• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas vs Wallabies - Sunday 9th October @ Twickenham

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The ball can hit the posts in an unsuccessful penalty attempt and turn into a rolled gold try scoring opportunity.

T

Train Without a Station

So Wamberal if I have interpreted this correctly, you are saying:

That whilst Argentina missed 3 shots (2 penalties and a conversion) they haven't necessarily left 8 points on the field. As if each penalty shot had hit the post, been collected and scored under the posts, they have potentially left up to 16 points on the field as a result of kicking accuracy!?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
No what Wamberal & Pfitzy are saying is that if he kicked the first one then the restart would have been a kick off from the half way instead of a 22 drop out and the whole shape of the remaining 75 minutes (or whatever) would have been completely different, so they may not have even had an opportunity for the other 5 missed points. We may have won by 50. Or they may have beaten us. We'll never know.

Sliding doors..

EDIT: the first one was actually the conversion so the restart would have been the same. However the ball would have been retrieved from a different spot so it wouldn't have been exactly the same from that point on. You get the gist :D

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Amongst all the talk about who is our best 10, who should be 12, the second row merry go round, etc, I reckon our biggest issue is our discipline. There were 2 games v England and one v the boks that we out-tried the opposition but lost because of their boot. Aside from that it really affects our momentum so is a real double whammy.

Fix that and we're easily #2 in the world.

Our discipline lately (read the last year or so) has really pissed me off. I don't know where it's coming from but it's piss poor and costing us more games than it's winning.

I get the feeling that it is by choice/design and we are trying to be more confrontational but we are just coming across as a bunch of guys who are trying to win the fight because we are struggling to win the game.

All through my playing days and now as a spectator, I've held that the best approach to the game is playing with a halo on your head. What we are doing just smacks of a bunch of guys who don't think their Rugby ability is enough to win matches. /rant

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Conversion successful or not doesn't make any difference where a ball's retrieved from, the ball boys put a replacement ball on the centre line for the next phase of play. Missed or not conversions don't affect the flow of subsequent play one iota, penalties do.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think our discipline is a concern, like many here. Test matches are hard enough to win without giving points away. Now granted those cards were a little soft, but nevertheless if you don't whack a guy around the chops you remove the opportunity to give any points away. I like the intent to be more physical and confrontational, but at times we're letting the enthusiasm to smash blokes get in the way of skill execution. I'd like to think that Cheika and co are working on that. When the Tahs were at their best under Cheika they played a hard, fast and direct style of footy with a high amount of skill to go with it, hopefully we can emulate that at test level and stay on the right side of refs.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Our discipline lately (read the last year or so) has really pissed me off. I don't know where it's coming from but it's piss poor and costing us more games than it's winning.

I get the feeling that it is by choice/design and we are trying to be more confrontational but we are just coming across as a bunch of guys who are trying to win the fight because we are struggling to win the game.

All through my playing days and now as a spectator, I've held that the best approach to the game is playing with a halo on your head. What we are doing just smacks of a bunch of guys who don't think their Rugby ability is enough to win matches. /rant

I have a feeling like Cheika's influence around aggression is rubbing off on the players the wrong way. Cheika always wants to instil the "never take a backwards step" mentality - fair enough.

But our players seem to take it the wrong way and forget that it needs to be controlled aggression. Aggression should not compromise discipline. Moore running into every niggle a prime example.

We really are missing strong leaders on the field in this regard, you'd imagine John Eales' worth coming into the fold in a matter like this.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Conversion successful or not doesn't make any difference where a ball's retrieved from, the ball boys put a replacement ball on the centre line for the next phase of play. Missed or not conversions don't affect the flow of subsequent play one iota, penalties do.

OK I'm not going to argue that point because it's petty and I agree by and large and when I wrote the comment I had in my mind that the first miss was a penalty attempt (as per my edited comment).

HOWEVER! Foley may have arrived at the centre a few seconds earlier or later due to a slightly different trajectory when attempting the charge down, and subsequently struck the kick off differently, etc, etc :D. But we'll never know!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
To the fans who felt a need to rant at Quade when he "earned" his 6th international yellow, I wait with interest for your balance in discussing the same issue with Hooper.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
With all this chat on the back row. Thoughts of a back row consisting of McMahon 6, Hooper 7 and Pocock 8 (when they are all fit of course). If done well it could be entertaining and a huge huge threat to any team.

Except that they are all short and we would get destroyed in the most important set piece, the lineout, and it certainly would not help our scrum either.
It just cannot work. The old adage that a good big man will almost always beat a good small man stands true. There is rarely room for two shorties in a back row and pretty much never room enough for three, in test rugby anyway.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Hoopers ability to play both and tighter and looser, both very effectively, for 80 minutes combined with his durability make him one of the best assets the wallabies have. Puts the calls for him to be dropped at the start of the season in perspective.
Why?
He's still the 2nd best 7 in Australia regardless of his versatility.
Which means those who don't support the two 7s concept and feel it leaves too many deficiencies exposed elsewhere still have justification.
Perhaps more so with Timanis game on the w/e.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
It's not great, but I think people have much higher tolerance for a 7 pushing the boundaries of the laws than a 10.

It's not great but I think tahs supporters have a much higher tolerance for one of their own pushing the boundaries of the laws than a 10 they love to hate..

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Why?
He's still the 2nd best 7 in Australia regardless of his versatility.
Which means those who don't support the two 7s concept and feel it leaves too many deficiencies exposed elsewhere still have justification.
Perhaps more so with Timanis game on the w/e.
Hes been the best 7 this year

Status
Not open for further replies.