• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
12 boys from NSW (10 run on) and 11 from QLD (5 run on)

Of the 11 QLD boys, 8 from GPS, 2 from AIC and 1 from CSS.

Of those from QLD, 10 players were named in a team for the trials...whether they actually played last weekend I don't know.
No 7 Koortz (BSHS) is the only one who wasn't named in a trial team, which is strange since No 20 Matt F-S (BSHS) was named run on No 8 for GPS3.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
12 boys from NSW (10 run on) and 11 from QLD (5 run on)

Of the 11 QLD boys, 8 from GPS, 2 from AIC and 1 from CSS.

Of those from QLD, 10 players were named in a team for the trials.whether they actually played last weekend I don't know.
No 7 Koortz (BSHS) is the only one who wasn't named in a trial team, which is strange since No 20 Matt F-S (BSHS) was named run on No 8 for GPS3.
Rumour from the QLD Camp is that Dempsey was picked for the QLD squad but selectors got names and players mixed up.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
Morony has it all over Farrell by the length of a parkgravity
Dear Mr Under Done
Thankyou for your lesson in rugby specifics.
I will read your posts in the future as you are obviously a fair ,unbiased person who praises all good players.
I will also watch Terrace this year with their "mini " forward pack & their red-hot (Sunnybank trained) backline(3 of whom would normally be at BSHS except for the new "decree" at GT).
BTW -I agree with you Moroney is a fine player as are all the players in the Qld teams.
Best Regards

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
Rumour from the QLD Camp is that Dempsey was picked for the QLD squad but selectors got names and players mixed up.

if that's the case then he's been done over, but I really can't see that the guys who moved him from bench GPS1 to play 9 GPS3 would not know who they were watching. Don't they use team sheets? If they are just marrying names up to jerseys using the program the whole thing's a farce.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
if that's the case then he's been done over, but I really can't see that the guys who moved him from bench GPS1 to play 9 GPS3 would not know who they were watching. Don't they use team sheets? If they are just marrying names up to jerseys using the program the whole thing's a farce.
I'm guessing the team sheets still had him down as reserve to GPS1, but he played all three games as 9 for GPS3.

underdone

Peter Burge (5)

Interesting, when they moved Freddie D to Gps1 he still had on his Gps3 Jersey and i think some of the others that got moved had there original jerseys on as well.
I was told somebody approached the Gps3 bench and asked who were several players and Dempsey was one that was enquired about.
One has to wonder, after all they are only male, no women in there to pick up after them.

NextPropModel

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interesting, when they moved Freddie D to Gps1 he still had on his Gps3 Jersey and i think some of the others that got moved had there original jerseys on as well.
I was told somebody approached the Gps3 bench and asked who were several players and Dempsey was one that was enquired about.
One has to wonder, after all they are only male, no women in there to pick up after them.

Yep, mere males after all. It's hard luck for Dempsey if that's the case. Even more reason they should have a possible / probables match before the final selections maybe? Freddie D is known by everyone, so doubt there'd ever be a case of mistaken identity there. More the case of re-jigging the team to find a place for him. It's the boys who were 'unknown' that were at a distinct disadvantage. Not enough game time to prove themselves, and lets face it, the selectors were focusing on their stars.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
I noticed the same with the No 18 For GPS 3 (Schiller, I think). The week before when he played against us at IGS he wore No 1 and with the other two IGS front rowers (who were both picked in QLD1) pushed our pack round like a cart. When I looked at the program for the Qld Trials, he was down as No 20 but wore 18?? Someone told me that he normally plays 6,7 or 8 for IGS. When he played against GPS1 on the Saturday he started in the 2nd row and was being lifted in line outs. He didn't play badly but it seemed like the GPS coaches didn't know where he best fitted in. The big advantage he has is that he is adaptable and can almost play any spot in the forward pack

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
So after watching recent school/rep trials, has anyone revised their opinion on this year's GPS Premiership race?

For me:
NC/ACGS are front runners
BBC/GT are up there - BBC need to settle on the centre combination.
BSHS/IGS can rattle most sides - hope for no injuries.
BGS will have a crack but are struggling already with the injury toll.
I haven't seen TSS or TGS play. Looks like a great season ahead.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
So after watching recent school/rep trials, has anyone revised their opinion on this year's GPS Premiership race?

For me:

I think GT will decide the premiership not win it.

I believe GT will play the best footy this year, and at times will look the best team, their size (lack of) will be telling and I just don't see them beating AGCS, IGS,NC and BBC in the same season. Who beats GT will go along way to winning the title,

OR history will repeat

With NC beating GT, GT beating BBC, BBC beating ACGS and ACGS beating NC.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think GT will decide the premiership not win it.

Yes could be, GT are certainly capable. Thats a tough run home for GT from round 6 BBC/NC/BSHS/ACGS - guess there's no easy draw anyway.

You mentioned S Partridge a few pages back, I've a blank in the Qld fullbacks around that time...Martin Gould ??? Mitch Palm & Paul Kahl briefly - think Partridge played a few Reds games at fullback?

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
You mentioned S Partridge a few pages back, I've a blank in the Qld fullbacks around that time.Martin Gould ??? Mitch Palm & Paul Kahl briefly - think Partridge played a few Reds games at fullback?

Firstly wasn't the Reds in those days ;-)

Greg Martin would have been his main block back then, but I think it is fair to say that Parto never really transitioned from elite schoolboy to elite senior, played a lot of first grade though won a premiership with Brothers i think and that was when the comp was still first class.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
Firstly wasn't the Reds in those days ;-)

Greg Martin would have been his main block back then, but I think it is fair to say that Parto never really transitioned from elite schoolboy to elite senior, played a lot of first grade though won a premiership with Brothers i think and that was when the comp was still first class.

Yes Qld in those days...& it's not Brothers, it's The Filth!:D

Michael Crank would have been in those Brothers premiership days - he's the current Q1 schoolboys fwds coach...& a quick trip to the Brothers website says Carl Marshall as Prem grade coach! Is that the same Carl Marshall as head coach Q1 schoolboys?
- that's some coaching firepower.
Stephen Partridge also listed as Colts 2 coach

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I think Churchie, BBC, and Nudgee all have a chance to win but it will be very difficult to go undefeated this year. I can only think of one team who won't be able to realistically compete every game of the season. No prizes for guessing

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Yes Qld in those days.& it's not Brothers, it's The Filth!:D

Michael Crank would have been in those Brothers premiership days - he's the current Q1 schoolboys fwds coach.& a quick trip to the Brothers website says Carl Marshall as Prem grade coach! Is that the same Carl Marshall as head coach Q1 schoolboys?
- that's some coaching firepower.
Stephen Partridge also listed as Colts 2 coach

I think that may be outdated - hasn't Anthony Mathison been coaching the Filth's prem grade side the last year or two? Carl Marshall is indeed coaching the Queensland I side with Michael Crank though, filling in the rest of his time taking care of BGS' 15As side.

Steven Partridge has 2 kids playing Brothers Colts, so that doesn't surprise me at all. A really great bloke, tough but fair

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think Churchie, BBC, and Nudgee all have a chance to win but it will be very difficult to go undefeated this year. I can only think of one team who won't be able to realistically compete every game of the season. No prizes for guessing

TheKing no prizes...BGS is not my camp, but your LDBlue always come out hard, no matter what. They'll do the same this year & earn their respect on the field.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
...Steven Partridge has 2 kids playing Brothers Colts, so that doesn't surprise me at all. A really great bloke, tough but fair

Good to hear "Parto" Partridge is down at Crosby with his boys. Truth is I can't wait 'til my eldest leaves this yr - next year will be 1 foot in Schoolboys & 1 foot in Clubland - perfect!

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)

For me:
Linespeed, Today at 11:25 AM Report
I agree with you.good summary.TSS will be stronger than some people think.BSHS & IGS will run out of depth but will be strong at the start.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
With NC beating GT, GT beating BBC, BBC beating ACGS and ACGS beating NC.

That was last year was it not.?
Worth noting BBC play NC,ACGS and GT all at home.With GT on old boys day.

Status
Not open for further replies.