• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas vs Wallabies, 25th July 2015, Mendoza

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
A few thoughts:-

- until last week I was totally opposed to the idea of selecting Hooper and Pocock in the same team, but it's hard to deny how much of an impact both have on the game when they're on the field. I still think the best approach is the start one of them on the bench and play the final 30 minutes with both on the field. IMO first half test rugby is in large part about physicality and the defense is generally more staunch. The means you need some genuine big ball carriers. In the second half defenders dont rush up as much and teams tend to be slightly less physical. In my view the approach should be to have Pocock and Hooper both on the field for the final 30 minutes of every game. Personally I would start Pocock as I believe he is more important in terms of our ruck work. Inject Hooper into the game in the final 30 and let him go ape shit.

I agree with that, but I think Pocock showed himself to be a more effective ball carrier than both Fardy AND Higgers in his time on the ground.

I think now the only reasonable explanation not to play Hooper-Pocock is the lineout.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
o_O

Well, this is... awkward...
She's Beautiful..

Workhorse-300x168.jpg

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

I agree with that, but I think Pocock showed himself to be a more effective ball carrier than both Fardy AND Higgers in his time on the ground.

I think now the only reasonable explanation not to play Hooper-Pocock is the lineout.

Because he came into the game when he did. Had he started you might think differently.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Agree with wamberal there - the circumstances of the game had changed there due to a number of factors, not least of which is the speed of our ball got better, so the effectiveness of the Bok defence wasn't as good. They had also made some subs which limited their effect at the breakdown.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yeah, Hooper & Pocock won't/can't start if Skelton is to start as well

We need those three jumpers

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Like a few others I'm coming around to the idea of the two opensides on the park. It was absolutely the right call to try it out against the Boks. If it didn't work there then we'd shelve it right away. The thing is though, it did work and rather well. The lift in intensity we got when Pocock came on can't be ignored and we should persist with it this week too. If it works again then that could well be how we roll in the RWC and I'd be OK with that.

I still worry about our lineout in that situation, especially with Skelton at lock. I think Cheika will have to decide what's more important: Will's impact in general play, an effective lineout or Pocock/Hooper causing mayhem at the breakdown and the wider channels.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I'm pretty amazed at the inferences people draw from what happens in the second half when the subs come on.

How many times have people like Beale and Hbum come on to rip a tiring side a new one? They then get plenty of support here to be included in the first XV, only to consistently disappoint when that happens.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm pretty amazed at the inferences people draw from what happens in the second half when the subs come on.

How many times have people like Beale and Hbum come on to rip a tiring side a new one? They then get plenty of support here to be included in the first XV, only to consistently disappoint when that happens.

This is Pocock we are talking about though. It needs to be tested again, this time as a starting combo.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I think the Hooper/Pocock combination worked great, and provided a lift in intensity, but I'd like to continue to see it as an option used at about the 50th minute. Sometimes the better player can be better served coming from the bench. He may make the team 3 points better if he starts and plays 80, but 7 points better if he comes on fresh when players are tired and there's more opportunity to make an impact. Similarly, I think Skelton is useful in "softening" the opposition defense early in the game, as it's always going to take a bit of gas to bring him down.

Like a great distance runner, keep with the opposition for the first 2/3rds of the match, then blow them out of the water with our turn of pace at the end.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

I agree and that is where Skelton is relevant. I think he is more useful early in the game because of his physicality but his selection means that you can't choose pooper for line out reasons

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also, according to the SMH...........

If Pocock is fit he'll start at 8.

Holmes starting at TH.

Phipps, Foley and To'omua at 9, 10 and 12 respectively.

BigSteve

Herbert Moran (7)
From the video on the ARU youtube channel looks like what slim said is correct, with Joe Tomane training with that backline also.

Skelton also looked to be training with the likely starting side.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh yeah, forgot to mention Tomane too...........

It should be a much better functioning backline, although I think Cooper/To'omua might make for a better balance.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I don't see much wrong with the Foley To'omua balance. Both play directly. Both are good with ball in hand. Both can set up their outside supports. There won't be many long passes, but through the hands works too. A simpler game. Should be a good day with space for the outside backs.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm thinking that the starting backline will be
Phipps
Foley
To'omua
TK
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Mitchell
Folua
With bench of
White
Cooper

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Based on the Suncorp bench I think he'll go with Lealiifano over Cooper and either Beale or Cummins as the 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.