• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impartial Observer

Bob McCowan (2)
From the Forum activity this week (or lack thereof) there seems to a bit of angst that Churchie has (or at least is in the box seat) to win an undefeated premiership having beaten TSS last Saturday. Not sure why that is because they are a very good team that yes are full of superstars but they are a pleasure to watch. And despite the success appear a team of no egos that play for each other and their school. Yes they may have won the arms race this year but credit where credit is due. I know that everyone is happy to support winners and the real test of school community support is when the team is not having success but having been at the Churchie v BBC game at BBC it was embarrassing how many Churchie boys were there in the wet supporting their team in comparison to the BBC home team.

deansy

Bob McCowan (2)
From the Forum activity this week (or lack thereof) there seems to a bit of angst that Churchie has (or at least is in the box seat) to win an undefeated premiership having beaten TSS last Saturday. Not sure why that is because they are a very good team that yes are full of superstars but they are a pleasure to watch. And despite the success appear a team of no egos that play for each other and their school. Yes they may have won the arms race this year but credit where credit is due. I know that everyone is happy to support winners and the real test of school community support is when the team is not having success but having been at the Churchie v BBC game at BBC it was embarrassing how many Churchie boys were there in the wet supporting their team in comparison to the BBC home team.
Yes and no. Also a growing trend amongst the schools for either getting the students repeating a year when a "sportsman" commences in the older age groups or putting them through year 11 and 12 over three years.

So that in their final year, the students are 18 and "hardened" athletes.

One school is known for actively getting their students to do only one subject and sometimes two in their final year (having elected to do year 12 over two years) and then pay the students to do groundsman work on their fields during the spare time across the day.

Another school is aligned to the NSW schooling system for the age the boys start at the school (being six months behind the QLD system) and they dominate the Open Age Groups year in, year out because the boys are on average six months older in Year 12 and have already played Open in the season before.

Look at many of the outstanding rugby players this year from some of the schools and I would reckon that many of them turned 18 this year. I saw the bios of the BBC boys recently and saw that one of the outstanding players was around 18 and a half years old. His opposite number that day had turned 16 only a couple of months ago. The opposite number was good enough to be there, but I know that having over two years age and experience would have been a massive factor and an advantage.

It will work its way out with next year's year 8 cohort being the first prep year in Queensland, but there is at least another five years to go before this occurs.

Ok well done churchie but in all due respect they imported a premiership the whole GPS sport is now a farce! pity he parents that pay full fees and see their boys being demoted in their senior years!!

Impartial Observer

Bob McCowan (2)
I actually agree that it is a farce and that an imported premiership is hollow. But I would be interested to know when the last 'pure' premiership was. The BGS premiership a couple of years ago?

Kepu

Herbert Moran (7)
I actually agree that it is a farce and that an imported premiership is hollow. But I would be interested to know when the last 'pure' premiership was. The BGS premiership a couple of years ago?

The Grammar team of 2012 as you refer to had quite a few imports, they were most definitely not a 'pure premiership team'.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
That's because the buses didn't leave until after full time in the firsts, and it was too wet to walk home !

Kepu

Herbert Moran (7)
Ok well done churchie but in all due respect they imported a premiership the whole GPS sport is now a farce! pity he parents that pay full fees and see their boys being demoted in their senior years!!

Although you say this Deansy, only over half the team is imported (8) for Churchie this team, not a dissimilar amount to every other team in GPS....

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
OK lets end the import/recruitment (whatever) discussion and take it to the scholarship thread where it belongs, for a reason.

But in this thread let's just talk about the rugby that is being played by the boys whatever their provenance.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
The Churchie team is a complete Rugby team that has no identifiable weakness and plays total rugby. They show exactly what the games values are - teamwork, passion, skill. They show exactly what is possible in Rugby - from the marvelous tactical battle for field position, the contest for possession at set piece & in the tackle, to the flashy moves of deception and skill outwide, to the sheer athleticism of beating a player one on one. They have been the complete package this year and will be deserved premiership winners.

I also think its been great that in this comp we will have now had 3 winners in 3 years. You never want to see a one sided competition and we now have a scenario where it is very close every year. I think its better than when I first started following this competition when you would see teams like TSS '06 BSHS '09 rout everything in their way.

It would be even better if we could just get more boys playing in the lower grades from some schools. This competition is a feeder for professional Rugby pathways and the more people involved the better. In my opinion we should be letting St Peters, Marist and a whole host of other schools have a crack to grow the game! But of course those who sit at the GPS round table will never agree.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
In my opinion we should be letting St Peters, Marist and a whole host of other schools have a crack to grow the game! But of course those who sit at the GPS round table will never agree.

SPLC is definitely not a school you'd want in the GPS, they don't field more than two teams in every age group :confused: It'd be great if Marist was given a run, I think they might surprise more than a few people, but whilst GT and NC are around it ain't gonna happen.

ACT

Stan Wickham (3)
14a's NC 21 - GT 7, didnt see the game but the ref was a shocker! blew the pip out of the whistle apparently?

Status
Not open for further replies.