• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas vs Wallabies - Sunday 9th October @ Twickenham

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I actually don't care who gets picked as long as we put together a nice win and show some progress! That said, I'd like to see some positional tweaks at some stage (e.g. Folau to 13, DHP to 15), but I understand this week might not be the time to do it. I'd also like to see some players rested but again it's hard to see when is the opportune time for that - after this game we have the Bledisloe and then we embark on a 5 match Grand Slam tour. Probably the only prospect of players being given a decent rest is if Cheika decides that it's in the best interest of both the team and the individual player(s) to leave them at home for the tour.

Wallabies by 13

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Folau needs a rest and/or a shift to the bench as he is out of form. Kafe regards him as an impact player, let him provide that off the bench then for a game.

1. Sio 2. Moore 3. Kepu
4. Coleman 5. Douglas
6. Fardy 8. Timani 7. Hooper
9. Genia 10. Quade 12. Foley 13. Kerevi
11. Hodge 15. DHP 14. Naivalu

16. Hanson 17. Slipper 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Arnold 20. Mumm 21. Houston 22. Phipps 23. Folau

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I still can't work out why some people are clamouring for Folau to go to 13. Nothing about his play currently screams confidence, and I'm sceptical he'll be up to the defensive structures there. Running there in attack sometimes does not the complete package make. Kerevi and Kuridrani look like just fine options to me.
In any event, get the forwards executing more accurately first would be the go.
^^^@upthereds#! pack looks good to me. Just apply several rockets up the arse!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still can't work out why some people are clamouring for Folau to go to 13. Nothing about his play currently screams confidence, and I'm sceptical he'll be up to the defensive structures there. Running there in attack sometimes does not the complete package make. Kerevi and Kuridrani look like just fine options to me.
In any event, get the forwards executing more accurately first would be the go.
^^^@upthereds#! pack looks good to me. Just apply several rockets up the arse!

Folau was the best 13 in the country throughout super rugby this season by miles. He does two things far better than the other options, he beats defenders and then passes the ball intelligently.

But in this side, with it's multitudes of lazy, feckless units, there would be no one there to catch the ball :(

Workrate is the issue, there needs to be units prepared to run support lines

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Shifting Folau to the bench seems like a good option to me.

He's out of form but still looks threatening from time to time.

He needs to reduce the errors he is making, particularly getting held up in the tackle.

Given a new task of making an impact off the bench as a finisher could be good for him to focus his impacts and sort out his execution.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Folau was the best 13 in the country throughout super rugby this season by miles. He does two things far better than the other options, he beats defenders and then passes the ball intelligently.

But in this side, with it's multitudes of lazy, feckless units, there would be no one there to catch the ball :(

Workrate is the issue, there needs to be units prepared to run support lines

I wouldn't say by miles. Kerevi is also great at beating defenders and passing the ball intelligently (he passes better then Folau). And unlike Folau who dropped back to fullback every chance he got, Kerevi defended in the line.

I wouldn't even say Folau played 13, he played a hybrid 13/fullback role for the Tahs - which is simply unnecessary and inefficient at test level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Folau's form slump is because he is planning to go back to the NRL? Source?

Or is it just a form slump like every other player goes through at some point?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I know this won't be a popular view - but it was my recollection that we won all our own line out ball until Simmons was replaced by Douglas, and then the line out went to custard (as did our scrum - but Slipper didn't have a happy day out, so I'm not sure how much the change of locks contributed).

Does anyone have a breakdown of our lineout stats? Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

I thought so too, but on re-watching nope. At least one line out loss against the throw with Simmo on the field.

Reactions: TSR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But the slump has been protracted.

How he gets out of it, maybe Chek knows

It is for less than a season.

His form was outstanding through Super Rugby and generally good in the series against England.

Realistically he has played a handful of average tests followed by a couple of poor tests.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Most people seem to be in agreement on most selections and it is only a few up in the air in the backs which I think is a good thing. We are close to settling on the best team. Moore has also seemingly found form so people have stopped calling for his head.

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Cooper
16. Hanson
17. Slipper
18. Robinson
19. Arnold
20. Houston
21. Mumm
22. Phipps
23. ?

So only really 6 positions (11-15 + 23) undecided and to be chosen from a selection of 8 players (Foley, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Folau, DHP, Hodge, Naivalu and Speight).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It is for less than a season.

His form was outstanding through Super Rugby and generally good in the series against England.

Realistically he has played a handful of average tests followed by a couple of poor tests.

This kind of stands out when most of the team had a couple of poor tests followed by a couple of average tests. World of difference there.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Most people seem to be in agreement on most selections and it is only a few up in the air in the backs which I think is a good thing. We are close to settling on the best team. Moore has also seemingly found form so people have stopped calling for his head.

That's 3 changes already

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Cooper
16. Hanson
17. Slipper
18. Robinson
19. Arnold
20. Houston
21. Mumm
22. Phipps
23. ?

So only really 6 positions (11-15 + 23) undecided and to be chosen from a selection of 8 players (Foley, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Folau, DHP, Hodge, Naivalu and Speight).

So that's 3 changes already without the 11-15 spots.

Chek being Chek he will likely stay with the same as last week.

I have my own opinion but Chek is the coach and sees all so I have decided to get on board with TGO, this week, at least.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thinking about the side for next weekend, I won't be at all surprised if Timani misses the starting side again in favour of Houston, because:

1. Houston is arguably a favourite of Cheika's as he (Cheika) worked to bring Houston back into rugby in Aus;

2. Timani has been playing lock for the past couple of years while all of Houston's recent game time has been at No 8;

3. Houston has been playing at top level in recent days so will be game fit - Timani hasn't had a full game for some time - there will be questions about his match fitness.

4. Timani offers more versatility off the bench.

So, all things considered, I think Cheika will be sorely tempted to start Houston at 8 and have Lopeti on the bench. Either way, I hope it is the last we see of Dean Mumm in the starting side.

The next big problem will be who covers for Hooper at 7 if he's injured. I don't see anyone really capable of playing 7 in the squad.

I do not subscribe to the view that Folau should be dropped to the bench or altogether. He is not playing to the standards he was last year and earlier this year, but he's still one of the best attacking players in a fairly mediocre Wallabies' backline. Move him to wing if necessary and play DHP at 15, but even then I think it would only be temporary.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I do not subscribe to the view that Folau should be dropped to the bench or altogether. He is not playing to the standards he was last year and earlier this year, but he's still one of the best attacking players in a fairly mediocre Wallabies' backline. Move him to wing if necessary and play DHP at 15, but even then I think it would only be temporary.

He wasn't even playing well last year (for the Wobs). KB (Kurtley Beale) should've started at fullback against the AB's based on form.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Cooper
16. Hanson
17. Slipper
18. Robinson
19. Arnold
20. Houston
21. Mumm
22. Phipps
23. ?

I will literally never stop calling for Moore's head.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the biggest reason why Cheika might be hesitant to start Timani is his work at the back of the scrum. That said I would pick him this weekend with Houston on the bench as cover.

Fardy should start ahead of Mumm who hasn't done enough in the last two starts to warrant staying ahead of Fardy.

I would play a 6:2 bench this weekend with Phipps and Folau as the reserve backs. DHP to fullback and Naivalu to start on the wing.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
This test might be a chance to change a few things up. After a poor test performance, travel factor and "weary bodies", a neutral venue, there may be enough reasons to justify it.

In saying that I don't see Folau being moved to centre. Cheika seemed pretty definitive (for better or worst) about him not being a test centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.