• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Poor old Rattlebones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
http://www.super14.com/news/viewarticle.asp?id=20062

Rathbone weighing up retirement

Former Wallabies winger Clyde Rathbone is seriously considering retiring from professional rugby at just 27 years of age.

The South African-born Rathbone had the potential to become one of the best ever finishers in the game, but his career has been dogged by injury. On the sidelines again with a quad strain, Rathbone will decide whether to continue playing or give the game away at the end of the Super 14 series, reports The Australian newspaper.

If he decides to continue playing, he will probably look overseas, as the Brumbies are unlikely to renew his contract for a seventh season. A move overseas could, however, disrupt Rathbone's work as a director of Health Futures, a corporate health business he established in Canberra with his wife, Carrie.

"I've got a couple of different options. Nothing is locked in yet," Rathbone said.

"My preference would be to continue with the Brumbies. My manager has put a few things on the table from overseas clubs. I've held off until I have a chat with the Brumbies.

"If I didn't get offered a contract with the Brumbies, I'm running a company out of Canberra and it would be difficult to pack up and leave. "I'm not leaning in one direction or another. I'll make a decision in the next couple of weeks." If Rathbone does go overseas or retire, he may have played his last game for the Brumbies.

Rathbone, who has not played since straining his quad in the warm-up before the Brumbies' win against the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein four weeks ago, aggravated the injury at training last Monday.

He missed the Brumbies' match with the Reds in Brisbane and is likely to be unavailable for the game against the Blues in Canberra next Saturday.

If the Brumbies do not reach the playoffs, Rathbone's last chance to play again may come against the Chiefs in the final round in Hamilton.

"I was 95 per cent right and then I re-strained it on Monday," a frustrated Rathbone said. "It's not good timing.

"The Blues is touch and go, but realistically I hope to be fit for the Chiefs."

A former South African under-21 captain, Rathbone was regarded as a future Springboks skipper. He led the Jake White-coached South African Under 21 team to victory in the 2002 World Cup.

After making his Super rugby debut for the Sharks against the Crusaders in 2002, Rathbone moved to Australia and joined the Brumbies. He was the object of anger from South African fans whenever he returned to his homeland.

Having an Australian grandmother meant Rathbone was eligible to play for the Wallabies immediately, but he missed the 2003 Super rugby season with a groin injury.

Nicknamed the White Rhino, the hard-running Rathbone played in the Brumbies' title-winning team in 2004 and showed what a great player he might become when he exploded on to the Test scene against Scotland.

S

Spook

He won a Super rugby title. Was brilliant in 2004. Injured since.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Spook said:
You mean kak since!. :lmao:

I read somewhere he'll try and have a go in a Olympic sport?.

Wont come back to SA, turned into a soft cock. ???

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
You lot paid a heftic prize for a Jake White dut. Nice. :thumb

Why did Jake White fight so hard to keep Rathbone in RSA?

A brilliant player but his career was sadly ended far too early by injury. I won't forget his three tries for the Wallabies when he replaced Wendell Sailor after the warm-up v England. Each was special and different to the others.

I have a lot of admiration for the way Rathbone fought adversity to come back from multiple injuries.

Mate, there is little doubt that the Australian influence gave the man a lot of courage. :fishing

I salute him.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
Spook said:
You mean kak since!. :lmao:

I read somewhere he'll try and have a go in a Olympic sport?.

Wont come back to SA, turned into a soft cock. ???

You seem to particularly enjoy bayonetting the wounded? And Not for the first time. Personally I don't enjoy seeing a blokes career ruined by injury regardless of colour or creed.

Perhaps if he takes up rape and robbery he'll be welcomed back in SA as a "hard man"? FYI, smashing a bloke pinned in a ruck from the side Botha-style doesn't make you a "hard man". Not many "hard men" in the Stormers either.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hang on Spook, Mate. Most South Africans think eye gouging, biting and cheap shots from behind define a hard man. Cultural differences, don'tcha know.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
South Africans have long memories boys. Like QLDers for that sort of thing :fishing:

In any case - damn shame for the 'bone, but his brilliance at the junior levels was always going to be tough to continue with his direct playing style. He was considering a move to the Australian bobsled team I hear, but is he still risking pulling a hammy?

S

Spook

NTA said:
South Africans have long memories boys. Like QLDers for that sort of thing :fishing:

In any case - damn shame for the 'bone, but his brilliance at the junior levels was always going to be tough to continue with his direct playing style. He was considering a move to the Australian bobsled team I hear, but is he still risking pulling a hammy?

Not just a hammy, a quad, a knee, a finger. Rattles was just not cut out for pro rugby. Once he lost his pace and power, there wasn't enough left in his game.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Pity but the writing has to be on the wall. He would have had a great career.

Bigger pity is the pathetic comments all round in this thread.

Bit I guess as you would form your opinions of Saffers on Bakkies and Paarl, most Saffers think Aussies behave like Warney, look like David Boon, binge drink from the age of 12, glass their girlfriends when drunk and piss in public after a nigh out, so I guess everyone's guilty of stereotyping. :fishing

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Blue said:

Bit I guess as you would for your opinions of Saffers on Bakkies and Paarl, most Saffers think Aussies behave like Warney, look like David Boon, binge drink from the age of 12, glass their girlfriends when drunk and piss in public after a nigh out, so I guess everyone's guilty of stereotyping. :fishing

PS as for South Africans reactions to Clyde leaving SA? Pathetic.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Blue said:

Bit I guess as you would form your opinions of Saffers on Bakkies and Paarl, most Saffers think Aussies behave like Warney, look like David Boon, binge drink from the age of 12, glass their girlfriends when drunk and piss in public after a nigh out, so I guess everyone's guilty of stereotyping. :fishing

Exactly Blue.

Good old PB has a different view on toughness and fair play than most of us, (justifies schoolboy biting and gouging and abusing of refs :fishing) so of course he is going to be harsh on a traitor to his beloved country. Doesnt mean we should go down TSF route and stereotype the whole country as the result of one opinion.

P

PhucNgo

the gambler said:
Blue said:

I didn't like the glassing business (I think this was imported from the UK by boganballers), but the rest was pretty fair I thought.

Exactly Blue.

Good old PB has a different view on toughness and fair play than most of us, (justifies schoolboy biting and gouging and abusing of refs :fishing) so of course he is going to be harsh on a traitor to his beloved country. Doesnt mean we should go down TSF route and stereotype the whole country as the result of one opinion.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:

Your :fishing! I bite, but just for fun :). Please confine this debate to rugby matters and keep your kitchen sink where it belongs. If you want to debate the overall merits of Australian and South Africans sportsmen's behaviour, please start a thread on Everything Else and I'll accommodate you. I'll see your Warney and raise you a Hanse Cronje. :)

Cheers, Mate.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Biffo said:
Blue said:

Your :fishing! I bite, but just for fun :). Please confine this debate to rugby matters and keep your kitchen sink where it belongs. If you want to debate the overall merits of Australian and South Africans sportsmen's behaviour, please start a thread on Everything Else and I'll accommodate you. I'll see your Warney and raise you a Hanse Cronje. :)

Cheers, Mate.

Who is Hanse?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:

Cheers, Mate.

Who is Hanse?

Didn't you have a cricket captain (may he RIP) who played more than footsies with some bookmakers?

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Blue said:
most Saffers think Aussies behave like Warney, look like David Boon, binge drink from the age of 12, glass their girlfriends when drunk and piss in public after a nigh out, so I guess everyone's guilty of stereotyping. :fishing

They're not far off the mark (bar the whole glassing the missus bit)....

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ok, OK, OK I'll take this one on the chin. RattleBones aint that bad and sorry if I upset you lot specially Spokie. Thing is with RattleBones is that he made up his mind but maybe did it a bit the KP way and that bit upset us.

So sorry if he open up some wounds here, do have to show respect to the Xpats like Blue living in the land of milk and honey (my son did the same and living in Wimbledon), and I have to suffer this side.

Good luck to him and just maybe he'll return one day alhoewel Durban is a bit weird for us Boere lot. :nta:

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:

Cheers, Mate.

Who is Hanse?

Didn't you have a cricket captain (may he RIP) who played more than footsies with some bookmakers?

Lol yes Hansie Cronje. I'm being full of shit. Died in a plane crash years after cheating like a bastard with an Indian bookie

Status
Not open for further replies.