• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Many schools will struggle next year if were talking about 16s coming through, but Churchie will have a stronger base to build on, so will College and Ippy all with multiple 16 year olds, and 17yo that are still in grade 11!
Defiantly my pick for the top 4 teams next year, with nudgee up there too always producing.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Guys there is a 2014 thread for this discussion!

Meanwhile, we still have one round to go. Predictions?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Big Brother(Nudgee) v Little Brother(Terrace).

The rivalry brings out the best in both schools.

Imagine, if they combined..awesome First XV :cool:

Nudgee the big brother? Please.

Terrace: the original, superior academics, and the true big brother of Nudgee College, considering they are older by over a decade.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Guys there is a 2014 thread for this discussion!

Meanwhile, we still have one round to go. Predictions?
thank you very much mate

Regards Richard

Predictions for Round 8

ACGS v GT
Religious ideologies clash at East Brisbane! Will it be Saturday Bloody Saturday? GT have some belief and Churchie won't get it all their own way. The strong Churchie performance in the trials is almost a distant memory but Churchie to have too much class in the backs. The battle of the 7s will dictate the front foot ball and if Churchie wins the breakdown, Perese will cut loose, even without Mason at 10. GT to win the set pieces to keep the match in the balance. Churchie by 7.
BBC v IGS
The greatest grudge match derby in GPS. BBC to win the match but IGS will exact a physical toll which could impact on the clash with the Spray Tans the next week and affect the outcome of the competition. BBC by 15.
NC v TGS
Give the butcher boys the cup now. TGS are heading to a Ross Oval abbatoir. NC by heaps. Well done NC, well deserved.
TSS v BGS
Grammar's injury toll and acknowledged lack of depth may take them back to the bad old days of 2008-9, especially at TSS with a crowd full of Finks bikie associates. TSS by 30.

Black Caviar

Stan Wickham (3)
My predictions for Round 8

NC vs TGS
For those of us supporting Terrace, Southport or BBC this is a sad prospect. Nudgee will run riot.

NC to win 42-12

BBC vs IGS
Another top team versing quite a poor team. BBC should destroy especially in the forwards

BBC to win 33-7

Terrace vs Churchie
Probably the match of the round. Terrace are desperate to say they came second and Churchie would love to deny it from them. Its all going to come down to the forwards. (Wilson, McNamee, Green vs Fox, Scott-Young and Macmillan) obviously not playing each other directly in position but it should be an insane breakdown to watch. In the end I think Churchie will take it because of their home-ground advantage.

Churchie to win 28-33

BGS vs Southport
Last year this was arguably the best match of the season. This year it will be boys to men and Southport will have grammar for breakfast

Southport to win 64-10

churchie old boy

Frank Row (1)
i heard from a few youngsters that last years captain Curtis Browning wanted to come back and play the last couple of games for Brisbane State High, is this true

gngfiend

Allen Oxlade (6)
Also, who will bgs have repeat yr 12 to win next year's premiership? Sam Greene should do it for a third time I reckon, better to be safe than sorry

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can the G&G Rugby Community mount a serious cause to get Brisbane and Sydney First XV Match of the Rounds shown on either Free to air or Foxtel?

I was watching College Football from the US the other day (20,000 at the game and millions watching on TV) and I was speaking to a mate of mine who coaches in the land of the long-white, who said TV coverage of Schoolboy rugby is well watched over there.

Why not here?

Surely this is part of our Rugby Community supporting and celebrating the best young players in the game - Not only that I prefer to watch the First XV games than Premier Grade. Far more entertaining and skillful.

Isn't the watch-ability of our game an on-going issue for the ARU??

How do we give this some momentum?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I was watching College Football from the US the other day (20,000 at the game and millions watching on TV)

Only 20,000 at the game? That's tiny for College Football. Penn State, Michigan, Alabama, Texas, LSU, Texas A&M, USC, UCLA, Florida ra di ra all have stadiums that seat 80,000+. The first four are all over 100,000. College football and GPS rugby aren't a valid comparison - 13% of yanks list college football as their favourite sport, with a huge following across the country but especially in the South, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio, Michigan and Los Angeles.

GPS rugby is played between two 'upper-class' sects in Brisbane and Sydney. A small following of rugby die-hards might be earned, but most dyed in the wool rugby fans, without painting everyone with the same brush, would have gone to a GPS or AIC school anyway.

Fox Sports is usually desperate for programming though - have you seen the NSW Cup games on a Sunday at 11? GPS Rugby games would smash them for crowds.

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes absolutely true Curtis Browning has surpassed all GPS laws and will be captaining not only the BSHS first XV this weekend, but also every State high team from the 13s through to the opens
"Fraid it wont be enough. He will need the help of the "Band Of (old) Legends" that rock up to every game and claim to have all the answers to BSHS losing streak. Maybe even that wont help..perhaps, just perhaps, BSHS are suffering the effects of the previous principal, Morrison, who, I believe, devalued the rugby program at BSHS and reduced the number of students who could gain entry to BSHS on (Rugby) merit. BSHS are down at the moment but like all other schools, their time will come again!!

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
Only 20,000 at the game? That's tiny for College Football. Penn State, Michigan, Alabama, Texas, LSU, Texas A&M, USC, UCLA, Florida ra di ra all have stadiums that seat 80,000+. The first four are all over 100,000. College football and GPS rugby aren't a valid comparison - 13% of yanks list college football as their favourite sport, with a huge following across the country but especially in the South, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio, Michigan and Los Angeles.

GPS rugby is played between two 'upper-class' sects in Brisbane and Sydney. A small following of rugby die-hards might be earned, but most dyed in the wool rugby fans, without painting everyone with the same brush, would have gone to a GPS or AIC school anyway.

Fox Sports is usually desperate for programming though - have you seen the NSW Cup games on a Sunday at 11? GPS Rugby games would smash them for crowds.

Yeah it was a game between to crap Colleges and they still get 20,000.

I think you are agreeing...if they can play NSW Cup and the NSW Schools League comp on 9, then surely 10 or Fox could be asked by the ARU to cover a GPS match of the round.

Regardless of the "upper class" sects you refer to - it is some of the best rugby being played in Australia and it deserves more eyeballs on it.

We need our G&G stalwarts to get behind the cause and lobby the ARU...

gngfiend

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can the G&G Rugby Community mount a serious cause to get Brisbane and Sydney First XV Match of the Rounds shown on either Free to air or Foxtel?

I was watching College Football from the US the other day (20,000 at the game and millions watching on TV) and I was speaking to a mate of mine who coaches in the land of the long-white, who said TV coverage of Schoolboy rugby is well watched over there.

Why not here?

Surely this is part of our Rugby Community supporting and celebrating the best young players in the game - Not only that I prefer to watch the First XV games than Premier Grade. Far more entertaining and skillful.

Isn't the watch-ability of our game an on-going issue for the ARU??

How do we give this some momentum?
From my experience a lot of American schools set up a live stream online and for major games they are televised on fox

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Looks to be a strong year for ACGS next year, 8 of those 15 are U16.

Josh Webb
Jeremy Gimpel
Angus Scott-Young
Harry Nucifora
Max Quigley
Hugo Doessel
Izaia Perese
Ben Ogilve

Impressive. On current lists BBC have 11 back next year(no repeats) .
3 certainties from 15As(wing,fullback and number 8) will go straight into firsts and I hear the number 8 (Smith) just got named captain of the Australian under 15 (merit)league team. Another big (massive), fast boy from Riverina area./ Glen the Brick has obvious connections down there.
I do not agree that you look at the strength of the under 16 comp to determine the strength of the 1sts the year after.The under 16 comp is so variable-ACGS&BBC have over half the under 16 teams in the firsts.

Margaret

Frank Row (1)
Dear fellow Green and Gold users,
Am I the only one who has become ill of these obscure comments from BSHS students that are currently plaguing or forums? Throughout my children's schooling years I have used GadG to become more involved in their sporting life, however all I have been reading lately is ridiculous comments of supposed "159 cm recruit, up and coming prodigies and team forfeits". I might not be a player of the game but I know enough of the game of GPS rugby to know that these suggestions are utterly and completely false and are merely the attempt from BSHS students to cause controversy, or as my husband calls it "trolling". I have had an absolute gut full of these derelict teenagers defaming our beautiful game so much so that I have had to create my own personal account to express my protest! To all you BSHS kids preaching verbal diarrhea, RACK OFF!
In frustrated regards, Margaret.

Hits74

Frank Nicholson (4)
Am I the only one who has become ill of these obscure comments from BSHS students that are currently plaguing or forums? Throughout my children's schooling years I have used GadG to become more involved in their sporting life, however all I have been reading lately is ridiculous comments of supposed "159 cm recruit, up and coming prodigies and team forfeits". I might not be a player of the game but I know enough of the game of GPS rugby to know that these suggestions are utterly and completely false and are merely the attempt from BSHS students to cause controversy, or as my husband calls it "trolling". I have had an absolute gut full of these derelict teenagers defaming our beautiful game so much so that I have had to create my own personal account to express my protest! To all you BSHS kids preaching verbal diarrhea, RACK OFF!

Hi Margaret

Agree with frustration however how do we know for sure that these posts are from BSHS not some impersonator. Frankly I find the ones who talk their teams up all year round more annoying.

Jim Lucy

Frank Row (1)

G'day Margeret,
I am also appalled by the behavior of these students whether they are from BSHS or not it does not matter as their input is not necessary and are putting down the elite athletes that the players are. Most have trained most of their lives to play for first fifteen and when people come up with ludicrous rumors to put these players down and to as you said 'troll' people. It is not called for to say such unrealistic things and your comments should not be posted in the first place as your input is useless and it angers the dedicated supporters of G&G and the GPS rugby competition.
Regards Jim Lucy

Status
Not open for further replies.