• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michalak

Bob McCowan (2)
BGS team prediction anyone?

Looks like an interesting year this year, with BBC and TSS the frontrunners. BBC with Ikatu (Aus Schools) and Simpson (Qld Schools) returning for another year of grade 12 should really bolster their team.

NC may be a bit off the mark this year with the majority of their 2015 team leaving school and superstars like Reece hewat and Gaving Luka moving on. I think 2017 might be the year for Nudgee's 41st premiership.

GT are definitely the darkhorses this year with (I think) 6 or 7 players from last years side back, plus a good 16s and 15s age group last year. They will really challenge this year with guys like Lucas, Nasser and Eadie returning. They must all be frontrunners for Qld jerseys.

BSHS, IGS and TGS I know nothing about but apparently all 3 will be competitive this year. BGS will be an interesting team to watch, seeing if they can make a change to 3 years of poor results. I think their team (on paper) will be the best since 2013. It's difficult to see Churchie going 3-peat since all of their 2014/2015 stars have moved on but stranger things have happened.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Just had a flick through last year's Queensland U15s team.

Nudgee have seven, BGS have three, Ipswich have three, Southport have two, BBC, Toowoomba and Churchie have one.

Also included my match report from their match against NSW.

Queensland U15
  1. Emile Tuimavave (Brisbane Grammar School in 2016)
  2. Tyrell Kopua (Keebra Park in 2015)
  3. Thomas Forde (Nudgee College)
  4. Thomas Van Der Schyff (The Southport School)
  5. Mitch Wood (Nudgee College)
  6. Ollie Shepherd (Brisbane Grammar School)
  7. Alex Colvin (Nudgee College)
  8. Joseph Small (Nudgee College)
  9. Jim Chapman (The Southport School)
  10. James Hartland (Gregory Terrace)
  11. Ashley Marsh (Helensvale in 2015)
  12. Thomas Gilbert (Brisbane Grammar School)
  13. Xavier Soli (Nudgee College)
  14. Ryan Shepherd (Nudgee College)
  15. Cooper Whiteside (Ipswich Grammar School)
  16. Sinilau Mana’ia-Wolske (Ipswich Grammar School)
  17. Zac Charles (Churchie)
  18. Phransis Sula-Siaosi (Coombabah High in 2015)
  19. Jack Buckley (Brisbane Boys’ College)
  20. Wolfgang Wallace (Ipswich Grammar School)
  21. Tom Blackmore (Nudgee College)
  22. Thomas Wagner (Toowoomba Grammar School)
  23. Jangala Bennett (St Peters in 2015)
Queensland U15 v NSW U15 Match Report

Nic Darveniza

The Queensland Reds U15 Representative team have seen off their New South Wales counter-parts 39-22 in front of a passionate Ballymore crowd.

Teams were selected from a talent pool of seven Queensland based Junior Gold Cup teams.

Coach Tyrell Barker said: “I was really happy with the effort of the lads. Individually New South Wales were a very good side and we knew that, we just needed to make sure that we could match the physicality they would bring and I think we handled that challenge well.

“Our Captain Joseph Small (NC) was exceptional. The starting centres Tom Gilbert (BGS) and Xavier Soli (NC) were also very very strong, but we expected that from them. We had good impact off our bench as well: Wolfgang Wallace (IGS) was awesome, winning a few key turnovers, and Sinilau Wolske (IGS) was another one as well. Whether they were starting or were coming off the bench this was a team effort and all 23 of the blokes did the Reds proud.

“Ultimately when you play for Queensland you want to win, but long-term we wanted this to be about giving them an opportunity to play at a Queensland level but also to develop their skills in this next level environment, with players of their own ability. Ultimately it gives us a look at players of the future and look at the ones we should continue to invest in”

High levels of communication throughout the match lent to a concerted team effort from the young Queenslanders.

The Waratahs attacked tight for most of the fixture in hopes of overpowering the Queensland defenders, but were foiled by a courageous defensive effort.

Queensland captain Joseph Small lead from the front at the No.8 position, registering a number of try-saving tackles, turnovers and a 40m try of his own in a Man of the Match performance.

Despite shooting out to an early lead Queensland fell asleep midway through the match, enabling New South Wales to close the gap within five points with 15’ to go.

With the match on the line Queensland increased their tempo to overwhelm their visitors 32-22 by full-time.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I also had a look at all of last year's JGC U15s.

I imagine that all 106 guys are entering Grade 11 this year, so these names should all be split between 16 A/B and First XV.

I've bolded the guy's who made Queensland U15. You'd imagine they'd play First XV in 2016.

Caveat: I'm only aware of one import from this JGC class - Emile Tuimavave from Coombabah SS to BGS. There could more JGC reps that have moved to GPS schools that I'm unaware of.

Toowoomba Grammar (24)
Adams, Mitch (TGS)
Anderson, Cameron (TGS)
Bailey, James (TGS)
Barry, William (TGS)
Chaffey, William (TGS)
Cikota, Djordiji/George (TGS)
Cole, Tom (TGS)
Dickenson, Tom (TGS)
Hannah, Jack (TGS)
Harris, William (TGS)
Jakins, Angus (TGS)
Laffy, Sam (TGS
Kleidon, James (TGS)
Kuskie, Rory (TGS)
Mann, Ben (TGS)
Penberthy, Matthew (TGS)
Reddan, Sam (TGS)
Scott, James (TGS)
Sinnamon, James (TGS)
Smit, Oscar (TGS)
Spanner, Chris (TGS)
Stanford, Sam (TGS)
Wagner, Tom (TGS)
Wigan, William (TGS)

NC (17)
Bailey Tautau, NC
Hugo Smith, NC
Luke Chisholm, NC
Tom Forde, NC
Jackson Matchett, NC
Joseph Small, NC (c)
Ryan Shepherd, NC
Thomas Blackmore, NC
Tigger Sykes, NC
Xavier Soli, NC
Alex Colvin, NC
Anton Malan, NC
Harrison Jennings, NC
Matt Lo Grande, NC
Mitch Wood, NC
Sam Beaver, NC
Ngiyaani Waters, NC

Terrace (16)
Alex Cummins, GT
Byron Ralston, GT
Charlie Round, GT
Ethan Dobbins, GT
Nathan O’Rourke, GT
Sam Hearne, GT
Jay Tavita, GT
Levi White, GT
Xaiver Siolo, GT
Zachary Galis, GT
James Hartland, GT
Jono Condon, GT
Lachlan Maloney, GT
Jacob Stocker, GT
Nick Cross, GT
Aidan Latter, GT

BSHS (13)
Christian Suemalo, BSHS
Josh Smith, BSHS
Mason Redman, BSHS
Nesta Mahina, BSHS
Bradman Williams, BSHS
Jack Robinson, BSHS
Moses Alo-Emile, BSHS
Pulusila Lafitani, BSHS
Stanley Taulani, BSHS
Isaac Crone, BSHS
Jonah Ale, BSHS
Marcellus Roberts, BSHS
Sam McKenzie, BSHS

IGS (10)
Cooper Whiteside, IGS
Emmitt Keepa, IGS
Eugene Koorts, IGS
James Green, IGS
Joseph Faulalo, IGS
Joshua Latu-Meafue, IGS
Sinilau-Mana’ia Wolske, IGS
Tristan Seeto, IGS
Villiami Lea, IGS
Wolfgang Wallace, IGS

TSS (7)
Lachlan Bruce, TSS
Jim Chapman, TSS
Harry Cox, TSS
Lachlan Gillet, TSS
Zane Noggorr, TSS
Tyson Spisich, TSS
Thomas Vander Schyff, TSS

Churchie (7)
Finlay Hume, ACGS
George Tarabay, ACGS
Isaac Brosnan, ACGS
Max Drummond, ACGS
Zac Charles, ACGS
Callum Walker, ACGS
Dan Phillips, ACGS

BBC (7)
Finn Morton, BBC
Jack Buckley, BBC
Jonathan Springthorpe, BBC
Tom Kibble, BBC
Joseph Gilmour, BBC
Ruan Peter, BBC
Armstrong, Oliver (BBC)

BGS (5)
Emile Tuimavave, BGS
Will Gilbert, BGS
Will Borger, BGS
Nick Whip, BGS
Ollie Shepherd, BGS

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
BGS team prediction anyone?

Looks like an interesting year this year, with BBC and TSS the frontrunners. BBC with Ikatu (Aus Schools) and Simpson (Qld Schools) returning for another year of grade 12 should really bolster their team.

NC may be a bit off the mark this year with the majority of their 2015 team leaving school and superstars like Reece hewat and Gaving Luka moving on. I think 2017 might be the year for Nudgee's 41st premiership.

GT are definitely the darkhorses this year with (I think) 6 or 7 players from last years side back, plus a good 16s and 15s age group last year. They will really challenge this year with guys like Lucas, Nasser and Eadie returning. They must all be frontrunners for Qld jerseys.

BSHS, IGS and TGS I know nothing about but apparently all 3 will be competitive this year. BGS will be an interesting team to watch, seeing if they can make a change to 3 years of poor results. I think their team (on paper) will be the best since 2013. It's difficult to see Churchie going 3-peat since all of their 2014/2015 stars have moved on but stranger things have happened.

agree with you . A lot depends on injuries.Ikatu and Simpson had great national series but poor old Ben played half a game total in GPS and Len played two( and was clearly injured in both)

Danny Jnr

Bob McCowan (2)
Can anyone tell me who will be back for Churchie this year in the First XV. I have been told that they also have 2 news boys from up North can anyone confirm??

Michalak

Bob McCowan (2)
Churchie have 2 new players that I know of. One from a league background from the Coast and the other from the Wide Bay region

<Post edited by Mod.>

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
TK,
Phransis Sula Siaosi is at NC this year. Has had shoulder surgery so it will be of interest if he figures this year with NC.
Early days, tight five looking like a NC tight five............farkin big, albeit unfit. I think term 3 is a blessing for the coaches, but bloody painful for us rugby tragics.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)

While you're probably right about NC being better in 2017, I think the '16 cohort have the potential to be on the mark with the u16s and 15s from last year. I think in a years time we'll be saying one or two of the names TK listed above with the same admiration of a Reece or a Gavin. All the boys listed above have this opportunity. But for my mind Ryan Sherpherd and Mitch Wood potentially fit into this category the most for NC as they are blessed with out and out speed. Big call early on I know, but that's one thing you can't coach. Wood was injured for the entire '15 GPS season and I think NC missed him in the wider channels.

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good to keep playing down NC this year, like listening to other schools be talked up. Returning 1st xv, last years joint yr16 winners and talented young uns like Small and Wood might just suprise a few! (2017 will look after itself :)

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)

Don't Forget Sean Farrell -Qld 2 last year is also back(grade 11 last year)
He also only played 2 matches in in 1sts 2015.
But we have heard all this before from Toowong.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
yes - he is bigger than Evander Guttenbeil and repeating grade 11.
Another boy from the northern NSW connection

I have now seen this young man.Big is an understatement.Bigger than Evander ever was.
A rock for the scrum and a big runner I am told.

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
Nudgee have a number of players returning from last years 1st XV:

Willie Malala (QLD1 2015)
TJ Meni (brother of Kalala QLD1 and Barbarians 2015)
Semisi Tupou
Augustus Rangihuna
Josh Dalle Cort
Joe Cotton

From the 16A's they also have Tom Jeffries (brother of Nick 2014 and Sam 2012) and Hayden Moseley (brother of Liam 2015).

Apparently many of last year's 15A's have turned up to the start of the season not as fit as they should be.... going to be a hard pre season for them. Also shows how much the others catch up in size over the years as some of those boys that were huge for years are now looking quite average.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
So how does this sound for a Nudgee First XV prediction, 23 odd weeks away from Week 1.

1. Phransis Sula-Siaosi
2. ?
3. Thomas Forde
4. Josh Dalle Cort
5. Mitch Wood
6. Tom Jeffries
7. Alex Colvin
8. Joseph Small
9. Tom Blackmore
10. Augustus Rangihuna
11. TJ Meni
12. Semisi Tupou
13. Xavier Soli
14. Ryan Shepherd
15. Willie Malala

Good returning experience, plenty of rep players..

I wonder if Tom Jeffries turns out like Sam (absolute animal) or like Nick (just fits in)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
BGS

1. Emile Tuimavave
2. Mitch Straker
3. Max Eiszele
4. Joe Baboolal
5. Ollie Shepherd
6. Johnny Shaw
7. Fraser McReight
8. Hugh Arthur

All I've got. Gilbert at 12

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
If Massellos is at three I'd expect Straker to drop out, Eiszele to hooker.

I'd rather have Straker in the team. Good rugby family. Elder brother Jack was Grammar's only Australian schoolboy in 2009

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)
So how does this sound for a Nudgee First XV prediction, 23 odd weeks away from Week 1.

1. Phransis Sula-Siaosi
2. ?
3. Thomas Forde
4. Josh Dalle Cort
5. Mitch Wood
6. Tom Jeffries
7. Alex Colvin
8. Joseph Small
9. Tom Blackmore
10. Augustus Rangihuna
11. TJ Meni
12. Semisi Tupou
13. Xavier Soli
14. Ryan Shepherd
15. Willie Malala

I wonder if Tom Jeffries turns out like Sam (absolute animal) or like Nick (just fits in)

I think you crystal ball may need a bit of cleaning especially the forwards, but to be fair a 23 weeks prediction is tough!
I'm looking forward to the NC v BBC match up as i am sure the nudgee boys will be keen to 'catch up' with their old coach.....

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)

1. Phransis Sula-Siaosi
2. ?
3. Thomas Forde
4. Josh Dalle Cort
5. Mitch Wood
6. Tom Jeffries
7. Alex Colvin
8. Joseph Small
9. Tom Blackmore
10. Augustus Rangihuna
11. TJ Meni
12. Semisi Tupou
13. Xavier Soli
14. Ryan Shepherd
15. Willie Malala

I think if Colvin plays in this team it will now be in Front Row.

Jeffries is not a loose forward. Will be in the top two tallest in the comp if he plays (his rowing ambitions may get in way this year - it is why he is doing yr12 over two years I heard). Probably Wood to play at No6.

Looks like TauTau will find it difficult to get in.

I thought Blackmore was a winger. Will McKee have a shot at half or flyhalf?

Thanks for getting actual team discussions going King

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
BGS

1. Emile Tuimavave
2. Mitch Straker
3. Max Eiszele
4. Joe Baboolal
5. Ollie Shepherd
6. Johnny Shaw
7. Fraser McReight
8. Hugh Arthur

All I've got. Gilbert at 12

I always thought McReight would be no. 8 or if on side of scrum I thought more suited to no. 6. If you are right, his third different position in three years.

Is Hogan a chance at flyhalf or fullback?

Status
Not open for further replies.