quality every game. To me this was the first (and continuing) sign of the demise of Gregan and Larkham. They just weren't happy to play the high standard of rugby every test.

I reckon Stirlo MAY be going down the same route. I'd be very surprised if he is around in 2010 and we may even have a new skipper come 2009

I have to agree. Could be his final year. I still think he is our best option at 13 at this stage but he has missed Barnes at 12 often playing there himself and we all know he isn't a 12. He led us to victory at Durban and that was big.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
As far as I can tell, the game is ONLY on Channel 10 as follows:

Rugby Spring Tour 2008

Sunday 16th November / Special
1:00AM - 3:30AM

(I think thats Brisbane time).

No Foxtel, no nothing.

1. Tony Daly
2. Moore
3. Topo Rodriguez
4. McCall
5. Eales
6. Matt Cockbain
7. Stinky Wilson
8. Steve Kefu
9. Nick Farr-Jones
10. Lynagh
11. Campese
12. Horan
13. Dan Herbert
14. Ben Tune
15. Chris Latham

16. Tom Lawton
17. Dan Crowley
18. Troy Coker
19. George Smith
20. Gregan (until about 2001 model)
21. Jason Little
22. Stirling Mortlock
hmmm Steve Kefu eh :lmao:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
1. Top
2. Lawton
3. McKenzie
4. Cutler
5. Eales
6. Poido
7. Wilson
8. Willi O
9. Nick Far
10. Noddy
11. Campo
12. Horan
13. Mortlock
14. Tune
15. Burke

F

formeropenside

Spook said:
formeropenside said:
15. Chris Latham

Burke was far more reliable over his career. I don't think Latho achieved quite as much for Oz as people might like to think. I can't remember him ever winning a match for us against one of the big sides. I could of course be mistaken ;)

Burke only ever won games with his kicking boot: I never rated him at all. With Lynagh there to kick goals, there's no need for Burke.

...Noddy stuff...

Noddy - for me it was watching the 82-83 Ashes series: Chappell, Border, Thomsen, Hogg in full flight. Even then I suspected Kim Hughes was flakey. I still recall big Carl Rackemann knocking over the Pakis in 83-84 out at Perth (and then getting injured). Given as he had visited my school a few months before on a Sat AM (with the much underrated keeper Ray Phillips - how did he not get a run in the post-Marsh years before Healy?), I had a new hero, and confirmation that Queensland and its people are truly the most blessed in the world. Border, Wally Lewis, Andrew Slack: a great truimvirate.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
Spook said:
formeropenside said:
15. Chris Latham

Burke only ever won games with his kicking boot: I never rated him at all. With Lynagh there to kick goals, there's no need for Burke.

...Noddy stuff...

Noddy - for me it was watching the 82-83 Ashes series: Chappell, Border, Thomsen, Hogg in full flight. Even then I suspected Kim Hughes was flakey. I still recall big Carl Rackemann knocking over the Pakis in 83-84 out at Perth (and then getting injured). Given as he had visited my school a few months before on a Sat AM (with the much underrated keeper Ray Phillips - how did he not get a run in the post-Marsh years before Healy?), I had a new hero, and confirmation that Queensland and its people are truly the most blessed in the world. Border, Wally Lewis, Andrew Slack: a great truimvirate.

re Burkie - watch the 1998 Bledisloe Series Highlights again.

re: your sports watching. Yep I do remember that 82/83 series for Kepler's debut 100 at the gabba; Terry Alderman tackling the intruder and bunging his shoulder in perth and of course Thommo and AB at the MCG (and the Sidcrhrome Spanner commerical CH 9 went to to miss Thommo getting out). I have less recolections of that 83/84 series. I went to the 2nd test at the Gabba v the Pakis I know that. Because I remember going up to Rackemann to get his autograph after he toar through the Pakis in Perth, as you said, and he said "no". Always held it against him. Still do. I also remember thinking we had all the major Aussie skippers in AB, the King and Slack. And, for some reason, would always throw in Grant Kenny as well.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
re Burkie - watch the 1998 Bledisloe Series Highlights again.

Maybe you should as well, and you might consider Larkham over Lynagh.

I'm surprised that all of you would rate Lynagh better. He was great, no doubt, but couldn't open up a defense like Larkham could. Obviously a better kicker - I guess it might be a horses for courses option between those two.

In 98 I recall Larkham actually being pretty good with kicking out of hand. Pity he didn't keep that up consistently.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah, Bernie was a tough call. As was Ella obviously.

But obviously I have a natural bias towards Lynagh. That 91 Quarter Final did it for me.

Such assured captaincy and play under pressure. Ireland score, Australia are going home in less than 3 minutes. Noddy gets them all under the posts, calmly states "we'll kick long, they'll kick it out, we'll get the lineout and play this move to retain possession."

Its exactly what happens. He kicks long, Ireland kick out, Australia gets a lineout, runs a move bringing Campo back inside, he maintains possession and we get the lineout. 1 minute left and Australia are still down by 3 points. Horan and co are telling Noddy to take the drop goal and go to extra time. Noddy says "no, we'll play this move and go for the try". They play the move, the same one Campo has scored with earlier in the game, Ireland full for it again and this time Noddy himself scores in the corner. Absolute belief, clarity and execution. That stands him apart from Bernie for mine. But that's just personal.

H

hi-jinks

naza said:
hi-jinks said:
6. Poido
7. Willi O
14. Lote

Have you gone with a South African numbering scheme or is Willie O really your openside ?

Lote sucks.

Naza me boy you are showing your age here son.
Willie must be there. The reason is simple: He single handedly started the back row move. Here we go, an argument will start.....but here me out.
In 1991 we played the Poms (pre world cup) at the SFS. Bob Dwyer unleased all these back row moves. Willie had space and was devastating.
Sure, a year later the blacks started their own variations on the backrow move, who can forget the double switch Zinzan used to play and end up under the posts all the time!

As for Poido, the man is pure passion. I heard a funny story that last year he was helping coach an U10 Randwick rep team, they lost to Gordon. Poido was fuming. Someone had the courage to speak to him and he blasted out -"I can't lose to bloody Gordon!!"

Lote seemed a better option than Ben Tune - I could never pick a QLDander.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Noddy said:
But obviously I have a natural bias towards Lynagh. That 91 Quarter Final did it for me.

Such assured captaincy and play under pressure. Ireland score, Australia are going home in less than 3 minutes. Noddy gets them all under the posts, calmly states "we'll kick long, they'll kick it out, we'll get the lineout and play this move to retain possession."

Or you could ask the question - why were Ireland in front ?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
hi-jinks said:
naza said:
hi-jinks said:
6. Poido
7. Willi O
14. Lote

Have you gone with a South African numbering scheme or is Willie O really your openside ?

Lote sucks.

Willie must be there. The reason is simple: He single handedly started the back row move. Here we go, an argument will start.....but here me out.
In 1991 we played the Poms (pre world cup) at the SFS. Bob Dwyer unleased all these back row moves. Willie had space and was devastating.
Sure, a year later the blacks started their own variations on the backrow move, who can forget the double switch Zinzan used to play and end up under the posts all the time!

As for Poido, the man is pure passion. I heard a funny story that last year he was helping coach an U10 Randwick rep team, they lost to Gordon. Poido was fuming. Someone had the courage to speak to him and he blasted out -"I can't lose to bloody Gordon!!"

Jinks, you can't have a back row move without Bob Dwyer as coach and Tim Gavin at no8 and a stable scrum.

Find a place for Willie O by all means but your back row balance is off. A fetcher (Wilson/Poido/Smith) at openside, a big mean bastard (Willie O/Kefu/Williams/Palu) who can carry, and a grafter who tackles all day and wins you lineout pill (Gavin/Coker/Cockbain/Elsom). That's the winning formula. You've got Poido playing blindside and 2 big Islanders who'll run out of puff after 50 minutes, and nobody to jump at the back of the lineout.

I used to love Poido in the commentary booth screaming his head off. Beats robotic Tim Horan and the 'The Wallabies have to..' any day.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
naza said:
Noddy said:

Or you could ask the question - why were Ireland in front ?

Campo didn't tackle.

H

hi-jinks

naza said:
hi-jinks said:
naza said:
hi-jinks said:
6. Poido
7. Willi O
14. Lote

Lote sucks.

Jinks, you can't have a back row move without Bob Dwyer as coach and Tim Gavin at no8 and a stable scrum.

Find a place for Willie O by all means but your back row balance is off. A fetcher (Wilson/Poido/Smith) at openside, a big mean bastard (Willie O/Kefu/Williams/Palu) who can carry, and a grafter who tackles all day and wins you lineout pill (Gavin/Coker/Cockbain/Elsom). That's the winning formula. You've got Poido playing blindside and 2 big Islanders who'll run out of puff after 50 minutes, and nobody to jump at the back of the lineout.

I used to love Poido in the commentary booth screaming his head off. Beats robotic Tim Horan and the 'The Wallabies have to..' any day.

There you go Naza, like a true Aussie - you went and goy obsessed with the "balance of the backrow" BS and the preocupation with height. I didn't see anyone complaining about Kefu and Finegan being too short in the lineout. They were there to get across the gain line, just like Willie O and Dan Manu before them.
As for Tim Gavin, may I be so bold to smash another Tim Gavin myth? Tim Gavin was always a 2nd rower playing as a no.8. He was an ordinary no.8 truth be known, good second rower though. Very good lineout jumper @ 2 as well.
Then again, at the time the only other option was Troy Coker - so Gav was starting to look a good option.
Mind you the 2nd rowers pre Eales were hardly athletes (Fitsimons, Cutler, Campbell) Gav looked frightfully fast compared to those guys.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
hi-jinks said:
There you go Naza, like a true Aussie - you went and goy obsessed with the "balance of the backrow" BS and the preocupation with height. I didn't see anyone complaining about Kefu and Finegan being too short in the lineout. They were there to get across the gain line, just like Willie O and Dan Manu before them.
As for Tim Gavin, may I be so bold to smash another Tim Gavin myth? Tim Gavin was always a 2nd rower playing as a no.8. He was an ordinary no.8 truth be known, good second rower though. Very good lineout jumper @ 2 as well.
Then again, at the time the only other option was Troy Coker - so Gav was starting to look a good option.
Mind you the 2nd rowers pre Eales were hardly athletes (Fitsimons, Cutler, Campbell) Gav looked frightfully fast compared to those guys.

Finegan was 6'6" ! He didn't lack for size.

Balance in the loosies makes complete and utter sense these days. I never thought Willie O, Gav & Manu were a great combo, they were only a backrow mix cause Bob Dwyer was obsessed with size (Gav Morgan at blindside !), and Wilson was injured that year.

I don't think much of your Gavin at lock theory. He had terrific hands and good ball skills and a terrific workrate. If it weren't for injury, he'd be a much bigger name.

Status
Not open for further replies.