• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
My comments stand and were not based on watching a 'couple of games' last season but watching the body of work and development of the team over the last 3 years.

For a start last season alone they transitioned the previous 10 to 9 to accommodate a new 10, (a player who was a better footballer than the boy he replaced but maybe not a better 9 - yet) their 'star' 12 moved to 15 to accommodate a new 12 who had never played union before. The starting 8 and 5 from the year before moved to 2 and 3 respectively, while the staring 1 went to 11!!!, the old 15 moved to 14 and they settled on a somewhat new 13 after playing at least 4 boys there in 2014 and they had a new 8 who moved in from the centers and mostly the B's.

All this on top of an immersion program that robbed them of precious training time and opportunity to play together consistently - injuries also took out the new 12 and various key forwards for games throughout the season.

The performance of a very unsettled team over a few games last season is only a very small part of the story that will unfold on the field in 2016.

Edit - the real potential and issues within this team moving forward was best evidenced in the trail V NC, that was the game you wanted to see of all last seasons fixtures.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
BAG said") their 'star' 12 moved to 15 to accommodate a new 12 who had never played union before.

The new recruits from RL often cop the blame. Wait until the parents get involved because " my jonnie" did not make the A team because of a new recruit and he has been in the A every year. I hope Dr Carroll is ready for that .

There is a solution.Tell Tom to stop his fixation/ belief the PI league boys are the best defenders.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
My comments stand and were not based on watching a 'couple of games' last season but watching the body of work and development of the team over the last 3 years.

For a start last season alone they transitioned the previous 10 to 9 to accommodate a new 10, (a player who was a better footballer than the boy he replaced but maybe not a better 9 - yet) their 'star' 12 moved to 15 to accommodate a new 12 who had never played union before. The starting 8 and 5 from the year before moved to 2 and 3 respectively, while the staring 1 went to 11!!!, the old 15 moved to 14 and they settled on a somewhat new 13 after playing at least 4 boys there in 2014 and they had a new 8 who moved in from the centers and mostly the B's.

All this on top of an immersion program that robbed them of precious training time and opportunity to play together consistently - injuries also took out the new 12 and various key forwards for games throughout the season.

The performance of a very unsettled team over a few games last season is only a very small part of the story that will unfold on the field in 2016.

Edit - the real potential and issues within this team moving forward was best evidenced in the trail V NC, that was the game you wanted to see of all last seasons fixtures.

Thanks B & G my comments (opinions) stand as well.can only comment on what I see and hear from the so called sideline experts.
  • 9 was settled
  • Backs did not function as 10 stood too deep in the pocket
  • No star centres? - 15 was not shifted back to 12 when injury hit
  • Trial game is just that nothing more than a trial game. Teams are measured on how they perform in Competition
bring on 2016 all will be answered

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Spotted Elton Flatley's son Josh in the First XI cricket team sheet for Southport today.

Spoke to a few boys about him while umpiring, and they figured he was more likely to appear fullback than at flyhalf for Southport in 2016.

Also heard they had a very, very, very big front rower new to the school. No names or details - just that he was the sort of guy you wouldn't want to piss off.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Never understood the uproar about little Johnny playing B's because of a new boy.

So what? If he was good enough to be playing A's in the first place they wouldn't have gone looking for a replacement. The coaches have decided that Johnny would be a better fit in the B's.

If he really wants to earn his spot in the A's he'll have to work hard and play well to get his spot back, or force his way in to the team in another position.

It's a life lesson to be learned, not a death sentence. Why the outcry?

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Tell Tom to stop his fixation/ belief the PI league boys are the best defenders.

Someone should also Tell Tom that even though it worked in his coaching years at ACGS, bringing RL boys and putting them in a union school doesn't change their RL brains to rugby brains.

RE Josh Flatley, I think he played most of his footy in the 16's at 12. Max Dowde (correct my spelling) was in year 11 and played first fullback, so I think he'll be back again putting Flatley firmly in the fold at 12.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Spotted Elton Flatley's son Josh in the First XI cricket team sheet for Southport today.

Spoke to a few boys about him while umpiring, and they figured he was more likely to appear fullback than at flyhalf for Southport in 2016.

Also heard they had a very, very, very big front rower new to the school. No names or details - just that he was the sort of guy you wouldn't want to piss off.

yes - he is bigger than Evander Guttenbeil and repeating grade 11.
Another boy from the northern NSW connection

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Never understood the uproar about little Johnny playing B's because of a new boy.

So what? If he was good enough to be playing A's in the first place they wouldn't have gone looking for a replacement. The coaches have decided that Johnny would be a better fit in the B's
If he really wants to earn his spot in the A's he'll have to work hard and play well to get his spot back, or force his way in to the team in another posi
It's a life lesson to be learned, not a death sentence. Why the outcry?

All true Mr King but there are not many of us that think like this . I hear Terrace are about to find this out- and from some pretty powerful parents. TSS went through this drama in mid 2000 s - so if you come here now you know what to expect from grade 10 onwards. I am all for it because as we have all seen it improves Qld and Wallaby rugby .

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
All true Mr King but there are not many of us that think like this . I hear Terrace are about to find this out- and from some pretty powerful parents. TSS went through this drama in mid 2000 s - so if you come here now you know what to expect from grade 10 onwards. I am all for it because as we have all seen it improves Qld and Wallaby rugby .
Terrace hay, bit of a shake up in the 15's maybe?
A not so little Johnny's mum will lose it if he is put in the B's
#freerideisover

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
So BBC's new head coach is Shane Drahm who has been with Nudgee for the last 3 years..... interesting....

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
So BBC's new head coach is Shane Drahm who has been with Nudgee for the last 3 years... interesting..

Yes and a few people here not happy.
BBC must be getting serious:

-Phillpotts is Aussie Schoolboys coach(and all round nice guy);
-Drahm;
-Steve Nance ( Wallabies World cup winner)
-Anthony Matheson (S&C).

I hope they know how hard Steve Nance is (just ask the Broncos).Not sure he will fit that affluent western suburbs culture.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Yes and a few people here not happy.
BBC must be getting serious:

-Phillpotts is Aussie Schoolboys coach(and all round nice guy);
-Drahm;
-Steve Nance ( Wallabies World cup winner)
-Anthony Matheson (S&C).

Matheson had moved to Ireland to take care of Munster's youth academy.

Surely he didn't come back four months later to take up an S&C role for a third GPS school in three years?

Not to mention it's one hell of a demotion from Premier Grade head coach to Strength and Conditioning at a perennially underachieving GPS school.

Edit: It's legit. He's joined BBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hey GO I am hearing word of a couple of missing students in year 10 at BBC this year - any truth??

No
They are back bigger better and faster than ever.
One was miscommunication with the Broncos which is now fine. He is very happy.
The other had a younger brother going into grade 8 that got an offer from GT that BBC could not/would match. But he stayed.
I think the "Headmaster agreement" was enforced.
Everyone is happy.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
No
They are back bigger better and faster than ever.
One was miscommunication with the Broncos which is now fine. He is very happy.
The other had a younger brother going into grade 8 that got an offer from GT that BBC could not/would match. But he stayed.
I think the "Headmaster agreement" was enforced.
Everyone is happy.

Good to hear - that age group is going to throw up some outstanding match up over the next few seasons.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Good to hear - that age group is going to throw up some outstanding match up over the next few seasons.
BraveandGame, 11 minutes ago Report
I agree the GT defensive effort last year to hand that team its first and only loss in 2 years was outstanding. GT was a very very well drilled team .

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hey GO I am hearing word of a couple of missing students in year 10 at BBC this year - any truth??

and all the sunshine coast boys are back - some with younger brothers.That boarding house is about 1/3 full of boys from Sunshine Coast ,Bundaberg and PNG
Lots of Little Willie Genia's running -around in grade 7 and 8 . Good luck to them . they have worked hard on those connections and spent a fortune on the BH

Status
Not open for further replies.