• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Absolutely lost it at BBC has more Centers than Westfield!

I think it will be interesting to see how the College will react when it goes behind ala Terrace this year. When they turned up ready to scrap in the breakdowns and make it a tough game that entire team went AWOL

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
[Little Bro tells me:
1) Bronson did not go to school yesterday and is not coming back';
2) BBC have 10 1st choice players back plus Lucas Palmer (who played 4 matches in 1sts);
3) 15 A players in line for 1sts squad are Ikatu,Syd Smith and Veravis;
4) new boys are:
-Lachlan Folds (big tough centre);
-Chritianson(Prop from Rockhampton who played with Gunther inQLD side);
-Farrell(Prop/hooker from sunshine Coast Grammar);
-Curtis F;
-Ngamu -(flyhalf from WA that Phillpotts nearly selected in Aussie A team;
-another boy from WA who came with Ngamu

Holy shit -finally some deep depth.

I am predicting no 16A player from 2013 will make 1sts AND some players from 2013 1sts will not be in run on side.

Will that be enough to beat Churchie--maybe not but 2015 is the year they are talking about with 4 playersin 3rd year of 1sts.

BTW Nudgee Captain & hooker ,just back from tour with Aussie schoolboys(and 3 tests) is repeating for 3rd year in firsts.Danger.

You sure Folds is a centre?.my little bro tells me he is as big as Gunther.!!
Also Folds & Wilkins are already training with Melbourne storm.As was Noel Mclean last year.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Word is from BBC, bronson will not be coming back, have imported a lot more younger rugby players to come through the ranks. Would look for a top 3 finish if their coach can field the best team.

Nudgee have mafi in his third year, with gavin luka to play his 2nd year and come back in 2015 for his 3rd, calvin pritchard also doing the same as big gav. Jackson at 7 and some young boys from last years 15's and 16's will provide depth for the backs and fowards. Still undecided if Reece Hewat will come back in 2015

IGS have imported a few boys into their respective age groups, with some new comers looking very likely to get a 1st jersey this year.

Churchie, a lot of potential, with asitia, scott-young, fox, nuciforia, mason, and perese (the big names) all coming back, with some other boys joining them too, theyll be in with a shot for sure. Top 3 finish.

GT last year amazed some teams with pure discipline and hardwork, their structures might change with a lot of young boys coming into the team this year, wouldnt rate them very high, but still a very strong team which churchie, nudgee, and BBC will have a good fight with. Players to look out for, moroney, pest on the ball, horon, has a good boot, Leofa, big hitter and runner of the ball, Nikau, GT's backline of 2013, ruben wall an u/15 standout, and connor macnamarah, a great ball runner with a lot of pace.

TSS look quite strong, but compared to last years team, will be a few steps down, a lot of players will come through from the u/16s, word is they havent imported many players yet. Will have a few backs and fowards coming back but not a very strong team this year. Would give them a top 5 finish.

Predictions for 2015:
1. NC
2. BBC
3. ACGS
4. GT
5. TSS
6. IGS
7. TGS
8. BSHS
9. BGS

Good summary.accurate I think except Churchie are team to beat.Perese is a superstar.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Word is from BBC, bronson will not be coming back, have imported a lot more younger rugby players to come through the ranks. Would look for a top 3 finish if their coach can field the best team.

Nudgee have mafi in his third year, with gavin luka to play his 2nd year and come back in 2015 for his 3rd, calvin pritchard also doing the same as big gav. Jackson at 7 and some young boys from last years 15's and 16's will provide depth for the backs and fowards. Still undecided if Reece Hewat will come back in 2015

IGS have imported a few boys into their respective age groups, with some new comers looking very likely to get a 1st jersey this year.

Churchie, a lot of potential, with asitia, scott-young, fox, nuciforia, mason, and perese (the big names) all coming back, with some other boys joining them too, theyll be in with a shot for sure. Top 3 finish.

GT last year amazed some teams with pure discipline and hardwork, their structures might change with a lot of young boys coming into the team this year, wouldnt rate them very high, but still a very strong team which churchie, nudgee, and BBC will have a good fight with. Players to look out for, moroney, pest on the ball, horon, has a good boot, Leofa, big hitter and runner of the ball, Nikau, GT's backline of 2013, ruben wall an u/15 standout, and connor macnamarah, a great ball runner with a lot of pace.

TSS look quite strong, but compared to last years team, will be a few steps down, a lot of players will come through from the u/16s, word is they havent imported many players yet. Will have a few backs and fowards coming back but not a very strong team this year. Would give them a top 5 finish.

Predictions for 2015:
1. NC
2. BBC
3. ACGS
4. GT
5. TSS
6. IGS
7. TGS
8. BSHS
9. BGS
* 2014?

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You sure Folds is a centre?.my little bro tells me he is as big as Gunther.!!
Also Folds & Wilkins are already training with Melbourne storm.As was Noel Mclean last year.

Can confirm Foulds is a center, watched him play at the State Champs last year.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
wow GT are in for a big wake up call Nikau is a beacon of shining light in a very average side. Horan for all the criticism he has been getting is a half decent player but was definitely not good enough at the start of last season for terrace to not look for any playmakers. This forward pack is going to be the worst in GPS so while there is a decent backline in place they are going to miss the mixture of size and work rate that wilson, kasch and laxon brought as there is no one in this team who can consistently move rucks besides kyle leofa (poor kid should of stayed at state high). There is a reason why jacob stanley didnt play firsts and if it was just a matter of fitness he would of been playing 16 A's remember that. I expect coach Gibb will quickly realise there is no chance of top 3 with a forward pack like that and fill the 50/50 spots with grade 11's but then again being a teacher at the school he does tend to have his favourites, ted porter school vice captain would have to be among his favourites but he does have potential if he starts putting people on the arses but i saw no improvement in his defense last year. Gianluca is another one of his favoured kids but rightfully so that kid is built for a grade 11. Also note to people thinking that 15 wont start gibb likes his imports he will stop looking for kids in that position if the kid so much as shows up at school.

Nikau & Leofa are great players.Lets all hope they don't suffer "spearchucker" taunts from their own supporters as the boys from BBC,IGS & NC did from GT(uner 14) supporters last yeer.

rugby fail

Bob McCowan (2)
Nikau & Leofa are great players.Lets all hope they don't suffer "spearchucker" taunts from their own supporters as the boys from BBC,IGS & NC did from GT(uner 14) supporters last yeer.

Sad to see racial taunts at school boy rugby especially when GPS schools poach these players from state schools. I've witnessed the GT parents racial taunts in the past and unfortunately due the behavior of some supporters (minority I hope) the whole school has been painted with same brush. I hear the GT U14 A parents from last year were part of that minority group and were very vocal (in a negative racial way). In saying that the games that I watched the GT supporters showed great sportsmanship and were positive to the opposition regardless of the score. Lets not blanket the majority of GT supporters with the poor behavior some.

Also I hear that Leofa and Nikau are very happy at GT and I'm sure they've heard racial taunts on and off the field but like their rugby playing ability they will rise about the negativity to better themselves mentally and physically.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
I agree with Spikhaza, none are blameless in this competition and we no doubt all have our war stories to tell. As I write, it got me thinking and if I was to consider my stories, to be fair, I'd have to say that BBC and GT top the list in terms of my negative experiences as their opposition, with BBC well in front of GT and then probably NC coming in at third. The rest don't really feature in my memories to any great degree. Sometimes this recollection may reflect an incident where unbridled passion was expressed in inconsiderate ways but most other times I'd classify it as arrogant, gutless and unsporting from those students, players or parents at the time, which is a pity because it denigrates the majority at any school who conduct thmselves by word and by deed in a sane manner. I can't say I ever recall hearing racial taunts anywhere from any school.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Do you rate him?

He made some very destructive runs and solid hits from what I watched, not too sure if he has a rugby union brain as he has spent a large amount of time with the League code. However he was picked up by the Storm so that must count for something.

I'd have to say the overall quality of the U16's at the State Champs last year was lower than usual due to a number of boys not participating due to having other commitments (First XV, QLD U16, etc.) so this could've contributed to his performance. How he'll go in a much more competitive environment like the GPS, I wouldn't know.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
I agree with Spikhaza, none are blameless in this competition and we no doubt all have our war stories to tell. As I write, it got me thinking and if I was to consider my stories, to be fair, I'd have to say that BBC and GT top the list in terms of my negative experiences as their opposition, with BBC well in front of GT and then probably NC coming in at third. The rest don't really feature in my memories to any great degree. Sometimes this recollection may reflect an incident where unbridled passion was expressed in inconsiderate ways but most other times I'd classify it as arrogant, gutless and unsporting from those students, players or parents at the time, which is a pity because it denigrates the majority at any school who conduct thmselves by word and by deed in a sane manner. I can't say I ever recall hearing racial taunts anywhere from any school.

Dear Mr Expert , good to see you are back on this thread and still putting the boot into BBC.
Even I have to admit your tipping last year was by far and away the best on this thread. What is your crystal ball predicting this year.
How will your beloved dark blue / light blue go ?
Will they go uncontested scrums again?

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
They might have to with the depth they have in the front row.

Went down to rowing on Saturday to watch my little cuz-only to see 7 of the BBC forwrd pack from last year in the 3rd v111.Shit they look big & fit.
Someone is really cracking the whip at College.
Is Swain 6ft6 or 6ft 7?Still no hooker??

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Went down to rowing on Saturday to watch my little cuz-only to see 7 of the BBC forwrd pack from last year in the 3rd v111.Shit they look big & fit.
Someone is really cracking the whip at College.
Is Swain 6ft6 or 6ft 7?Still no hooker??
Swain is 6' 7'', Leyland is the small lock at 6' 6"!!
BBC forwards were big enough last year- just ask Grammar and their non-contested scrum episode- they will be very strong this year.
I heard Swain (lock 1st XV 2013) has been doing serious off-season work.
I believe they have picked up a loose head and a hooker.
Also heard Peterson (tight head- 1st XV, 2012 & 13), has been hard at it and put on over 10kg.
Has anyone seen Gunter?

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
They all went missing last year when GT turned up ready to scrap.
Swain got dropped for going AWOL & then his repacement-Palmer got dropped for giving away too many penalties.Still questions over their ticker.ie-2nd half against TSS.
Gunther is huge -but spending more time with GF than in gym.
The new prop played in Qld white with Gunther.
The new kid from WA is impressing all.(Phillpotts rates him & he is a hard marker)

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Dear Mr Expert , good to see you are back on this thread and still putting the boot into BBC.
Even I have to admit your tipping last year was by far and away the best on this thread. What is your crystal ball predicting this year.
How will your beloved dark blue / light blue go ?
Will they go uncontested scrums again?

Hmmmmm.... tips for 2014??
Early days yet G&G aficianados but the swirling mists in my crystal ball have cleared enough for me to make these comments.
1. The current state of affairs in terms of the GPS rugby season almost stand as a conspiracy by southern unions to prejudice Qld performance at National carnival level and by extension, the GPS premiership race. Training and playing at National standard before building a proper base for it through trials and training and competition matches is patently ridiculous. The only benefit I see this year is that teams can contest GPS trials as whole school entities, not barbarian style trial sides. Best wishes to all terams for an injury free trials period.
2. I rant like this as point 1 because it throws the whole competition open if injuries are taken in the National competition. BBC and maybe Churchie are a great example of having a season cruelled by this sort of injury a year or so ago respectively.
3. I think Churchie are going to be hard to beat with great depth across the field and some real excitement machines like Perese and Ponga. the size of BBC's forward pack is frightening. Does it have the mongrel will be a key question this season. 4. This said, Churchie's aspirations hinge on their performance against two key bogey sides for them- TSS and BBC, both of whom have scuttled Viking hopes in the last 4-5 years. Both games are played away this year for Churchie which seasons those contests even more enticingly. NC are thought of as Churchie's great rival but the last two times NC have won the cup, Churchie have beaten them on Ross Oval to take the edge off their seasons. I'd suggest NC need to worry about Churchie, not the other way around but that game will be another humdinger.
5. I can not see any of the rest upsetting much for this top 4 although I would never discount IGS to muck something up for someone just for the sheer hell of it.
6 In conclusion, I foresee ( at this stage) a top 4 shootout between ACGS, TSS, BBC and NC with any team capable of winning on their day. I won't tip a winner, it's too close to call at the moment but I will say do not be surprised at a 3 way tie. You heard it here first.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
They all went missing last year when GT turned up ready to scrap.
Swain got dropped for going AWOL & then his repacement-Palmer got dropped for giving away too many penalties.Still questions over their ticker.ie-2nd half against TSS.
Gunther is huge -but spending more time with GF than in gym.
The new prop played in Qld white with Gunther.
The new kid from WA is impressing all.(Phillpotts rates him & he is a hard marker)
A year older, bigger, wiser and stronger- you're kidding yourself if you don't think they will be a better pack than last year.

deansy

Bob McCowan (2)
Hmmmmm.. tips for 2014??
Early days yet G&G aficianados but the swirling mists in my crystal ball have cleared enough for me to make these comments.
1. The current state of affairs in terms of the GPS rugby season almost stand as a conspiracy by southern unions to prejudice Qld performance at National carnival level and by extension, the GPS premiership race. Training and playing at National standard before building a proper base for it through trials and training and competition matches is patently ridiculous. The only benefit I see this year is that teams can contest GPS trials as whole school entities, not barbarian style trial sides. Best wishes to all terams for an injury free trials period.
2. I rant like this as point 1 because it throws the whole competition open if injuries are taken in the National competition. BBC and maybe Churchie are a great example of having a season cruelled by this sort of injury a year or so ago respectively.
3. I think Churchie are going to be hard to beat with great depth across the field and some real excitement machines like Perese and Ponga. the size of BBC's forward pack is frightening. Does it have the mongrel will be a key question this season. 4. This said, Churchie's aspirations hinge on their performance against two key bogey sides for them- TSS and BBC, both of whom have scuttled Viking hopes in the last 4-5 years. Both games are played away this year for Churchie which seasons those contests even more enticingly. NC are thought of as Churchie's great rival but the last two times NC have won the cup, Churchie have beaten them on Ross Oval to take the edge off their seasons. I'd suggest NC need to worry about Churchie, not the other way around but that game will be another humdinger.
5. I can not see any of the rest upsetting much for this top 4 although I would never discount IGS to muck something up for someone just for the sheer hell of it.
6 In conclusion, I foresee ( at this stage) a top 4 shootout between ACGS, TSS, BBC and NC with any team capable of winning on their day. I won't tip a winner, it's too close to call at the moment but I will say do not be surprised at a 3 way tie. You heard it here first.[/quote

with the players that bbc have brought in anything than a top 2 would be a failer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.