• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

gngfiend

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nudgee is an anomaly obviously but my point had more to do with the program overall, good teams right down to the E/F level. That's why they had the most wins against Nudgee.

GT and NC definately have the most amount of teams in 13's to 15's. They have a 13G team. TSS and State High typically only have C's..
Interesting point you make there Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nudgee is an anomaly obviously but my point had more to do with the program overall, good teams right down to the E/F level. That's why they had the most wins against Nudgee.

GT and NC definately have the most amount of teams in 13's to 15's. They have a 13G team. TSS and State High typically only have C's..

I'd argue Nudgee wins most its younger age group games before the ball is even kicked off. There is a perception that has lingered for a few years now that no matter what Nudgee team you come up against, they will be physical and will play for the win at any cost. The strategy throughout is to be physical and intimidating, depth is just a by-product of a school that emphasises the sport. It is inherent in their school culture that they win each and every week on the rugby field - the coaches aren't better than any other in the competition and the quality of the players at that level shouldn't give them any distinct advantage (I'm talking younger teams in the B-E range, 'A' teams are more affected by individual talent).

I get the whole argument that participation and depth breeds talent and competition, but I think it is an issue of the mental attitude too. I have a feeling if you asked the lads in the lower grades whether they fear playing terrace you'd get a pretty resounding no, maybe with a few exceptions. As for playing against Nudgee, they may not initially fear the opposition but once a few guys go off injured and they fall behind on the scoreboard, the culture really shines through.

State High and TSS may only go down to C's but that is more to do with the influence of other sports. TSS in particular have great football and swimming program's due to the geographical location. Their school culture isn't dependent on success on the rugby field and they really drive home the 'all-rounder' theory, similar to ACGS. BSHS simply doesn't have the interest in union due to the influence of league, AFL and mixed sports, lets remember that is is the only co-ed school in GPS

Nevertheless, in both cases once they hit year 10 and 11 there is a clear emphasis on building for the 1st XV. Teams 'B-D' don't really have any bearing on how the 'A' teams are performing and that is reflected on the scoreboards.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
Anybody know about the extent of Ben Laxon's injury? He was MIA on the weekend and it was apparent how much terrace missed him, especially in the lineouts.

On a sidenote, although there aren't many Nudgee posters on this forum, I would like to acknowledge Tuttle's brilliant performance on the weekend. He dictated terms with the Terrace backline, constantally putting players into space. He made the likes of Magnay and Hussey look good. NC's Maclean Jones and GT's Toby MacNamee also deserve a mention. Kudos to nudgee, played a very cynical game and deserve to win the premiership, can't see IGS and TGS stopping them on the road to their 40th premiership. Incontrovertibly, they are the best GPS rugby school in terms of first XV success.

Black Caviar

Stan Wickham (3)
My predictions for Round 7

After weeks of really exciting rugby this week appears to have the best in the comp versing the lowest in the comp...bummer

Toowoomba vs TSS
Similar drill as last week for TSS. Dominate in the forwards to create a platform for the backs and then run rampant. Clifton, Third and Fielea will make this game a walk in the park for the coastal kids. Anyone know if Liam Jurd is back?

TSS to win 45-10

Ipswich vs Nudgee
Could be the closest game of the lot but I still doubt it will be close at all. I have been hearing that IGS's backs are playing well with the likes of Anderson, Hayes and Todd but they arent in the same realm as Tuttle and Magnay. I have to keep in mind that Ipswich are playing at home though and with that fact alone there is a splash of uncertainty.

Nudgee to win 31-7

Brisbane Grammar vs Churchie
Cya Grammar. Churchie and the College have a lot in common. Big strong forwards and big quick backs. Therefore I think the scoreline will also have a lot in common. I do hope Grammar utilise Marsden better this week though.

Churchie to win 40-14

Terrace vs State High
Those who still think State High are decent this year are fooling themselves. Theres no fire in them, noone really standing up to make outstanding plays. Terrace are well drilled and by god McNamee is good. Someone at Terrace is teaching these boys how to play at the breakdown and they are doing it exceptionally.

Terrace to win 34-14

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Top v Bottom on the table this week.

Interestingly normally I would tip all the higher schools to win.. I'm going to deviate. At least one of the lower ranked teams will cause an upset. Who will it be?

gngfiend

Allen Oxlade (6)
Top v Bottom on the table this week.

Interestingly normally I would tip all the higher schools to win.. I'm going to deviate. At least one of the lower ranked teams will cause an upset. Who will it be?
I reckon BBC will lose Harry

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Anybody know about the extent of Ben Laxon's injury? He was MIA on the weekend and it was apparent how much terrace missed him, especially in the lineouts.

On a sidenote, although there aren't many Nudgee posters on this forum, I would like to acknowledge Tuttle's brilliant performance on the weekend. He dictated terms with the Terrace backline, constantally putting players into space. He made the likes of Magnay and Hussey look good. NC's Maclean Jones and GT's Toby MacNamee also deserve a mention. Kudos to nudgee, played a very cynical game and deserve to win the premiership, can't see IGS and TGS stopping them on the road to their 40th premiership. Incontrovertibly, they are the best GPS rugby school in terms of first XV success.

It didn't look good, apparently he had a nasty ankle roll in the pre-game warm ups. Sad stuff for a bloke that's had trouble with injuries. Ankles can be anywhere from 2-4 weeks, so hopefully we haven't seen the last of Benny in the red and black.

OBS

Bob McCowan (2)
Round 6 - BBC

Coach Damon Emtage was admitted to hospital late last night. I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to say why, but I don't expect him to be away for much longer. Emtage is a brilliant strategist, and I'm certain the team missed his halftime analysis and gameplan revisions.

Take it Easy.........Gardner was there and this Dual international is no slouch on the strategy front.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Brisbane Grammar vs Churchie
Cya Grammar. Churchie and the College have a lot in common. Big strong forwards and big quick backs. Therefore I think the scoreline will also have a lot in common. I do hope Grammar utilise Marsden better this week though.

Agree with most of your predictions, should be an entertaining round. Churchie are certainly not as clinical as in years gone by, can't see them defeating Grammar by more than 20.

Also not sure when Churchie acquired big strong forwards but if it's the same side that played a fortnight ago then I'd say its a very small forward pack. With the exception of #8 Harley Fox there are very few ball carrying, damaging forwards. Young lock, Isaac Scott-Young is one to look out for, related to a former wallaby. As far as the backs go, Tanuvasa and Perese are the main threats in terms of size. Nucifora, Mason, Ogilvy and quick but certainly not 'big'.

I'll have a crack at predictions, although I'll probably be back on the losers list again this week!

TSS v TGS
Boys from the coast will be far too strong across the park. Expect TGS to put up an early fight but once half time comes around and the afterburners kick in the dust will settle and TSS will be on top by plenty. TSS by 25

IGS v NC
This is shaping up as a very dangerous game and perhaps Nudgee's last real threat to the title. Anderson is a very able player and an Aus schools rep, don't underestimate him or Ippy's slick backline. NC should still be too good in the forwards, Mafi in particular is on fire. NC by 17

BGS v ACGS
I'm hesitant to tip ACGS here because they are seriously hot and cold this season and are facing a BGS team that is being criticised left, right and centre. The ACGS first half against TSS was appalling and then the second half was clinical champagne rugby. If they repeat the dose they will win by plenty but I expect it to be a close battle between recent rivals. ACGS by 10

GT v BSHS
Terrace enters a game as the favourites, and rightly so. They are on the rebound and BSHS are currently suffering an identity crisis in the wake of losing a handful of superstars last season. Appears there was no future planning in West End and it will hurt them badly against a hungry GT team. Terrace by 30

FootyHead29

Stan Wickham (3)

Wrong, TSS got down to E's in every age group but 13s where they have a D's. They also fielded a 6th XV this year against Nudgee

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
BSHS started the season well winning 2 out of 4 games and just losing the other 2. However It didn't take long for the other teams to realise that BSHS strength was in their backline while their forwards, apart from Tualima, Feauai and Petaia, lacked the ability to deliver the 'big hits' on, or neutralise the opposition forwards. Consequently the stronger teams now use their forwards to target the BSHS backs, particularly playmaker Jake Strachan, wearing them down by half time. BSHS has entered the second half physically battered and tired, has not had the energy or strength to continue the contest and has capitulated in the second half in the last 2 games. The woeful second half performance is compounded by the coaches inability to react to changes in the opposition tactics and a reluctance to use their reserve forwards. Unfortunately, with some players out with injuries and others carrying injuries into the game, I think it will be very hard for BSHS to win another game this season.

Polar_bear_king

Bob McCowan (2)
As we all know by now state high plays a fast attacking brand of rugby, in some instances they use their strength in unnecessary moments of the game such as their quick taps off the penalty from kick able spots and that is why state high has appointed a new long range accurate kicker Dolly 'Milkshakes' Knewel to lead the boys of blue and red to victory against Blake x factor fords new team gt.

Yes i have seen this fine young gentleman working very hard at his kicking after school with sahan being the ballfetcher.

gngfiend

Allen Oxlade (6)
My apologies then, must have changed since a few years back. Good on TSS
Yea Harry their program has come a long way. When are we gonna hit up the red room? Maybe for a friendly debate on all things BBC, including their sudden rise to rugby greatness

D

dollywolly1

Yes i have seen this fine young gentleman working very hard at his kicking after school with sahan being the ballfetcher.

yes he's a hard trainer, defiantly deserves this position, sahan also putting in great effort with the ball returns hopefully the coach keeps an eye on that, state high defiantly need more people like this. Hows nudgees first looking?

Polar_bear_king

Bob McCowan (2)
yes he's a hard trainer, defiantly deserves this position, sahan also putting in great effort with the ball returns hopefully the coach keeps an eye on that, state high defiantly need more people like this. Hows nudgees first looking?

Unfortunately my poor soul has not been blessed with the oppurtunity to be involved with nudgees first xv. I can however tell you the mighty polar bear costume has been cleaned by some of the finest and will be looking extra white and bright on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.