• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Possibles vs Probables Friday 3rd August 6.45pm kickoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Also looking forward to seeing how Deegan goes. I assume we will have a second string Wallaby side with most of the big names rested?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This side does not look like it is going to create many real questions.

I think the side may be tweaked as well, Cron on the Fox Sports podcast said Hollaway and Gordon were in the squad as well (?) and that the Tahs tourists in the Wobs squad were not expected to or required to play

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that was announced last week. No Tah players. I'd surprised if Holloway was given a chance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also looking forward to seeing how Deegan goes. I assume we will have a second string Wallaby side with most of the big names rested?

It will be interesting to see who Cheika names.

I expect some big names won't play but it would kind of defeat the point of it if most didn't.

All things being equal, Coleman and Genia would be two guys who might not play but given they finished the season injured they'd be two of the most important to get some game time into.

Pocock is the only guy I'd be wary of playing. He finished the season strongly and isn't short on rugby this year. He's also not really a guy who tends to be "rusty"

I wonder if Hooper will play some minutes?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see who Cheika names.

I expect some big names won't play but it would kind of defeat the point of it if most didn't.

All things being equal, Coleman and Genia would be two guys who might not play but given they finished the season injured they'd be two of the most important to get some game time into.

Pocock is the only guy I'd be wary of playing. He finished the season strongly and isn't short on rugby this year. He's also not really a guy who tends to be "rusty"

I wonder if Hooper will play some minutes?

OK, help me out here

If the need for this game is to get match fitness for key players so they are better prepared for the first Bled, why would they not be getting considerable game time to create said match fitness?

Coleman, Genia and Hooper are in more need, not less match fitness.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
OK, help me out here

If the need for this game is to get match fitness for key players so they are better prepared for the first Bled, why would they not be getting considerable game time to create said match fitness?

Coleman, Genia and Hooper are in more need, not less match fitness.

I said that I think Coleman and Genia will play. They need the game time. My point was that if they had been healthy right through the back end of the season they'd be two players you might not consider risking because they are guaranteed starters and crucial to the team.

Hooper needs game time too after missing more than a month through injury. For him it will depend on whether they consider him ready. He was a strong chance to play if the Waratahs made the Super Rugby final but would there have been some risk there? If there was you would think they wouldn't apply that same risk for a trial game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The stated purpose of the game is to have the Wallabies fit and firing for the first Bledisloe. That can only be achieved if the strongest side available is put on the ground, at least initially. The fact the Tahs players have had two additional games since Super Rugby finished, means they won't be needed or available for this game.

I do expect there will be a lot of chopping and changing of the side during the match though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, what's the best XV the Wallabies can put out minus the Tahs contingent.......... I assume To'omua will be available for this?

1. Sio
2. TPN / Fainga'a
3. Tupou
4. Arnold / Rodda
5. Coleman
6. Tui
7. Pocock
8. Timu
9. Genia / Powell
10. To'omua
11. Korobeite
12. Meakes
13. Hodge
14. DHP
15. Banks

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They haven't named the squad but it didn't seem to be that large. Just seems like there are a few additional players filling in for Waratahs who haven't been there.

Hockings for Simmons
Stewart for Foley
Mason for Beale
Petaia for Rona

I wonder if most of these guys will sit out. Otherwise there'll be proper squad members who won't get to play on Friday.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No room for Tom Cusack or Ben Alexander?

Not with Samu and Ala'alatoa ahead of them. :p

But seriously, with TPN, Latu and Uelese unavailable Fainga'a would have to be the top pick on form................

Obviously BPA was the first choice during the Irish series, but he hasn't been playing that well of late, and his lineout throwing has been incredibly bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.