• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas v Wallabies, Rosario, 5th October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Tomane, 4 line breaks, 18 possesions, 1 try assist, 168 metres run...
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 0 line breaks, 9 possesions, 0 off loads, 1 try, 47 metres run...

Easy to see who was looking for work...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
what I liked about Tomane is he makes decisions quickly and commits, like when he pick the far corner and out paced the pumas full back to the line, he didn’t choose to role or step the FB just choose to burn him and wasted no time... So he scored... how many times in the past have we seen a wallaby make a line break then hesitate on what to do and fail to score... way to many...

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a must in the Austraian backline wherever he plays. He's the most consistent player Australia has, he makes little errors and does the basics very well with good decision making, a foil to the other erratic players - Australia's Conrad Smith.

No where near as good as Conrad. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has a very low error rate and defends very well but I have to disagree with his decision making. Too many times I have seen him tuck the ball under his arms and run at the opposition when their are players in space outside him. Also he cant pass left to right very well. I think he may be forced to the bench at some stage.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Tomane, 4 line breaks, 18 possesions, 1 try assist, 168 metres run.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 0 line breaks, 9 possesions, 0 off loads, 1 try, 47 metres run.

Easy to see who was looking for work.

Surely he had two try assists. The first try to folau and the last try to Foley. He should've had three but Hooper dropped what looked an easy pass with the line beckoning.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree that Tomane had the better game, but he needs to be consistent before he can be considered above any of the current wallabies wingers (bar Betham).

With AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), you know you're going to get a solid attacking and defending player who can be anywhere in the line and will still be just as good,

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Tomane, 4 line breaks, 18 possesions, 1 try assist, 168 metres run.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 0 line breaks, 9 possesions, 0 off loads, 1 try, 47 metres run.

Easy to see who was looking for work.

Great, you missed the point. CONSISTENCY. Never a bad game etc.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
what I liked about Tomane is he makes decisions quickly and commits, like when he pick the far corner and out paced the pumas full back to the line, he didn’t choose to role or step the FB just choose to burn him and wasted no time. So he scored. how many times in the past have we seen a wallaby make a line break then hesitate on what to do and fail to score. way to many.
His decision making in defence is his issue. He too often commits and just gets passed around so far, against the ABs that is a hangable offence

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
missed the point old and lazy.

Without doubt Tomane had a far superior game than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in this test match but part of that 'looking for work' thing you were talking about is surely the difference in job description between the two wing positions in the way we utilise them.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
No where near as good as Conrad. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has a very low error rate and defends very well but I have to disagree with his decision making. Too many times I have seen him tuck the ball under his arms and run at the opposition when their are players in space outside him. Also he cant pass left to right very well. I think he may be forced to the bench at some stage.

totally agree with this statement seb... he just doesnt find a way... Wallabies need players that challenge the opposition AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesnt, but yes he can tackle (so !! we need more from him)... he takes no risks and makes no mistakes and gets tackled everytime easily by quality outside backs...

I would point out I think he is more conscience of not making mistakes and his player stats than trying to win a game of rugby... 80+ tests and milking it I say... time for new blood...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Without doubt Tomane had a far superior game than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in this test match but part of that 'looking for work' thing you were talking about is surely the difference in job description between the two wing positions in the way we utilise them.
I think youre looking fior excuses... AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a good game by his standards I would say, but just not proactive enough to make a difference on filed... Hey I just think he can do better thats all... AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s best games was when he played outside Mortlock, when Striling did all the work and off loaded to him for tries...

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mudskipper, we all have players we don't like and it's looking like you dislike AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). While that's fine and all, the reasoning you're giving isn't great, especially given AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s consistent work over his 7(?) years for the Wallabies.

He's really stood up and given us a rock in the backline, the term AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)-syndrome describes an average super player doing brilliantly for the wallabies because he is just good in the G&G.

That said, he does occasionally go into black hole mode and refuse to pass, but that's the only fault I feel justified with giving him. On saturday, Tomane was better. Overall, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is. One day that might change, and hopefully because Tomane is a Campo-Roff-Tune combination, not because AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) becomes a poor player.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Mudskipper, we all have players we don't like and it's looking like you dislike AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). While that's fine and all, the reasoning you're giving isn't great, especially given AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s consistent work over his 7(?) years for the Wallabies.

He's really stood up and given us a rock in the backline, the term AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)-syndrome describes an average super player doing brilliantly for the wallabies because he is just good in the G&G.

That said, he does occasionally go into black hole mode and refuse to pass, but that's the only fault I feel justified with giving him. On saturday, Tomane was better. Overall, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is. One day that might change, and hopefully because Tomane is a Campo-Roff-Tune combination, not because AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) becomes a poor player.

My AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) comments arent about undermining his history as a valuable 80 game wallably... I respect that achievement...

For the record I like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but he isnt doing enough on field currently... I believe he can offer more impact... its nothing personal... the last 7 years as a Wallaby are credit to him but also date him too, as time does to us all...

A few hear at G&G are just talking up AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on past, not present day G&G performances... I look forward to seeing him be more proactive against the All Blacks next week... He's played the game long enough to know when to take an opportunity surely...

the Bench worked wonders for Genia, when Speight arrives the back 3 will be pressed for starting spots... Do you really think Link will change a combo which is finally working...

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
My AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) comments arent about undermining his history as a valuable 80 game wallably. I respect that achievement.

For the record I like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but he isnt doing enough on field currently. I believe he can offer more impact. its nothing personal. the last 7 years as a Wallaby are credit to him but also date him too, as time does to us all.

A few hear at G&G are just talking up AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on past, not present day G&G performances. I look forward to seeing him be more proactive against the All Blacks next week. He's played the game long enough to know when to take an opportunity surely.

the Bench worked wonders for Genia, when Speight arrives the back 3 will be pressed for starting spots. Do you really think Link will change a combo which is finally working.

I think you'll find that people are acutely aware of how well Tomane has played in every other game for the Wallabies to date, outside of the last Argies Test. Not to mention Tomane's form for the Brumbies at the end of the season that saw White choose Rathbone to start, leaving Tomane on the bench.

People are supporting a player in AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who has played average to well for the Wallabies and his club side this year. In contrast, Tomane has been up and down, at best. For the Wallabies, apart from his last breakout game, he has been (very) down, including an appalling performance vs the Lions.

I think you are very close to alone in your view of Tomane over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

One swallow does not a summer make.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The fact with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is that he is solid. That is all. He will never make a world XV, or even be considered for one. However he would never have a bad game either and will almost always have an average or slightly better then average game.

He has been a rock in the wallabies back-line and has always deserved his place in the team. But going forward I think its pretty obvious from the comments in this forum that we simply want more. We want players across the park that can create opportunities, just like the good old days of Gregan, Roff, Larkham, Horan, Little, Tune, Burke. With new talent developing we might actually achieve this in the not so distant future.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The fact with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is that he is solid. That is all. He will never make a world XV, or even be considered for one. However he would never have a bad game either and will almost always have an average or slightly better then average game.

I would suggest after the Lions series he would have to have be considered the second best 13 in the world. The dominance of Conrad Smith has been the only thing keeping him out of a World XV.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I think you'll find that people are acutely aware of how well Tomane has played in every other game for the Wallabies to date, outside of the last Argies Test. Not to mention Tomane's form for the Brumbies at the end of the season that saw White choose Rathbone to start, leaving Tomane on the bench.

People are supporting a player in AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who has played average to well for the Wallabies and his club side this year. In contrast, Tomane has been up and down, at best. For the Wallabies, apart from his last breakout game, he has been (very) down, including an appalling performance vs the Lions.

I think you are very close to alone in your view of Tomane over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

One swallow does not a summer make.

After the first swallow comes the migration... I'm happy to be a free thinker here...

Actuallty Tomane had and injury thats why White limited his game time at the end of the season... Jake White also wanted Rathbones big game experience...

Tomane is a developing international player there is no doubt about that... with Tevita Kuridrani also developing well as an intenational 13 and offering real line punch and defence at 13 its puts a question mark around AACs starting position on the park... With Speight likely coming in on the spring tour wing positions will be hard to win...

Jeez a lot of people here not comfortable about qusestioning AACs current game... sadly not the same loyality about props... lol

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don't underestimate AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s leadership skills either. Wait until Tomane plays two or three more games like the one he played on Sunday before you continue squawking Mudskipper.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think the depth in the back-line is looking pretty good come RWC 2015. I'd expect AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to still be in the mix. Agree that the front row isn't looking promising. Number 8 could be an issue too.

Status
Not open for further replies.