• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
ScreenHunter_002.jpg

I noticed Joshua Flately is playing fullback for TSS U14A.

Josh is son of former Wallaby flyhalf Elton Flately who is Nudgee old boy.

If he is anything like his famous dad, TSS may be premiers 2016.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
GT to give BBC a big scare however the College have proved they are a second half team and will sort their shit out in the second half.

TSS to win against ACGS, they will be aware of the shortcomings of the Churchie pack and I would be looking at playing gainline Footy, not giving Churchie an opportunity to unleash their potent backline in particular old mate at #12 who is devastating in contact.

BGS to beat IGS but not comfortably
NC to beat BSHS by 15 after things are close early. BSHS have plenty of fight but seem to be lacking in the composure department.

TGS v DC... only predicting lots of fights to turn up on my facebook news feed at approximately 5pm

Also still remember the old Gordon Bray line.. the four year old Josh Flatley watching on in the stands. Good on his son for playing footy

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Predictions for this weekend?
Ok, although my predictions for last week were not that great.........

ACGS vs TSS: Should be close, but maybe not. Southport should have a better all round team and should take it. I think most of the schools have figured out that Churchie overly rely on their inside backs and will now focus on shutting them down. TSS by 12

BSHS vs NC: State high have a spirited team full of fighters, but NC should have too much strength and class. NC by 18

GT vs BBC: BBC are definitely one of the best attacking teams in the comp this year. However, GT, at home may just shut them down defensively enough to take this one. I think it will come down to who wants it more and the red and black at Tennyson may continue to surprise. GT by 7

BGS vs IGS: Grammar at home should win, but with the way things are going this year.......who knows? BGS by 12

Gotta love the competition this year, all debates about scholarships aside. QLD GPS, easily the most interesting and competitive schoolboy comp in Australia.

Good luck to all the teams and schools...luvin it in 2013!

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I couldn't agree more, the competition is competitive, the games are all thrillers... I have to say I just love watching the schoolboy footy on a Saturday afternoon. Great past time rugby.

The best part is that teams always win the way god intended - on tries, not kicks! Bring on the weekend

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
GT to give BBC a big scare however the College have proved they are a second half team and will sort their shit out in the second half.

TSS to win against ACGS, they will be aware of the shortcomings of the Churchie pack and I would be looking at playing gainline Footy, not giving Churchie an opportunity to unleash their potent backline in particular old mate at #12 who is devastating in contact.

BGS to beat IGS but not comfortably
NC to beat BSHS by 15 after things are close early. BSHS have plenty of fight but seem to be lacking in the composure department.

TGS v DC. only predicting lots of fights to turn up on my facebook news feed at approximately 5pm

Also still remember the old Gordon Bray line.. the four year old Josh Flatley watching on in the stands. Good on his son for playing footy
Dang spike..you beat me too it. Though I am slighty more pessimistic about my alma mater BBC. Would love to see them win though and continue to push for a historic top of the table finish

TSSMUM

Frank Row (1)
Hey guys your favourite tipster is back this weekend to tell you what i think about this weekends matches.

Before i get into my tips for this weekend i am gonna talk about the key i believe that will win and loss matches.

i believe that BBC's #12 will have it over GT's #12 due to him having more power, agility and speed. the tackling of GT's #12 has been very poor latley and he has been dropping off alot of tackles.

I think that TSS will have it over ACGS in the back row with TSS having a class backrow and ACGS missing digger greatly.

My tips for this weekend:
ACGS vs TSS: TSS by 15. going to be too good and TSS are going to come out firing after last weeks loss.

GT vs BBC: GT by 5. The underdogs in this one but if GT's Back row can fire unlike last weekend they will win, but if not BBC's electric backs will be to much for GT's backs.

BSHS vs NC. NC by 25. After last week showing that they are premiership hopefuls i think that they will be way to good for BSHS.

BGS vs IGS. IGS by 15. Both teams having a horrible season so far and BGS sturggling with injurys and thats why i believe IGS will get up in this one.

TGS vs Downlands. TGS by 10. dont really care who wins just want to see another rippa fight. love ma footy up the range.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I would like to add that for BBC to continue to win games they need to sort the shit out with their first half defense. They have periods where they defend very well and periods where they leak in multiple tries.

Taking a closer look, against Nudgee in the first half it was even for about 15 minutes, BBC scored and then Nudgee hit back with 3 quick tries within 10 minutes.

The same happened at Churchie - scored first and then started leaking, again three first half tries. Up 17 - 0 at half time at toowoomba they let in two soft tries to let them right back into the game. If it isn't addressed sooner or later it's going to cost them a game (and the premiership)

I have noticed that it typically takes Tom Barker and co having a half time meeting to sort it out... they play tighter in the second half and have closed out games (apart from Nudgee).

If I was at GT this week I would be targeting this in a big way. GT need to put all kinds of pressure on in the first half, develop a big lead and then defend it like their lives depend on it.

Also I don't understand the decision to play McLean for seconds. IMO the current right wing is poor under the high ball and prone to making stupid knock ons and to my knowledge hasn't been good in attack anyway. Stick Mclean in and he will finish what Bowyer and Russel start in midfield please.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I would like to add that for BBC to continue to win games they need to sort the shit out with their first half defense. They have periods where they defend very well and periods where they leak in multiple tries.

Taking a closer look, against Nudgee in the first half it was even for about 15 minutes, BBC scored and then Nudgee hit back with 3 quick tries within 10 minutes.

The same happened at Churchie - scored first and then started leaking, again three first half tries. Up 17 - 0 at half time at toowoomba they let in two soft tries to let them right back into the game. If it isn't addressed sooner or later it's going to cost them a game (and the premiership)

I have noticed that it typically takes Tom Barker and co having a half time meeting to sort it out. they play tighter in the second half and have closed out games (apart from Nudgee).

If I was at GT this week I would be targeting this in a big way. GT need to put all kinds of pressure on in the first half, develop a big lead and then defend it like their lives depend on it.

Also I don't understand the decision to play McLean for seconds. IMO the current right wing is poor under the high ball and prone to making stupid knock ons and to my knowledge hasn't been good in attack anyway. Stick Mclean in and he will finish what Bowyer and Russel start in midfield please.
Mate, you could be spot on there. I wish I could view these matches but as I live in the US I can only go by what I pick up on this thread. Really wish we could get more games online like last years match between NC and BGS. Watched it live at 5am in the morning.

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
Round 5 Overview:

ACGS V TSS
The neat as a pin, always smiling, but quietly fuming Churchie crowd will be rooting for an upset here. Once again they seem to be writing a few rugby cheques that their bodies can't cash. It'll be no different on Saturday, as TSS win the breakdown and send the Range Rovers scurrying to a shady champagne tent at a nearby Polo Match.

BSHS v NC
State High might go close here. NC played a Mini-GF last week and don't be surprised if a couple of the Blue & White Stars are carrying injuries into this.
If State High use their backs and stretch the NC defence then anything could happen. Some one might even smack that silly, blue bear that runs around at every NC match. Never know your luck.

GT v BBC
The god fearing Black & Reds will be doing everything known to mankind to put the Toowong lads off their game. If I was the BBC team I wouldn't be grabbing my lunch from the GT tuckshop prior to the game. (It could be shades of the Allblacks at the SA World Cup). BBC aren't that sure what to do on top of the table and if they worry about this too much they could be mid- table by the end of this. GT to give them a healthy dose of slap and tickle but the College to get away with it.

BGS v IGS
This game is a bit like the Afghanistan conflict. We know it's happening, but we would rather not go and we're not sure who deserves to win. That said IGS will be smarting and they have a pretty good team. BGS aren't what they were last year and have had the week off - which might just go against them. IGS to lob a few hand grenades early and sneak away from Northgate with a win under their kaftan.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
I was at the game on Saturday and both 6 and 7 were relatively tall and lanky. Joel Brown, who played 8, is probably the one who's most built like Pocock being shorter and thicker. Plays with red headgear.

I was also there and checking out the loose forwards from both teams. I don't know their names but the 'Pocock-frame' player was wearing 8 but playing flanker. I'm sure I saw him playing both blind and open side but I could be wrong. The no.6 was playing 8 but I'm happy to stand corrected.

Joel was very mobile around the ground and wasn't afraid to get involved. I thought he played very well.

Edit: I Just noticed the posts that were posted just before - thanks for clarifying.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Round 5 Overview:

ACGS V TSS
The neat as a pin, always smiling, but quietly fuming Churchie crowd will be rooting for an upset here. Once again they seem to be writing a few rugby cheques that their bodies can't cash. It'll be no different on Saturday, as TSS win the breakdown and send the Range Rovers scurrying to a shady champagne tent at a nearby Polo Match.

BSHS v NC
State High might go close here. NC played a Mini-GF last week and don't be surprised if a couple of the Blue & White Stars are carrying injuries into this.
If State High use their backs and stretch the NC defence then anything could happen. Some one might even smack that silly, blue bear that runs around at every NC match. Never know your luck.

GT v BBC
The god fearing Black & Reds will be doing everything known to mankind to put the Toowong lads off their game. If I was the BBC team I wouldn't be grabbing my lunch from the GT tuckshop prior to the game. (It could be shades of the Allblacks at the SA World Cup). BBC aren't that sure what to do on top of the table and if they worry about this too much they could be mid- table by the end of this. GT to give them a healthy dose of slap and tickle but the College to get away with it.

BGS v IGS
This game is a bit like the Afghanistan conflict. We know it's happening, but we would rather not go and we're not sure who deserves to win. That said IGS will be smarting and they have a pretty good team. BGS aren't what they were last year and have had the week off - which might just go against them. IGS to lob a few hand grenades early and sneak away from Northgate with a win under their kaftan.

Gold!
Gotta say I'm really appreciating the good natured, tongue-in-cheek, yet well thought out predictions we are seeing on the thread this year.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I noticed Joshua Flately is playing fullback for TSS U14A.

Josh is son of former Wallaby flyhalf Elton Flately who is Nudgee old boy.

If he is anything like his famous dad, TSS may be premiers 2016.

Those are some good genetics but that's a very early call. In coming years I wonder what rep duties will come his way.

As for this weekend:
GT v BBC: Expecting a real dog fight between these two teams that both believe they are better than the other. The BBC backs are a real handful, particularly Bowyer and Russell in the midfield, if GT can shut them down they will have a chance. BBC are confident and the #8 led the side brilliantly from the front last week, the boys in boaters by 10.

ACGS v TSS: Never really know which ACGS team will show up these days. Be careful to write them off however I think TSS will rebound from last weeks loss and put the nail in the ACGS 2013 premiership coffin. Clifton, Brown, Papworth, Upfield and Lyon will be the difference against a seriously weak ACGS pack. TSS by 12.

BSHS v NC: Nudgee are coming off a big win over the premiership favourites and should account for BSHS. Provided Tuttle gets good service from Pilz, the NC back line will be too strong and clinical but expect these two rivals to go toe to toe. Watch out for BSHS #10. Should be close, NC by 7

BGS v IGS: IGS have been a long way off the mark so far this year. Whilst BGS haven't been spectacular they should be able to win this one comfortably. IGS have key players littered all over the team sheet so BGS will have to be wary and keep an eye on the error count. BGS by 20+

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
Those are some good genetics but that's a very early call. In coming years I wonder what rep duties will come his way.

As for this weekend:
GT v BBC: Expecting a real dog fight between these two teams that both believe they are better than the other. The BBC backs are a real handful, particularly Bowyer and Russell in the midfield, if GT can shut them down they will have a chance. BBC are confident and the #8 led the side brilliantly from the front last week, the boys in boaters by 10.

ACGS v TSS: Never really know which ACGS team will show up these days. Be careful to write them off however I think TSS will rebound from last weeks loss and put the nail in the ACGS 2013 premiership coffin. Clifton, Brown, Papworth, Upfield and Lyon will be the difference against a seriously weak ACGS pack. TSS by 12.

BSHS v NC: Nudgee are coming off a big win over the premiership favourites and should account for BSHS. Provided Tuttle gets good service from Pilz, the NC back line will be too strong and clinical but expect these two rivals to go toe to toe. Watch out for BSHS #10. Should be close, NC by 7

BGS v IGS: IGS have been a long way off the mark so far this year. Whilst BGS haven't been spectacular they should be able to win this one comfortably. IGS have key players littered all over the team sheet so BGS will have to be wary and keep an eye on the error count. BGS by 20+

Light, I agree with you on the top 3, but I don't think you are giving the lads from the Far Eastern Darling Downs enough respect.
The Switchers only just lost to Terrace and to State High (who rolled Churchie and were not far off BBC). It'll be close I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.