• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

High cut boots

Frank Nicholson (4)
Enough talk about questionable reffering and poor behaviour on the side line gents. Ends here

I watched the BBC vs GT hame today and was impressed by GT's work in the forwards. In particular, Mcnamee and Wilson, who were the the workhorses of the team. BBC's Gunter was particularly impresive, constantally ripping balls and causing havoc in the breakdowns. How he isn't a starting forward astound me! BBC's Bowen had an absolute shocker in all aspects of the game, a credit to outside backs Larosa and Te Rupe, who constantly put pressure on his usually slick game. BBC will be sweating on the result of *12, Russel, who appeared to go off halfway through the 2nd half. (with what looked like an ankle injury?) He was easily there best back, regularly made line breaks and creating half chances.

The old GT vs NC at Ross oval should be a cracker!
Agree whole heartedly but believe Moroney pilfered as much ball as Macnamee, and some vital steals when BBC attacking the Terrace line. Was surprised how bad the BBC line out was in the first half think it cost them big time.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Nudgee 55 v BSH 0, this is a seriously one sided score, does anyone have a report considering people were tipping BSH to win. Are Nudgee back or was it just a poor BSH side. I suspect Nudgee have found some form beating TSS on their home ground and flogging BSH at Carina. Exciting times at Boondall next week with the annual grudge match against GT.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Terrace are definitely on the rise and will be right up there in 2014 but Nudgee just has to much class over the paddock. Not to mention the fortress that is Ross Oval
Ross Oval isn't a fortress. BGS, Churchie and (correct me if I'm wrong) TSS have won there in the past two seasons.

As for class over the paddock - having watched Nudgee play this year I'm not sure they actually have that much. Solid players, yes, but I don't think they're really of the class of other years. I'd say Tuttle and Mafi are classy footballers, not so much the rest. Terrace probably don't have the same firepower, but blokes like Fowler, Te-Rupe, McNamee and Larosa are nothing to be sneezed at. I expect a close game, Terrace have got to win sometime. That said, I said the same thing about the Wallabies about three hours ago and look where that went.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm not too sure how you tipped this but it has blown my mind! Great stuff
Ahhhhhh....it's what I do. Seriously, these two go at each other like the brother schools they are, no different than NC -v- GT will be next week. Since 2003, there have been about 4-5 draws between TSS and ACGS. I thought the loss of Mason and his direction would have told - and it seemed to have. macMillan must have taken the first half to get his second wind and then added some spark in the second half.
If I'm on a roll, how about this one, NC win by 2 next week over GT.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
BBC look to have fantastic lower age groups - particularly impressed by the size and skill level of their 13A's.

Went out to Tennyson to have a look at the younger grades and then caught the Firsts.

Spikhaza - that was terrific refereeing in the 14C match. I saw you make a couple of v. good calls and the penalty try was almost in front of me and I thought you were spot on. Wish I knew it was you at the time. Very professional imo.

I was watching the 13A game, so had my back to the 14A game. Did not hear any of the rubbish reported on here (doesn't mean it did or did not happen) but the crowd was definitely getting exciteable during the match. Spoke to a GT lad in the team and his father later in the day and while disappointed they were not getting caught up with the refereeing decisions and said that they had to learn from the losses. So it was a surprise to hear about what happened so close to me at the game on here tonight.

Sabanator - I had heard a lot about the BBC 13A's (and 14A's and 15A's) this season, and while they had size I thought they could have executed better. They were down 26 nil half way through the second half and just could not get in the game until one of the GT loose forwards who had caused a bit of damage came off injured. The BBC 5/8 controlled the game well from there and was helped by the massive inside centre with the team scoring 3 late tries but ran out of time. I also had an eye on the 15A's game and saw Phil White chewing his nails when GT threatened a couple of times to score the winning try in the last minutes and was relieved to hear the final whistle.

A lot has been said about the Firsts game and the only thing to add would be the try that Partridge scored on the wing after beautiful draw and pass from Tu-Repe. Partridge seemed well covered by BBC outside backs and then found another gear which was almost freakish where in an instant he put a two metres gap from the closest defender. All around me were in disbelief at the speed Partridge generated. BBC seemed to take the game too lightly, possibly thinking towards a premiership game against TSS in the last round, and GT seemed to want it all that more. Never an "easy" match in the comp this year.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Ye
Went out to Tennyson to have a look at the younger grades and then caught the Firsts.

Spikhaza - that was terrific refereeing in the 14C match. I saw you make a couple of v. good calls and the penalty try was almost in front of me and I thought you were spot on. Wish I knew it was you at the time. Very professional imo.

I was watching the 13A game, so had my back to the 14A game. Did not hear any of the rubbish reported on here (doesn't mean it did or did not happen) but the crowd was definitely getting exciteable during the match. Spoke to a GT lad in the team and his father later in the day and while disappointed they were not getting caught up with the refereeing decisions and said that they had to learn from the losses. So it was a surprise to hear about what happened so close to me at the game on here tonight.

Sabanator - I had heard a lot about the BBC 13A's (and 14A's and 15A's) this season, and while they had size I thought they could have executed better. They were down 26 nil half way through the second half and just could not get in the game until one of the GT loose forwards who had caused a bit of damage came off injured. The BBC 5/8 controlled the game well from there and was helped by the massive inside centre. I also had an eye on the 15A's game and saw Phil White chewing his nails when GT threatened a couple of times to score the winning try in the last minutes and was relieved to hear the final whistle.

A lot has been said about the Firsts game and the only thing to add would be the try that Partridge scored on the wing after beautiful draw and pass from Tu-Repe. Partridge seemed well covered by BBC outside backs and then found another gear which was almost freakish where in an instant he put a two metres gap from the closest defender. All around me were in disbelief at the speed Partridge generated. BBC seemed to take the game too lightly, possibly thinking towards a premiership game against TSS in the last round, and GT seemed to want it all that more. Never an "easy" match in the comp this year.

Yes, BBC still have tough games against IGS and BGS before TSS and could quite easily see what some thought was going to be a great year turn into a " normal BBC year" by the end of the season.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I was lucky enough to be at Tennyson today and witness a terrace team who play for each other and their school. I was impressed with the work rate of #1 Wilson for terrace who must have the highest work rate for any prop in GPS. Mcnamee #7 is the best 7 in the comp easily with up to 5+ breakdown turnovers, # 5 sester had a cracker with making big meters every time he ran. Gt are back and I think they will get up over nudgee this weekend also their captain #9 fowler is the best 9 in the comp and #14 partridge scored one of the best tries I have seen at terrace for many years.

Judging by the general gist of your post I'd suggest either the sample size is very small or you forgot to remove the red & black glasses prior to posting.

I can honestly say this is the first time in years that I have seen such optimistic, happy Terrace posters on these forums. Whilst it is important to make hay while the sun shines, you should also be very careful as it takes more than a few good games to get a reputation. Terrace are still considered a weak rugby school, and that will remain the case until they can consistently perform and start challenging for the title. I am happy that they are winning and showing promising signs for the future, just don't get too carried away by a victory over BBC. Nudgee will be the real test and if they come out on top then I will take my hat off to them and the improvement their rugby program has made in the last few years.

Until then lets settle down.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ross Oval isn't a fortress. BGS, Churchie and (correct me if I'm wrong) TSS have won there in the past two seasons.

Yes, but none of those schools are St Joseph's Gregory Terrace. There is something special when GT play NC. GT haven't won at Ross since 1981 and IMO that makes them the underdogs.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can I just take a moment to comment on the quality of Mitch Third.

The kid is a huge talent and one of the better schoolboy rugby players I have seen in the last few years. His game is so balanced and well structured and maybe it was assisted by the dominance of the TSS forward pack today but it was not hard to see why the guy is playing Australian Schoolboys. Had my eye on him since he was playing in the 10A's, appears his game has come on in leaps and bounds since then.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Well done to Gregory Terrace First XV today - they out-enthused, out-hustled and out-played BBC in all departments, and looked as though they wanted it so much more.
A good day all round with the spoils shared - BBC in the 14As, 15As, 16As and Seconds, GT in the Firsts and 13s.
Congrats to the BBC 14As holding on against the previously undefeated GT team - it is a pity that the game was overshadowed by the deplorable behavior of the Gregory Terrace spectators and parents . Continual harassment of the referee, abusing and cajoling her, and calling the BBC boys , amongst other things, "spearchuckers", completely spoiled the enjoyment of the game for all around. Given an example like that, it shouldn't have been a surprise to hear some of the students use the same term as the BBC First XV ran on to the field - they should hang their heads in shame !
Disgraceful display by GT parents at 14A game . I felt ashamed. To be involved in GPS system . Notice they did not call 1 and 13 in Gt 1sts " spear chuckers". Only 8 years ago Will Genia was a spear chucker. For BBC and 6 years ago. So was Dane Gagai who will play for kangaroos this year . PNG boys and aboriginal boys have been coming to BBC for 50 years

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nudgee 55 v BSH 0, this is a seriously one sided score, does anyone have a report considering people were tipping BSH to win. Are Nudgee back or was it just a poor BSH side. I suspect Nudgee have found some form beating TSS on their home ground and flogging BSH at Carina. Exciting times at Boondall next week with the annual grudge match against GT.
Nudgee outplayed and outmuscled BSHS in all departments. Nudgee maintained possession most of the game and effectively shut down BSHS backline. When BSHS did gain possession, apart from a couple of good breaks, they rarely crossed Nudgee's advantage line. Nudgee's unrelenting pressure caused too many errors from the BSHS boys. While the scrums and lineouts were even, BSHS forwards appeared flat and tired and seemed content to leave most of the tackling to BSHS no 10, and 15, possibly 2 of the lightest players on the field. Credit to the Nudgee boys but a disappointing performance from BSHS.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Disgraceful display by GT parents at 14A game . I felt ashamed. To be involved in GPS system . Notice they did not call 1 and 13 in Gt 1sts " spear chuckers". Only 8 years ago Will Genia was a spear chucker. For BBC and 6 years ago. So was Dane Gagai who will play for kangaroos this year . PNG boys and aboriginal boys have been coming to BBC for 50 years

I think you mean #3. I would be very surprised if they called #1 Sam Wilson a spearchucker. This just goes to show that you have no idea what you are talking about

OfInterest

Frank Row (1)
Nudgee outplayed and outmuscled BSHS in all departments. Nudgee maintained possession most of the game and effectively shut down BSHS backline. When BSHS did gain possession, apart from a couple of good breaks, they rarely crossed Nudgee's advantage line. Nudgee's unrelenting pressure caused too many errors from the BSHS boys. While the scrums and lineouts were even, BSHS forwards appeared flat and tired and seemed content to leave most of the tackling to BSHS no 10, and 15, possibly 2 of the lightest players on the field. Credit to the Nudgee boys but a disappointing performance from BSHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.