• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas vs Wallabies - Sunday 9th October @ Twickenham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
He's already been released I believe, and has been playing for Toulon.
He is, but Leroy Houston is playing for Bath and was added to the squad. I'm sure it's having a Super Rugby contract that determines eligibility, rather than having an ARU contract, since players without ARU contacts are sometimes selected.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hmmm - if they do indeed switch the props it'll be very much shades of Kepu & Alexander.

But I guess I'll wait to see if it actually happens before I get too bothered with it.

T

TOCC

He is, but Leroy Houston is playing for Bath and was added to the squad. I'm sure it's having a Super Rugby contract that determines eligibility, rather than having an ARU contract, since players without ARU contacts are sometimes selected.

It's a shifting bar for what determines eligibility, but Liam Gill was released from his contract to head to Europe to take up how Toulon contract early, technically he isn't contracted to australian rugby anymore and doesn't qualify under the 60 cap rule either. It's more a contractural issue now as well, Toulon signed him understanding he wouldn't be released for Test rugby.

In terms of players returning to Austaia, Eddie Jones set the precedence in 2009 when he selected Rocky Elsom who was returning from Europe. It's seen as a reward for players who agree to return to Australia, that they be eligibility the preceding Rugby Championship/EOYT.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Why would Gill be interested? He's been dicked around by the Wallabies for pretty much his entire career. Dragged in to the squad and rarely played. Became the rope in a tug of war between Cheika and Europe at the end of the season. What does he owe the Wallabies?

Unlikely to be offered a starting slot, history suggests in the long run he wont warm the pine either. Who would want to interrupt his club to carry the oranges?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Why would Gill be interested? He's been dicked around by the Wallabies for pretty much his entire career. Dragged in to the squad and rarely played. Became the rope in a tug of war between Cheika and Europe at the end of the season. What does he owe the Wallabies?

Unlikely to be offered a starting slot, history suggests in the long run he wont warm the pine either. Who would want to interrupt his club to carry the oranges?

Or maybe he'd let go of the bitterness and just play for his country, you know his childhood dream at the highest possible level of this career. Pretty sure he'd want to do that.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Its not being bitter, just realistic. There is plenty of history. Cheika has made his bed, now he can sleep in it.

Nothing could be worse for that relationship than Cheika cutting through a change internationally and to place Gill in the stands. Dejuvu again.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Agreed, not with Hooper and Pocock in front of him, he is the "Matt Hodgson" of his generation.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

What an extraordinary question.

He is an Australian who plays rugby. Any one of us who has ever played the game at any level would kill to get the opportunity to have any sort of relationship with our national team. We would be delighted to serve without the slightest question as to who owes whom what.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Hooper got injured at training this week I think the Wallabies would break their policy regarding overseas selections and Gill would be rushed over from France.

I'm not really sure why people think there would be so much animosity between Cheika and Gill. Cheika always maintained Gill was in the reckoning and selected him in various squads.

It was never realistic that he was going to jump past Pocock and Hooper for the 7 jersey when both have shown consistently good form for the Wallabies and had loads of experience. I doubt Gill would have expected he was going to go straight into the Wallaby side.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I really hope slipper hasnt been dropped long term for either Ala'alatoa or Robertson. He had an average outing on the weekend but when compared to most of sios average games this year at test level it seems pretty unfair to drop him after one poor performance off the bench. i think people are quick to forget that after the british and irish lions the only 2 forwards to always play well for the wallabies when we needed them to were Slipper and Hooper. Hes a good scrummager, hes good over the ball and hes great around the field. I will be bitterly dissapointed in Cheika is he is out the the 23 for the long term

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I'd prefer Kurtleys x factor to Quade's xfactor ATM

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Eddie Jones
"There's no doubt Will Genia and Quade Cooper have made the Wallabies play better"
Good to see at least one southerner can see reality through those blue tinted glasses. Some may not like him but he's an astute analyst of the game.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
8 games in 10 weeks to be played by this team.

There will be lots of players rested and others tried over the next couple of months.

Players aren't getting dropped - it's squad members getting a run to see how they go

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I really hope slipper hasnt been dropped long term for either Ala'alatoa or Robertson. He had an average outing on the weekend but when compared to most of sios average games this year at test level it seems pretty unfair to drop him after one poor performance off the bench. i think people are quick to forget that after the british and irish lions the only 2 forwards to always play well for the wallabies when we needed them to were Slipper and Hooper. Hes a good scrummager, hes good over the ball and hes great around the field. I will be bitterly dissapointed in Cheika is he is out the the 23 for the long term

Yeah but our finishing scrum got totally dicked by the Saffers last week and it looked to me that most problems were on the loose head side. The Argies might do the same thing to us again and it could cost us the match. Arguably it cost us the game last week. So what is Cheika to do? He could do nothing and just hope it comes good or he could make a few changes. Its a 50-50 call but its not an outrageous one.

TPN's contribution to the finishing scrum this year might just have been far more important than we thought. Without him it looked pretty ugly.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
. Our starting scrum got dicked the 1st two tests of the rugby championship and Slipper came on and stabilised it. Sio wasnt dropped then. and Robertson was the cause of as many problems as Slips was . It seems absolutely ridiculous to drop one of the best wallaby forwards in the past 5 years because he had a average outing off the bench in one test. In his 80 something tests he would have played well in 70 of them. I want consistency fron cheika not knee-jerk reactions. Again my post above wasnt protesting Slippers dropping this weekend. I have no problem with building prop depth by giving game time to young props. I just dont want this to become a trend.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Wow. I should have added an emoticon ;) to my post re Slipper and the boot. It was meant only as a play on words, not a suggestion or query that James has been dropped long term.

I agree that over the test matches this year, Slipper has generally played better than Sio, so I'm pretty sure that he's either got a niggle or is just being rested after Sio showed something of a return to form last week. At least, I hope that is the case.

More worried about the sides that Robertson and Ala'alatoa are going to play when they come on.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
While on the topic of selections, I admit that I read the tea leaves wrong about Houston starting and Timani on the bench. Now I just hope that they both get a run and that they make the best of their opportunities. The ball is in their courts, so to speak.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
No Isa and both Hollywood Sanchez and Montero need to pass fitness tests. I reckon we'll thump these dudes at Twickers.

15 Joaquín Tuculet
14 Matías Moroni
13 Matías Orlando
12 Santiago González Iglesias
11 Manuel Montero
10 Nicolás Sánchez
9 Martín Landajo
8 Leonardo Senatore
7 Javier Ortega Desio
6 Pablo Matera
5 Matías Alemanno
4 Guido Petti