• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Club Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
Boys ,

Firstly I jumped on to this site because I love its lack of any political correctness. I am sorry if I offended any one.
I am not Jealous of Sunny Bank or any club. I think it is great what Sunny BAnk have done and Uni and I dont care how the have done it. They are spreading the Gospel, go you good things.

I do have issues with some of UQand the Banks recruitment especially of Colts from other clubs. That is a another discussion.

Giving the 2 fingered salute to political correctness and providing an interpretation for our Mexican friends here are the club names spelled out:

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
Part 2

Brothers - the Filth
GPS - MOBs (Marist old boys)
Western Bulldogs - Wogs
Uni QLD - Tax Dollars
Sting Rays - Gays
Gold Coast - All sorts
Souths - Chippsy Wood Ducks
Sunny Bank - Bandits (as in one arm bandit)
Norths - ??????
East - 4 Irons (best way to stop a tiger)

Cheers no offence meant!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lion, not problem. Again, no real problem with the intent I guess. It just made a confusing first post. No idea who was who.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lion said:
Boys ,

Firstly I jumped on to this site because I love its lack of any political correctness. I am sorry if I offended any one.
I am not Jealous of Sunny Bank or any club. I think it is great what Sunny BAnk have done and Uni and I dont care how the have done it. They are spreading the Gospel, go you good things.

I do have issues with some of UQand the Banks recruitment especially of Colts from other clubs. That is a another discussion.

Giving the 2 fingered salute to political correctness and providing an interpretation for our :) friends here are the club names spelled out:

Surely, SA, you can be more original than that.

G

Geronimo

Lion said:

Have Uni and Sunnybank poached colts? I know they got the Tapuia's from down here, but I heard that it was Ben and Rex wanting to head to Brisbane to play. Who have they poached?

D

David

Geronimo said:
Lion said:

Have Uni and Sunnybank poached colts? I know they got the Tapuia's from down here, but I heard that it was Ben and Rex wanting to head to Brisbane to play. Who have they poached?

I think he means Sunnybank and UQ poaching colts from other Brisbane clubs, it is very common especially from UQ.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it has less to do with poaching and more to do with having a good recruitment and retention strategy in place. I was involved in Colts recruitment a few years back and it was funny how many juniors from other clubs would contact me about switching clubs. It made me aware that retention of local talent was a huge thing that most clubs ignore. These kids weren't just average club players but GPS 1XV players and Qld schoolboys they said that their club had not spoken to them so they assumed that they were not wanted.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
David said:
I think he means Sunnybank and UQ poaching colts from other Brisbane clubs, it is very common especially from UQ.

I know there is a club in Logan that is keen to step up to Prem grade but they can't due to Sunnyback recruiting there best Colts.
UQ takes alot of promising players from non-rugby areas as well (which isn't a bad thing).

G

Geronimo

en_force_er said:
David said:

I know there is a club in Logan that is keen to step up to Prem grade but they can't due to Sunnyback recruiting there best Colts.
UQ takes alot of promising players from non-rugby areas as well (which isn't a bad thing).

I think in the Logan case that this would be a classic catch22. The players leave Logan so that they have a chance to play Prems. The club can't form a capable prems team until they have enough of their good juniors sticking around for a few years. They can't do this because they keep leaving.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Went down to Bottomley Park yesterday to watch Easts take on GPS in a trial game. Not the best of games, final score 31-21 to GPS. The GPS forwards mullered the Easts pack in the set piece, and Easts must be looking forward the return of a few of their regulars. Second row looks like being an issue with Preconain gone to Uni and a couple of others out for the season. A few backs yet to return but it was good to see a few youngsters get a run on the wings.

I notice Slade and Satui still running around in the backs for GPS. Also understand Curtis Franks of Easts has gone across so they might put out a decent side when the comp begins. I hear Davies has gone to Uni though, that's a shame.

Looking forward to another club season.

Catch any games Lion?

D

Doc

David said:
Geronimo said:
Lion said:

Let's just say uni have done this twice in last two years from a 'southside' club. I have no real issues though. The players were offered apprenticeships by the 'southside' club. They couldn't deliver on their word, so players took academy spot and apprenticeships through uni.

C

chief

Had a browse at Shaw Park yesterday, Norths won verses Uni unsure of score. Norths are looking pretty good for this year, wonder what they can create of it. Possible top 4 finish I think.

unsub god

Herbert Moran (7)
Had a few at the Kennel on Saturday. Sunnybank belted the dogs in the Premier grade. Alo-Emille had a run here.
The dogs won Premier Colts 26-21.

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
Gents,

I watched the Wogs v Bandits..........ok ill stop. Western Buldogs v Sunny Bank.

It looks like a long season for the Dogs in Premier Grade. I dont beleive the bank were at full strength and they ran through the dogs like the provebial Hot knife. The dogs were well short of fitness especially the front row. Infact they would have been better off if they had bought Stan Pilleki out of retirement!

They were clueless in defence and attack. I felt Sorry for Tussy (I am not goung to even try and spell his name) and young second rower Dougal Strauss they gave their all but were supported up by thin air. Andrew Punch the number 7 is a hard toiler and when he left the field so did the dogs spine.

As mentioned Paul alo Emile took the field it was hard to guage how good he was as he was scrummaging against cookie dough. West used 2 of thier Prem Colts Nigel Genia and Nemiah Tupusee both tried hard. I dont know why Coaches take a punt on young players in premier grade it smacks of desperation. Unless the player is dominating colts games let him develop playing colts. It is short term pain for long term gain.

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
The shinning light for the Dogs is thier premier Colts. They look the goods. Full of no names, maybe a few half names like Genia and Darcy Trinadal. The later is a freak and could be a star if he gets on the treadmill. I couldnt help but think of Lloyd Walker watching him play. I dont know the score but the dogs won and it looked comfortable as the dogs dropped the last pass on 3 occasions early in the first half.
Wests will be very happy with their young charges. especially as it is rumoured that up until a few weeks ago Sunny Bank were trying to poach their players. If some one knows the name of the Wests Fullback write it down he could be a bolter.

In other Scores the much heralded Easts Prem Colts went down to GPS. Despite having the star studded BSHS back line Easts dont have a pack. Brothers went down to Souths and Souths have maintained the team from last year.
I say get down this year and watch the Prem Colts it is going to a real cracker.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Lion said:
In other Scores the much heralded Easts Prem Colts went down to GPS. Despite having the star studded BSHS back line Easts dont have a pack.

I was at that game Lion but didn't see too many 'star studded' players from the BSHS backline. Maybe they were giving their lesser lights a run, considering it was only a trial.

T

TOCC

Doc said:
TOCC said:
Lion said:
Bank - Sunny Bank Rugby Club (Pokey Machine Funded)

sounds more like jealousy then anything, just because sunnybank were smart enough to diversify there income stream...

Pokies or no pokies, i would love to see all clubs in brisbane able to build the facilities that Sunnybank have or are going to have in the future.

The facilities are only available though due to the pokies. A massive number of sport clubs from all sports are going broke, Sunnybank continues to prosper. You can't say you'd love to see the facilities in other clubs as it is essentially impossible. Sunnybank got lucky (and not jealousy, fact). The pokie laws changed around the time that other clubs got rid of theirs, sunnybank (the club, not rugby club) held theirs and became obscenely rich almost overnight. They have to give some of that dosh to the Bank etc. Any and all clubs would love to have newer facilities but sort of a miracle it won't happen. In fact clubs folding is much more likely.

like i said, sunnybank were smart enough to diversify

C

chief

The thing about the 'star studded' BSHS team. Was that there forward pack were really the stand outs of the team I thought. No backs but Saifoloi, Sautia, and Malley are anything extremely above the current Premier Colts level, Sautia being at school, and Malley being with the Broncos.

Status
Not open for further replies.