• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I think all these player match-ups ultimately prove nothing. It's easy to say one player is better than another, but it's all about what the teams offer as a unit- look at Churchie.

1st XV chasing 40th Premiership

September 12, 2012
The St Joseph’s Nudgee College 1st XV will be aiming for the College’s 40th GPS Rugby Premiership on Saturday when they take on BGS in the ‘Grand Final’.
There are no official Grand Finals in GPS sports, but with Nudgee College and Brisbane Grammar both only falling once this season, this Saturday’s match will determine the 2012 Premiers.
“Both 1st XVs are top of the table going into this final game which is a rare happening,” said Director of Sports and Activities Mr Mark Ensor.
BGS have not won GPS Rugby for 20 years so are expected to bring a large supporter squad, while Nudgee College always has great support with the Year 12 Spirit Committee aiming to "fill the grandstand" for this game.

“This Saturday we see the best attacking team in the competition (Nudgee College) against the best defensive team in the competition (BGS). We are going for three premierships in a row, a feat not achieved at Nudgee College since 1993-1995,” said Mr Ensor.
The 1st XV match commences at 2.05pm on Ross Oval but there will be lots happening at the College throughout the day.
Major sponsors Mercedes Benz will wash the cars (for free) of all Mercedes owners and will VIP park the cars from 10am and the famous NC DrumLine will perform.
Post-match (approximately 3.40pm onwards) everyone is welcome to attend the annual Boarders Bash where local and boarding families come together to share a drink and enjoy the Nudgee College community spirit.
1st XV Coach Mr Anthony Connellan said the team was both excited and confident about Saturday’s match.
“There is a great sense of excitement amongst the team. Opportunities like this don't arise often and against a quality team we will need to be at our best,” he said.​
“In saying that, the boys are very confident and can't wait for Saturday. Brisbane Grammar has had a great season and will put a lot of pressure on with their solid defence and very good kicking game.”

This is straight from the Nudgee website. I think it sums up the nature of the upcoming game perfectly- Two teams with conflicting strengths. Instead of looking at the match on a player-by-player basis, looking at how the two teams operate is potentially far more telling. Nudgee's team are far more explosive, a team of brilliantly talented individuals like Tuttle, Mafi, Postal, Sikimeti, Hussey etc.. Grammar, however, rely on a great deal of structure with an impeccably drilled forward pack, taking penalties whenever the opportunity rises inside their attacking 60m zone. As Grammar are such a strong defensive side, I'm backing them to do a solid job of containing Tuttle and the likes, led by an almost impenetrable midfield of Lakehm Aiono and Josh Birch. If BGS's forward pack turn out another disciplined and effective performance in the breakdown as they did against TSS et al. and nullify the attacking prowess of the Nudgee 1st XV, the game should fall down to the boots of each teams respective kickers.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting that Nudgee label themselves as the "Best attacking team in the competition".

Why is that interesting? they clearly are. Grammar win games but generally off the boot of Greene, which isnt a bad thing but Nudgee score way more tries which makes them better in attack.....
Nudgee will win this game easily. the only way grammar can win is if Greene and Corneleson have the best games of their life, and greene kicks 100%.

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
Does anyone have a for and against ladder for the 1st XV competition? Interesting to see which side really was the 'best attacking team'.
Either way though, Swarley basically summed up my thoughts about this game on Saturday, one player isn't going to make the difference but it is going to rely on the team's synergy. Churchie were a team of superstars and look where that got them. Best of luck for all fixtures this weekend, ill certainly be watching the NC vs BGS game.

Kesh

Frank Row (1)
BBC will be fielding a pretty much full strength team this weekend with quick, fakaosilea, khalell, Collins (not sure about Braeden Hood) all playing after a season domianted by injury, along with tom banks who would of probably made a Queensland team. All these boys are queensland schoolboys so it will be interesting to see how they go. Im expecting them to surprise us all and beat TGS by 10.
BBC's First XV video

As for the NC vs BGS i think tuttle will be too good and NC will win by 12

morelando bloom

Peter Burge (5)
Hussey over Marsden?
Underrated, yes. Underrated to that extent, no.
From watching both, the only thing I'd say Greene has over James is goalkicking. And James has Tuttle for that anyway. Sorry, but Greene just isn't the messiah he's made out to be.

As for Marsden, he made little impact against Terrace on the weekend, who fielded two much smaller wingers than what Nudgee will on Saturday.

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
From watching both, the only thing I'd say Greene has over James is goalkicking. And James has Tuttle for that anyway. Sorry, but Greene just isn't the messiah he's made out to be.

As for Marsden, he made little impact against Terrace on the weekend, who fielded two much smaller wingers than what Nudgee will on Saturday.
Marsden didn't play on the weekend against GT.

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)

lol

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Cracker of a few matches this weekend...

I am very envious of all schoolboys involved in the BGS v NC clash... not to be missed. Hopefully one day the College will be involved in such a fixture...

I am reluctant to put my prediction in for the game, looks very tight, but if anything Grammar may perhaps have an over reliance on Greene... Look for the Nudgee loosies to try and harass the $#&* out of him. Should be a damn good game, looking forward to the report.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
The St Joseph’s Nudgee College 1st XV will be aiming for the College’s 40th GPS Rugby Premiership on Saturday when they take on BGS in the ‘Grand Final’.

There are no official Grand Finals in GPS sports, but with Nudgee College and Brisbane Grammar both only falling once this season, this Saturday’s match will determine the 2012 Premiers.

“Both 1st XVs are top of the table going into this final game which is a rare happening,” said Director of Sports and Activities Mr Mark Ensor.

BGS have not won GPS Rugby for 20 years so are expected to bring a large supporter squad, while Nudgee College always has great support with the Year 12 Spirit Committee aiming to "fill the grandstand" for this game.

“This Saturday we see the best attacking team in the competition (Nudgee College) against the best defensive team in the competition (BGS). We are going for three premierships in a row, a feat not achieved at Nudgee College since 1993-1995,” said Mr Ensor.

The 1st XV match commences at 2.05pm on Ross Oval but there will be lots happening at the College throughout the day.

Major sponsors Mercedes Benz will wash the cars (for free) of all Mercedes owners and will VIP park the cars from 10am and the famous NC DrumLine will perform.

Post-match (approximately 3.40pm onwards) everyone is welcome to attend the annual Boarders Bash where local and boarding families come together to share a drink and enjoy the Nudgee College community spirit.

1st XV Coach Mr Anthony Connellan said the team was both excited and confident about Saturday’s match.

“There is a great sense of excitement amongst the team. Opportunities like this don't arise often and against a quality team we will need to be at our best,” he said.

“In saying that, the boys are very confident and can't wait for Saturday. Brisbane Grammar has had a great season and will put a lot of pressure on with their solid defence and very good kicking game.”
I think we will be seeing a few of them throughout the day

G

Gingerbat

BBC will be fielding a pretty much full strength team this weekend with quick, fakaosilea, khalell, Collins (not sure about Braeden Hood) all playing after a season domianted by injury, along with tom banks who would of probably made a Queensland team. All these boys are queensland schoolboys so it will be interesting to see how they go. Im expecting them to surprise us all and beat TGS by 10.

I would back any side that fielded Dyring at No. 9; comp's best scrumhalf.
BBC by 14 (2x tries from No. 9 !)

T

tightfive

BGS
For - 238
Against - 123

NC
For - 233
Against - 135

F&G
BGS 115
NC 98

So contrary to the Nudgee article it would appear that BGS is the best attacking side in the comp. As for relying on greene's boot, believe that BGS never failed to score as many if not more meat pies than any side they faced this year.

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
I would back any side that fielded Dyring at No. 9; comp's best scrumhalf.
BBC by 14 (2x tries from No. 9 !)
Dyring really is one of my favourite players in the competition to watch. I played club rugby with him for 2 years and every game with him he would find his way to the tryline multiple times. His ability to make a break is astounding and very few people in GPS rugby can match his acceleration, very Will Genia play style. Sad BBC hasn't had the recognition they deserved this year, the points ladder doesn't reflect their ability as a team.

G

Gingerbat

Dream Team 2012 ( on form ) anyone?

(Disclaimer: I don't know all the boys' names so no one left out intentionally - all suggestions valid and welcome - nasty remarks and arguments not so welcome!)
You can add a bench as well!

[my picks]

2. Blackhurst BGS
5. Cox BGS
8. Cornelsen BGS
9. Dyring BBC
10. Greene BGS
12. Tuttle NC
13. Birch BGS
14. Marsden BGS
15. Banks BBC

redatheart

Frank Nicholson (4)
So contrary to the Nudgee article it would appear that BGS is the best attacking side in the comp. As for relying on greene's boot, believe that BGS never failed to score as many if not more meat pies than any side they faced this year.

I think that only 3 points were scored by NC from penalties, so I suspect NC scored more tries than BGS so far this year.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
If your picking on individual "form" how do you pick Banks when he hasnt been playing?
1. Postale (NC)
2. Mafi (NC)
3. Takau (IGS)
4. Potgieter (TGS)
5. Fordyce (NC)
6. Gilbert (BGS)
7. MacNamee (GT)
8. Cornelson (BGS)
9. Deck (TGS)
10. Greene (BGS)
11. Ione (ACGS)
12. Tuttle (NC)
13. Hayes/Birch/Heenan/TGSleaguebloke (all guns would be happy with any)
14. Marsden (BGS)
15. Jonah Placid (TGS)

Status
Not open for further replies.