• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Country - official NRC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Dunno know about the Thorn selection.

IMHO he is the best ever Rugby player ! Better than Eales, better than anybody.

FFS - time to let it go Brad. I just hope you play like you used to and don't just make up the numbers and take up some young chaps opportunity.

Maybe it is a PR exercise.

I'll certainly tune in

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Dunno know about the Thorn selection.

IMHO he is the best ever Rugby player ! Better than Eales, better than anybody.

FFS - time to let it go Brad. I just hope you play like you used to and don't just make up the numbers and take up some young chaps opportunity.

Maybe it is a PR exercise.

I'll certainly tune in
I listened to Brad Thorn's VNR from the Reds yesterday. He's looking to play a little here and there and will definitely not be holding anyone back. He sees it as a way to coach from a different perspective and as Tui had to move across to city to cover Neville's injury there was a gap.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely there is some young Prems player who could have been given the opportunity.

Instead, x-1 players get the opportunity to play with an all time legend renowned for his dedication and preparation.

I'd guess that will be more valuable overall to the playing group than it would be for one more player to get a crack in the NRC.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Instead, x-1 players get the opportunity to play with an all time legend renowned for his dedication and preparation.

I'd guess that will be more valuable overall to the playing group than it would be for one more player to get a crack in the NRC.

Not IF he plays shithouse. Better to be remembered as a legend than a bloke who went around too many times

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not IF he plays shithouse. Better to be remembered as a legend than a bloke who went around too many times

Does that matter that much?

If he trains shithouse then sure but I doubt he will. The professionalism he can bring to that element of the game for the squad could have a real impact on some of those young players trying to make the next step from being largely amateur players to becoming a pro.

Some of these older blokes who have played in the NRC like Cam Treloar and Brad Thorn this year are a real benefit in my opinion. Those guys have to work harder to prepare and recover because of their age and that level of professionalism should be great for young players to be a part of.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Does that matter that much?

If he trains shithouse then sure but I doubt he will. The professionalism he can bring to that element of the game for the squad could have a real impact on some of those young players trying to make the next step from being largely amateur players to becoming a pro.

Some of these older blokes who have played in the NRC like Cam Treloar and Brad Thorn this year are a real benefit in my opinion. Those guys have to work harder to prepare and recover because of their age and that level of professionalism should be great for young players to be a part of.

I think it does matter.

He can be heavily involved and part some of his knowledge at training, mentoring meetings and the like,

There will be plenty of young guys lining up to TRY and rattle his ageing ribs/ Am sure he'll be up for it. We'll see

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, I'm all for the Thorn selection for the reasons stated above and more. I think people just see the NRC the wrong way.

It's better for the NRC to give 50 club guys a good shot every year rather than 100 decent club guys. For reasons such as:
  1. The standard of competition will be higher, so it's a better experience for the club guys that take part. They learn more, and get tested more.
  2. It creates a John West situation. This competition is about creating professional rugby players no rewarding guys for the sake of it.
We already have leagues for the 500-1000 decent rugby players in the country, they're called the local premier grades. The NRC is the NEXT step after that.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, I'm all for the Thorn selection for the reasons stated above and more. I think people just see the NRC the wrong way.

It's better for the NRC to give 50 club guys a good shot every year rather than 100 decent club guys. For reasons such as:
  1. The standard of competition will be higher, so it's a better experience for the club guys that take part. They learn more, and get tested more.
  2. It creates a John West situation. This competition is about creating professional rugby players no rewarding guys for the sake of it.
We already have leagues for the 500-1000 decent rugby players in the country, they're called the local premier grades. The NRC is the NEXT step after that.

I'm sure Brad will appreciate that the NRC is the NEXT step up (for him):)

T

Train Without a Station

Exactly right amirite.

If they're only play against club quality opponents it's pointless.

It should be an opportunity for the very best club players. A few in each position at most.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Surely there is some young Prems player who could have been given the opportunity.

Maybe the candidate's Qld Country thought could fill the void Neville left can't make it for work reasons? It's a tough ask of a amateur rugby player to tell work he'll be working patchy hours as he's got to travel around Australia playing rugby.

Unfortunately, not all working environments lend themselves to 'agile' work styles nor are the bosses understanding that happy employees cost them less and earn them more!

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I have no problem with Thorn playing due to the mentorship value etc that he will bring.

That is assuming he is not involved with the Reds in any form as a coach next year. If he is to be a Reds assistant or such, he should be focussing 100% on developing as a coach.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
For Me it will be interesting to see how both of the head coaches go. Hopefully they can bring some new and enterprising play to the table, Both are experienced in different ways.

I would also like to see more Prem grade players given the chance. I think an interesting rule could be that 5 players in the match day squad have to be non contracted super players. This could cause some interesting selection problems.

T

Train Without a Station

Why? What purpose does that serve?

How does lowering the quality help anybody?

Like seriously not all of the club players who get a go in this competition now are good enough, why would we want to widen the selection pool further?

If every Super Rugby squad has 35 players there's 175 players. Each weekend 184 players will be in the match day 23's for the NRC.

So there's 11 spots.

If each Super Rugby franchise has 5 players miss the NRC due to injury suddenly there is 36 spots.

If there is a set in stone Wallaby 23 then 23 don't play a single game. So there's 59 spots. But it's probably likely that 30 players don't play a single game due to Wallaby squad duty, and 5 are European based. So there's 61 spots every round.

Now if 2 players per Super Rugby team are let go early and therefore do not play (e.g. Holmes, Gill, Jones, Harris, etc.) then that's 71 spots every single round.

That's almost 9 players per 23. And that's before we get a single NRC related injury.

Right now there's probably already too many club players playing. But that's offset by the development and experience of returning NRC players who are within those club players.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Why? What purpose does that serve?

How does lowering the quality help anybody?

Like seriously not all of the club players who get a go in this competition now are good enough, why would we want to widen the selection pool further?

If every Super Rugby squad has 35 players there's 175 players. Each weekend 184 players will be in the match day 23's for the NRC.

So there's 11 spots.

If each Super Rugby franchise has 5 players miss the NRC due to injury suddenly there is 36 spots.

If there is a set in stone Wallaby 23 then 23 don't play a single game. So there's 59 spots. But it's probably likely that 30 players don't play a single game due to Wallaby squad duty, and 5 are European based. So there's 61 spots every round.

Now if 2 players per Super Rugby team are let go early and therefore do not play (e.g. Holmes, Gill, Jones, Harris, etc.) then that's 71 spots every single round.

That's almost 9 players per 23. And that's before we get a single NRC related injury.

Right now there's probably already too many club players playing. But that's offset by the development and experience of returning NRC players who are within those club players.

So from your perspective this should just be an opportunity to look at the same players that the Super clubs have already invested in So to use halfback as an example we we already know what Frisby is and we have seen some of Tuttle. I saw the Sunnybank Half who is really quick with a great running game play in the finals he would be interesting at the next level to see if he is capable.

Unless Qld and Aus rugby starts to give opportunities to players who are not in the inner circle we are just going to have the same results. Cliff Tupou was not out of his depth last year and he is a club player. I agree TWAS not all players will handle the step up but many will and at least we will know and perhaps develop some depth. It might also bring a bit more buy in from the clubs. While the Games are very entertaining and great value to attend the crowds are rubbish.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For Me it will be interesting to see how both of the head coaches go. Hopefully they can bring some new and enterprising play to the table, Both are experienced in different ways.

I would also like to see more Prem grade players given the chance. I think an interesting rule could be that 5 players in the match day squad have to be non contracted super players. This could cause some interesting selection problems.

they'd do that on their ear. My team for Brisbane would be:

Junior Laloifi
Brad Lacey
Alex Gibbon
Karmichael Hunt
Chris Kuridrani
Jake McIntyre
Nick Frisby
Leroy Houston
Michael Gunn
Luke Beauchamp
Lukhan Tui
Jeremiah Lynch
Sam Talakai (C)
Andrew Ready
Pettowa Paraka

Matt Mafi
Markus Vanzati
Feao Fotuaika
Brendan Mitchell
Jack DeGuingand
Moses Sorovi
Toby White

Patrick James

Uncontracted (as far as we know) are in bold.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
That is assuming he is not involved with the Reds in any form as a coach next year. If he is to be a Reds assistant or such, he should be focussing 100% on developing as a coach.

He'll still be delivering his coaching message, just in a different way. This is a good thing.

I think this makes sense, though I doubt any of the teams are playing less than 5 club blokes in their match day squads.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Who actually selected both squads ? Are there selectors ? Just looking at Country, fairly certain Kef, Thorn and Gilmour would have seen next to no QPR. City coaches some what more.

I would expect all of those with some level of Reds contract would have a clause including NRC selection.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Who actually selected both squads ? Are there selectors ? Just looking at Country, fairly certain Kef, Thorn and Gilmour would have seen next to no QPR. City coaches some what more.

I would expect all of those with some level of Reds contract would have a clause including NRC selection.
I think you may be mistaken there GBS, both Gilmore and Brad were everywhere watching the rugby. During the finals played on Sunday's I spotted them both on a Saturday at GPS schools rugby game. Every Prem rugby game I went to I saw either one of them present. I think they both eat sleep and live rugby. As for the squads I think the head coaches have some input but I am sure most of the selection process would be conducted by QRU given they have 2 teams to select it would surely not be a question of "rock, paper, scissors"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.