• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash Pure Rugby

Frank Row (1)
Not that relevant. Size, as you touched on, is the big one
Speed at this level is extremely relevant. It's the pace that the modern game is played at along with a higher rate of execution that is the difference between teams. In the modern game big but slow gets shown up easily. That's why it's tested at junior elite levels by the ARU from U15 onwards. It's why the big kid who has always run through smaller kids fades out of the game as the other kids get bigger and ' faster '. Speed in all positions rules.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
So do BBC have 4 year 12evers coming back this year Gungenia? Because Henry was the only year 11 and you say 5 are returning from the backline.

Wrong.
Green was grade 11 as was T Raoren .
Both in my brothers CConnell RL team.

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)
Speed at this level is extremely relevant. It's the pace that the modern game is played at along with a higher rate of execution that is the difference between teams. In the modern game big but slow gets shown up easily. That's why it's tested at junior elite levels by the ARU from U15 onwards. It's why the big kid who has always run through smaller kids fades out of the game as the other kids get bigger and ' faster '. Speed in all positions rules.
Agree with speed is vital but where i was going is that a strong 15a player doesn't automatically make him a 1st VX player above good 16a players!
The younger lads not only need to obtain a bit of extra bulk but also maturity! This can only be found out during pre season with the older grades!
So banding around names because of thier rep in younger years is a bit premature and narrow minded.
IMO bulk is also vital to achieve go forward, thats how ACGS won last year with good quality front foot ball to quick backs!

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree with speed is vital but where i was going is that a strong 15a player doesn't automatically make him a 1st VX player above good 16a players!
The younger lads not only need to obtain a bit of extra bulk but also maturity! This can only be found out during pre season with the older grades!
So banding around names because of thier rep in younger years is a bit premature and narrow minded.
IMO bulk is also vital to achieve go forward, thats how ACGS won last year with good quality front foot ball to quick backs!

The "Promotion" of previous years 15a players to 1st XV has always happened it helps to build depth in schools and cover injuries and recognises and rewards talented players, they may not play every game but many will debut.

Not taking anything away from previous year 16a players many of whom will likely start or cement positions in the 1st XV that's a given, it would be silly of schools not forward plan especially if the cohort from the previous 15as were a strong side.

In my opinion the 2015 Nudgee 15a cohort included some very special individuals that would perform well at 1st XV level

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)
The "Promotion" of previous years 15a players to 1st XV has always happened it helps to build depth in schools and cover injuries and recognises and rewards talented players, they may not play every game but many will debut.

Not taking anything away from previous year 16a players many of whom will likely start or cement positions in the 1st XV that's a given, it would be silly of schools not forward plan especially if the cohort from the previous 15as were a strong side.

In my opinion the 2015 Nudgee 15a cohort included some very special individuals that would perform well at 1st XV level
Not questioning thier undoubted ability, and some will most likely figure! I just like judging lads who have matured/grown first and equally put in the effort during pre season!
Not ones who have been in the rep stream(that can sometimes inadvertently bypass some later bloomers ) and who come in by past reputation!

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Think your doing a disservice to the Nudgee 16a players who were very strong last year!

Not sure how you think those NC15a boys named are maligning any of the 16a boys. All 4 will be there or there abouts and probably one or two more from my reckoning.
When combining the returning 1st xv players, the 2015 16a's and a sprinkling of the 15a talent NC will be competitive.....
Six months of banter before we know for sure

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
When combining the returning 1st xv players, the 2015 16a's and a sprinkling of the 15a talent NC will be competitive.
Six months of banter before we know for sure
Oldschool, Yesterday at 10:34 PM Report
what ?? NC will be right up there in top 3 (as per usual)
Putting my NC eye patch on. Two years of being the bridesmaid NC are overdue.
No pressure Sean Graham, honeymoon's over......no pressure.
Taking a stab at the year ahead I think this year is more even than most, with NC pipping TSS, BSHS being the big improvers, BBC and GT rounding out the top 5. TGS still dishing out the odd upset along with the best burgers. I'm sorry TK but your going to have to wait another year for your boys to be on the right side of the win loss ratio and Ippy, well I hope you've recruited hard from Sunnybank as you've got some cattle but need some direction........

Danny Jnr

Bob McCowan (2)
Larry Dwyer (12) I didn't realise Churchie were not playing in the comp this year unless you have them coming last??? I have been told this age group has always finished in the top 3 since under 13 and have some good depth. I don't believe they can win however to not rate them IMO in a mistake.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Putting my NC eye patch on. Two years of being the bridesmaid NC are overdue.
No pressure Sean Graham, honeymoon's over..no pressure.
Taking a stab at the year ahead I think this year is more even than most, with NC pipping TSS, BSHS being the big improvers, BBC and GT rounding out the top 5. TGS still dishing out the odd upset along with the best burgers. I'm sorry TK but your going to have to wait another year for your boys to be on the right side of the win loss ratio and Ippy, well I hope you've recruited hard from Sunnybank as you've got some cattle but need some direction....

it will be same top 4 as last year but differnent 1st place
TSS are favourites then NC and BBC and ACGS although i hear the 2 new 1st xv coaches at BBC will shock the system .

faceforrugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ok,
How about this for a prediction
1 BBC
2 GT
3 NC
4 TSS
5 ACGS
6 BSHS
7 TGS
8 IGS
9 BGS

Just a bit of a go to see what people think

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Rumblings over at NC about coaching changes.
i hear BBC have the same front row back that played in match against GT which i watched.they were very dominant . the boy from PNG was a powerhouse.Expect them be very powerful in the scrums .
When do we hear about these new coaches at BBC ? if i understand correctly one is an ex Wallaby s& c coach.and the other has links to NC ( big links)

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Ok,
1 BBC
2 GT
3 NC
4 TSS
5 ACGS
6 BSHS
7 TGS
8 IGS
9 BGS

With so many back i expect tss to be higher.BBC had the best team on paper last year but had a shocking run with injuries- that will play a part.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Rumblings over at NC about coaching changes.
i hear BBC have the same front row back that played in match against GT which i watched.they were very dominant . the boy from PNG was a powerhouse.Expect them be very powerful in the scrums .
When do we hear about these new coaches at BBC ? if i understand correctly one is an ex Wallaby s& c coach.and the other has links to NC ( big links)

I'm hearing Steve Nance is confirmed - ex Broncos/ Cowboys/ Wallabies S & C.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm hearing Steve Nance is confirmed - ex Broncos/ Cowboys/ Wallabies S & C.

Yes I heard that . Wow he will shake things up . He takes no prisoners .ask Phil Kearns . New backs coach as well .
But will that help a team of stArs ( last 3 years) become a star team ???
Last year they waited for Ngamanu to do something . Year before it was josh Bowen . Frankly with the number of rep players they had and results in Japan they have underperformed . I suppose they did have a lot of injuries last year where for last 2 years ACGS. Have had hardly any

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ok,
1 BBC
2 GT
3 NC
4 TSS
5 ACGS
6 BSHS
7 TGS
8 IGS
9 BGS

What's your reasoning behind BSHS being so high? 16As were beaten last year by an under strength and a very lacklustre BGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.