• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas vs Wallabies - Sunday 9th October @ Twickenham

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Pumas will be confident. Took a brilliant start from us to beat them last time. I reckon that the pumas will get up by 5 points or less

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Pumas will be confident. Took a brilliant start from us to beat them last time. I reckon that the pumas will get up by 5 points or less

I would like to see Cheika take a couple of back line risks at the selection table:

Sio, Moore, Kepu, Coleman, Douglas, Fardy, Hooper, Timani, Genia, Cooper, Speight, Hodge, Folau, Naivalu, DHP

RES: Hanson, Slipper, Robertson, Arnold, Houston/Reid/McCalman, Phipps, Hodge, Kuridrani

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The team I'd put on the field.

1. Sio
2. Moore (c)
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Coleman
6. Fardy
7. Hooper (vc)
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Quade
11. Hodge
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. Slipper
17. Hanson (to actually be used this time and subbed on at the 55min mark)
18. Ala'alatoa (Not sure if hes fit yet but Robertson is too small for this level)
19. Arnold
20. Mumm (begrudgingly. If Sean was fit or we had Dempsey I would put them here)
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. Naivalu

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Th
I would like to see Cheika take a couple of back line risks at the selection table:

Sio, Moore, Kepu, Coleman, Douglas, Fardy, Hooper, Timani, Genia, Cooper, Speight, Hodge, Folau, Naivalu, DHP

RES: Hanson, Slipper, Robertson, Arnold, Houston/Reid/McCalman, Phipps, Hodge, Kuridrani

The old double Hodge ey?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Do we know what Genia's release conditions are for the two non-window tests yet?

If he's not playing those, I'd have him on the bench for this one, and get some game time in to Phipps

I'd rest Izzy for the next two games - he comes back v Wales and we see if DHP is up to playing 15 at international level.

I'd give Foley the game off too.

Timani gets a run against Argentina who have the least threatening line-out we'll face for a while so we may be able to cover that shortcoming. Ideally I'd give Hooper the rest but don't think we're good enough or have a good enough replacement without him, so the poor bugger plays on

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know this won't be a popular view - but it was my recollection that we won all our own line out ball until Simmons was replaced by Douglas, and then the line out went to custard (as did our scrum - but Slipper didn't have a happy day out, so I'm not sure how much the change of locks contributed).

Does anyone have a breakdown of our lineout stats? Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Reactions: dru

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Referee​
official_95_photo.jpg
Mathieu Raynal (France)

Assistant 1​
official_107_photo.jpg
JP Doyle (England)

Assistant 2​
whistle.png
Matthew Carley (England)

TMO​
whistle.png
Rowan Kitt (England)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It will be interesting to see what he does at #8. No-one is being flown over to take McMahon's place so it's going to be someone already in the squad, or possibly Leroy Houston as a bolter only because he's going to be just up the road. The latter is the only experienced #8, however both Fardy or Mumm could easily start there as well.

I reckon it will be:
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Mumm

20. Timani

Not something I'd like to see going forward, but for this game, sure. There's no openside cover though, so hopefully Hooper doesn't get a rare injury early in the game.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

1. Sio

2. Moore (c)

3. Kepu

4. Douglas

5. Coleman

6. Fardy

7. Hooper (vc)

8. Timani

9. Genia

10. Quade

11. Hodge

12. Kerevi

13. Kuridrani

14. DHP

15. Folau

16. Slipper

18. Ala'alatoa (Not sure if hes fit yet but Robertson is too small for this level)

19. Arnold

20. Mumm (begrudgingly. If Sean was fit or we had Dempsey I would put them here)

21. Phipps

22. Foley

23. Naivalu

The arguments around size are just such a c rock. Robertson is technically better than Ala'alatoa who has about 10 Kgs on him. At the Tahs Ta'avoa was the starting THP and despite being about the same size as Ala'alatoa was a shite prop at the set piece. On the weekend the issues after the subs also weren't on the TH side they were Slipper's binding.

As for the backline Folau to 13, Kurindrani to stay on the bench, Naivalu to wing and DHP to 15.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Too small props isn't a big thing anymore I reckon.

With the Monster tightheads to take and produce the hit no longer required, a few smaller tightheads are picking up.

At the moment, I'd say WP Nel is exactly the kind of player Robertson should be modeling himself after, who is no more than 2cm taller than him, but is among the best international tightheads.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

1. Sio
2. Moore (c)
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Coleman
6. Fardy
7. Hooper (vc)
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Quade
11. Hodge
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. Slipper
19. Arnold
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. Naivalu

Exactly how I see it as well, Michael. I'd prefer someone to Mumm, but if selecting from the touring squad, then there is no-one else. But there might be a chance that Houston could be released from Bath for this match. If so, then Houston on the bench for Mumm.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Love the GIF, Pfitzy.

That didn't go down well, perhaps I'm wrong on this.

He just seemed to be dominated at scrum time, but Slipper had it worse so size can't be everything.

Do you think he's markedly a better option than Allan?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Houston will be match fit and seems to go very well against these NH types. Maybe on the bench this week to back up Timani starting? He really plays a typical 8 man game. Might be good for us to simplify the roles of our backrowers and get back to what they are supposed to be doing
Allan A. has gone very well at TH every time he has come on so far this year. Our finishing scrum has been dominating until last week. If we have a pot plant at TH that we can anchor the scrum on then I assume it makes the LH props job a little easier. AA has also gone very well in general play. If fit he should be there but It's great to see some competition for prop spots after a long time in the wilderness for Wallaby front rows.
The decision to replace our front rowers last week may have just cost us the game. Were they really that buggered or was it a pre-determined decision to sub them at that point? Kepu is going from strength to strength and Sio had easily his best test of the year.:)

autocorrect:mad:

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
slipper hasnt looked to be in top form and robertson is only a couple in. moore played 80. which one is the problem in the front row?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Love the GIF, Pfitzy.

That didn't go down well, perhaps I'm wrong on this.

He just seemed to be dominated at scrum time, but Slipper had it worse so size can't be everything.

Do you think he's markedly a better option than Allan?

I think its hard to judge rookies in their first Test year.

However I think Super form has to count for a lot and Robertson shows good signs for a young bloke. Very comfortable coming up against seasoned pros, and didn't look out of place against the Argies - though it was their replacement front row.

My main beef, when it comes to scrum time (or pretty much any area of rugby), is people talking about size. While AAA has a couple of cm and about 12kg over Robertson, it is never about the quantity, but the quality. Particularly at scrum time.

Size of dog-in-fight versus fight-in-dog and all that.

Both have bright futures if they can - most importantly - apply themselves in the top two inches.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
The difference between the replacement front row's performance last weekend compared to the previous weeks is simple - TPN, clearly the best scrummaging hooker in Aus at this moment by as big a distance as you like.

Personally I would persevere with Robbo, but don't have a problem with AA either, although tend to think long term he might be a LHP. As other here have said, however, we should be bringing Hanson on at about 55m.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd like to see a few little changes:

15 Folau
14 DHP
13 Kerevi
12 Foley
11 Naivalu
10 Cooper
9 Genia
8 Timani