• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
They are not repeating: they will be back because they are in grade 11 and 2 in grade 10.

Heard Barker say on Saturday" you know in 2 years time Gunther will be bigger stronger , faster , meaner and tougher than Junior / Lolo was!." Philpotts laughed and licked his lips"
that is scary . Shit they are big in country NSW
He's already 10 kg's bigger.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
BBC no 10 is very good but if you have a look at the replay of the game the reason why his double pump worked so well was that the number 8 was coming like a steam train 1/2 a metre to his right and 1/2 a metre behind him & screaming for the ball.If you look at the replay of the game the no 10 blew 3 tries as he had support from a flying Quik (who was unmarked ) and stepped back in or tried to run over the tackler and the play broke down(white line fever at its best)..
BBC definitely took their foot off the pedal after going 27-0 up, often happens in schoolboys. The first 20 minutes of Saturday's game was as one sided a game as I have seen for a long time.
The scoreline could have easily been a 60+ differential, if not for this and the uncontested scrums.

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
3 rounds to go punters.
Obviously NC look to be in the box seat. But have a bye, so they should finish on 14. Unless the Switch spring a surprise!? I'll come back to that.
BBC have the bye this week. And will finish on 12 if they roll IGS and TSS at home in the last games.
TSS will fall short 0f 14 even if they win the last 3 (inc. BBC at Toowong), they will finish on 11 or 13.
GT will win 2 out of the last 3 at least so should finish on 10, if they beat ACGS they could share a premiership.
ACGS can only finish on 11. Even if they beat GT.

If you were TSS, BBC and GT you would be cheering on the Switch this week against the Butchers, because if they cause the upset BBC and TSS (in the last round) would playing for the premiership - BBC to share with NC (and possibly GT) and TSS would be playing to win it outright.

It's not over till the big fat lady grabs the microphone and belts one out....

1st XV POINTS LADDER
NC 10
BBC 8
TSS 7
GT 6
ACGS 5
BSHS 4
IGS 4
BGS 2
TGS 2

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The boy in green headgear is cousin of Josh Bowen-Boyer . There is another one coming next year. There are Bowens relatives everywhere at BBC. If only uncle Matt would quit the cowboys and come down and coach. A lot of good judges are saying this boy is best footballer at BBC .he will be in 1sts somewhere next year. Fullback or fly half????

Are they by any chance related to Khaele Bowen? an IGS boy from a few years back (2011?) who was an outstanding fullback for QLD.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Some photos from TSS v BSHS

Issak Fines-Leleiwasa scores

10410554024_3a68b7e112_b_d.jpg

Huge 'don't argue' from Nili Fielea

10410304365_068597bd86_b_d.jpg

Mitch Third makes a break
10410611334_5abc7d22b3_b_d.jpg

More photos at this link

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Bronson is u17 . wonder what it would take for him to return for a shot at Aus schools and a GPS premiership.

So you have heard the rumour as well. He has been told that it all depends on academic results - there never has been and never will be a free ride at BBC. Just ask Dane Gagai ( now at Newcastle with Bennett) who got an academic award in year 12 while playing for QLD in both league and rugby.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Are they by any chance related to Khaele Bowen? an IGS boy from a few years back (2011?) who was an outstanding fullback for QLD.

If they can run like the wind and are from Cairns or Townsville you can bet they are.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
Just a quick insight into the unknown strength of the GT rugby program.
So far this season the Blue and White have faced 6 other GPS schools and again shown clear dominance as the top of the Queensland GPS.
Round 1 (BGS)- Nudgee lost 2 games
Round 2 (BBC)- Nudgee lost 1 game (BBC won 2 others that i don't count because BBC C/D teams were playing Nudgee E/F teams)
Round 3 (ACGS)- Nudgee lost 2 games
Round 4 (TSS)- Nudgee lost 10 games and drew 2
Round 5 (BSHS)- Nudgee lost 2 games
and finally in Round 6 they met (GT) losing 9 games and drew 2.
Who would have thought that GT would have the second best result as a school.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
Also in round 1 against TSS, GT won 15 and lost 8... (however TSS got a clean sweep with there always dominant open age group)

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
GT have and have had since I remember a very very strong program for younger teams, they have the most depth and are the premier school for U13's 14's 15's. Simple as that. They have the most participation, eagerness and best coaching at those levels.

The other schools catch up to them later on due to other reasons including just hardening up (Edited). When some of the boys get a bit older in schools they realize they can take the game to them if they just have a crack wheras they would take the field in grade 8 / 9 expecting to lose.

This was the case with me in lower end teams, smashed by GT in 8,9,10, but we grew mentally in 11 and 12 and it was close despite probably having the same skill difference as years gone past - we had just grown up a bit and were prepared to have a go.

Factor in the fact that TSS are very weak early on and get stronger and all of a sudden GT are a mid table team. Same with lower grade teams.

Basically I'm saying that GT teach their kids about self belief and playing as a team in grade 8 and a lot of the other schools don't teach it till grade 10/11/12

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
GT have and have had since I remember a very very strong program for younger teams, they have the most depth and are the premier school for U13's 14's 15's. Simple as that. They have the most participation, eagerness and best coaching at those levels.

The other schools catch up to them later on due to other reasons including just hardening up. When some of the boys get a bit older in schools they realize they can take the game to them if they just have a crack wheras they would take the field in grade 8 / 9 expecting to lose.

This was the case with me in lower end teams, smashed by GT in 8,9,10, but we grew mentally in 11 and 12 and it was close despite probably having the same skill difference as years gone past - we had just grown up a bit and were prepared to have a go.

Factor in the fact that TSS are very weak early on and get stronger and all of a sudden GT are a mid table team. Same with lower grade teams.

Basically I'm saying that GT teach their kids about self belief and playing as a team in grade 8 and a lot of the other schools don't teach it till grade 10/11/12

Most Depth and Premier school for 13s to 15s??? big call. I also question different hardening up rates...

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Nudgee is an anomaly obviously but my point had more to do with the program overall, good teams right down to the E/F level. That's why they had the most wins against Nudgee.

GT and NC definately have the most amount of teams in 13's to 15's... They have a 13G team. TSS and State High typically only have C's..

D

dollywolly1

As we all know by now state high plays a fast attacking brand of rugby, in some instances they use their strength in unnecessary moments of the game such as their quick taps off the penalty from kick able spots and that is why state high has appointed a new long range accurate kicker Dolly 'Milkshakes' Knewel to lead the boys of blue and red to victory against Blake x factor fords new team gt.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Just a quick insight into the unknown strength of the GT rugby program.
So far this season the Blue and White have faced 6 other GPS schools and again shown clear dominance as the top of the Queensland GPS.
Round 1 (BGS)- Nudgee lost 2 games
Round 2 (BBC)- Nudgee lost 1 game (BBC won 2 others that i don't count because BBC C/D teams were playing Nudgee E/F teams)
Round 3 (ACGS)- Nudgee lost 2 games
Round 4 (TSS)- Nudgee lost 10 games and drew 2
Round 5 (BSHS)- Nudgee lost 2 games
and finally in Round 6 they met (GT) losing 9 games and drew 2.
Who would have thought that GT would have the second best result as a school.
I think some credit needs to go to the TSS program and the boys there for lifting to virtually share the day with NC as outlined in these stats. I would hazard a guess that these other schools would have good and bad days against opponents but the NC program consistently racks up these sorts of results. It really is appearing an aberration that ACGS rolled them on Ross earlier this season. I am not surprised by the GT results at all. They have always had very strong underage programs and lacked competitiveness in senior grades without the new faces but that has now been addressed. I think the GT rugby culture is much better than the BBC one I keep being told is being built - time will tell. The positive thing is that the school is competitive at the top end and looks to be for a few seasons yet. Assuming these boys from all schools stay in rugby and are not just 2 year refugees from '5 tackle -Kick' ( rugby league), this may translate to a resurgent Q Schools performance and maybe, down the track, Wallaby performance. On another tangent, my belief is that is better for rugby per se that the competition is now one where any given team can win on any given weekend. The GPS of about 4 years ago was a two tier system. Certain schools could consider premierships and others made up the numbers and fought for the scraps. An upset here or there - yes - but by and large the same ones time and again. Not now. And still the time honoured 1st XV issues like weather, travel, refs, adolescent brain snaps, school detentions and whether the 10's girl friend is giving him a hard time or not can still all affect a season.

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think some credit needs to go to the TSS program and the boys there for lifting to virtually share the day with NC as outlined in these stats. I would hazard a guess that these other schools would have good and bad days against opponents but the NC program consistently racks up these sorts of results. It really is appearing an aberration that ACGS rolled them on Ross earlier this season. I am not surprised by the GT results at all. They have always had very strong underage programs and lacked competitiveness in senior grades without the new faces but that has now been addressed. I think the GT rugby culture is much better than the BBC one I keep being told is being built - time will tell. The positive thing is that the school is competitive at the top end and looks to be for a few seasons yet. Assuming these boys from all schools stay in rugby and are not just 2 year refugees from '5 tackle -Kick' ( rugby league), this may translate to a resurgent Q Schools performance and maybe, down the track, Wallaby performance. On another tangent, my belief is that is better for rugby per se that the competition is now one where any given team can win on any given weekend. The GPS of about 4 years ago was a two tier system. Certain schools could consider premierships and others made up the numbers and fought for the scraps. An upset here or there - yes - but by and large the same ones time and again. Not now. And still the time honoured 1st XV issues like weather, travel, refs, adolescent brain snaps, school detentions and whether the 10's girl friend is giving him a hard time or not can still all affect a season.

Good summation - Monday Exp.

No doubt over the last few years all schools that were in that second tier have picked up their game in terms of coaching, development and attracting talent.

You are right that Qld rugby will win out of this renewed standard lift. If our competition can contribute 60-70% of most Wallaby teams now and the current Captain and Vice Captains (take your pick on Genia or Pocock for V/C), with a two tier system - what will happen with this now wider and more even competition?

Exciting times and it would be even better if the mighty Ippy get the benefit of one of those teenage brain-snap, girlfriend issues you talk of, on Saturday. Then the premiership is down to the wire...and anyone of 4 teams can win, 2 of whom have been well entrenched in that second tier for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.