• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QF1 2012 - Reds vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Do you think Merrow that it is a coincidence that both teams had beaten the Tahs the week before and perhaps then thought they were better than they were? And also it maybe a little justice, so noone can moan about 6th team having home final any longer!
You do realise that Deans maybe quite happy, he will be able to get all Wallabies rested and together early, so always look to bright side.

Just stating a fact Dan, they didn't turn up to play. I'm not whining about either result, it is after all, only a game. I do however get a little tired with those that bang on about the conference system...yes it's crap, but that's the way the system is, and some years it'll work for you, and others against you. Don't look for a fight where there is none.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Harsh on Ioane, predictably carrying the ball strongly in the face of a swarm of sharks is hardly a bad thing, and that try-saving tackle on him in the second half was just superb.

Point fingers at dropped ball, an intercept pass that was the reds death knell, missed tackles. Some bad luck but why would it always go your way?

Simmons needs a long pre-2013-season of toughen-up and embiggening. He has not gone on at all this season.

Fainga'a S was injured fairly early and that accounted for some of his errors.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I thought Digby played a rubbish game. Couldn't get into the game at all.
He was hardly given a chance. Most times when he got the ball the Sharks were onto him. He is most dangerous when he has a chance to get some momentum and the Sharks never gave him the opportunity to do that. Several times he had two Sharks on him when he had the ball.

W

What2040

He was hardly given a chance. Most times when he got the ball the Sharks were onto him. He is most dangerous when he has a chance to get some momentum and the Sharks never gave him the opportunity to do that. Several times he had two Sharks on him when he had the ball.

think EVERY team in the world is onto Digby - he is just predictable - Its only when QC (Quade Cooper)'s unpredictability manifests itself to Digby (and he catches the ball) that he is dynamic

Reactions: ACR

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just stating a fact Dan, they didn't turn up to play. I'm not whining about either result, it is after all, only a game. I do however get a little tired with those that bang on about the conference system.yes it's crap, but that's the way the system is, and some years it'll work for you, and others against you. Don't look for a fight where there is none.
Hey mate I like the Conference system, just saying people can put it to rest for the year and not say Reds are getting advantage etc. I not knocking anything or anyone, all I saying we can realise that if you not good enough you not good enough, so it's not quite as bad as it can be made out.My whole point was I felt in Qld here too many people seemed to think beating the Tahs was almost like winning the finals, but in reality Tahs were actually a very poor team and maybe lulled Reds into a false sense of security.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Hey mate I like the Conference system, just saying people can put it to rest for the year and not say Reds are getting advantage etc. I not knocking anything or anyone, all I saying we can realise that if you not good enough you not good enough, so it's not quite as bad as it can be made out.My whole point was I felt in Qld here too many people seemed to think beating the Tahs was almost like winning the finals, but in reality Tahs were actually a very poor team and maybe lulled Reds into a false sense of security.

My apologies then. A long season of having people rubbish the Brumbies. My bad :)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Just thought I would add my congratulations to the Sharks. The Reds made it hard for themselves with too many dropped balls and missed tackles - but credit to the Sharks who were exactly the opposite. Defence & offloading was fantastic. Best of luck to Sharks supporters for next week.

Despite the disappointment of last night, there were a lot of positives from the season for the Reds, not the least being the re-signing of most of the squad. I expect players like Schatz, Shipperly & Gill to show the benefits next year of so much increased exposure.

W

wallabygold

Am I the only one who knows the laws here? Clarkie, Horan and Kafe should take a look at them. Gill's "try" should've been a penalty to the Sharks yet no one picked up on it. You must be on your feet to play the balll, Gill was never on his feet, he picked the ball up in the middle on the ruck. Clearly no try

The law is quite clear, a ruck or maul cannot occur within the in goal and given it appeared it was in the in goal when Gill played the ball it was a legitimate grounding of the ball. Had it not been the TMO would have advised otherwise and awarded a penalty to the Sharks given he had the opportunity of watching 5 replays.

Red slug

Stan Wickham (3)
Just to state up front if you couldn't tell from the photo I am a crazy mad Reds Fan. Beating the Waratahs is not a sign that we would win the finals, just a matter of pride at any time and the state decline the Tahs have been in for the last 2-3 years is not a good indicator of form for the Reds. Last nights game the Sharks played really well better than I have seen them play for the last 4 or 5 games they deserved the win on the night. The Reds tend to have a great game plan at the start of the game; observing over the season and with all the injuries within games; The Reds don't adapt well to major changes in the play makers. This has become obvious as the 8,9 positions become injury compromised during a game the rest of the team rely heavily on these positions for leadership and when the talk stops the each do their jobs just not cohesively. This maybe an aspect that can be looked at in the off season. But The Reds have played and exposed new players this year to Super Rugby which will again build the base in which great Rugby can be played next year they played well with all the injuries and ridiculous suspensions this year haven't seen comparable or consistent ruling with SANZAR and last but not least 2 refs need to be retired from the Super Rugby comp and yes you knew it was coming as I am a Proud Reds supporter #WE ARE RED

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I thought Digby played a rubbish game. Couldn't get into the game at all.

Digby got smashed around but still made the second most metres and given the traffic he was heading into i thought he did well. The loss of Lucas and with Frisby and Genia in the halves it was just so obvious who was going to get the ball. With Genia sniping and Lucas at 10 taking a defender each things may have been different.

The game plan from the start was poor. A few times in the first 20 bombs were put up when the corners were open and it could have been smarter to play territory. It was clear by this point the Sharks were going all out and were going to run everything and the Reds played into their hands.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well done Sharks. A few random thoughts:
- the Sharks obviously showed intensity from the opening whistle, was this somehow unexpected?
- have the Reds not learnt how to offload in the tackle? Didn't see much (any) of this, especially in the backs.
- the Sharks backline was up quickly, but this should allow creative backs the chance to step around them into space and offload (see point above).
- there were a few wobbly Reds scrums which resulted in unclean or no possession
- just poor ball security at the breakdown, combined with sloppy handling and an opposition pushing you back in the tackle (have Oz teams forgotten how to do this?) and it was never going to be easy.
- i didn't think Genia was that bad at 10, since their second half was better than their first. Frisby got better as the game progressed.
- all the hacks in the weekend Oz were tipping a Reds win.....are they really that myopic (especially with no QC (Quade Cooper))?
- the reffing wasn't great but that wasn't why we lost. How many times were the Reds pinged in their own 22 a few weeks ago against the Highlanders?
- a shame Lucas was injured but is he really a 10? He looked tiny next to Kafe for the pre-match interview.
- this was actually a pretty entertaining game.

J

Jiggles

Just watching the replay again. Gosh Harris takes bad options, if you took away his kicking I don't know how you can justify his position in the team.

W

What2040

am always happy to pick a VERY good goalkicker in the team - and agree if Mike H couldn't kick he would not be in the side

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Digby was a victim of a 3rd string 10 and excellent defense. He got his hands on the ball and often. More than can be said for ships who did little to nothing all game.
Harris is well and truly overrated. Can't fathom how he made the wallabies. I guess it's cause no JOC (James O'Connor) no Beale no cooper etc.
Will be surprised to see him again.
Just awful work at the breakdown by the reds. If they didn't lose the ball there were way too many committed.
Simmons try was a tough call. The ruck initially wasn't in the goal area as was a good meter or two short. So from that perspective a ruck had formed and Simmons played illegally.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
We were out of that game the minute lucas went down. I said before the game we were short of injury cover and unfortunately it was true. I am sure the reds will have better 5/8 cover next year as injuries have really taught them a lesson about depth this year.

Sharks defence was mamoth and their pack played excellently. I was a bit confused by the reds strategy as I thought this game was the perfect time to break out the kicking to the corners to try and force as many line outs as possible as this was the sharks packs only real weakness.

Not much else to say about the reds this year. Injuries and a few poor games stopped them getting a roll on and they are team that grows an extra leg when they get a bit of momentum behind them.

Need to develop a bit in the pack next year, and also nail down the backline combinations before the season starts. Hopefully we see tapuai reclaim the form that got him picked for the wallaby tour.

I'm off to get a feed to try and soak up all the amber ales I imbibed on the pilgrimage up caxton street post game. Always next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.