• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

englishcharger

backline?
and what makes you so sure? and young talent pushing through from year 11 and 10

LineBreak15

Bob McCowan (2)
This TSS video does not show the match against BBC where TSS 16 A were pumped 28-5.
BBC did well to finish 3rd after losing 4 players to 1sts and 3 to injury after this match.

PS-stay tuned for a big name coach to be appointed to BBC soon.
Just like there "amazing team" this year ??

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Paul Warwick (Won Heineken Cup in 2008 with Munster, kicked five penalties to single handedly beat the Wallabies too) is definitely coaching BGS in 2016. No word on forwards coach yet.

Fraser McReight is an incredible athlete. He would have made any other school's First XV in 2015 and he's only in Grade 11.

Playing openside flanker's at 8 was a hallmark of Damon Emtage's coaching these last few years. I expect McReight will make the transition to 7 in 2016 and tear the house down. I hear he played well with the Qld U18 7s recently too. Kid is a star.

Also intrigued by Hugh Arthur, former NSW Country U17s player imported in Year 11, but sat out the season with a shoulder injury. He's a big unit and should play lock or eight.

Fullback Paddy Hogan shone with his goal-kicking in 2015, but didn't exactly get many kicks to practice. I imagine he'll play flyhalf in 2016 and make a fist of it, but there is a competition from a new kid for the spot - apparently a half cricket, half rugby import named Zach. That's all I've got.

Will Borger is the younger brother of behemoth GPS Ashgrove lock James borger. James was a stellar rower who was injured during 2012's Premiership year but would have been a guaranteed starter at lock. Will is much slenderer, but should prove to have an incredible engine and work rate on the pitch.

Ollie Shepherd was denied his opportunity to run on for the First XV in 2015 because he was only 15, which apparently is a legitimate rule now? He's got size and should be a helpful contributor.

Can't imagine any of the front rowers doing much. Joe Baboolal won't be making any rep teams soon on 2015 form.

I saw someone mentioned winger Andy Traves earlier - cut me a break. He had the worst match of any Brisbane Grammar player I've ever seen against Nudgee. Literally was too small, slow and unaware to do anything but let in tries, of which he let in four. From all accounts he had a good year in U16s, so he could step up in senior, but it's a long shot.

I think a mid-table finish is achievable in 2016. Gee I've waited a while to say that with a straight face

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any team predictions this early in the year? Any takers on the movers and shakers someone get it started 1st XV?
You would think statistically speaking it would be very difficult to win 3 in a row
I think terrace could be the dark horse this year, thats my tip, or guess

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
You would think statistically speaking it would be very difficult to win 3 in a row
I think terrace could be the dark horse this year, thats my tip, or guess
In saying that churchie have a possible outstanding 9 and 10 combination with tarabay and lennon

Danny Jnr

Bob McCowan (2)
This year will again come down to player management ie injuries. The problem schoolies like BBC have is the amount of quality players, and players sometimes being concern about losing their place because they have other players breathing down their neck and they play for their position and not their team. Just ask NSW state of origin team. When you lose a game replace a player or 3. IGS will be better than last year however they may have a player coach relationship problem. They will have a very fast backline however they need to work as a team. If that is resolved this then look out. BGS will finish middle bottom. 9&10 is important and they don't have it. McReight will again be there foundation. BSHS probably the best age group for state high for a number of years and will have some experience player, Fenner, Gorman and their no.10. NC will be strong as always but will miss some experience in some key position. I can't put my finger on it but they just don't excite me. Terrace will not be big but they will be mobile, play as a team, play for each other and will be very well coached. Led by Lucas at 10, Nasser up front and Jordan at 15, they could be special. This could be the start of there glory days similar to the late 70's early 80's. TSS will be solid and will be in the top 3. They have a couple of boys back but In consistence could be there problem. On there day they could beat anyone. Churchie 3 in a row may just be asking to much. They may just miss a forward or two. Only one forward with first experience Sharp but 3 backs going around again, but if the pack is not going forward makes it tough for the backs. The country boys will be solid tough and strong. They will finish 5th. In summary shared premiership between terrace and someone.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
This year will again come down to player management ie injuries. The problem schoolies like BBC have is the amount of quality players, and players sometimes being concern about losing their place because they have other players breathing down their neck and they play for their position and not their team. Just ask NSW state of origin team. When you lose a game replace a player or 3. IGS will be better than last year however they may have a player coach relationship problem. They will have a very fast backline however they need to work as a team. If that is resolved this then look out. BGS will finish middle bottom. 9&10 is important and they don't have it. McReight will again be there foundation. BSHS probably the best age group for state high for a number of years and will have some experience player, Fenner, Gorman and their no.10. NC will be strong as always but will miss some experience in some key position. I can't put my finger on it but they just don't excite me. Terrace will not be big but they will be mobile, play as a team, play for each other and will be very well coached. Led by Lucas at 10, Nasser up front and Jordan at 15, they could be special. This could be the start of there glory days similar to the late 70's early 80's. TSS will be solid and will be in the top 3. They have a couple of boys back but In consistence could be there problem. On there day they could beat anyone. Churchie 3 in a row may just be asking to much. They may just miss a forward or two. Only one forward with first experience Sharp but 3 backs going around again, but if the pack is not going forward makes it tough for the backs. The country boys will be solid tough and strong. They will finish 5th. In summary shared premiership between terrace and someone.
Sounds like an open comp. Be great to see a school other than NC, TSS or Churchie win a premiership. 12 years since Terrace won it but they do seem to have a number of players returning!

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Sounds like an open comp. Be great to see a school other than NC, TSS or Churchie win a premiership. 12 years since Terrace won it but they do seem to have a number of players returning!
NC will be strong again as a number of their talented 2015 year 10 players making the step up combined with returning players they will be a force again in 2016.
Not sure if Churchie have the cattle to challenge for a 3rd Title in as many years not too many returning players, they will have some talented backs but lack grunt in the forwards

Terrace look like top 3 contenders for the next 3 or so years with many of their 2015 year 11 cohort already tasting 1st XV rugby and a talented U15 team that underperformed in 2016 and an U14 that shared the premiership.
I believe the surprise packakge in 2016 will be BSHS

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
NC will be strong again as a number of their talented 2015 year 10 players making the step up combined with returning players they will be a force again in 2016.
Not sure if Churchie have the cattle to challenge for a 3rd Title in as many years not too many returning players, they will have some talented backs but lack grunt in the forwards

Terrace look like top 3 contenders for the next 3 or so years with many of their 2015 year 11 cohort already tasting 1st XV rugby and a talented U15 team that underperformed in 2016 and an U14 that shared the premiership.
I believe the surprise packakge in 2016 will be BSHS

This age group for Nudgee have been below par compared to previous age groups at the school over last half dozen years or so and I think the u15's from last year began to run out of puff as other schools started to match them for size. I think they will find difficult to be in top couple.

Terrace seem to have depth. With seven regular (at least 3 games) forwards returning they will be strong up front. I have heard probably only one u15 back from last year will be in contention- but will have plenty of depth if injuries.

BSHS has been strong in this age group and have done younger talent coming through.

But I always think that TSS are the dark horse as they have so much depth with 18 year olds going second time round in the Opens. Also hear they have a great no. 8 coming through from last year's u15's.

BGS always struggled in this age group and the year below. Over last four years I think the two age groups have only won one or two games in GPS rugby between them. McReight will be a stand out in his third year but without support around him the team will not convert.

It will be a close season again. Can't wait.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Deleted quote from deleted post

This is not a recruitment site or a "player promotional site". This forum is about GPS football in 2016. Can we stay on point please? I believe the current topic is about 1st XV prospects etc...I think there may be a more relevant site or forum for this video where this lads talents can be discussed ...

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
TSS will have a strong base on which to build in 2016 with a few 1XV players in for the second year.
Tipene Mavoa (flanker), Angus Blythe (Lock @ over 2.1m tall), Egan Siggs (Prop), Noah Lolesio (centre/wing), Max Dowd (Full Back), Noah Scalan (Scrum Half).

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
From my reports this State High year has a very high quality first 15, probably as good as they will be this year, except lack depth. Watch out in the first few rounds, but towards the end, they will run out of steam.

Ippy to be Bottom, and BGS to pick up 2 big surprise wins.

TSS surely have to be favourites with some big boys and some slick backs coming back as well as their other 18 year olds.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Good to see BBC flying under the radar with no one mentioning them.7 boys back(whole backline except 15) plus 16A came 2nd in 2015.
Expect a big big announcement on BBC coaching staff soon.
Is it correct that 3 new boys from Iona are starting at ACGS this year to join number 13?
I would not place too much faith in 15 A premierships equating to 1st xv .Look at GT from Lachlan Maranta's year.
BBC 15 A destroyed everyone in 2013 but that equated to 3rd in 2015.It depends how many boys in other schools repeat/senior over 2 years.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Good to see BBC flying under the radar with no one mentioning them.7 boys back(whole backline except 15) plus 16A came 2nd in 2015.
Is it correct that 3 new boys from Iona are starting at ACGS this year to join number 13?
I would not place too much faith in 15 A premierships equating to 1st xv .Look at GT from Lachlan Maranta's year.
BBC 15 A destroyed everyone in 2013 but that equated to 3rd in 2015.It depends how many boys in other schools repeat/senior over 2 years.

Surely that can't be right regarding BBC? I know of only 1 boy who was in year 11 in the backline, so therefor you must be saying that 5 others must be repeating?

They will be a top 3 contender for sure, especially with the added size of the 10000ft bloke they brought in from Victoria.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)

There will no doubt be boys from 2015 15a's that will feature in 1st XV rugby in 2016

NC - Small, Soli, Wood, Colvin

BGS - Gilbert, Shepherd

Tce - Howard

BSHS - Petaia, Alo emile

Churchie - Charles

IGS - Wallace, Keepa, Koorts

Any idea on the IONA boys?

Status
Not open for further replies.