• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
GT Supporter, how did Matt Forsyth go and will he play First XV come Round 1 vs BGS?

He's behind a few I've heard.
I think the new boy quillan has one spot locked down while Campell Grigson has been the darkhouse doing really well.

He's in and around it and should come into contention as the year goes by

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
He's behind a few I've heard.
I think the new boy quillan has one spot locked down while Campell Grigson has been the darkhouse doing really well.

He's in and around it and should come into contention as the year goes by

Didn't get much ball today, but really impressed with his defence and work in and around the tackle - looks a really tough kid.

No idea if he is eligible, but don't know why they would play him if he isn't as Conner NcNamara played seconds

Roscoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
BBC had about 5 out today : see earlier threads.really missed Leyland and Farrell. More injuries to Gunter and Christianson
Note to Backs coach of BBC : mate they looked like soldiers crabs going sideways at about the same speed. Get some punch in the centres by putting Folds or Smith there.

Spot on about Leyland and Farrell. Lucky for BBC your not the backs coach. BBC will get a better return on their investments with Smith on the wing and Foulds at LH prop.

Touchline

Frank Row (1)
GT Supporter, how did Matt Forsyth go and will he play First XV come Round 1 vs BGS?

I was told that he won't be playing the Grammar game in the 1st XV, seeing as he just moved from BGS, and the Terrace headmaster sees it as disrespectful and won't allow it.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Interesting all the post about the terrace backs being sharp and Horan didn't play... Was he finally dropped after a shocking nationals carnival and some very average trials ...

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I was told that he won't be playing the Grammar game in the 1st XV, seeing as he just moved from BGS, and the Terrace headmaster sees it as disrespectful and won't allow it.

Smart move I think. Kids can be cruel - He may cop some serious flak in next years fixture, though

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Dylan Leyland resting a shoulder injury, Jack Farrel resting an ankle, Syd Smith playing 16s, Jayden Ngamu resting ankle, Kareem Tuuga resting knee. Not at strength and haven't been since the nudgee and ipswitch gps trial. Farrel and Leyland will come back into the team forcing one listed above out, either Malaula or Foulds will go to 2nds. Christianson to be replaced by Kareem. Ngamu to come back into the team with Carswell returning to the 16s. And Syd to find some form and straight running in the 16s, might make an debut depending on form and injuires. Carswell to be the replacement wing/fullback. Sam Edwards will most likely stay at 13 if not move back to a wing forcing a younger boy to move back into 16s. BBC by 20+ points up against a small GT forward pack and a league filled backline. Should be an interesting game but no chance GT will win. BBC will still have to play well and get this last game over before heading to the coast to play the match that the college has been dreading on since last year.[/quote]
Unquote

Well let's look at this again - BBC were totally fragmented and had NO combinations - lots of injuries and they kept a hooker on for a large part of the natch that may as well have had a terrace jersey on as he kept throwing the ball in the lineout to GT 2 jumper and would walk the rest if the time. Interesting coaching for mine.

GT were missing several key players and were the dominant team for all bar the last 20mins of the first half. BBC have a long way to go unfortunately for the fee paying parents and will need to improve all over the paddock next week.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I just want to address a point here; people mention GT's "league filled backline" frequently - and they're right, there is a distinctively league flavour to that side: Nikau, Hiale, and Quilian Malaki-Pritchard are all league players.

However, Churchie has more - Jayden Sua, Izaia Perese, Mack Mason, and Kalyn Ponga (and Harley Fox but who's counting?)

BBC has Sam Edwards, Lenny Ikitau, Foulds and Smith in the mix, and I assume several more from 2013's 15As.

BGS at full strength has Sly, Lanskey, and Wolstenholme.

IGS has Maraentha Raeli, Ethan Page, and I believe the fullback Geoff Robertson has a league background too, with Unga Wolske involved in QRL rep teams also

Nudgee has a very high profile leaguie in Calvin Pritchard as well as Agassi Stowers and Reece Hewat (borderline now), I'm sure BSHS has a league influence in it's backline, as would Toowoomba and Southport somewhere.

So why does Terrace get singled out, when it only seems to boast a moderate number of code hoppers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
BBC have a long way to go unfortunately for the fee paying parents and will need to improve all over the paddock next week.[/quote]

Could not agree more. the full fee paying parents at GT got great value for money from Leofa,Roycroft,,Te Rupe and who is the new boy from Sunny bank?=Malaki. also the gigantic Number 8 in 13As looks like great value
Roycroft may be the best centre I have seen all year.
Dr Chapman will be well pleased with his investments

Roscoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
I just want to address a point here; people mention GT's "league filled backline" frequently - and they're right, there is a distinctively league flavour to that side: Nikau, Hiale, and Quilian Malaki-Pritchard are all league players.

However, Churchie has more - Jayden Sua, Izaia Perese, Mack Mason, and Kalyn Ponga (and Harley Fox but who's counting?)

BBC has Sam Edwards, Lenny Ikitau, Foulds and Smith in the mix, and I assume several more from 2013's 15As.

BGS at full strength has Sly, Lanskey, and Wolstenholme.

IGS has Maraentha Raeli, Ethan Page, and I believe the fullback Geoff Robertson has a league background too, with Unga Wolske involved in QRL rep teams also

Nudgee has a very high profile leaguie in Calvin Pritchard, I'm sure BSHS has a league influence in it's backline, as would Toowoomba and Southport somewhere.

So why does Terrace get singled out, when it only seems to boast a moderate number of code hoppers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King, Terrace and BGS have the least number of leaguies. I'm sure Nikau has a rugby background and recruited by the Bronco's last year. Therefore Hiale and Quillan are the only league backs.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
What was the underage scores at BSHS v NC???
Not to sure what the actual scores were but the 13a's BSHS were too big strong and fast for the NC boys and if they get some more structure will do extremely well this year.
14a's the NC boys would trouble a few of the u15's I think, still not at full strength and put a huge score on.
15a's was a tight contest, I think the NC boys got up but not sure as I was watching the game next door, same with the 16's.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
I saw the match in progress at Miskin street yesterday and dropped in. GT deserved the win. I was impressed with GT #7 - a Michael Hooper like performance, the GT #5 did a good job in the tight and contributed around the field and the GT #1 was also a solid performer. GT backs attacked well to the right ( a harder pass) but constantly stole space from their wingers by running across field. The GT #13 needs a biol teacher to sit with him and explain how he is bigger than most others in the competition and then get a physics teacher to sit with him and explain speed and momentum and force. If he got out of 1st gear and actually ran hard and straight GT would have a wonderful weapon.
BBC were chaotic. Their lineout delivery was below 1st XV standard, their defensive lineout procedures were non existent, their scrum, despite its size, did not dominate and they ran their outside men out of space more regularly than GT did. Snappy short passing, a feature of Tom Barker teams when turnovers are on seemed to falter under pressure and we are not at the big dance yet. Although his first two steps with ball in hand are always across field, I thought the BBC #10 was one of their better ones and the BBC #9 always has a go.
If all the big guys are coming back, then BBC had better hope for a wet season because GT showed that BBC can be run off their feet by a gameplan which spreads the ball and supports it.
One thing that the teams deserved recognition for was the absence of aimless kicking - both sides tried to run it although if I was BBC, I would be committing my opponents to match me in forward contests where my size might count but the caveat here is that it must be done with vigour, not the pedestrian "we've already won this" attitude they started with. While I'm on this I may as well say it was disrespectful gamesmanship to be well late for the kickoff and then going through the totally unnecessary 'prayer on the knee' stuff to further prolong the wait for GT. Do that in the dressing room if it is important to you and be on time is my comment.
Best wishes to all teams for an injury free season of some of the most memorable games you will ever play.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
Good old BBC - what a rabble. Who else would schedule a camp and a trial on the last 3 days of the holidays but NOT open up the boarding house( and not arranging billeting). It gets worse- when hardly any of the 120 odd boarders who play rugby turn up - and they can't field a C team in any age group - they wonder why. Laughable but true.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
A few things have become clear from trials over the weekend-
- 13A big wins by BBC and BSHS
- 14A Nudgee continues to win by cricket scores . BBC and GT play a draw but BBC is missing many of their boarders
- 15A Lucas is a class act for GT ( they beat BBC by a try) and ACGS continue to win
-16A BBC and NC had big wins
- opens . ACGS. Keep cards close to their chest .NC continue to win. GT have real depth and BBC do not

So predictions for 2014
1st xv ACGS & NC
2nds NC and GT

16A BBC and NC

15A NC and ACGS

14A NC by a cricket score
13A BBC &BSHS

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Good old BBC - what a rabble. Who else would schedule a camp and a trial on the last 3 days of the holidays but NOT open up the boarding house( and not arranging billeting). It gets worse- when hardly any of the 120 odd boarders who play rugby turn up - and they can't field a C team in any age group - they wonder why. Laughable but true.

bad troll is bad. College fielded 14D team that had a solid win against Terrace.

Perhaps you should consider that many of the boarders can't return before x date and the logistics of opening up the boarding house prior to then are a nightmare.

Or maybe just consider that life doesn't revolve around trial games for rugby champion

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
A few things have become clear from trials over the weekend-
- 13A big wins by BBC and BSHS
- 14A Nudgee continues to win by cricket scores . BBC and GT play a draw but BBC is missing many of their boarders
- 15A Lucas is a class act for GT ( they beat BBC by a try) and ACGS continue to win
-16A BBC and NC had big wins
- opens . ACGS. Keep cards close to their chest .NC continue to win. GT have real depth and BBC do not

So predictions for 2014
1st xv ACGS & NC
2nds NC and GT

16A BBC and NC

15A NC and ACGS

14A NC by a cricket score
13A BBC &BSHS

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
I agree with most of that but NC u15A not near the top 3 and so are Churchie ... I think GT and BBC 14a Nudgee and 13a BBC ... 16a NC and BBC 2nd NC and BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.