• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Any news on how any of the under 16 teams are shaping up this year? Churchie? Nudgee? TSS?

Anyone's guess. You'd think Churchie will be strong seeing as the majority of their 1st XV will be Year 12's. My pick would be, as you say, Nudgee or TSS

K

Keyman

Grammar's picked up plenty of new guys in u16s this year, Pat Morrey is a guarantee at playing 6 in the Firsts, Blake Laud's little brother Zach is a pretty good chance for the firsts wing spot that Jordan Cook would have played. Australian u/18 Javelin Champion Liam O'Brien played some pretty competitive rugby in Gympie or Mackay, cant remember which and has been included in the 40 man squad. Isaiah Cummings, a cross country runner from Murgon, just north of Cherbourg was a nifty little halfback in Rugby League, but wont play firsts. A new boy this term, Cameron Griffin played Rep wing in Rugby League in Townsville, but has been playing in a 5/8 role in the training squad. Not too sure why, but he doesnt look too bad.

In the Front Row, Cody Blackhurst, Al Harper, and Nick Anderson are guarantees. Harper is the traditional hooker in this age group, but Blackhurst is also hooker, and has expressed a pointed view that he doesnt want to play prop whereas Harper is much more versatile and is willing to do whatever it takes to get to the Firsts. Not to he's mention a few key kilo's heavier.

Lakehm Aiono has already experienced a few injury scares early in to the training season, with his shoulder and hamstring posing questions to his fitness in the GPS season.

Lewis Radford is also a guarantee in the team, with a blistering pace and a great kicking game, and in fact has been selected in the Junior Brisbane Lions program until dropping out due to academic/school leadership pressure.

Ferg Halliday was a starter in the Queensland u/15 side last year, and performed quite well if the Courier Mail is to be believed.

Josh Birch has continued with his Norths Devils training, and has been in strong form already for them, and hopefully will be bringing this form to Rugby Union without any injuries.

This is the most probable team so far

1. Al Harper (c)
2. Cody Blackhurst
3. Nick Anderson
4. Michael Gilbert
5. (open for competition)
6. Patrick Morrey
7. Andrew Saunders
8. Jack Cornelson
9. Fergus Halliday
10. Sam Greene
11. Zach Laud
12. Lakhem Aiono
13. Josh Birch
14. Lewis Radford
15. Cameron Griffin

BGA

Bob McCowan (2)
I heard TSS have been heavily importing for the U16's year. Also some new players to the Terrace line-up.

Not sure about any others but it looks like a few of the Terrace U16's will be playing Firsts this year (Laxon, Fowler). Also, new U16 player Robert Green who played rep last year looks like he'll be playing Firsts as well, so if anything Terrace will be losing players from their 16A's line up.

Anyone have any info on which schools are sending U16 teams to the Gold Coast Rugby Carnival in July? If so that'll be an opportunity to see all a lot of U16 GPS players at once

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Grammar's picked up plenty of new guys in u16s this year, Pat Morrey is a guarantee at playing 6 in the Firsts, Blake Laud's little brother Zach is a pretty good chance for the firsts wing spot that Jordan Cook would have played. Australian u/18 Javelin Champion Liam O'Brien played some pretty competitive rugby in Gympie or Mackay, cant remember which and has been included in the 40 man squad. Isaiah Cummings, a cross country runner from Murgon, just north of Cherbourg was a nifty little halfback in Rugby League, but wont play firsts. A new boy this term, Cameron Griffin played Rep wing in Rugby League in Townsville, but has been playing in a 5/8 role in the training squad. Not too sure why, but he doesnt look too bad.

In the Front Row, Cody Blackhurst, Al Harper, and Nick Anderson are guarantees. Harper is the traditional hooker in this age group, but Blackhurst is also hooker, and has expressed a pointed view that he doesnt want to play prop whereas Harper is much more versatile and is willing to do whatever it takes to get to the Firsts. Not to he's mention a few key kilo's heavier.

Lakehm Aiono has already experienced a few injury scares early in to the training season, with his shoulder and hamstring posing questions to his fitness in the GPS season.

Lewis Radford is also a guarantee in the team, with a blistering pace and a great kicking game, and in fact has been selected in the Junior Brisbane Lions program until dropping out due to academic/school leadership pressure.

Ferg Halliday was a starter in the Queensland u/15 side last year, and performed quite well if the Courier Mail is to be believed.

Josh Birch has continued with his Norths Devils training, and has been in strong form already for them, and hopefully will be bringing this form to Rugby Union without any injuries.

This is the most probable team so far

1. Al Harper (c)
2. Cody Blackhurst
3. Nick Anderson
4. Michael Gilbert
5. (open for competition)
6. Patrick Morrey
7. Andrew Saunders
8. Jack Cornelson
9. Fergus Halliday
10. Sam Greene
11. Zach Laud
12. Lakhem Aiono
13. Josh Birch
14. Lewis Radford
15. Cameron Griffin

Hugo Starr-Thomas would be a front-runner for either the #12 or #15 jersey. Lewis Radford is also in contention for the fullback spot.

K

Keyman

Hugo Starr-Thomas would be a front-runner for either the #12 or #15 jersey. Lewis Radford is also in contention for the fullback spot.

I was talking to Hugo last thursday, he seemed pretty resigned to having lost his starting firsts spot. And anyway, who knows? Lakehm is as prone to injury as anyone I've ever met, theres definitely a chance of him getting hurt. Another way to slot Hugo in would be to put Cornelson at 5, which is where he played in the firsts last year, Lakehm at 8 and Hugo at 12. But it seems unlikely, they've been running Lakehm in the backs so far.

K

Keyman

They could even put Zach Laud at 12, hes definitely got the size for it, sliding Cameron Griffin to wing and Hugo to fullback. Theres plenty of versatility in the backline this year, grammar's looking good

H

Hayden Mitchell

Not sure about any others but it looks like a few of the Terrace U16's will be playing Firsts this year (Laxon, Fowler). Also, new U16 player Robert Green who played rep last year looks like he'll be playing Firsts as well, so if anything Terrace will be losing players from their 16A's line up.
McNamee, Wilson, Jenkins, and Larosa all likely for first this year

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
McNamee will be dropped for Mellor. Wilson is an Open player regardless of 1st or 2nds. Larosa will eventually be dropped for Ben Russell/Zac Little.

Tubba

Stan Wickham (3)
1. Nick Anderson / Mort Duff
2. Cody Blackhurst
3. Tom Spencer
4. Michael Gilbert
5. Ben Muller
6. Lakhem
7. Andrew Saunders
8. Jack Cornelson
9. Ferg Halliday
10. Sam Greene / Tom Branch (Sam Greene might have a possible knee reconstruction)
11. Hugo Krimmer
12. Bryce Parker
13. Josh Birch
14 Nick Darvensiza?!??????!!?!!?
15. Matt Marsden

Steve Pierce

Stan Wickham (3)
Hey guy, i havnt seen much information about BBC. I think BBC's first xv will be dominent and believe they are under dogs in this years season. The team has collected 5 new scholarshiped players imported by the school proving them usefull for a hopefully succesfull season. Their names are Benroy Sala ( previously from BSHS) at prop, Junior Lolo Fakaosilea (back rower, loose forward), Conrad Quick ( centres), Joshua Bowen ( utility back, preferd at 10 and 15), Brodie Collins ( utility back) and Noel Mclean ( Winger, centres).

BBC first xv

1. James Stuwart
2. Rob Lawless
3. Benroy Sala
4. Harison Mann
6. Ned Heathcote
7. Braedon Hood
8. Junior Lolo Fakaosilea
9. Mike Dyring
10. Joshua Bowen
11. Noel Mclean
12. Conrad Quick
13. Brodie Collins
14. Gareth Kallel
15. Tom Banks

A strong/ Atheletic team, and will prove handy in the compition. Hope every other team has a successfull season and let the kids have fun!

- cheers

R

rugbee

McNamee, Wilson, Jenkins, and Larosa all likely for first this year
Big call 3 months out from season start ,squads at all schools tentative ,a number of lads will be competing GPS trials for schoolboys before GPS Comp begins .Where do you think Mcnamee will start .Bit light to pack front row from what I understand.

N

notnow

Hey guy, i havnt seen much information about BBC. I think BBC's first xv will be dominent and believe they are under dogs in this years season. The team has collected 5 new scholarshiped players imported by the school proving them usefull for a hopefully succesfull season. Their names are Benroy Sala ( previously from BSHS) at prop, Junior Lolo Fakaosilea (back rower, loose forward), Conrad Quick ( centres), Joshua Bowen ( utility back, preferd at 10 and 15), Brodie Collins ( utility back) and Noel Mclean ( Winger, centres).

BBC first xv

1. James Stuwart
2. Rob Lawless
3. Benroy Sala
4. Harison Mann
6. Ned Heathcote
7. Braedon Hood
8. Junior Lolo Fakaosilea
9. Mike Dyring
10. Joshua Bowen
11. Noel Mclean
12. Conrad Quick
13. Brodie Collins
14. Gareth Kallel
15. Tom Banks

A strong/ Atheletic team, and will prove handy in the compition. Hope every other team has a successfull season and let the kids have fun!

- cheers

number 5 probably looking to be Conor Arkell, tall, fairly strong and a very good tackler. Looking to jump in the lineout

Steve Pierce

Stan Wickham (3)
That sounds like a fairly impressive BBC side with a range of new talent.

One team have not been talked about on this forum is TSS. I understand they have a massive number 8 this year, a good flyhalf and outside centre. Would anyone be able to confirm this?

TGS are looking strong this year with plenty of talent from last year's First XV (around 10?) coming back for their second season. I would not write this team off just yet. Some new talent has also been sighted around the school so it will be interesting to see how they adapt to the GPS rugby competition.

the out side centres name is Nili Falea, strong, fast and agressive! should have an affect on their side.

F

footybrah

I have heard that Jonathan Kogan is strong competition for openside this year at BGS. He has recently started rugby and unlike most flankers, can squat 140kg. He's an athlete

Steve Pierce

Stan Wickham (3)
Watching NTS Conor Arkell is one to check out for BBC boys. He's a tall beast who can bench 150kg, almost as big as me aye ;)

The only NTS players from BBC are Braedon Hood, Junior Fakaosilea, Conrad Quick, Gareth Kallel, Joshua Bowen and Brodie Collins.

Watching NTS Conor Arkell is one to check out for BBC boys. He's a tall beast who can bench 150kg, almost as big as me aye ;)

And he doesnt bench 150 kg because Conrad Quick holds the record at the BBC gym at the monement at 135kg

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Beloved Trolls,

I will never understand the motivations behind your posts on this site. Not only are they senseless and stupid, but they are annoying and not funny. You are wasting your own time and making not only your schoolmates sound like idiots, but your school in general. Not only this but you are wasting the time of readers of this site who actually appreciate schoolboy rugby and have something worthwhile to contribute. Get out on the field and play the game with your mates and have fun, whether that is in the A Team or the F team. Rugby is about having FUN. If you are not capable of this surely you have study or something more productive to do with your time and your life.

Light.

Status
Not open for further replies.