• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schalk Burger

Frank Row (1)
Conor Mitchell from Uni played the last two years in prems & still u/20 next year. A few of the other Uni colts boys played up in the prems due to injuries.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think GPS tried to get their academy up and running last week but I'm thinking that may have proved difficult having a fair whack of blokes down at the Goldie for Schoolies week. Will probably see some more progress now leading up till Chrissy.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good pick up by GPS - from all accounts there is a large group of players going down for 2014 so should be a strong year in all colts grades.

@Breakdown - its been running on Tues and Thurs now for about 4 weeks. Haven't actually been to any sessions but apparently they're getting about 20ish 'selected' players down to each session. Seems to be more of an extended pre-season rather than elite academy. Would have preferred if they gave the option to any colts boys to come down before the season for extras and then make it a bit more exclusive during the season for those blokes who are looking to get higher honours.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Pat Morrey (BGS Captain) to GPS. How's the Gallopers Academy going?

Surprising - Morrey is headed to a residential college at UQ with links to the UQ Rugby Academy. I'd assumed those were his reasons for joining this specific college.

When UQ reps travelled to Grammar recruiting potential Colts a number of First XV players were in attendance - including Morrey.

I understand this really wasn't an expression of interest, but I would have thought University made more sense logistically.

Just out of curiosity as to how the system works, do school repeaters have access to the Colts comp? Is it simply an u/20's style exercise, or are there ties to school leavers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lock-n-loada

Frank Row (1)
Surprising - Morrey is headed to a residential college at UQ with links to the UQ Rugby Academy. I'd assumed those were his reasons for joining this specific college.

When UQ reps travelled to Grammar recruiting potential Colts a number of First XV players were in attendance - including Morrey.

I understand this really wasn't an expression of interest, but I would have thought University made more sense logistically.

Just out of curiosity as to how the system works, do school repeaters have access to the Colts comp? Is it simply an u/20's style exercise, or are there ties to school leavers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
school repeaters can play colts but if their repeating for rugb,y their hardly going be allowed to play 20 games in another comp

there was a lad at Norths last year who played prem colts and was just 16 but his school didn't offer rugby union

I think what hasn't occurred to a lot of boys & parents is that if you've been in the 1sts, 2nds, or squads there are only X amounts of places in a Prem colts team, at the likes of GPS , UQ, etc there will be a lot disappointed boys who miss out......even if they are good enough to play

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Sam Clifton (TSS) to play for the Breakers after being heavily incentivised. Had originally agreed to play for UQ.

Bond Uni flexing their muscle with the new partnership.

oldmate

Frank Row (1)
I think you'll find a lot of clubs talk to a lot of boys from different schools. My understanding is that not every club not the 'mass presentation' to every school as Uni historically does, & does well.
Do you know which clubs have recruited well for the upcoming season?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Mate I am not really involved with any teams at the club, I just get most of my information from club officials.

However training resumes next week so I am sure I will find out then. According to most people they are expecting most of the kids back from last year, so I am going take a punt and say the will get a squad of 40-45 which may seem hopeful but here is hoping!

What I can tell you though is that a lot of players that we coming for both colts and premier grade, started become 'iffy' in regards to committing to the kennel due to the rumours surrounding the national comp. So i will not be surprised if players that were pencilled in to be dogs end up playing for GPS/Uni.

However Wests colts historically seem to produce at least one or two gems amongst the rough plucked from obscure backgrounds. Who usually kids from state schools or CQ who fly under the radar of most clubs.

I was speaking to the coach of the colts team during this season, and he explained the situation to me as that they have 3-5 players who were physically able to play at the level of Premier/colts 1 but the rest of the squad were just a bit to young to make an impact. He said the skills were ok on most but in a lot of cases when versing top 4 teams it was boys vs men. So he was positive that with those lads returning they will be another year older and battle hardened.
I
am not going to make any bold predictions of top 4 footy for Wests colts however I feel that they will definitely get some wins.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TD do you know if Wests have been able to address what makes their players leave halfway through the season though? It seems they always get decent numbers to pre season as you say 40 odd boys and are able to field a couple of colts sides but then suddenly the numbers start dropping and before you know it, there is only a winless prem colts team left. Has there been a coaching issue in the past? Do the colts get involved in club activities to help build that sense of club spirit?

Hairy Test Eagle

Ward Prentice (10)
A lot of the boys from the 2013 Wests Colts group were just after a social rugby team. When they ended up playing Prem Colts it wasn't all that enticing to hang around while they were playing out of their depth.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
TD do you know if Wests have been able to address what makes their players leave halfway through the season though? It seems they always get decent numbers to pre season as you say 40 odd boys and are able to field a couple of colts sides but then suddenly the numbers start dropping and before you know it, there is only a winless prem colts team left. Has there been a coaching issue in the past? Do the colts get involved in club activities to help build that sense of club spirit?

I just think it was a combination of losing to many games and injuries led them to the downfall of the colts 1...the colts get involved for the most part from what I am told but its hard to get consistent numbers to stay back and be merry when you have just had 50 points stacked on you

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets - What's the news coming outta the Bank? Will a change of coach lead them back into finals contention after a mediocre 2013?

Any notable recruits to support this process?

For a club like Sunnybank they should be making the top 4 each year. I think the change of coach will help as Damon is very enthusiastic and knowledgable. Hopefully there is some good talent with the likes of Conrad Quick and Benroy Sala in the mix.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
To be honest I have no idea who else will be involved. I'm not involved in the rugby side of things, apart from watching o the weekend.

Also I've been away for a month on holidays so that doesn't help.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Pat Morrey (BGS Captain) to GPS. How's the Gallopers Academy going?

UQ have secured Pat Morrey after he agreed to play with GPS. Been lured with academic & accomadation scholarships; most likely what Digger Macmillan walked away from. The Gallopers can't be happy as he would've been their top player.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
It is very hard to say too much about the Colts status of clubs.
Firstly any of the elite schools players (Aust Schoolboys) will play Premier rather than Colts.
Depending on depth in their position they may also be committed to an extensive U20 program with State Squads, National Champs, South Pacific International Series and Junior World Cup so club Rugby is almost irrelevant.
There is also the issue that players are not tenured in any way so a club can boast a recruit and then he moves next week.
The QRU have indicated that they will be auditing all clubs NRL style to prevent player payments but have indicated that University scholarships are OK. This is one of the few ways you can secure a player as the scholarships may be conditional on playing for UQ or GC (even SC had the same deal with their Uni).
For players who played 1st XV who have not got a scholarship or been included in the Reds College or State U20 squad their motivation to play Rugby has to be pretty strong - wanting to prove selectors wrong or playing with mates, otherwise it is a huge ego step down from school glory days.
This is why a strong Under 17 Junior program is great for Colts depth as the guys generally are mates. The UQ college system also achieves the same.
Even if you achieve with all this you face the same type if retention issues when they graduate from Colts, that is, players change clubs for opportunity or they simply stop playing because Premier Colts to 2nd Grade is not an acceptable step. Therefore most lower grade teams at clubs generally suceed when their is a strong group of mates to drive the motivation for participating.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Really?
I thought the Brisbane comp was stronger than that.
Aust Schoolboys stepping straight in the 1's is certainly not an expectation in Sydney.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
It is very hard to say too much about the Colts status of clubs.
Firstly any of the elite schools players (Aust Schoolboys) will play Premier rather than Colts.
Depending on depth in their position they may also be committed to an extensive U20 program with State Squads, National Champs, South Pacific International Series and Junior World Cup so club Rugby is almost irrelevant.
There is also the issue that players are not tenured in any way so a club can boast a recruit and then he moves next week.
The QRU have indicated that they will be auditing all clubs NRL style to prevent player payments but have indicated that University scholarships are OK. This is one of the few ways you can secure a player as the scholarships may be conditional on playing for UQ or GC (even SC had the same deal with their Uni).
For players who played 1st XV who have not got a scholarship or been included in the Reds College or State U20 squad their motivation to play Rugby has to be pretty strong - wanting to prove selectors wrong or playing with mates, otherwise it is a huge ego step down from school glory days.
This is why a strong Under 17 Junior program is great for Colts depth as the guys generally are mates. The UQ college system also achieves the same.
Even if you achieve with all this you face the same type if retention issues when they graduate from Colts, that is, players change clubs for opportunity or they simply stop playing because Premier Colts to 2nd Grade is not an acceptable step. Therefore most lower grade teams at clubs generally suceed when their is a strong group of mates to drive the motivation for participating.

Happyjack I completely disagree. Each year there are dozens of boys who make a GPS/AIC team & potentially QLD that don't go onto Aust Schoolboys. A number of these are proud of their achievements to date yet continue to further develop post school which is where opportunities come. Simply because they don't get drafted into the u20 squads straight from school does not mean they can't/ won't push for it in the next year or 2. QLD 1 players Mitch Third, Issak Fines, Sam Clifton etc aren't training with the u20s but you can bet all will be in the frame towards the end of this year.

On another note, how does the QRU feel about UQ's Kings College handing out accommodation scholarships to attract leading players? Surely this is player payment? It certainly would be in the NRL!

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
UQ have secured Pat Morrey after he agreed to play with GPS. Been lured with academic & accomadation scholarships; most likely what Digger Macmillan walked away from. The Gallopers can't be happy as he would've been their top player.

Shame to hear about Pat. Would of been a good addition. Was rehabbing his knee(?) through the GPS academy trainings. Not sure how long he is out for with that.
Where is Digger playing this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.