• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Country - official NRC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Who specifically?
All of them had fairly successful Super Rugby U20's tournaments, that's the standard of Australian rugby they are competing against.

Samking

Stan Wickham (3)
Saw Tim smith walking round at Souths Saturday, hear he will be back from injury in couple weeks, has he played this year and if fit guess could be a chance, The 12 for Wests also very handy

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Who specifically?
All of them had fairly successful Super Rugby U20's tournaments, that's the standard of Australian rugby they are competing against.

OK - I was not impressed with Scott-Young, Wright or Sorevi. S-Y caused more lost ball than any other player, Wright just not up to the standard and looks to be too small to make it at higher levels, and though I admit I didn't see much of Sorevi at the Championships, he was certainly quite woeful in the earlier match against the baby Blacks.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It was Nuciforia who got the nod as the back up scrummie not Sorovi I think. He played reasonably well I thought. Either way, Tuttle and Frisby would be the starters at Country and City respectively (assuming Genia is back and as such Frisby isn't required), Nuciforia will back one up, and if Gales still around (was he released or was it just Greene and the constantly injured boy), he'll back up the other.

T

TOCC

And like i said, these players played well in the Super U20's against the players who will be filling out the other NRC teams, playing In a poorly coached Australian U20s team doesn't mean they won't be successful at the NRC.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And like i said, these players played well in the Super U20's against the players who will be filling out the other NRC teams, playing In a poorly coached Australian U20s team doesn't mean they won't be successful at the NRC.

I'll give you that. Still, I think I'll stick with my comments about Wright and Sorovi but will concede that Scott-Young could well star at NRC if he learns to protect the ball.

It was Nuciforia who got the nod as the back up scrummie not Sorovi I think. He played reasonably well I thought. Either way, Tuttle and Frisby would be the starters at Country and City respectively (assuming Genia is back and as such Frisby isn't required), Nuciforia will back one up, and if Gales still around (was he released or was it just Greene and the constantly injured boy), he'll back up the other.

My comment about Sorovi related to the first trial match against the Blacks before the tournament where he put in just about the worst No 9 performance I've seen in a representative match. I think he did then come into the U20s tournament later on, getting some game time in the last round robin match IIRC. Don't think he wiped the memory of the trial match with that involvement.

T

TOCC

I'll give you that. Still, I think I'll stick with my comments about Wright and Sorovi but will concede that Scott-Young could well star at NRC if he learns to protect the ball.

My comment about Sorovi related to the first trial match against the Blacks before the tournament where he put in just about the worst No 9 performance I've seen in a representative match. I think he did then come into the U20s tournament later on, getting some game time in the last round robin match IIRC. Don't think he wiped the memory of the trial match with that involvement.

Moses didn't play a game in the WR (World Rugby) Under 20s, and you've already admitted you didn't watch the Super Rugby U20's, so you're basing your whole opinion of Moses on one game.

Regardless, Moses is the 3rd ranked U20's halfback in QLD behind Tuttle and Nucifora, he may get time in the NRC, and rightfully so, he has put in good performances in the QPR and Super Rugby U20's tournament.

Likewise with Scott-Young, he was MOTM a couple of times in the Super Rugby U20's including the GF and plays well above his age in the QPR, he will get his time in the NRC.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Good to see I'm not alone in my thoughts on how poorly coached our U20s squad was.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I thought Scott-Young stood out when he came on against Brothers on the weekend for nothing other than size and aggression. Not saying he doesn't have other skills - but that whats caught my eye. After 5 minutes I was wondering who no. 19 was (or whatever number he was wearing).

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sorovi apprarently heading to the Force at the end of the year

I think that fell through. Think Sorovi is staying in the east. The Force will probably pick up Michael Ruru from the local club comp but maybe they'll leave that up to the new coach.

T

TOCC

Interesting, there's a bit of a log jam in QLD halfbacks, Tuttle is the next candidate in line but behind that a few young halves in the QPR are putting their hand up for higher selection honours.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
So who are the certainties in QC (Quade Cooper)'s best side?

There is the Reds boys
1 Fa'agase
3 Thor
9 Tuttle
10 Mason
12 Paia'ua
13 Magnay

Then there is the boys who started last year who have all had strong club seasons
2 Mafi
5 Potgieter
6 Mitchell
7 ?de Guigand or Jones?
8 Cornelsen

Other guys that have been involved last year include Banks (15 from Uni), Pincus (14 from uni). Who else?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maclean Jones (no8) aus u20 captain.
Perese should be back
James Tuttle. Norths FB that played that 2nd last game for the reds
Hockings & rodda (aus u20 2nd rows)
Criff Tupou stated for country well before he got injured. causing trouble with his little bro

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maclean Jones (no8) aus u20 captain.
Perese should be back
James Tuttle. Norths FB that played that 2nd last game for the reds
Hockings & rodda (aus u20 2nd rows)
Criff Tupou stated for country well before he got injured. causing trouble with his little bro

Criff played for Brisbane City last year before his injury.

Leroy Houston will have to be assigned a club too.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
You would think it's likely that Jack Tuttle will be in there with his brother. Houston could be BC or QC (Quade Cooper) it remains to be seen. Macca Jones will be involved for sure. Maybe guys like Vanzati and Aumua from Souths, Mitchell and Fines-luluwasa(?) from Sunnybank or Felsman from Bros?

I suppose any of those club players could go either way. That said I suspect that QC (Quade Cooper) will have a surprisingly strong side this year, with some serious depth (in the back row particularly).

Status
Not open for further replies.