• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impartial Observer

Bob McCowan (2)
The Nudgee 14A team is an awesome side. Despite the scoreline (which was 6 converted tries all converted by an exceptional goal kicker) with 3 tries in each half a lot of these were long range tries from kicks not finding touch and broken play. Despite the scoreline the Churchie team actually competed well but they just lacked physical size and have no stand-out player(s) whereas the Nudgee team has several.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Geez you're a tough marker RH - pissing down rain, wet underfoot - not really conducive to expansive rugby - more the grind one and two off the ruck that they played. Neither backs saw much ball at all. BSHS and IGS will be one to watch this weekend in the same age group.

Mate - if you are talking about the 13A game how come these 2 sides have smashed everyone else ??

TheObserver

Frank Row (1)
Mate - if you are talking about the 13A game how come these 2 sides have smashed everyone else ??

Seems like the U13A is a three horse race between Ippy, BBC and BSHS. Quickly looking at the results it appears that both Ippy and College are undefeated. Some great footy to be watched between IGS vs. BSHS and BBC vs. IGS in the coming weeks. Could a joint premiership be on the cards?

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Not quite sure what you are trying to ask TG ??? Yes they have, and yes, it was a great game, albeit a slog, between BSHS and BBC last weekend in the wet last Saturday.

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
Seems like the U13A is a three horse race between Ippy, BBC and BSHS. Quickly looking at the results it appears that both Ippy and College are undefeated. Some great footy to be watched between IGS vs. BSHS and BBC vs. IGS in the coming weeks. Could a joint premiership be on the cards?
I hear the BSHS 13a's had their worse game of the year on the week-end. 12 nil down after 3 minutes.

But what about the BSHS 13B's. In 4 games 172 points for. - 7 points against. That has to be some type of record. Maybe that team should have played the BBC 13A's on the week-end.

Chris Green

Frank Nicholson (4)
13A IGS v BBC should be a great game. IGS have some big running forwards which might cause them some problems. BSHS v IGS is going to be battle of big forward packs bashing each other. Backline at BSHS is nearly all from Sunnybank Div 1 side

Smokin Joe

Frank Row (1)
The incredible seconds flanker you are talking about is Christian Malaulau, BBC's captain of rugby. He has been at the school since the start of year 8 and truly loves the school (was in contention for school captain this year). He was dropped for the Nudgee game due to him not having the size to play at that level apparently (Tuuga and Farrell being larger). I completely disagree with this and believe that he is one of the best players in the BBC forward pack due to his determination and effort he gives.

Personally I think that BBC's First XV results this year come down to one thing, choosing "rugby stars" over kids with heart. This is the one example that stands out to me. I am strongly of the opinion that a champion team (puts in the effort and dedication) beats a team of champions (all centered around glory).

Just my 5 cents.

Well he is a credit to his code and to his school. His upbringing plays a factor with all the posts I have read thus far with mention of him, he comes across as a really respectful young man.
Being dropped for size? well the coach needs to get with the times and start thinking maybe he has too much size as a result of a slower pack?
Yes I love kids with heart and stars are a compliment of the hard work put in as a team.
Lets hope they get up this week against a much David and Goliath match up.....In saying this David wasnt a big bloke neither but he still got over the bigger bloke...just saying :)

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
I hear the BSHS 13a's had their worse game of the year on the week-end. 12 nil down after 3 minutes.

But what about the BSHS 13B's. In 4 games 172 points for. - 7 points against. That has to be some type of record. Maybe that team should have played the BBC 13A's on the week-end.
Maybe Bear - although I think its tough to judge the 13As in the conditions on the weekend. For mine, I think they were worse against Churchie a couple of weeks ago.

Smokin Joe

Frank Row (1)
So what you're saying is unless a boy has been at a school since grade 8, they don't deserve to be in the First XV?? Regardless of how much work they've put in, including pre-season? At least 4 of those First XV boys have been consistently attending gym and fitness sessions every week since December. And that includes holidays. Being boarders, that means they've had to travel to the school twice a week during holidays for almost a year. And they did it the previous year as well. So effectively they've been committed to the program since 2012. The only time off they've had is when the gym has been closed. You're telling me that isn't commitment to the college? Please. People on here are so quick to rubbish the BBC boys on scholarship, but they clearly don't know a damn thing about the individuals and their families. It is not the players fault they are not a cohesive team. The blame lays fair and squarely at the feet of the coaches.
Yes, there are a number of boys who feel that attending gym and fitness doesn't apply to them, yet consistently are in the team. If you're serious about the team playing for each other, then teach those
boys a lesson by dropping them. There are plenty of boys ready to fill their spots. That's how you teach them to respect the jersey.

Rugged01, it sounds that maybe you are a parent or a very passionate supporter of BBC who is very close to scene. Please understand I am not trying to disrespect the scholarship boys nor the school at all.
You must read the post again, I never said what you are pointing out in your post earlier at all, but simply quoted what I heard from BBC boys standing at the canteen on saturday. How much truth was in these comments I am not sure but judging by your response maybe they are? if these comments are true would this mean 14 of the starting line up for BBC have been there for 2 years or less? I wonder how this stacks up against NC, Churchie, IGS etc with relation to how many players have been at the school for a short period, I would love to know this stat. 2+ years I am ok with but less than 2 years maybe shows lack of GPS rugby at this level of competition. After all I believe this level of rugby in GPS is premium football and wonderful to watch.

Re your comment around commitment of boys turning up to gym and fitness sessions every week and I am assuming your commenting along the lines of scholarship boys? so what about the boys who aren't on scholarship and have to travel to the school everyday and have done this for 4 or 5 years? I am not trying to stick up for everyone here, but you make no mention of these boys who also work just as hard if not harder. As for those that don't abide to the system, this clearly tells a story that BBC lack a team culture. Maybe these players should not be introduced to start as a rule until they have earned their time in the school but can be introduced as reserves after playing in the 2nds? just a thought. I agree this is a coaches call and one he needs to be prepared to make but reading all the other comments he sounds like a man with no regard for injuries if Ben is playing injured...seriously this is not super 15 rugby and they are still kids.
Each to there own and great to see that people like yourself have passion and still care about kids who play the game we all love.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)

Well I'm not going to bag a winning team but there is a massive drop between A and B rugby ... Keep up the winning ways boys

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
I realise that. I said that tongue in cheek. Mind you, I think that B team could probably beat some of the A teams running around.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
I know this is going to read holier than thou and you can berate me if you want.
But, If they are, they are, as long as the boy's are enjoying themselves at school and improving their academic, life and sporting skills so when they step out into the world they are prepared for their life ahead.
Not at all - that would be a fantastic outcome, but one I think is all too rare in these scholarship programmes. What I dont get is why Nudgee, who had a team that went undefeated last year, and by big margins mind you, goes and hunts down a bunch of new boys with the sole purpose of bolstering an already strong team ?

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
...what about the boys who aren't on scholarship and have to travel to the school everyday and have done this for 4 or 5 years? I am not trying to stick up for everyone here, but you make no mention of these boys who also work just as hard if not harder.

Smokin, I thing Rugged was just trying to refute the perception that is pretty prevalent on here that boys on scholarships are not as committed as the other boys. I don't think it was meant to cast any aspersions on the efforts of those other boys. Also, not every boy on a scholarship is a boarder, and not every boarder is on a scholarship. I hear faint rumours that one of the things unsettling BBC at the moment is a resentment among some of the boys that others (scholarship or not) do not feel they have to do the work the others do. Unfortunately the coaching staff made much preseason that effort and commitment would be rewarded and it does not appear to be always so.

hunts down a bunch of new boys

If you've got them, others don't.

notlornajane

Frank Row (1)
I think its time to reward commitment and team-players over this superstar bullsh*t. There maybe better players, but not better team members.

One of the best quotes i heard is "you can't pick a player if their ego can't fit between the posts."

Well said! Well said! The majority of these recruited boys are not playing rugby for their school, but only for themselves! They could learn a lot from their fellow mates in their cohort who have been subjected to playing in lower graded teams! These boys have been at BBC since at least grade 8 and certainly play as a team and show true mate-ship on and off the field. The recruits are not only given special treatment within the rugby programme but also within the boarding house with the new DOB . A culture the College does not need to nurture.

BBC did not need all these recruited players brought in.. They could have had the boys who have been at BBC since day dot scoring the same points on the board! Least this way, the team would play with pride for their school. It's time to show some respect to the boys who have been at their school for years and stop showing favouritism to the supposed superstars! The points have not been scored so re gift the 1st XV jersey to boy/s with heart and pride! there is no "I " in team!

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Well said! Well said! The majority of these recruited boys are not playing rugby for their school, but only for themselves! They could learn a lot from their fellow mates in their cohort who have been subjected to playing in lower graded teams! These boys have been at BBC since at least grade 8 and certainly play as a team and show true mate-ship on and off the field. The recruits are not only given special treatment within the rugby programme but also within the boarding house with the new DOB . A culture the College does not need to nurture.

BBC did not need all these recruited players brought in.. They could have had the boys who have been at BBC since day dot scoring the same points on the board! Least this way, the team would play with pride for their school. It's time to show some respect to the boys who have been at their school for years and stop showing favouritism to the supposed superstars! The points have not been scored so re gift the 1st XV jersey to boy/s with heart and pride! there is no "I " in team!

Wow it certainly appears like BBC Rugby program is in dire straights with a lot of unhappy and disenfranchised people - there has been a glimpse of this at GT (although in reverse) this year and is certainly seems to be affecting the team.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
I agree B&G there is more BBC dirty washing on here than the Toowong Chinese Laundromat.
Mind you if they were winning in the Firsts, we probably wouldn't be seeing as much.
From the games I've seen in younger age groups the program is strong and as much to do with coaching and commitment as "new" players and that means BBC as a whole is probably now in the top 5 rugby schools and in U13/U14/U15 in the top 3, which it has not been in the past.
The fact that Terrace are having a few issues shows just how well you have to manage things. Nudgee have always had these cultural issues, they just don't hang them out to dry. Note to BBC supporters - whack a lid on it!!

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)

So you think a trial match of BBC boys on scholarship VS non- scholarship boys would be an even match- I'd like to see that.
On other matters, recently discussed:
I've seen a few of the videos from this year's games: it seems to me that it is not lack of heart or passion, but unforced turn overs, pushed passes and lack of understanding in the key positions on the field that most rugby games are won by building pressure- not burst of brilliance.
If anything there appears to have been too much pressure on some of the more inexperienced boys.
As for the debate on the smaller flanker (Christian?): obviously a deserving Captain but I couldn't see how he would dislodge the three, much bigger and stronger, back-rowers that BBC have been able to field at times.
Lastly: culture builds for decades and is hard to change in a few years. Who know what restrictions have been put on Barker and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.