• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GPS fan

Match report - BGS vs ACGS

Interesting game at Churchie today, not sure whether BGS played bad or ACGS played well but penalties were plenty. 5 minutes in, a penalty kick was taken by the grammar captain, #10 Sam Greene, ~47m out and 5m in from the sideline. Just making the distance and taking the initial pressure off BGS. This is a usual pattern I have seen were any team that makes an error inside their 50, Grammar have been sure to capitalise.

As the half went on, Churchie looking deadly in the backs but the Grammar defence was impenetrable. The BGS forwards delievering some crushing runs and tackles surely hindered the moral of ACGS. A yellow card was given to Greene 5 minutes from half time, not sure why, can anyone fill me in here? Churchie wasn't able to score any points off this, leaving the half time score 9-6 to BGS.

The 2nd half allowed Greene to kick his 4th penalty in the first few minutes, the shoe of Greene quickly becoming Grammars path to victory it was obvious Churchie were doing what ever they could to take him out of the game.
A heavy statement but surely those late tackles didn't happen to target Greene just by chance? Yes he was kicking the ball but you would believe 1st XV players would go for the charge down and not the player.

A massive late tackle by Churchie captain, #10 Darcy Eason, on Greene left im down injured allowing churchie to run the ball right through the defence of Grammar and score. Neither touchies or the Ref paid any attention to the late tackle nor the previous few that happened in the first half. Try converted with 10-15 left on the clock left BGS on the back foot trailing by 1, they spent the next minutes making desperate attempts at the tryline, which eventually paid off in the usual fashion of a pick and drive off the back of a ruck.
Greene missed his only kick of the game from a difficult angle leaving the score 13-17.

A large amount of injury time was added to the game going 8 minutes past the 70 minutes mark on the scoreboard, nice to see the Ref time the match by his watch and not a schoolboy behind a window in a room.

Grammar took their time winding down the time, scoring another penalty off the boot of Greene.
Eventually the ball found touch ending the game 20-13

Standout players being
#2 Alistair Harper
#5 Ben Muller
#8 Cornelson
#10 Green
#12? Lakehm Aiono
#13? Joshua Birch
#14 Hugo Starr-Thomas - Who went down a few times during the game but still managed to playon

From ACGS -
#2 unknown
#11 Monty Ioane
#14 Sam Hyne

P.S. It was topic of conversation a week or two ago that the days of silence when a kick was taken were over, the general consensus was that they were. Which i totally disagreed with btw, i never knew where the opinions that were opposite to mine were coming from until today. The first kick of the day the parents were unaware of procedures as it took sometime for them to pipe down. The 2nd kick they were fine, Churchie however, were not. Calling out obscenities seconds before a game changing kick was taken is absolutly appaling. This happened once or twice more where i suppose a teacher told them off? Either way, the student body should be punished for this and I hope they are truly sorry for their actions as supporters today.

Looks like NC TSS and BGS are the three schools left with a shot at the title. BGS vs TSS in round 7 and BGS vs NC in round 9 are sure to be the deciders. Which ever of those teams stays undefeated in the last 3 games will be sure to win. There is chance for those 3 teams to all lose one match however, leaving it in a 4/5 way tie.
Current Points standings after today.
1 NC - 10 - bye to come
2 IGS - 8 - bye to come
2 BGS - 8
2 TSS - 8
5 TGS - 6
6 BBC - 3
7 GT - 2
7 BSHS - 2 - bye to come
9 ACGS - 1

I have to doubt your ability to pick the best players especially after you have the Churchie hooker down as standout. He lost nearly every line out and from memory at least 2 tighthead's.... The Churchie wingers saw hardly any ball...

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
You're probably right. that list wasn't exactly standouts but people who played well. I wasn't too concentrated on Churchies side either.

T

tightfive

Another team fell victim at the shark tank today with southport getting up over the boys from the range 29-14
Sets up next weekends big game against Grammar at Northgate nicely looking like it will be a premiership decider
Should be a cracker. BGS forwards will need to lift from today's performance. Their gun backs need more pill on the front foot.

B

BOLO_lol

Good on BSHS for winning their first game. Agree with you Red Black, there were a few scrummaging issues and questionable calls by the ref but BSHS were over them in the end. Does anyone know what happened to the No.10 ??

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Rnd 6 scores(to be confirmed)
1st: NC 40 d IGS 21; TSS 29 d TGS 14; BGS 20 d ACGS 13; BSHS 24 d GT 14

16A: NC 48 d IGS 0; TSS 15 d TGS 5; BGS 19 d ACGS 17; BSHS 26 d GT 0

15A: ACGS 14 d BGS 9; BSHS 19 d GT 8; IGS did not field a team.

14A: NC 19 d IGS 3; TSS 12 d TGS 5; BGS 33 d ACGS 3; BSHS 52 d GT 5

13A: IGS 27 d NC 0; TGS 19 d TSS 0; ACGS 33 d BGS 7; GT 17 d BSHS 10

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
20-13 to Grammar over Churchie. I'd just like to have quick go at Churchies absolutely disgusting behaviour during the game both on and off the field.

As Greene lined up his first 3 or 4 kicks Churchie supporters waited until he was a foot away from striking the ball before screaming out calls about Greene's mother.

This hooligan behaviour was continued on the field when both Greene and Radford (11) were brutally and illegally targeted after kicking the ball away. Amazingly, BOTH the touch judges and referee saw nothing of the shoulder charges (unlikely at best, the contacts were huge) or saw something and chose to play on. After the third incident a yellow card should have been given.
The first kick of the day the parents were unaware of procedures as it took sometime for them to pipe down. The 2nd kick they were fine, Churchie however, were not. Calling out obscenities seconds before a game changing kick was taken is absolutly appaling. This happened once or twice more where i suppose a teacher told them off? Either way, the student body should be punished for this and I hope they are truly sorry for their actions as supporters today.

The comments re: shouting before kicks are largely accurate. I didn't hear what was said but Churchie supporters were being vocal. However, so too were BGS supporters with both shouts and whistles during the kicks on goal.

As for the shoulder charges, there were two that seemed to incite the BGS crowd. The first by the Churchie #5 was poor form - late and with no arms. The ref immediately called advantage, a penalty was given and so too was a final warning to the player. It certainly wasn't a case of nothing being seen of it by any official - the touchie on that side also reported it to the ref immediately.

Nonetheless, the BGS crowd were heard to shout things to the grey-haired touchie (at least a paraphrase, but I believe a direct quote): "You're too old to be a touch judge! Go back to your nursing home gramps!" and later, when the same touchie was bowled over in a try scoring attempt in the corner: "Hey touchie, do we need to go get your wheelchair?". Hardly saintly.

The second 'shoulder charge' I imagine being alluded to was a charge down attempt on Greene in the lead-up to Churchie's sole try. #10 Eason left the ground as Greene commenced his kick, at all times had his arms upward in the usual manner to affect a charge down. The players collided. Again, the referee immediately shouted to players (audible from touchlines) something like "play on, charge down!". Whether or not you agree with the interpretation (I do, at least), to say it wasn't dealt with is plainly wrong.

Finally, after the subsequent Churchie try was scored, a chasing BGS player (#6) took it upon himself to deliberately shove the Churchie tryscorer in the head while he was off balance (well after the ball had been grounded). This prompted some handbags.

Again, as I said, Churchie boys weren't great but to imply it was one way traffic is pretty wide of the mark.

On a positive note, I'd like to share something that thoroughly impressed me. At full time and after BGS had hugged, and Churchie had had their moment on their haunches, the BGS student spectators rushed onto the field to celebrate with their team. Belying the regard in which he is held, Greene (with teammates joining in) turned and shouted at all the spectators to stop and wait - the throng halted in its tracks. The BGS team then promptly went over and shook hands with all the Churchie team. A hugely impressive moment and an absolute credit to the gentlemen responsible.

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
The comments re: shouting before kicks are largely accurate.

I didn't hear what was said but Churchie supporters were being vocal. However, so too were BGS supporters with both shouts and whistles during the kicks on goal. Don't have any idea where this is coming from, i didn't hear what churchie said, such as 'things about his mother', but there was one occasion where the whole churchie student body let out one big cry as Greene kicked. The Grammar students were quiet during EVERY kick, i can assure you. feel free to point out any whistling during kicks in this http://new.livestream.com/Live-Rugby/events/1027704.
At the 30:30 minute mark in the video you can see the controversal late hit on Greene that allowed Churchie to cross the line.

Nonetheless, the BGS crowd were heard to shout things to the grey-haired touchie (at least a paraphrase, but I believe a direct quote): "You're too old to be a touch judge! Go back to your nursing home gramps!" and later, when the same touchie was bowled over in a try scoring attempt in the corner: "Hey touchie, do we need to go get your wheelchair?". Hardly saintly.This is partially correct, but firstly, the first insult was a member of the public sitting right behind the Grammar students, most likely a Grammar parent, who said, Direct quote, 'You're too old to be a touchie you old fart!' The touchie heard this but just smiled and paid no attention. during the 2nd occurence when the touchie fell over another player, nothing was said as everybody was interesting in whether he had gone out or not. Also the try was dissallowed so i don't think there would have been any reason for an insult to be thrown. It was a showcase of disrespect indeed to insult a man that is doing his best and is more qualified than said person, however when things don't go your or your teams way, fingers are easily pointed at the red.

The second 'shoulder charge' I imagine being alluded to was a charge down attempt on Greene in the lead-up to Churchie's sole try. #10 Eason left the ground as Greene commenced his kick, at all times had his arms upward in the usual manner to affect a charge down. The players collided. Again, the referee immediately shouted to players (audible from touchlines) something like "play on, charge down!". Whether or not you agree with the interpretation (I do, at least), to say it wasn't dealt with is plainly wrong.
Wheather or not the tackle was legal or not, i think you have to look at the social aspect of the tackle. Greene is the flagship member and star player of Grammar's first XV rugby team. When the opposition, especially their captain and Greene's oposing flyhalf, makes a big hit that could be called illegal on Greene right infront of the Grammar cohort, at what could easily be taken as an attempt to send him off injured. You are asking for trouble. Bias come hugely into play here as everyone want's the game to go their way so I guess we should call it even?

On a positive note, I'd like to share something that thoroughly impressed me. At full time and after BGS had hugged, and Churchie had had their moment on their haunches, the BGS student spectators rushed onto the field to celebrate with their team. Belying the regard in which he is held, Greene (with teammates joining in) turned and shouted at all the spectators to stop and wait - the throng halted in its tracks. The BGS team then promptly went over and shook hands with all the Churchie team. A hugely impressive moment and an absolute credit to the gentlemen responsible.I observed the Grammar staff warning the boys and instructing them to not take a step on the field after the full time whistle sounded. Of course the eagerness got to the boys and they realised they can't get all in trouble! ahahahaah. It looked like the seniors planned to run on but stay off the field. Eagerness once again drove the student body to run onto the feild to embrace their players.
Personally i had no idea what was wrong with this and was confused to why the Grammar 1st XV was ordering the boys to clear the feild. And why the teachers told the boys to stay back.
It was when the players shook hands at the end of the match did I realise, Players shake hands after a game in any fixture no matter what the game means or who it is between. It was a moment of embarrassment for the Students as they had to quickly back track but a moment of respect for the game of Rugby and Players.
Indeed a Test of character but i doubt the Students will storm the feild again knowing now why its frowned upon.

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
I didn't hear what was said but Churchie supporters were being vocal. However, so too were BGS supporters with both shouts and whistles during the kicks on goal. Don't have any idea where this is coming from, i didn't hear what churchie said, such as 'things about his mother', but there was one occasion where the whole churchie student body let out one big cry as Greene kicked. The Grammar students were quiet during EVERY kick, i can assure you. feel free to point out any whistling during kicks in this http://new.livestream.com/Live-Rugby/events/1027704.
At the 30:30 minute mark in the video you can see the controversal late hit on Greene that allowed Churchie to cross the line.
I'm pleased my live stream is being well used! I'm not sure you'll hear it through that as I've not yet scrubbed through the footage though you can hear it in the audio feed from the camera that was behind the posts.

Nonetheless, the BGS crowd were heard to shout things to the grey-haired touchie (at least a paraphrase, but I believe a direct quote): "You're too old to be a touch judge! Go back to your nursing home gramps!" and later, when the same touchie was bowled over in a try scoring attempt in the corner: "Hey touchie, do we need to go get your wheelchair?". Hardly saintly.This is partially correct, but firstly, the first insult was a member of the public sitting right behind the Grammar students, most likely a Grammar parent, who said, Direct quote, 'You're too old to be a touchie you old fart!' The touchie heard this but just smiled and paid no attention. during the 2nd occurence when the touchie fell over another player, nothing was said as everybody was interesting in whether he had gone out or not. Also the try was dissallowed so i don't think there would have been any reason for an insult to be thrown. It was a showcase of disrespect indeed to insult a man that is doing his best and is more qualified than said person, however when things don't go your or your teams way, fingers are easily pointed at the red.
I definitely heard the latter comment, though it may not have come from the same person. Happy to accept that.

Wheather or not the tackle was legal or not, i think you have to look at the social aspect of the tackle. Greene is the flagship member and star player of Grammar's first XV rugby team. When the opposition, especially their captain and Greene's oposing flyhalf, makes a big hit that could be called illegal on Greene right infront of the Grammar cohort, at what could easily be taken as an attempt to send him off injured. You are asking for trouble. Bias come hugely into play here as everyone want's the game to go their way so I guess we should call it even?

Deal. Even called. The fact we were even discussing it like this to me says the ref can't be bagged for taking the stance he did.

Also, stream works well? Suggestions for improvements welcome :)

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
Also, stream works well? Suggestions for improvements welcome :)

The lag is killing me, It is interesting that you have all 3 sound inputs from each ref. well i assume you do. Maybe just keep it to the main guy.
the quality and distortion of the video is horrible though. I'm not sure how you run it but if you can get the physical camera footage and upload that as a video instead of what you get through the stream. Reason being, the camera footage doesn't have to go to space and back before its uploaded.

Secondly, the video player is shocking. it glitched out and the timer was half way but the game ended. i realised the time i said for the late tackle was 6 or so minutes early as thats what the timer told me. I'ts annoying how you can't skip ahead or back 10 seconds as the circle gets in the way. meaning the minimum you can go back in time is 30-40 seconds.

not sure about the stream whilst the game is on.

and for the page its on, you could use a different background :p

OBS

Bob McCowan (2)
The Downlands game on the GPS bye needs to be taken seriously. If our elite GPS school boy rugby players, many of whom are drawn to Brisbane GPS by the quality of the competition by scholarship or not can't see out an 9 game season without a spell there is little wonder our beloved Wallabies are getting trounced by the committed All Blacks.

Perhaps it may be a round to blood a couple of U16 contenders and give a fringe player a run on, but to mismatch a whole side like a number of schools have done this year is inappropriate and down right disrespectful to the lads on the Range.

Similar comment regarding non contested scrums. If the 1st XV / 16A's / 15A's can't draw on the depth of their "B's" for substitute props at school boy level then Australian rugby has a systemic problem where there is insufficient attention being given to the scrum. This should be addressed by the rugby administrators at the state and national level. Club and schoolboy rugby has a duty of care to teach these boys to scrummage property and not to just throw the portly kid in the front row with little to no instruction & hope he likes it. After all we keep hearing it is one of the most technical positions on the field.

There is little wonder that the Green & Gold scrum is seen as a generational weak point on the international field.

tripod

Stan Wickham (3)
Though BBC put up their 2nd XV as the 1st XV today.

That said, there was some pretty excellent rugby played by Downlands.
Have you or anyone else got the team lists for this game? Would be interesting to see how many of the 1st XV's did actually play and who was injured or rested.

G

GPS fan

The Downlands game on the GPS bye needs to be taken seriously. If our elite GPS school boy rugby players, many of whom are drawn to Brisbane GPS by the quality of the competition by scholarship or not can't see out an 9 game season without a spell there is little wonder our beloved Wallabies are getting trounced by the committed All Blacks.

Perhaps it may be a round to blood a couple of U16 contenders and give a fringe player a run on, but to mismatch a whole side like a number of schools have done this year is inappropriate and down right disrespectful to the lads on the Range.

Similar comment regarding non contested scrums. If the 1st XV / 16A's / 15A's can't draw on the depth of their "B's" for substitute props at school boy level then Australian rugby has a systemic problem where there is insufficient attention being given to the scrum. This should be addressed by the rugby administrators at the state and national level. Club and schoolboy rugby has a duty of care to teach these boys to scrummage property and not to just throw the portly kid in the front row with little to no instruction & hope he likes it. After all we keep hearing it is one of the most technical positions on the field.

There is little wonder that the Green & Gold scrum is seen as a generational weak point on the international field.

This mantra of taking the Downlands game seriously has been going on for years. Whether people on the range like it or not Downlands are not in the GPS system and the game is played on a GPS schools bye round and for most First XV sides it is a week to rest and recuperate. What is remembered is not who beat Downloands but who won the GPS First XV game and overall premiership and that is the hard truth. Of course there is the huge TGS/Downlands game each year and this should go some way in satisfying the Downlands eagerness to be accepted.

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would be interested in Ian Jones GPS (and other) coaching record. If some of the more knowledgable folks on this forum can supply the information, it would be worth a read.

U

Usain Bolt

Good on BSHS for winning their first game. Agree with you Red Black, there were a few scrummaging issues and questionable calls by the ref but BSHS were over them in the end. Does anyone know what happened to the No.10 ??
The BSHS #10 got knocked out. That's what happens when you play a 60kg U16 boy in first XV rugby. Through injury or lack of ability most of the U16 boys in the BSHS first XV who started were soon replaced by the grade 12 boys who had been dropped. That was the difference. GT were very much weakened by injury playing a lot of U16's. Whilst it is good to see BSHS get a win it really was a battle of the wooden spoons and not a high quality game from all accounts. BSHS has a bye then TGS and Churchie. Lets hope the coach will learn from his mistakes and play the best and biggest boys (grade 12 17 and 18 year olds) for the last 2 games. As for GT it can only be as a consequence of injury that they are now so bad after a promising start to the season. BGS v TSS will be a cracker this weekend. Premiership decider for both teams.

G

Getzy

I attended the BSHS vs. GT game yesterday and i couldn't help to notice the unfamiliar faces in the GT backline. Looked to be completely re-shuffled apart from the 9/10 combination of Fowler and Dalgleish, who i must say looked dangerous in the second half. I noticed that Given trotted out for the 2nd XV where he joined several other BSHS boys who had been recently dropped. He played at 10 and controlled the game quite nicely, scoring 13 of the 18 points i believe. The GT firsts displayed one of the worst first halves of GPS rugby i have seen and whilst this could be put down to lack of experience or nerves from the grade 11 inexperienced players, it is up to the coach to select appropriate players which he believes can handle the game at this level.
I feel as though we might be seeing Given back up in the Firsts this week since the outside backs looked almost lost out there not having his familiar guidance.
Gt take on Churchie at Tennyson this week, another bottom of the table clash. If a full strength GT side is assembled, i reckon we might be seeing another loss to Churchie. That being said, we are yet to see Churchie spark, and this might be the weekend we see it. Will be a close game in my oppinion, less than 5 points separating the two sides.

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
The lag is killing me, It is interesting that you have all 3 sound inputs from each ref. well i assume you do. Maybe just keep it to the main guy.
the quality and distortion of the video is horrible though. I'm not sure how you run it but if you can get the physical camera footage and upload that as a video instead of what you get through the stream. Reason being, the camera footage doesn't have to go to space and back before its uploaded.

Secondly, the video player is shocking. it glitched out and the timer was half way but the game ended. i realised the time i said for the late tackle was 6 or so minutes early as thats what the timer told me. I'ts annoying how you can't skip ahead or back 10 seconds as the circle gets in the way. meaning the minimum you can go back in time is 30-40 seconds.

not sure about the stream whilst the game is on.

and for the page its on, you could use a different background :p

Bummer. Unfortunately not a lot of that stuff is stuff we can tweak. This is the first I've heard of the errors with the player itself - most ppl are saying it is pretty stable. I'll put my feelers out wider to see if we can replicate the error. I'm getting it fine at both work and home.

In terms of the background... well... not my decision sorry! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.