• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

churr

1 person who has not been talked about from TSS and i believe will play for QLD is Vincent Cooney, GPS 3 last year and one of the standouts of the team, he has to be watched

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Churchies weakness will definitely be their tight 5, scrums were dominated all night.

They did play their 2nd XV against TSS so almost impossible to get anything out of that performance. Were overpowered by Nudgee but I wouldn't say dominated as Nudgee forwards tired alot quicker and it showed on the scoreboard

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
But you say they have enormous depth, so surely their 2nd XV could be competitive with one of the weaker TSS packs?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Jack Tuttle reaffirmed his status as the best player in the competition last night. Singlehandedly won the TSS game and nearly toppled Churchie by himself. Another thing I noticed about the ACGS vs NC game - it was physical. Nudgee wouldn't give up an inch and each team looked like they were really, thoroughly enjoying hitting each other.
Some notes on each team:
ACGS
- Didn't really live up to the hype. The interior of the backline looked a shambles, the standout was Gus McClanachan at 12. The wings in the Nudgee game - Monty Ioane and Jaidon Schafer - looked the goods and I'd be surprised not to see them as the starting pair. Schafer will at least be in 13, and Alex West looks in real trouble of not having a spot.
- The tight 5 is a real issue, especially at the scrum. Got dominated by both other packs. Even lineout looked fairly sloppy, a few balls from Joe Warriner went askew and the backup hooker seemed to play better.
- The backrow was impressive, especially Oppenheimer who nearly had a try in both games. Even Seb Georgiou made a few good runs against Nudgee (even though playing in the second row).
- Should come better with time, the backline was clearly superior to Nudgee's and should get better. Overall, their standout players for me were Oppenheimer at 8 and Schafer and especially Ioane on the wings.

NC
- Dylan Sikimeti is quick. Nearly outran the entire Churchie backline.
- Have a very good scrum, and a massive team. Their forwards were easily superior to Churchie's.
- The backline is rubbish. Apart from Tuttle, who was the standout player of the night. Miscommunication (which nearly cost a try against Churchie) and dropped pill was the theme of the night. A lot of work to go.
- The backline defence was good against Churchie, kept them in the game when Churchie was charging on late.

TSS
- Not much to say really. Were strong throughout both games but I think they were benefitted by playing ACGS and Nudgee after they'd bashed each other up. Outside backs do look to be a strong point, and the forwards held their own with Nudgee.
- Let up a pretty weak try to Churchie in the end, which was a sorry way to end their game.

C

Casey95

You can sing and dance about all the teams individual players all you like. Reality is that this year is the closest contested competition in many many years (across all 9 teams). You simply need to look at the terrace team last year and their loss to nudgee. A combination of a Churchie and Nudgee dreamteam would struggle to put that score on terrace this year. This year is going to come down to how well each teams players gell. r.e. the curtain raiser game(s), you can't draw anything from those games. They were a 25minute half against each side (the season will obviously see 2 35min halves) with very little break inbetween the halves (/thirds). You can't take anything from Churchie's perfromances, close to, if not more than 1/2 their squad was playing sick on saturday night, with many missing trainings throughout the week. Can't draw too much from the performance of Nudgee, coming off the last holidays tour, they were expected to be the most match fit, however that obviously wasn't the case and considering they were missing some of their bigger boys, thats a bit of a worry for them. And TSS just appeared to have a very off night, which all teams can have and they are lucky that it's happeneing throughout the TRIAL periods.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Jack Tuttle reaffirmed his status as the best player in the competition last night. Singlehandedly won the TSS game and nearly toppled Churchie by himself. Another thing I noticed about the ACGS vs NC game - it was physical. Nudgee wouldn't give up an inch and each team looked like they were really, thoroughly enjoying hitting each other.
Some notes on each team:
ACGS
- Didn't really live up to the hype. The interior of the backline looked a shambles, the standout was Gus McClanachan at 12. The wings in the Nudgee game - Monty Ioane and Jaidon Schafer - looked the goods and I'd be surprised not to see them as the starting pair. Schafer will at least be in 13, and Alex West looks in real trouble of not having a spot.
- Should come better with time, the backline was clearly superior to Nudgee's and should get better. Overall, their standout players for me were Oppenheimer at 8 and Schafer and especially Ioane on the wings.
\

100% agree. I was impressed by #13 Vanuseva and both Schafer and Ioane on the wings. #21 West made a try saving tackle on the TSS 13 in the second game that I thought was the game changer. IMO he won't get dropped from the starting XV based on that performance. They will struggle to get the perfect combination though as I thought Watson didn't really play well and Eason was poor from #9, a position they really cant afford to persevere with him in. After last night I think their back-line would have to be:
9 Quigley
10 Eason/Watson - Eason has the leadership and organisation, Watson has the kicking game. Tough choice but they will have to make the call early in the season. Maybe Watson could play 15.
11 Ioane
12 McClanahan
13. Schafer
14. West
15. Vanuseva/Hyne

They have plenty of options though and once that gels it will be a lethal back-line, well and truly capable of dominating Nudgee's. Kicking duties will be interesting, Vanuseva started but was shocking and Watson converted from the sideline, Eason is also more than capable of converting as to is McClanahan.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Jack Tuttle reaffirmed his status as the best player in the competition last night. Singlehandedly won the TSS game and nearly toppled Churchie by himself.

Was the outstanding player of the Oz U/16 tournament in Sydney last year and was dragged in to play for Oz A Schools against the NZ Schools dirt-trackers.

Is destined to play Super Rugby, at least, if he stays in our code. Folks may think I shouldn't make such comments because they could put pressure on the lad, but with so much interest from league clubs even before the 2011 U/16 tournament, according to a family member, my remarks will add none.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I have not seen such a dominant performance from a schoolboy inside centre in a very long time. The only comparison I can make is to Anton Lavin, the '03 Australian Schoolboy who devastated oppositions running off the shoulder of Karmichael Hunt in his Churchie days.. It really was something else, well and truly a class above every other player on the field in both games.

N

NC95

nudgee definitely dominated churchie for the first 20 minutes of the game but it seemed that nudgee big players became easily fatigued and tired, leading to a sloppy churchie side luckily coming away with a draw. Except for Jack Tuttle Nudgee's back line has no real exceptional players and their forwards although strong especially in set plays were quite unfit, and lazy at getting to the rucks and mauls

Churchie really let themselves down i believe, although playing well, did not play to everyones expectations of them. They struggle to turn good play into points. It is very hard to judge these teams on their performances last night, we will have to wait and see what happens in the trials.

BBC are coming around with numerous new players this year who could give them some advantage and they are looking for some upsets

R

Reds24

Not alot said about tss who would hav to be at the top end of the table how are they shaping up/ who are their standouts???

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not alot said about tss who would hav to be at the top end of the table how are they shaping up/ who are their standouts???

They were the most disappointing of the teams last night IMO. Their scrum was dominant but the backline just lacked any penetration or quality. They struggled just to spread the ball, let alone create any set-pieces capable of scoring points. I thought their #13 was very good, as was their #14 but they just did not get enough of the ball. #10 had obvious quality but just wasn't receiving it fast enough or creating necessary chances, that being said the Nudgee and Churchie defences were both quite good. They showed how to beat Nudgee and I think they will stand a pretty good chance over 70mins, 25 min games are nearly impossible to get a good read.

That being said, their positives are obviously in the forward pack, particularly the tight 5. They didn't really have any breakdown dominance or a fetcher but they looked mobile and fit so that's all you can really ask for right now. They will certainly be a tough team to beat, I just can't see them overcoming Churchie or Nudgee after last night, they lacked the ability to score points and it showed on the scoreboard, particularly against Churchie where they had the majority of the ball.

C

churr

standout players for TSS are the obvious 4 who have had first XV experience, them being Ben Tarr #1 , Mithc Thirdd #10 , Vincent Cooney #13 and Sam Clifton #3 but players to watch are Adam Gauder #15 who played QLD 16s last year, Isaac Nathan #11 who is signed with the Brisbane Broncos, Joel Brown #7 an u16 with tremendous talent, Evander Guttenbeil #8 who played QLD 16s last year and Luke Papworth #5 who moved up from NSW and was in their state 16s last year

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
standout players for TSS are the obvious 4 who have had first XV experience, them being Ben Tarr #1 , Mithc Thirdd #10 , Vincent Cooney #13 and Sam Clifton #3 but players to watch are Adam Gauder #15 who played QLD 16s last year, Isaac Nathan #11 who is signed with the Brisbane Broncos, Joel Brown #7 an u16 with tremendous talent, Evander Guttenbeil #8 who played QLD 16s last year and Luke Papworth #5 who moved up from NSW and was in their state 16s last year
TSS have done some heavy recruiting then. #8 for them was one of the biggest schoolboy player I have ever seen. While dominant with the ball in hand, he missed a few tackles and never went to the breakdown. I thought the #12 for TSS was also fairly impressive, made a few good line breaks.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
hazarding a guess at a new table now
= 1 ACGS, NC
2 IGS
3 TSS
4 BBC
5 BGS
6 TGS
7 BSHS
8 GT
IGS 2nd? I would put them at 5th and move everyone else up a place. Even though BBC do have a lot of new players I still don't see them top 4, maybe 5th or 6th? I agree with the most of the others though

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
IGS have a lot of good players. Latham Takau would have to be the biggest player in the comp. Dan Preen, Aaron Pleash are excellent players. While there might not appear to be too much backline talent, the Ipswich backline is always sneakily good. They might end up with the best pack in the comp, I can see IGS doing some damage.

BBC's recruitment has been more extensive than I first thought, and probably have the ability to do some damage. i was tempted to put both Grammar and Toowoomba over them, but I really think they're poised to do some damage.

A lot has been posted on here about Terrace, but by all looks they have maybe 4 players who'd make first teams at other schools. The blowouts won't be as bad as last year, and maybe there'll be a win or two, but not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.