• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Aus 1's
Alex Mafi - NC
Mitch Third - TSS

2's
Carlin Anderson - IGS
Joel Brown - TSS
Sam Clifton - TSS
Matt Gibbon - NC
Evander Guttenbeil - TSS
Landon Hayes - IGS
Maclean Jones - NC
Liam Jurd - TGS
Douglas MacMillan - ACGS
James Todd - IGS
James Tuttle - NC*** - Cheers BG.

Former GPS - Lolo Fakaosilea (BBC 2012)

Just a quick comment that I think there are a fair few boys in QLD GPS that should feel unlucky not to have made it (Russell, Tanuvasa, Bowyer. etc). Unfortunately with the new dates of the competition most guys wouldn't have had the same preparation that those from other states and competitions had.

Can't remember the last time QLD had only two players in the Aus schools team, it is very concerning but easily explained.

Also, there are 4 players from Qld AIC who made the Aus 1 team.

Lolo Fakaosilea, Moses Sorovi, Adrian Henley, Brad Wilken.

QLD well represented imo.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
How has joey fittock been going for TSS?

TSSimports1.jpg

I believe he started TSS this year.

NCGPSRUGBY2012

Bob McCowan (2)
Aus 1's
Alex Mafi - NC
Mitch Third - TSS

2's
Carlin Anderson - IGS
Joel Brown - TSS
Sam Clifton - TSS
Matt Gibbon - NC
Evander Guttenbeil - TSS
Landon Hayes - IGS
Maclean Jones - NC
Liam Jurd - TGS
Douglas MacMillan - ACGS
James Todd - IGS

Just a quick comment that I think there are a fair few boys in QLD GPS that should feel unlucky not to have made it (Russell, Tanuvasa, Bowyer. etc). Unfortunately with the new dates of the competition most guys wouldn't have had the same preparation that those from other states and competitions had.

Can't remember the last time QLD had only two players in the Aus schools team, it is very concerning but easily explained.
Are you surprised to see James Tuttle make Australian rep Light? Although a very able and consistent player, I am not to sure he is of Australian Schoolboy standard even in the 2's. IMO he is the 3rd best fly half in the GPS (behind Third and the Churchie #10 although I have only seen him play once). Thoughts Light?

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Are you surprised to see James Tuttle make Australian rep Light? Although a very able and consistent player, I am not to sure he is of Australian Schoolboy standard even in the 2's. IMO he is the 3rd best fly half in the GPS (behind Third and the Churchie #10 although I have only seen him play once). Thoughts Light?
I've seen him play a fair bit. He has great control of his outside backs and is a leader on the paddock. He's skilful and has consistently made rep teams growing up, shouldn't be a surprise to see him with top rep honours

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm hearing on the vine that a number of 15A games have been cancelled for this week .. inc Nudgee - Terrace and I would dare say the games involving TGS and Downlands, as they would provide the bulk of the Darling Downs side. Also hearing some very experienced referees appointed to the Nudgee - Terrace deciders - maybe #refabit or #oldref can confirm?

Have heard it was just the 15A game with nudgee forfeiting as they have something like 8 players out for rep. Quite stupid in my opinion, why not just let the boys from the Bs play up for a week, who knows they might even snatch a win. Its not like its hurting anyone, a chance at a win is better than no chance. Would be very possible regarding downlands/TGS aswell

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Have heard it was just the 15A game with nudgee forfeiting as they have something like 8 players out for rep. Quite stupid in my opinion, why not just let the boys from the Bs play up for a week, who knows they might even snatch a win. Its not like its hurting anyone, a chance at a win is better than no chance. Would be very possible regarding downlands/TGS aswell
8 players is more than half a team champ. This is just an example of terrace wanting to unfairly snatch a win from nc..If gt had 8 players at rep trials they would do the same.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
8 players is more than half a team champ. This is just an example of terrace wanting to unfairly snatch a win from nc..If gt had 8 players at rep trials they would do the same.

Did you not read the post? Terrace are getting the win 100% because Nudgee forfeited. If Nudgee played a team then they would have a chance at winning.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Oh sorry mate holy hell that's ridiculous...why can't they reschedule the game of something? I believe this kind of thing happened last yr in one match. Not sure which one. On the other hand, moving 8 players up to the a's then disrupts your entire age group..every team is affected and playing structures are destroyed, creating a huge mess for coaches

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Oh sorry mate holy hell that's ridiculous...why can't they reschedule the game of something? I believe this kind of thing happened last yr in one match. Not sure which one. On the other hand, moving 8 players up to the a's then disrupts your entire age group..every team is affected and playing structures are destroyed, creating a huge mess for coaches

guildford

Peter Burge (5)
I'm hearing on the vine that a number of 15A games have been cancelled for this week .. inc Nudgee - Terrace and I would dare say the games involving TGS and Downlands, as they would provide the bulk of the Darling Downs side. Also hearing some very experienced referees appointed to the Nudgee - Terrace deciders - maybe #refabit or #oldref can confirm?

There will be a current Premier grade ref doing the firsts GT v NC game. The significance of the game as a possible premiership decider is well understood by the QRRA.
In my opinion forfeiting a 15 A game because of Rep commitments makes a mockery of GPS schoolboy rugby. Nudgee should run out the best team they can put on the field and accept whatever result they get. Ludicrous

morelando bloom

Peter Burge (5)
Oh sorry mate holy hell that's ridiculous.why can't they reschedule the game of something? I believe this kind of thing happened last yr in one match. Not sure which one. On the other hand, moving 8 players up to the a's then disrupts your entire age group..every team is affected and playing structures are destroyed, creating a huge mess for coaches

Morgan and Pat, quit the bickering. We know Morgan's blue blood is gonna come through thick and fast this week.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
There will be a current Premier grade ref doing the firsts GT v NC game. The significance of the game as a possible premiership decider is well understood by the QRRA.
In my opinion forfeiting a 15 A game because of Rep commitments makes a mockery of GPS schoolboy rugby. Nudgee should run out the best team they can put on the field and accept whatever result they get. Ludicrous

What I find ludicrous is that rep trials or whatever they are were put on a Saturday during the GPS season. Piss poor planning.

I think you'll find Terrace - Nudgee gets a fairly high calibre referee every year, considering the 100+ years of acrimony between the schools, significance of the game, size of the crowd, old boys reliving their youth etc

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Aus 1's
Alex Mafi - NC
Mitch Third - TSS

2's
Carlin Anderson - IGS
Joel Brown - TSS
Sam Clifton - TSS
Matt Gibbon - NC
Evander Guttenbeil - TSS
Landon Hayes - IGS
Maclean Jones - NC
Liam Jurd - TGS
Douglas MacMillan - ACGS
James Todd - IGS

Not sure if it's just me, but it seems there have been quite a few injuries to the GPS boys in Aus A.

Landon Hayes, Liam Jurd, Digger MacMillan (who just got back), and Evander Guttenbeil is struggling with an injury to his right arm if my sources are correct. He first injured it against Nudgee in a big tackle on Jayden Rodwell, and I hear he went off injured against Churchie last week. It's sad that these GPS superstars are missing so much of their final seasons.

I believe Landon Hayes and Liam Jurd are both out for the season and the game against Fiji in September, so it wouldn't surprise me if a few more players were included into the squad in the coming weeks.

On a side note, I was under the impression Nudgee Loosehead Gavin Luka was also in the Australia A side.

I'm of the opinion that Rugby and Soccer should be switched around, if only to give the quality players in the GPS Rugby competition the opportunity to compete properly for representative honours.

I'm friendly with quite a few "Football" players from Grammar who tell me that the only way for them to get selected for a rep side is through club soccer appearances. It's the opposite case for the Rugby players, whose school success is their make it or break it opportunity.

Given the disproportionate numbers of GPS rugby players who go on to represent State, Country, and Super Rugby sides as opposed to GPS soccer players, why not switch them around for the benefit of the boys.

If Soccer doesn't give a rats about school performance, let the Rugby boys who are devoted to it have a crack at term 2.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not sure if it's just me, but it seems there have been quite a few injuries to the GPS boys in Aus A.

Landon Hayes, Liam Jurd, Digger MacMillan (who just got back), and Evander Guttenbeil is struggling with an injury to his right arm if my sources are correct. He first injured it against Nudgee in a big tackle on Jayden Rodwell, and I hear he went off injured against Churchie last week. It's sad that these GPS superstars are missing so much of their final seasons.

I believe Landon Hayes and Liam Jurd are both out for the season and the game against Fiji in September, so it wouldn't surprise me if a few more players were included into the squad in the coming weeks.

On a side note, I was under the impression Nudgee Loosehead Gavin Luka was also in the Australia A side.

I'm of the opinion that Rugby and Soccer should be switched around, if only to give the quality players in the GPS Rugby competition the opportunity to compete properly for representative honours.

I'm friendly with quite a few "Football" players from Grammar who tell me that the only way for them to get selected for a rep side is through club soccer appearances. It's the opposite case for the Rugby players, whose school success is their make it or break it opportunity.

Given the disproportionate numbers of GPS rugby players who go on to represent State, Country, and Super Rugby sides as opposed to GPS soccer players, why not switch them around for the benefit of the boys.

If Soccer doesn't give a rats about school performance, let the Rugby boys who are devoted to it have a crack at term 2.
So so true

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ah, appears as if I have re-ignited the old Soccer v Rugby debate. Should we be calling it football? Eh, I don't really care.

It makes sense that rugby is in term 2 but I can't see them changing it back anytime soon after such a drastic change only a year ago. There is obviously some sort of motivation behind moving it in the first place and I'd have to doubt that it is purely for the benefit of soccer. I know that participation numbers are up in that sport this year, whether that has anything to do with the moving of rugby will remain to be seen. There is obviously some sort of internal rivalry between the two codes that has existed for years in regards to field allocation and to an extent budgets/funding. Most GPS schools I can think of have adequate facilities to play both codes on the same day but just have a preference from an Old Boy's perspective to play rugby on the Main Oval.

I'd bet my bottom dollar if rugby had been in term two that QLD GPS schools would have a few more guys playing Aus schools, that's just historical evidence. Maybe this year is low on talent but I'd argue that isn't the case. Had rugby been in term two there would also be a reduction in the amount of players selected from under-performing schools (i.e IGS) and instead given to blokes who have been performing all season for sides at the top of the table. That being said, it is easy to look good in a dominant side so it depends which side you want to look at it.

Regardless, I am sure the blokes behind the move will be aware of the situation and make the appropriate ramifications. In the mean time, we should just sit back and enjoy the quality rugby that the competition has to offer. Even if some of the QLD boys don't make schoolboy honours you can rest assured they will rise to the top in club rugby and find a path that way.

Australian schoolboys representation isn't the be-all-and-end-all.

Status
Not open for further replies.