• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Pretty decent team lineups. Must have been some cracking games during the "07 season.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
King, that just goes to show the strength of this comp over the years.

There really does need to be a National Schools Final to be televised on Fox. Top Brisbane GPS Team Vs Top Sydney GPS Team.

Surely the cattle coming from both comps over the years mean that could be a viable initiative.

Get a couple of European Car Brands to sponsor it and have an expensive sports jacket with leather arm patches given away to the most vigorous supporter on the day. Done!

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
ScreenHunter_006.jpg

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
At the risk of annoying somebody, I've posted this here.. There's no GPS reminiscing thread, so figured this was the next best place.

I had the privilege to work with GPS halfback Sam Grasso on the Premier Rugby radio show this week, and we had a quick chat about 2007 that I thought would interest many here.

The 2007 Nudgee First XV lost to Southport by 2 points, sealing an undefeated Premiership for the beach boys.

Have a look at the quality in these two sides.. If anybody can fill in the blanks, or correct positions, please do!

Nudgee 2007
1. Nathan Keating-Jones - 1st Grade for Norths
2. Matt Mafi - (Brisbane City NRC)
3. Kirwan Sanday - (Queensland Country NRC)
4. Ted Postal
5. ?
6. ?
7. Angus Leahy - Australian Schoolboys
8. ?
9. Sam Grasso - (Queensland Reds Academy 2009-2010)
10. Stefano Hunt - Western Force
11. Joe Tomane - Wallabies
12. James O'Connor - Wallabies
14. Dom Shipperley - Wallabies
15. 'Bonny' Falifetu - ?

TSS 2007
1. James Slipper (Australian Schoolboys, Wallabies)
2. Josh Cooper (Australian Schoolboys, Queensland Country Heelers 2013)
3. James Willan (Australian Schoolboys, Sydney Stars NRC)
4. Aaron Chapman (Australian Schoolboys, Queensland Reds Academy 2009)
5. Ben Evans (Queensland Schoolboys, French D2 Rugby 2014/15)
6. ?
7. Mitchell Wade (Australian Schoolboys, ACT Vikings NRC)
8.?
9. Mark Swanepoel (Force/Brumbies)
10. Jono Lance (Reds/Waratahs)
11. Simon Morahan
12. Ben Tapuai (Wallabies)
14. Luke Morahan (Reds/Force)
15. Nathan Stapleton (Cronulla Sharks NRL)

Team list NC v TGS 2007.
Could not find team list for TSS game.
Very young Firsts team which became 2008 premiers.

NC First XV
1. Corey Braithwaite
2.Tom Sayer
3.Jean- Phillipe Pradaud
4.Ted Postal
5.Nick Taylor
6.Tom Hewitt
7.Nathan Keating-Jones
8.Angus Leahy(C)
9.Sam Grasso
10.Stephano Hunt
11.Dominic Shipperley
12.James O'Connor
13.Joseph Tomane
14.Kyle Connor
15.Eli Bailie
coach Todd Dammers

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
King, that just goes to show the strength of this comp over the years.

There really does need to be a National Schools Final to be televised on Fox. Top Brisbane GPS Team Vs Top Sydney GPS Team.

Surely the cattle coming from both comps over the years mean that could be a viable initiative.

Get a couple of European Car Brands to sponsor it and have an expensive sports jacket with leather arm patches given away to the most vigorous supporter on the day. Done!

Given that the ARU has a 1,000+ reasons to be grateful to GPS rugby in NSW and QLD for producing a vast number of its players, it's simply laughable how little they do to build on it and promote it. And the standard of rugby is remarkably high for 16-18 yr olds. The folllowing from the schools and parents is pure rugby passion, mostly of the best kind.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
BBC is through to the final of the Sanix World Rugby Youth Tournament, following a resounding 34-8 win over Scots College New Zealand. They will be facing off against Paul Roos Gymnasium from South Africa in the Final.

wow . what a massive upset .
Scots were not only NZ schools champs but had 3 Nz schoolboys including sons of Tana Umunga x 2 plus John Schusters boy . go Aussie rugby

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
wow . what a massive upset .
Scots were not only NZ schools champs but had 3 Nz schoolboys including sons of Tana Umunga x 2 plus John Schusters boy . go Aussie rugby

And I hear they did it without star 10 and 2nd year 1st xv player Sonson Raroren . Is BBC finally getting some depth ??
I hear they are the walking wounded at the moment with the 13 out as well . If they get within 20 of South African boys it will be s good effort as many of them are in the Sharks academy .

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It was their 1st game of the tournament against probably the strongest Japanese school in the comp. The BBC team looks big and strong though a little rusty and maybe not as match fit (or big and strong) as the SA team at that same point in time.
Also strange referring and opposition team tactics but the BBC team seem well drilled on the laws of the game and very professional in their post game practice (not surprising as the Aussie schoolboy coach is the team coach)

I would still put the house on Paul Roos for the final by 30, but would really love to proved wrong yet again.

Win or lose against Paul Roos, I don't think this makes BBC a shoe-in for the QLD gps title at all (every school will be lining up to beat them and most schools on their day could)

Despite the weakness of the national side, I think the QLD and NSW GPS schoolboy competition is right up there with the best schoolboy rugby in the world.

The English have their semi pro academy schools..and look how that has turned out at Sanix

The South Africans and the Kiwis have a system where rugby is the number 1 sport and they send their national champion from the previous year.

We don't.

Go BBC!
Two teams step onto the field, one wins and one looses.

Play your hearts out and walk tall at the end.
Green, white, black....proud no matter what

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I know but tune in about 12 hours from now to find out the result. Looking at the SA team its hard to believe that the Aussies can win. They are so big and well drilled

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yep, I just watched their youtube highlights of one of their games - huge indeed. I would imagine their average age would be higher than our Qld schoolboys because they definitely look like older as well. Oh well, good challenge for BBC, they've done exceptionally well to make the final and I would expect they would be going into the final game to win. So good luck boys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.