• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Why is it NSW have a u16 state championship and Qld do not. If Qld Colleges etc are going to continue and bring back 18 year olds for a third year of senior surely this is an option. I read that students have experience, but if they can't make it after one go in year 12 why not give the "traditional age" lads a go. If we are going have "boys" qualify that from schools that have average squad ages above 18 yrs this must be a consideration.

Before I begin, please note that there are no third year seniors in the competition. GPS rules expressly forbid athlete's from competing if they turn 19 in a calendar year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
Before I begin, please note that there are no third year seniors in the competition. GPS rules expressly forbid athlete's from competing if they turn 19 in a calendar year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, aware of the no 19 year olds.
Senior over three years is one in yr 11 and two in yr 12. Schools are now getting year 10 boys to repeat to stop the "bad" look of a 2nd year in yr 12.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yep, aware of the no 19 year olds.
Senior over three years is one in yr 11 and two in yr 12. Schools are now getting year 10 boys to repeat to stop the "bad" look of a 2nd year in yr 12.

Really??? - Senior over three years is spreading out the full work load over 3 years, (e.g. 5, 5, 4 subjects per year) otherwise it would be call Yr 12 in 2. This is because the training load in yr 11 for these students is most likely as big as Yr 12 and some of the OP subjects start counting in Yr 11.

I can't imagine any parent or student agreeing to a year 10 student doing 3 subjects a year (just because they have training 3 times a week). If you are finding yr 10 that difficult that you need to do it over 2 years, 11 and 12 in 2 will be a huge ask

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
Really??? - Senior over three years is spreading out the full work load over 3 years, (e.g. 5, 5, 4 subjects per year) otherwise it would be call Yr 12 in 2. This is because the training load in yr 11 for these students is most likely as big as Yr 12 and some of the OP subjects start counting in Yr 11.

I can't imagine any parent or student agreeing to a year 10 student doing 3 subjects a year (just because they have training 3 times a week). If you are finding yr 10 that difficult that you need to do it over 2 years, 11 and 12 in 2 will be a huge ask
Beer Baron, when you repeat grade 10, as william Wallace commented, you simply repeat the year. Meaning you do the same subjects again. You don't do half the subjects and then the other half next year. And believe me, even for the parents, repeating any of those senior years for the rugby students, has nothing to do with academia.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's just four teams in under 12! GT, IGS, TGS and ATC (former ATC). 2 day event.

I think the under 13s might just be ATC and IGS and just one day.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
It's just four teams in under 12! GT, IGS, TGS and ATC (former ATC). 2 day event.

I think the under 13s might just be ATC and IGS and just one day.

IgS were also at the recent QRL under 12 carnival handing out " how to apply to IGS " brochures.
their 12s and 13s will be very strong this year but very league orientated.
those 2 new polynesian boys in GT under 12s are ridiculously good.
warning- GT are on the rise and mean business- particularly if you are a back play league and attend Cav Rd high or Wavell High.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
I believe one of new GT players you speak of in the U12s has suffered an injury.

That is sad to hear.I saw them play in the trials-scoring tries at will.They were that good they had to take them off.
The IGS v GT under 12 match will be high quality.
Although I must say I am surprised there has not been more of an uproar from the traditional GT parents of "Little Jonnies" who are now in the Bs.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Although I must say I am surprised there has not been more of an uproar from the traditional GT parents of "Little Jonnies" who are now in the Bs.

I think the issue is two fold - one GT looks to be very strategic about this recruitment only bringing in a couple of boys in each age group and aimed at strengthening weaknesses, sure there is more than a couple coming in at U12/U13 this year but those are big intake years and no body expected the 11A side from 2014 to in any way resemble the U12A side in 2015 regardless of any 'recruitment'. GT has 3x the boys in that age group this year.

Secondly GT has struggled to complete in major sport especially Rugby over the past decade and the parents and old boys have pushed for the college to be more aggressive in the market place.

While no one in Red and Black wants to see the school go the way of the of the big scholarship colleges (you know who you are) there is a general acceptance that to remain competitive one needs to actively target quality athletes.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I think the issue is two fold - one GT looks to be very strategic about this recruitment only bringing in a couple of boys in each age group and aimed at strengthening weaknesses, sure there is more than a couple coming in at U12/U13 this year but those are big intake years and no body expected the 11A side from 2014 to in any way resemble the U12A side in 2015 regardless of any 'recruitment'. GT has 3x the boys in that age group this year.

Secondly GT has struggled to complete in major sport especially Rugby over the past decade and the parents and old boys have pushed for the college to be more aggressive in the market place.

While no one in Red and Black wants to see the school go the way of the of the big scholarship colleges (you know who you are) there is a general acceptance that to remain competitive one needs to actively target quality athletes.
You can't get a little bit pregnant BnG

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
You can't get a little bit pregnant BnG

Not sure I entirley agree I don't think you have to go all out and bring in new nucleus every year as has been tried over the last few years at some schools, but bringing in key additions to support your nucleus is vital.

I can assure you the talk about GT's recruitment in highly exaggerated and if anything is only more strategic and focusing on earlier years than what has been happening over the past few years since our disasterous year being beaten by 80 odd a few years back.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
When you talk of schools who bring in a new nucleus every year who do you refer to BnG ?

Specific examples would be appreciated as well

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
That is sad to hear.I saw them play in the trials-scoring tries at will.They were that good they had to take them off.
The IGS v GT under 12 match will be high quality.

good luck to GT .from what i hear they must be good kids because there has hardly been a peep out of the parents.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
From dispatches I'm getting out of Sydney the boys in Qld 1 and Qld 11 that are standing up are from Nudgee and BBC.
Ominous signs for anyone hoping to challenge NC for the title this year.

And BAG I wouldn't worry about justifying the so called GT "Claytons" recruitment drive in anyway, NC have been doing it for 20 years and they couldn't give a full bingo board!

And another North Boondall premiership could well be on the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.