• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas vs Wallabies, 25th July 2015, Mendoza

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I like the side. It gives opportunity to test options, but is still a strong side.

I agree with TWS in regards to Quade, but I can understand that Foley needed to be tested before the All Blacks.

Greg Holmes getting great reward.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I like this team a lot, other than the inclusion of Beale.
Yeah I don't really see the point of including Beale when you already have Cooper. Very similar type of player. I'd have preferred he put Naiyaravora in - could have been handy in the final 20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
The Wallabies have picked a scrummaging prop. Who'd have thought?

Shame he hasn't got Big Kev pushing up his arse.

Still, it's a tighter side with more workers and still solid defensively. Good rotation (for the unforced replacements).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah I don't really see the point of including Beale when you already have Cooper. Very similar type of player. I'd have preferred he put Naiyaravora in - could have been handy in the final 20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The point of including Beale is so there's someone covering wing and fullback whose different to the bloke covering 10/12! AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could cover fullback but he's needed to cover 13 as no-one else can.

Think, people!

EDIT: and Mitchell got a run last week, presumably he and KB (Kurtley Beale) are competing for the same spot.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
The point of including Beale is so there's someone covering wing and fullback whose different to the bloke covering 10/12! AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could cover fullback but he's needed to cover 13 as no-one else can.

Think, people!
Yeah I get that, but Cooper realistically covers Full back and could move to the wing if need be too, and again, they're very similar players - both like to shirk the tough stuff too, which worries me.

Teqele would be more limited, but at the same time potentially have more impact from the bench. I know he's buggering off the Scotland, but would have been interesting to see how he went

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Like that team. There is some mongrel in the pack and harder, straighter runners in the backs. The bench is as strong as I can remember a Wallaby team. That's a good sign.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
i think horwill answered the question that chieka would have been looking to sort out - can kev regain form and contribute to the game plan. the definitive answer last week gives chieka the opportunity to look at another option.

i like this team, but i like what looks like some smarter coaching behind it,

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I suspect this team is all about giving game time to some and experimenting with others. I like it because its still strong and will answer a lot of questions:

Beale is there for game time and hopefully can play his way out of contention for the world cup.

Foley V Cooper - the better performer will start for the AB's.

I suspect the same with either Poey V Hooper and Mumm V Horwill.

Skelton will need to lift otherwise we'd probably see a change there too.

We should know our strongest 31 squad by next week, if not definitely by the end of the Championship.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So last week we started with an "excess" of X-factor and had bench for a B plan that tightened things up.

Is this week a starting solid team, and a B Plan that ups the "unpredictability"? If so I'm guessing Mumm on for Skelton and Pocock to 8 again

Hoping we get to see Phipps/Cooper/To'omua for a bit, and with Beale at FB. Especially if Folau moves to 11. Pretty sure that we can expect the reserves to be playing, not just covering injury.

As for last week, players are not simply being rewarded because Cheika thinks they are the best, but because Cheika and Larkham are testing game plans.

It's also interesting that the possible "insane play-making back line" is being tempered. We are not seeing Cooper-Gitaue-Beale at the same time. They are working on the best shape to the "unpredictability" back line.

Telling point for the game plan will be whether Pocock/Fardy are playing in the train-lines or in tighter at the action.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah I get that, but Cooper realistically covers Full back and could move to the wing if need be too, and again, they're very similar players - both like to shirk the tough stuff too, which worries me.

Teqele would be more limited, but at the same time potentially have more impact from the bench. I know he's buggering off the Scotland, but would have been interesting to see how he went
Yeah, I was taking the piss a bit.

Taquele isn't there so realistically the #23 was really out of Beale, Cummins and Mitchell. The Badger is just too limited for a benchie and Mitchell had his turn last week. I think that's all it really came down to, KB (Kurtley Beale) has his opportunity to show something this week.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The back row is interesting in that of the three McCalman is the noted ball runner, and he is even lesser in that department of himself, Hooper and Higgers. Neither of the latter are starting.

So, in attack we'd probably expect Fardy to be shouldered with some of the tighter responsibility you'd expect from a lock, allowing Skelton to play a looser game.

Just possibly?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
McCalman is a different ball runner, less width, more direct, as is Pocock

I expect a more direct approach

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
i think horwill answered the question that chieka would have been looking to sort out - can kev regain form and contribute to the game plan. the definitive answer last week gives chieka the opportunity to look at another option.

i like this team, but i like what looks like some smarter coaching behind it,

I fully expected Kev to lift significantly at Wallaby level this year(last year in oz, away from dysfunctional Reds, weight of the world on his shoulders lifted). Mainly because of the type of guy he is and the type of guy Chieka is. Both extremely passionate and proud blokes.... Chieka will know exactly how to get the best out of him. I think Kev will play a hugely significant part in the Wallabies RWC campaign if he doesn't get stooged for Mumm or Douglas.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I like this team a lot, other than the inclusion of Beale.

I don't mind it. We saw in the Soup semi how much Beale helps Foley out.

Looks like a tight, ball control, team - almost the opposite in intent to what was picked last week. Cooper and Beale on the bench to cut loose if needed.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't mind it. We saw in the Soup semi how much Beale helps Foley out.

Looks like a tight, ball control, team - almost the opposite in intent to what was picked last week. Cooper and Beale on the bench to cut loose if needed.

We saw the Waratahs struggle with Douglas gone at times too. Does this mean that despite not showing it at international level he actually is an exceptional player?

Let's praise Beale for when he does perform. Not for when teams don't perform without him. Many felt Beale's form was down this season already.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
We saw the Waratahs struggle with Douglas gone at times too. Does this mean that despite not showing it at international level he actually is an exceptional player?

Let's praise Beale for when he does perform. Not for when teams don't perform without him. Many felt Beale's form was down this season already.

Jesus Christ. How much do you want to infer from that post, when did I say Beale was exceptional? I'm just talking to what I imagine the thinking was behind his selection. I could be completely wrong of course, maybe he's been picked to see if he can offer something at fullback.

But if we're talking about form being down this season, we really don't have to look any further than Horwill and Genia, even Slipper's form is down on last year. Past performers are being given a chance to show what they've got - I think that's a good thing.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The Wallabies have picked a scrummaging prop. Who'd have thought?

Shame he hasn't got Big Kev pushing up his arse.

Still, it's a tighter side with more workers and still solid defensively. Good rotation (for the unforced replacements).

My thinking is that Cheika is really showing some smarts here. He is putting Holmes at tight head prop in place of Kepu to more have a look at Skelton's scrumming impact. If Holmes struggles then it would suggest that the problem is not the THP (Kepu or Holmes), but Skelton failing to support the prop. Also that Horwell is a better scrum lock, as his side held up against the Springbok.
As for Mumm. Better ask his dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.