• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
If you're playing the 'not big enough' card then Murray also fits into this category. He wouldn't be anything over 80 odd kg's and for a modern day wing/fullback/centre that is too light.

Neal McNamara has played in age grade reps sides all the way through and plays halfback . I didn't think he got much time in 2015?

Try tell that to Josh Coward, Jaydn Ngamanu, Joey Fittock, Kris Verevis, Oli Fison, Matt Forsyth during school. 80 kg isn't neccessarily too light, I was more concerned with Lucas' frame when 'playing' the not big enough card.

Happily accepted that his size was 100% a non-issue after I did my research.

I didn't think McNamara played much at all either, but I was discussing the team with a State High player who corrected me. He thinks Jackson Tame and McNamara were the starters, Lalagavesi came off the bench after Mahina moved in to 10.

The injury of Andre Clark complicated the State High backline, just like BBC's constant shuffling of halfbacks and wingers complicated theirs.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
My crystal ball predicts 2/3 wins for BGS max but they will definitely make it hard for other teams

I'd consider giving the ball another polish. BGS' forward pack has the potential to be one of the competition's best.

One of the biggest shortcomings over previous seasons was letting teams overpower them up front. The backline could do little but watch.

This year I can't see any team bullying Grammar in the forwards, and the backline will benefit.

I'm predicting a finish anywhere between 4-6.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Did some googling and didn't expect to find this!

It turns out just about every flyhalf I looked at is between 176 cm and 185 cm, bar a few notable exceptions.

Super Rugby Flyhalves
Aaron Cruden - 175 cm, 84 kg
Lima Sopoaga - 175 cm, 84 kg
Beauden Barrett - 187 cm, 92 kg
Richie Mounga - 176 cm, 84 kg
Ihaia West - 174 cm, 84 kg
Bernard Foley - 182, 84 kg
Jake McIntyre - 177, 86 kg
Jono Lance - 183, 92 kg
Jack Debreczeni - 192, 100 kg
Christian Leallifano - 179 cm, 95 kg

Former GPS flyhalves
Liam Moseley - 178 cm, 79 kg (AFL draft weight, not rugby playing weight)
Mitch Third - 175 cm, 87 kg
Sam Greene - 178 cm, 88 kg
Brodie Croft - 177 cm, 83 kg
Mack Mason - 178 cm, 83 kg
Carlin Anderson - 180 cm, 88 kg
James Tuttle - 176 cm, 84 kg
Paddy James - 185 cm, 88 kg
Billy Brittain - 177 cm, 80 kg
UJ Seuteni - 185 cm, 90 kg
Matt Parcell - 181 cm, 99 kg

Lucas Siblings
Ben Lucas - 178, 81 kg (9, 10, 15)
Tom Lucas - 181, 83 kg (10, 12)
Matt Lucas - 174, 80 kg (9)
Isaac Lucas - ?
Haha you must have read my post before I deleted it, if you didn't then thanks for posting this. In #9 and #10 typically the smaller player has had to work on skills to compensate for other shortfalls, when I have been selecting a 9 or a 10 I look for the best skill set, "size" normally gets discussed if there are defensive weaknesses, but normally the best skill set if the boy is tall thats a bonus, in fact the form NZ flyhalves are the smallest, however they always impact the outcome for there super rugby teams.
I had doubts about Lucas but after seeing him play at TSS he is in my opinion the pick of the GPS flyhalves, reads the game well and he executed the GT gameplan superbly, and has all the skills and an educated boot most importantly though is that he is not a robot he plays like a NZ flyhalf that plays what he sees and whats in front.
Most schoolboy 10s in GPS play like they arre restricted and have been programmed to play a certain way. In my opinion

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
And the award for the most ironic username goes to.

Never did I even remotely suggest that having elder siblings be successful at rugby was a prerequisite to making the first XV, and even a marking criteria for rep selectors.

I gave 25 examples of players with family backgrounds. Common sense would suggest that are still 130 odd players with no previous family experience that made the First XV.

I hope he plays outside centre. He was so, so good there last year and I'm frothing a combination with Xavier Soli in midfield.

With regards to Terrace, is the backline shaping up anything like this?

10. Isaac Lucas
11. Jordan Rogers
12. Bailey Ralston
13. Ed Burns
14. Will Eadie
15. Jimmy Hartland
Ed Burns graduated
Hartland has not made an impact at all this year, has not been seen in 1st XV trials at all?
New Centers, New fullback

Early days yet

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
To be fair it actually did make life difficult especially for Fison and Forsyth.

Forsyth maybe - not Fison though. Forsyth didn't even seem to be over 80kgs in his final year of school. Fison was around 83kgs and this didn't seem to affect him in any way - was one of the most underrated outside backs in the competition last year.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
I'd consider giving the ball another polish. BGS' forward pack has the potential to be one of the competition's best.

One of the biggest shortcomings over previous seasons was letting teams overpower them up front. The backline could do little but watch.

This year I can't see any team bullying Grammar in the forwards, and the backline will benefit.

People seem to be questioning the depth of the BGS front row when really there are 5 viable options competing for 3 positions. Providing that BGS aren't hit with their annual injury curse this year, the forward pack will definitely challenge the big name schools. Agree with an earlier post that McReight is a 7. Hopefully the representative selectors recognise this. However, he is the best option for the No. 8 jersey at BGS and that's where he will be playing come school season. BGS are still yet to find someone to accompany Gilbert in the centres and this could prove to be a real problem with No. 12 being such a critical position.

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)

Fair enough King but after watching last week, it's looks like theyll need to score early tries as NC with a under strength side ran in 3 trys at a canter. think the forwards will slow up and the backs will drop off tackles in the last 20!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPSupporter

Bob McCowan (2)

From what I saw last year the BGS forward pack was not the major problem. They had a dominant lineout in most games and the scrum was also reasonable all things considered. Although they did lack size I feel they were not the ones who let the team down especially in games such as against BBC where the backs were carved apart and I'm sure the forwards were exhausted from running back and forth between the try line and the halfway line. I'm also told the two player of the year awards (don't know why there's two?) both went to forwards so how could you say that they were the problem?

As far as this years team they will be much better as they were quite young last year but I think they will suffer from many of the same issues. The backs will let the team down.

Also Ben Simpson is very good and should be one of the first picked in that side of yours based on the last few years form.

Also does anyone have team lists for the next round of trials?

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
From what I saw last year the BGS forward pack was not the major problem. They had a dominant lineout in most games and the scrum was also reasonable all things considered. Although they did lack size I feel they were not the ones who let the team down especially in games such as against BBC where the backs were carved apart and I'm sure the forwards were exhausted from running back and forth between the try line and the halfway line. I'm also told the two player of the year awards (don't know why there's two?) both went to forwards so how could you say that they were the problem?

As far as this years team they will be much better as they were quite young last year but I think they will suffer from many of the same issues. The backs will let the team down.

Also Ben Simpson is very good and should be one of the first picked in that side of yours based on the last few years form.

Also does anyone have team lists for the next round of trials?
Yes, true, but the player of the year awards were given to Phillips and McReight who were both backrowers. I think when we are discussing the strength of the BGS forward pack we are making specific reference to the tight 5, which will be quite strong this year.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I wouldn't call BGS' an injury curse, more a captaincy curse...

2013: 7. Pat Morrey, total knee explosion. Did the lot in Round 2
2014: 13. Lachi Lanskey, shoulder. Out for season, in pre-season
2015: 13. Mick Wolstenholme, shoulder? Out for season in Round 2

2016: 7. Fraser McReight? Walking on egg shells!

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Identity theft is a crime, 'Darvo'. I can't imagine what Bill would say.

Just sat down and looked at all the returning players for this season, and threw together a returning First XV. Obviously new students + last year's 15 and 16As will throw some bolters in to the mix for a Queensland team, but this ain't that.
  1. Lloyd Gorman (State High)
  2. Blake Schoupp (Nudgee)
  3. Chris Yanopa (BBC - you can't ignore the little fireball!)
  4. Angus Blyth (Southport, tall timber being headhunted by the AFL. They always take one super tall lock regardless of ability)
  5. Hugh Arthur (Brisbane Grammar - injured in 2015)

6. Fraser McReight (Brisbane Grammar, third year of First XV)
  7. Tipene Mavoa (Southport)
  8. Isaac Lucas (Gregory Terrace, flyhalf destined for a move to 9 eventually)
  9. Augustus Rangihuna (Nudgee)
  10. Brendan Malala (Nudgee)
  11. Ashton Watson (Toowoomba Grammar)
  12. Len Ikitau (BBC)
  13. Will Eadie (Gregory Terrace)
  14. Murray Taulagi (State High)
  15. Sean Farrell (BBC - third year of First XV)
  16. Oliver Macklin (GT)
  17. Josh Nasser (GT - needs set piece improvement, but size + pedigree helps)
  18. Richard Clift (TGS)
  19. Patrick Tafa (BSHS)
  20. Isaac Henry (BBC - only returning halfback)
  21. Semisi Tupou (NC - this kid is going to be good)
  22. Tristan Stanghorn (Churchie)

Keep the posts coming Mr King
Always fair and knowledgeable.
I am sorry to say that your "little fireball" ( from PNG - via Cairns )is still injured and has not trained for many weeks- but as ever is always smiling.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Sat down last night with a former team-mate of Jaydn Su'a's last night to watch his Broncos debut. Looked like he had a tough one - the Tigers really tried to rattle him by sending runners through his channel all night.

The former team-mate also told me that Brendan Malala was too old to play First XV this year? I'm not sure if I believe it, so hoping someone else can confirm.

I also learnt that Matthew Faessler from Toowoomba is returning this year, so he would be my first choice for Queensland. My ex-player also chose Declan Day to start at Loosehead.

I asked whether Tristan Stanghorn would be a bolster for Queensland, to which he replied "I think he'd be a bolter for Australia. He's really bulked up this year, he's much stronger". Combine that with his ability to run great lines and combine with support, Stanghorn might be this year's Dylan Riley on that approximation.

On the Murray Taulagi question, the ex-player (and current teammate of Murray's) said: "Murray has been absolutely shredding in Premier Colts. There's no way he misses out on Queensland"

I showed him the video of TSS import Sam Dobb, and his reply was "Thank Christ I've graduated. He'll play Australian schoolboys for sure"

This conversation took place over many hours and many beers, but I thought his views would interest the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
I wouldn't call BGS' an injury curse, more a captaincy curse.

2013: 7. Pat Morrey, total knee explosion. Did the lot in Round 2
2014: 13. Lachi Lanskey, shoulder. Out for season, in pre-season
2015: 13. Mick Wolstenholme, shoulder? Out for season in Round 2

2016: 7. Fraser McReight? Walking on egg shells!

Don't even mention that last line King!

Status
Not open for further replies.